• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN: Resident Evil 5 simply can't be remade, at least not to the standards of Capcom's best work. So the answer is not to remake, but to rewrite.

How should Capcom handle the Resident Evil 5 remake?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Rewrite it so that Chris says the N-word, just to see these journalists foaming.

Jokes aside, I wonder if there’s room for a globe-throttling RE5 that mixes CV into the mix: in CV, you briefly play as Chris, then there’s the Lost in Nightmares and then finally RE5. Not sure if there’s a way to make a cohesive Chris story with a RE5 Remake that touches all those points and where does Claire, Jill & Sheeva fit in that.
Part of me wants to see the Co-op taken out, but I admit it was the best part of the original too.

Regardless, Capcom has been cooking lately so I say we sit and wait.

EDMIX

Interesting topic here. Unfortunately, they disabled comments on X and the article so it's hard to get a read on if people agree with their take. Personally, I don't want a remake if they're going to butcher it.

Dated design

Touchy subject matter

Link

lolz....

yea fucking remake the game.

I have no clue what IGN is thinking with this crap.

REMAKE IT! lol

fatmarco

Resident Evil 6 literally had you go to Bosnia to kill Bosnians/Serbs, and destroy the city of Mostar, and literally not a single article was written about it. No one gave a shit hahah (to the degree that even finding a mention of this in google, its near impossible to find aka. killing Eastern Europeans is acceptable/expected imagery in games so no self reflection required).

I mean if you're going to take theoretically principled stances, you have to be consistent about them. Otherwise it's just preferential and arbitrary uproar.

Last edited:
I skipped to the "touchy subject" section, because I know that's what IGN wanted to talk about the whole time. The rest is just meandering.

Anyway, boring conversation.
Remake RE 5, and stop assuming everyone is a baby that can't handle the simple concept of "Game takes place in Africa, you will be dealing with mostly black infected", the End.

If Capcom wants to do a more culturally sensitive version of that game, that's fine and understandable. They need to adapt, that's fine.

But people need to stop acting like Resident Evil 5 is this untouchable "yikes" game that we should all just ignore and not talk about it because the developers were wearing KKK costumes during the entirety of its development, and you are basically supporting the massacre of black people for talking about the game in a positive light.

Grow the fuck up, jesus christ.

Larxia

How can you even win though? The game is in africa, and it's racist because you kill black zombies... but if the devs had made the zombies white in the first place, these same people would have been mad and said it's racist to put white people instead of black in Africa. So what do you do? lol

hemo memo

Gold Member
Chris is punching a giant boulder… I mean that’s just stupid. Of course rewrite that shit.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

The only racism I see is in the article where he does that thing of capitalising Black but not white.

Anyway, was Resident Evil 4 racist against white people for only featuring Spanish zombies? Equality means black people can be zombies too.
Amen. I laughed when a bunch of the enemies in the final product looked like Saddam Hussein. The latest Gmanlives video highlights how over the top the game was. Farcry 2 was far more realistic with a fraction of the"controversy".

Needlecrash

I had no problem with Resident Evil 5 aside from the annoying green tint filter, and I'm Black.

Sheva's VA never had a problem with the game too regarding the "supposed subject matter."

Remove the green tint filter, modernize the game like RE 4 remake with NO cuts and that's it.

Last edited:

Ribi

How about Capcom stop remaking things and makes something new? Remember when people hated them as much as most companies before they put remakes in your faces so you'd forget how shit they are? Ye I remember

How about Capcom stop remaking things and makes something new? Remember when people hated them as much as most companies before they put remakes in your faces so you'd forget how shit they are? Ye I remember
They have done to perfection everything when it comes to remakes. After Resident Evil 4, there is nothing to improve upon. At this point, it is literally beating a dead horse

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
This outrage was like Horse Armor DLC. At the time, it seemed so harmless. Just some brief stupidity, and then people will come to their senses.

Now it's 2024 and...

They should not even touch RE5, there would be too much work needed to make it a good RE game. They should rather give Code Veronica the RE2 Remake treatment and we have another great RE game.

