• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Box Office Weekend 23-25: Jason Bourne Puts a Bullet in Catwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevelyon

1) THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - $53,520,000
2) I, ROBOT - $22,050,000
3) CATWOMAN - $17,155,000
4) SPIDER-MAN 2 - $15,000,000
5) A CINDERELLA STORY - $8,040,000
6) ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY - $7,100,000
7) FAHRENHEIT 9/11 -$5,000,000
8) THE NOTEBOOK - $4,450,000
9) KING ARTHUR - $3,064,000
10 SHREK 2 - $2,400,000

Mrbob

Holy cow. That is one hell of an opening weekend for the Bourne Supremecy. That has to be above original estimates. I still haven't seen it yet! Maybe tonight!

Bourne just clobbered Catwoman and iRobot.

This is sick.

Might as well go see the movie.

Though I much prefer his role in EuroTrip.

"DON'T TELL SCOTTY!!"

Bourne deserved every penny, great flick/series!

NotMSRP said:
Is Bourne a Euro movie imported over here?
No. It's the sequel to the Bourne Identity. Matt Damon plays the titular role in both films, which are loosely based on a trilogy of books by Robert Ludlum.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
That opening ensures we'll get to see the 3rd book hacked into a 3rd movie.

Halle Berry I believe now is the proud owner of the lowest opening box office for a movie based on a comic book character, well at least in the last few years... Congrats Halle it couldn't go to a more deserving person!

Trevelyon

DarienA said:
Halle Berry I believe now is the proud owner of the lowest opening box office for a movie based on a comic book character, well at least in the last few years... Congrats Halle it couldn't go to a more deserving person!

Ah, Darien.. remember The Punisher . :)

davis

On Siskel and Ropper they were saying how The Bourne Identity was the most rented movie of 2003? I was like wtf, I enjoyed the 1st and I know it did pretty well considering it wasn't that hyped but I guess alot more people liked it than I thought. I thought it was great btw, they also gave the 2nd one a positive review.

lexy

Considering all the bad publicity Catwoman got, it actually did quite well =[

I was expecting it to earn much lower than 17M on it's opening weekend.

DarienA

Trevelyon said:
Ah, Darien.. remember The Punisher . :)

Ah crap.. completely blocked it out of my mind... Punisher only did a little over 13 mil in it's weekend.... still this was a much more high profile project. Punisher's budget was 33 mil, Catwoman was 100 mil. That makes it a MUCH bigger bomb, not Pluto Nash levels of bomb... but not far off.

DarienA

Alucard said:
That's awesome for The Bourne Supremacy.

Any idea how much money Catbomb cost to make?

"till this was a much more high profile project. Punisher's budget was 33 mil, Catwoman was 100 mil"

Trevelyon

15) Napoleon Dynamite - 1,625,000 - Total Gross - $6,534,000

Check out Napoleon, seventh week in and it recorded its biggest weekend take. Nearly 16 times that of its opening W/E gross.

Crazy!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
The Bookerman said:
Bourne just clobbered Catwoman and iRobot.

Though I much prefer his role in EuroTrip.

"DON'T TELL SCOTTY!!"

LMAO, even the thought of that song cracks me up.

I always wondered why they say these numbers include Sunday, but the numbers come out in the middle of the day. Why don't they just wait until Monday to report these numbers?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
bune duggy said:
I always wondered why they say these numbers include Sunday, but the numbers come out in the middle of the day. Why don't they just wait until Monday to report these numbers?

These are just the weekend estimates. The final numbers will come out tomorrow. Not that it really matters. They have the estimates down to a science. Very rarely will they be off by more than one or two million.

Tamanon

Banned
Napolean Dynomite apparently just actually started advertising, that would probably account for the minor boost:p

Trevelyon said:
15) Napoleon Dynamite - 1,625,000 - Total Gross - $6,534,000

Check out Napoleon, seventh week in and it recorded its biggest weekend take. Nearly 16 times that of its opening W/E gross.

Crazy!

It was the first weekend of wide release.

evil ways

I saw I, Robot last night, it was much better than I expected, except for Will Smith, who still plays the same, exact, lame, comic relief one liner spittin' character as in Independence Day and Bad Boys, and every single movie he has ever doner. I would have preferred a different, more serious actor for the lead role.

COCKLES

being watched
evil ways said:
I saw I, Robot last night, it was much better than I expected, except for Will Smith, who still plays the same, exact, lame, comic relief one liner spittin' character as in Independence Day and Bad Boys, and every single movie he has ever doner. I would have preferred a different, more serious actor for the lead role.

