• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What altitude/elevation do you live at?

What altitude/elevation do you live at?

• Total voters

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I became obsessed with learning about the altitude/elevation of different cities/places around the world ever since I learned that training/living at a high altitude improves your cardio since you have less oxygen to breathe and you have to develop more red blood cells to be able to carry more of this less available oxygen. Then when you visit the seaside you're boosted with all the extra oxygen you have available to breathe which would improve your performance in any aerobic-related physical activities.

I move/live at around between 400 to 600 feet above sea level, but the highest I have ever lived at was above 8,000 ft for a few months years ago.

Edit:

Credit to Pagusas Pagusas

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
100m, which is 328ft.

Isn’t there a town high up a mountain somewhere where they’re super adapted for the same reasons in the OP? I need to read about them again, I’ve forgotten the specifics

Cravis

In before all the high jokes

Snoop Dogg Smoking GIF by BrownSugarApp

MaestroMike

Gold Member
100m, which is 328ft.

Isn’t there a town high up a mountain somewhere where they’re super adapted for the same reasons in the OP? I need to read about them again, I’ve forgotten the specifics

Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Utah are on the Colorado plateau with many cities above 5,000 ft. Mexico has the Mexican plateau and South America has the Andean plateau. Africa has the Ethiopian highlands and Asia has the Tibetan plateau.

Asia/South America probably has the most people living up at the highest altitude.

Last edited:

haxan7

Banned
what latitude/longitude do you live at?

i'm at 299 ft

39.911300, 116.380500

Last edited:

Tschumi

currently about 6m above sea level

... haxan7 haxan7 do u actually live at those coords? cuz maybe i'm wrong but u appear to live in a city that means a lot to me :p

Last edited:
my house is ~311ft. i live in the most populated city in my country and i'm only about 50ft below the highest point in the entire city. so the majority of people in my entire country live below me! i'll be moving house soon and therefore going down to about 213ft. the highest point in my country is ~4,400ft and my city has a river going through it (which comes from the atlantic ocean). lots of my family live at about ~70-80ft above sea level.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Well I live in a place with hills. So I don’t have to worry about flooding at all or torrential rain. Home insurance companies use this type of data to assess your risk. The lower the elevation the higher the premium. Sucks to be living in a place where a flood can damage your collectables or in a flat area where a simple tornado can blow the roof off of your house or living by the sea and a tsunami can sweep your house. It’s all about location.

Dark Star

151 ft

somewhere in texas ...

my neighborhood was still kind of flooded during the last hurricane that hit galveston

Last edited:

StormCell

I'm at 1,083 ft.

I used to live at 2,350 ft. We would get a good amount of snow. We got a good deal more than the people living at 1800 ft just down the hill from us.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
4,880 according to my phone. My house is a split level built into the side of a mountain, nice views, walking the dog is decent exercise because of the 15% grades

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Have lived by the beach or harbour in Australia, and near the Thames in U.K, so I guess sea level all my life. I think I’d freak out if I didn’t live near water.

TheGrat1

1,171 ft/ 357 meters.
Sooo what height do we need to be at to survive the global flooding that’s coming?
I am in Pittsburgh. Over 300 miles/483 km inland, located on a mountain range's adjacent plateau and 3 major rivers around me for drainage (I am over 400 ft higher than the nearest one). IDGAF about flooding.

Top Bottom