Or they make a new RE5 with a new story (completely ignoring what happened after RE4) to bring the franchise to a better conclusion than with RE5+6.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Yeah people just kept buying it cause they hated it, I guess the 12 million copies for RE6 are all just hate buyers.
He's right though? RE5 hype was through the roof because RE4 was literally one of the most influential games of all time. RE4 saved the series (even fans were starting to feel like things were getting stagnant at the time). Not to say that RE5 wasn't a good game. I enjoyed it. It just wasn't anywhere near RE4 in quality or tone. That, along with trash reviews, is likely why RE6 sold less despite having the most funding for development and marketing in the series. It's also why the 4remake is poised to be the highest seller in the entire series.

I agree with IGN in that the game needs a rewrite. The setting isn't something I want to change, but I'd like less corridors and more unique acts/locations like RE4 to go with a more open map. First act can still be the Majini village/caves. No idea how to theme the last two acts though. Also, tone down the action a bit and bring in more of a horror tone.

I'd also like to kick the co-op and make it a single player game. I know that one is more controversial though.

Tangerine

Things will only get worse before they get better.

Hopefully as more and more people turn sour on political correctness and woke ideology this stuff will start to make losses or even tank due to effective boycotts.

Hopefully ign will die too.

If that's what it takes for some normality and sanity to return to the gaming industry so be it.

Cyberpunkd

Its kind of hypocrite though.

You can blast white people in RE1-3, CV etc. You can blast latin people in RE4. And for RE5 they went to Africa. I thought the setting sucked, but not so much because of the enemies. It was just not fit for an RE game. Too bright, too much desert. And at some points it felt like Tomb Raider.

But in terms of Gameplay and Mercs, RE5 handily beat RE4. I think at its core there is a place for a new RE5. After so many single player RE games, why not a new co-op game with these revised mechanics?
Black people are the new children in video games.

Wait, isn’t it an incredibly patronising concept?

Confused Kevin James GIF by TV Land

Last edited:

GymWolf

Resident Evil 6 literally had you go to Bosnia to kill Bosnians/Serbs, and destroy the city of Mostar, and literally not a single article was written about it. No one gave a shit hahah (to the degree that even finding a mention of this in google, its near impossible to find aka. killing Eastern Europeans is acceptable/expected imagery in games so no self reflection required).

I mean if you're going to take theoretically principled stances, you have to be consistent about them. Otherwise it's just preferential and arbitrary uproar.
Didn't you heard the last news? You can't be racist to white people.

It's ok to kill every one of them.

The funny thing is that people blasted days gone for not having black zombies even if the game has like 2 ingame explanation for that.
But if the game had black zombies, you can bet your ass they would have problem with white saviour deacon killing innocent dark skinned meat eaters...

You can't win with the mongoloid crowd.

Last edited:
Uh - I really didn’t need to hear about this today.

It’s so tiring when non-zombie writers tell a story about zombies. We need to speak to some zombies, get them involved early in the creative process and let them tell their story.

If there’s pushback from the higher ups - just tell them that if the zombies find out your game marginalises them, they will protest and boycott the shit out of it - then see how they like that.

Anyway, I’m going back to bed, because the postman put some letters through my letterbox and the flap made a noise, so I need to post some thoughts on the internet and process that for a while.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Same setting but the fictional West African country has long been invaded and colonized by white people.

Chris Redfield rightfully went to jail for police brutality during the BLM movement before the outbreak and they had to send in Philips Banks, who just happens to be African American, in his place.

Turns out the virus has mutated and turns everyone in the country into horrible mutated abominations, also called “Chuds”.

It's always the same suspects peddling the same cringy, braindead takes and pushing the same regressive 'message'.

If it's okay to fight against white zombies in 20-something different Resident Evil games, then it's also okay to fight against black zombies in another.

That's not racist, in fact, it's the opposite. It was a made up problem then, and it's still a made up problem now.

What a hellish cultural environment for developers.

Shut0wen

Are game journalists in some type of mental problem?

Why so many terrible articles in a small gapse of time?
Ehh its a good read and a valid point, re5 changed vecause muh racism and it was worst off, so much content for a game that was a decent coop game but q shite resident evil game

Braag

IGN has turned into that meme where a white person complains that if you have a white protagonist shooting black npcs, it's white hate. If you have a black protagonist shooting at white npcs, it depicts black people as violent. If you have a black protagonist shooting at black npcs, you're encouraging black on black crime. And if you have no black characters in your game, you're a racist and your game should have better diversity.

Top Bottom