Couldn't agree me. I rolled my eyes when he slipped in his standard-issue 'I'm a black guy' gag that he does in every fucking one of his movies.

"We're a little disappointed," said Dan Fellman, president of domestic theatrical distribution at Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Pictures, which released "Catwoman." He said he had hoped the movie would open in the $20 million range."

Yeah. They're just a little disappointed that they spent 100 million on the movie and 35 million to market it, and the thing will be lucky to break 50 million. Wow, I wish I could be "a little disappointed" at flushing 100 million dollars down the toilet!:)

DMczaf

CATWOMAN
Domestic Total as of Jul. 25, 2004: $17,155,000 (Estimate)
Production Budget: $100 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $35 million

Owned.

Phoenix

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
"We're a little disappointed," said Dan Fellman, president of domestic theatrical distribution at Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. Pictures, which released "Catwoman." He said he had hoped the movie would open in the $20 million range."

Yeah. They're just a little disappointed that they spent 100 million on the movie and 35 million to market it, and the thing will be lucky to break 50 million. Wow, I wish I could be "a little disappointed" at flushing 100 million dollars down the toilet!:)

Yeah, they'll just write off the loss on Time Warners bottom line so I'm sure they aren't losing a lot of sleep over it. Better to make money, but if you lose it - at least you can write it off.

It is interesting that they only wanted something in the 20s for opening. If they opened in the 20's they likely wouldn't make the money back unless they've got some projections that are more 'long term' than anyone would believe :)

evil ways said:

do you really mean every one? Because Six Degrees of Seperation was an excellent film, and while The Legend of Bagger Vance wasn't that great, he wasn't his typical acting self in that movie either.

OmniGamer

bune duggy said:
do you really mean every one? Because Six Degrees of Seperation was an excellent film, and while The Legend of Bagger Vance wasn't that great, he wasn't his typical acting self in that movie either.

Few and far between...i agree wtih evil...i can't stand that patented "Will Smith" cockyness. Independance Day...the Earth is getting it's blue/green ass kicked, and during a briefing, out comes Will Smith(regardless of what his character's name is, "Will Smith" is still the dominant personality), with "I'm sorry, i'm just a little anxious to get up there and whup E.T.'s ass". Oh gaffaw....someone invent strangle-vision so I can choke the hell out of him through the screen.

DarienA

Killbin said:
Damn! I like THE PUNISHER. A really good movie! What about you, guys?

I haven't seen the new one, though I will when it comes out on DVD... I have to admit though... I actually like the Dolph version....

Phoenix

OmniGamer said:
Few and far between...i agree wtih evil...i can't stand that patented "Will Smith" cockyness. Independance Day...the Earth is getting it's blue/green ass kicked, and during a briefing, out comes Will Smith(regardless of what his character's name is, "Will Smith" is still the dominant personality), with "I'm sorry, i'm just a little anxious to get up there and whup E.T.'s ass". Oh gaffaw....someone invent strangle-vision so I can choke the hell out of him through the screen.

Oh come on... its not like crappy one-liners were Will Smith exclusives in Independence Day. We're not talking about a movie known for its script after all :)

OmniGamer

Phoenix said:
Oh come on... its not like crappy one-liners were Will Smith exclusives in Independence Day. We're not talking about a movie known for its script after all :)

They didn't have to be...it's his delivery that grates me. I can tolerate him in re-runs of The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air. I just can't stand his "Blockbuster" persona.

Meier

Killbin said:
Damn! I like THE PUNISHER. A really good movie! What about you, guys?

Dude this movie is dreadful. Next to Without a Paddle, I havent seen anything as awful as it this year.

Just got back from Bourne though.. holy shit! Amazing -- even better than the already great original. Paul Greengrass > you!

G4life98

WTF is wrong with people catwoman made entirely too much money.

i think the punisher was an ok movie with a bad first half, but to me the second halfs action made up for it.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
After finally getting around to watching Training Day, I think Denzil should have played Big Willy Styles' character

Alcibiades

Wow, Shrek 2 is still in the Top 10, and Catwoman is doing pretty decent considering the bad hype/press...

Time Warner won't be that bad off with this, considering it'll probably do something overseas (maybe $40-60 million), and have DVD sales to bring in good margins...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Jill Sandwich said:
Big Willy Styles'
In high school we were doing "presidential reports" and my partner and I got Clinton. Big Willy Style was still a recent song at them time and made for a perfect title, along with the prez's head photoshopped onto a picture of masterP in a pimp suite.

Oh.... and I saw both spiderman and bourne this weekend, they were good. suck it down cat woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom