• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 5 simply can't be remade, at least not to the standards of Capcom's best work. So the answer is not to remake, but to rewrite.

How should Capcom handle the Resident Evil 5 remake?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Synless

I mean, racial controversy or not, it’s just a shitty game that didn’t come close to approaching the greatness of games like RE2 and RE4. If they’re doing RE5 I’d be much more interested in a full on remake than a remaster. I’d also rather see Code Veronica and RE1/0 get the RE2R/RE4R treatment than RE5/6.
Wrong, it’s one of the best up there with RE1, 2, and 4.

Personally one of my most replayed with friends.

Last edited:

NickFire

This makes as much sense as saying they should remake Debbie Does Dallas. But the Cowboys keep flaming out in playoffs and you can’t have that. So call it Debbie does Dallas but make the guys wear Giants uniforms.

CSJ

Next up: Capcom announces it will never make games set in Africa or have any black people in it.
IGN: 😲 but

or

They're still in Africa but everyone is white.

What are they actually asking? Oh that's right they just want to be angry about something.

cormack12

Gold Member
uOYWlHi.jpg

Based community notes lmao. I actually enjoy twitter for the CN rather than tweets these days.

Eiknarf

Banned
Interesting topic here. Unfortunately, they disabled comments on X and the article so it's hard to get a read on if people agree with their take. Personally, I don't want a remake if they're going to butcher it.

Dated design

Touchy subject matter

Link

So it was Matt Purslow who wrote the article right? Does all of IGN agree, or was it an opinion piece?
It’d be great if they let him go

IAmRei

This might be an unpopular opinion... but RE5 was literally an arcadey-ish, cover based, 3rd person action game, it cranked up RE4's "action horror" to a silly degree. Add co-op to the mix and it dumbs down the horror vibe even more. Does it make it a bad game? Hell no, I really enjoyed it and took it for what it was. You could also say the same about RE6, cept the script was created by a mad scientist who wanted everything plus 4 kitchen sinks throwing in.
same, I enjoy the game. not consider it horror game or any. just like house of the dead, i find it enjoyable. and the main character is badass duo which i like. not for anyone, but still quite fun for some.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
If you have friends its awesome.
I don't like playing campaign co-op, I did play a fair amount of co-op mercenaries with a friend, and we got a decent amount of play out of it.

Perhaps some people would have a different opinion of the game if it was co-op only.

N30RYU

Just make all the black ppl trans... and make the uroboros come from their pants... problem solved

Last edited:

Majukun

in terms of rewrriting the atmosphere and gameplay "loop" through the narrative i'd say i agree...5 is when the series decided to turn full action game and completely cast the survival horror part aside, and since the remake REs are all about bringing back the old series, it would make no sense to remake the actioney part.

about the black people issue, i barely played the original, but can't say i remember the game depicting pre-zombified "residents" as savages , violent or both.

and neither seem the two example they link tbh, one just complains that we are shooting poor people and since he grew up in an unpoverished african village it feels uncomfortable doin so...understandable, but that's no fault of the game.
The inhabitants of that spanish village in 4 didn't look exactly wealthy, yet no complain was made there.
second one says something similiar by saying that it's like making a re in the 40s in europe, which i guess means with war-thorn cities and citiziens...and i'm sorry but hasn't that already been done?

it is very strange that what they are asking is essentially to whitewash the zombies, or crearte an entirely different game just to avoid having to do so.

Megatron

I don't like playing campaign co-op, I did play a fair amount of co-op mercenaries with a friend, and we got a decent amount of play out of it.

Perhaps some people would have a different opinion of the game if it was co-op only.
You can’t sell a $60 game that co-op only. Especially to gamers who are notoriously friendless, lol.

Apocryphon

It’s dogshit like RE6. Too much of a focus on action when RE4 was already pushing it, no enough focus on horror and puzzles. Shitty characters. Shitty level based structure. Over abundance of ammo and healing items. Forced co-op gameplay. Awful on-rails shooting segments. Awful QTE sections….

It’s one of the worst games in the series IMO.

It’s dogshit like RE6. Too much of a focus on action when RE4 was already pushing it, no enough focus on horror and puzzles. Shitty characters. Shitty level based structure. Over abundance of ammo and healing items. Forced co-op gameplay. Awful on-rails shooting segments. Awful QTE sections….

Yeah but why use one of the greatest QTEs ever as proof of this?

bender

What time is it?

They could rewrite it and let you play as the boulder.

074.png

violence

You could say RE4 replaced zombies with Spanish people and no one batted an eye. They may as well only use white people in everything because you can do what ever you want to them.

Last edited:

NT80

As a co-op maybe but as a single player game it just felt like an inferior RE4 and ended really badly. There was a talent drain after Gamecube RE4 was made and it really showed in Capcom's output for some time after that.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
RE5 was great. Out of the context of this racist nonsense, it always fell short because it followed RE4. Same with Final Fantasy VII and VIII.

I personally loved how gamey it felt. Co op was a great experience, Mercs was great as per standard, AI partner in single play was fine, people mostly bitched about giving her ammo sink guns and her immediately running through ammo, or using a full heal on a minor injury. It always struck me as a sort of metagame, kind of like setting Gambits for one person in FFXII, the ultimate extension of resource management. The hallmarks of base management, survival horror, and TPS action, all in neatly packed little chapters with pre chapter load out screens. Emblems and shit to collect in game, tons of extra modes and unlockables. A return of the files littering the explorable areas. I fucking love RE5.

Only issues I see is the terrible 3x3 grid inventory. I honestly feel like a good marriage of RE4 mechanics and partner management would be something like having both characters use the same attache case, or more of a need to distribute ammo between one another or something. Could maybe also use more emergent opportunities within free play to split up and tackle objectives/encounters with different player builds. Have a sniper Sheva in a Place with the enhanced verticality of RE4R's environments while Chris wears body armor and shotties on the ground. There were a few of these situations in the game, obviously, but they often felt like set piece moments, very specific scripted things that you couldn't learn from and improvise for future battles. A lot of RE5's co op splits were over a wider horizontal area than a vertical one. This was great for separating the characters and creating scenarios more reminiscent of RE4 and past games, but it did very little for making the implementation of co op more engaging.

I'd love to read a good editorial about shit like that, but racism. Of course. Because black people are being depicted in Africa and becoming Zombies in a zombie game. Al Sharpton is having palpitations.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
All this racism talk about the infected dudes who have no control over what they do, yet the main villain of the whole game who is making conscious decisions is a white male. But yeah we don't mention that. Huh.
Should he allow the zombies to eat him because they're black? Are you serious? I can't tell.

I mean, racial controversy or not, it’s just a shitty game that didn’t come close to approaching the greatness of games like RE2 and RE4. If they’re doing RE5 I’d be much more interested in a full on remake than a remaster. I’d also rather see Code Veronica and RE1/0 get the RE2R/RE4R treatment than RE5/6.
RE5 is underrated because it gets unfairly lumped in with RE6 which was a total dumpster fire.

It's not RE2 or RE4 but not being a 10/10 doesn't mean it's bad.

laynelane

I think he misunderstood what you were saying

Was the video version posted? IGN got ratioed hard there and the comments are ON.

As a native Nigerian, y'all really gotta stop being offended for us.

Top comment on the video at this time. Really sums up a lot of the various issues surrounding this, doesn't it? I'm hoping more people speak up like this. I can only imagine how maddening this is for many of the people being 'defended' by these gaming activists/bloggers.

Top Bottom