• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some of the things you HATE about modern gaming?

Krathoon

There really is no such thing as a gaming community. It tends to be very adversarial in my experience.

You don't quite have strangers directly helping each other in games.

Forsythia

Fucking battle passes. Pay 10 bucks to grind and get all the content you paid for. Didn’t finish the pass? Well, fuck you, you're not getting everything. That's another 10 bucks for the next pass please. I sure hope you don't like any other game, cause this is the only one you'll be playing to get your money's worth.

Krathoon

They try to make multiplayer a thing when people really don't want to play together.

Part of the problem is that they make an MMO really elaborate and that just makes people pissed at other people if they don't get the game mechanics.

Fbh

Specifically of modern games:
- Over abundance of bloat, the need for everything to be 30+ hours even if the content and gameplay variety to justify it isn't there.
- Increasing focus on live service games.
- A lot of focus on "loot" and crafting and going through a repetitive grind to get small incremental upgrades to your gear.
- The idea that cosmetic microtransactions in a full priced game are ok because it doesn't affect gameplay.
- AAA gaming focusing on graphics above everything else with game design feeling like it hasn't evolved a whole lot since the Ps3/360 era
- Open worlds still built around the same dated "follow the GPS" formula

Iced Arcade

Open world fad, above all, followed by invincible chaser fad in "survival" horror games.
Robin Williams What Year Is It GIF

you need to brush up on definitions

Daytonabot

Banned
Context-sensitive controls. For example, the same button in State of Decay 2 refuels a vehicle, gets in a vehicle and grabs an enemy. If enemies are near the back left of a vehicle, get ready for action roulette.

0neAnd0nly

• Updates to gameplay and physics POST launch. I have seen this far too often, people want every game to be the same and complain at the smallest tweaks (look at CoD for example). Sort of wish developers would just launch what they made and leave it to simmer - like they use to. Updates should only be for performance, additions or bugs.

• Lack of making FUN games. The game industry like much of entertainment today feels the need to tell everybody how to feel about serious situations. Sitting above us plebes kind of attitude. Sometimes the cinematic wannabe nature works and is truly good, but sometimes games start to really weigh on me with the current direction. We severely lack just “FUN” games. There are some, but they are seldom blockbusters anymore outside of Nintendo.

Krathoon

That is kind of the problem with entertainment. It does not really get you anywhere. It does sometimes expose you to ideas or subject matter you didn't know about.

Ghostwire Tokyo digs into Japanese folklore and the paranormal.

Last edited:

daclynk

1. The focus on realism and how cinematic games can be over fun and fluidity.

2. Oversaturation of certain genres such as Soulsborne, linear slow walking games like TLOU and GOW, too many open world games which follow the same formula.

3. Delays constantly happening because the developers give release dates too early.

4. Lack of creativity of AAA games.

5. The overabundance of remakes and reboots. Barely any originality nowadays.

6. Microtransactions being overly abused. Games being explicity milked for cash. In Tales of Arise, a 2021 game when you literally go to the campfire to rest the game shoves "Buy microtransactions" in your face. It's getting out of hand.

7. Unfinished games being released with the DLC released to complete the story.

8. Censorship for private messages on PSN.
yes this is everything i hate about so Called Modern age of gaming. oh and A Gamer that defineds a start of a NEW GENERATION that couldnt be done on old Gen.

Krathoon

I remember playing Mass Effect and getting pissed off that the game was so damn long. I would think it was about to end and then there was this whole other part.

T4keD0wN

Cant come up with anything worse than games that compile shaders during gameplay. Always online single player and launchers that launch another launcher are pretty terrible, but they are still multiple stratospheres below that.

Last edited:
Things I absolutely hate about gaming in 2022:

1. Hand holding - Developers feel a great need to make sure you understand every aspect of their games. The magic of figuring something out on your own or finding out through friends or communities is fading away. Even “missions” tell you exactly what to do , step by step without giving you the freedom to do it how you see fit. I miss games like Morrowind.

2. Voice chat on mute - Most developers put voice chat on mute or make it difficult to get voice chat working as normally intended. This new age of sensitivity for others has ruined what make’s online gaming so fun. We are meant to shit talk in competitive situations. Today’s developers shy away from this and online gaming feels extremely isolated compared to the 360 generation.

3. Drip feed / MTX - not much to say about this one. The constant “reward the player” drip feed design of modern games has completely ruined what games can and should be. Developers have no insensitive to actually make a good classic game anymore because they stand to leave too much money on the table. They serve the brain dead gen z lazy ass kids who have an attrition span of a goldfish.

Krathoon

It used to be that you would have some real stinkers. Corpse Killer, for example. AVGN made a career off of it.
Games don't get that bad anymore on average.

Oh there‘s plenty. I hate that every game nowadays feels more like work than fun. There‘s RPG systems in almost every game, something to level up, some tedious menus you have to work through, some complicated battle system because every other developer tries to release a very very special snowflake while they don‘t seem to realize that you can‘t reinvent the wheel. Give us basic gameplay that‘s sinple and fun and that just works and I‘d be happy to play the game, Celeste for example hit it on the spot!

Then I hate everything multilayer related. Multiplayer ain‘t fun anymore since everyone and their mothers are chilling in their own private parties and the voicechat in public parties is dead as can be. Not being able to tell anyone that I screwed his mother last night is boring.

Oh and then there‘s bloated games like Assassins Creed. I remember the times when Assassins Creed, although open world, was a pretty straight forward action adventure. And i miss these times.

I like short, intense experiences, being married and working full time for my family, times have changed and I‘d love to have the time to play through a 200 hour Assassins Creed, but I just don‘t. I have the money to buy games but I lack time. I‘d rather go for a walk with my dog instead of relearn the controls and mechanics of a game which takes hours to do nowadays.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

- I hate when games cheaply use this kind of animation, the skelletal 2d shitty animation.

- I hate when people who claim to be "expert gamers" only know that it's FIFA, COD, Gears of War, Zelda, Fortnite.... but they don't know about games like Vanquish, Siren, Monster Hunter or some other saga.... No They know how to diversify tastes, or only play trash games like Candy Crush or Cheap mobile games.

- Video game analysts, in General

- Supposedly idol streamers... who only shout or lack good taste, only criticize a game for nonsense...

- The stupid "Survival Horror" video games that scare the hell out of you with Jumpscare... The ones that lack setting or story.

- I want to play a video game... You can't because you have to download a 20 GBS fucking patch

- An enemy in a video game is different, because of the color change... or because it has a different detail than another... That's what I didn't like about Zelda BOTW.

- MTX, Example... if you headshot an enemy with a sniper... still living with 3 headshots in the same damn head, buy a gold sniper to make it more powerful.

Those cheaply animated 2D games make me instantly groan and die inside a little more every time I see them. It is awful. Both in mobile and regular gaming. I also agree with everything else you stated.

- Always online
- Generation Z music
- Cringe dialogues
- Social media stuff/memes
- Forcing you into horrible mechanics
- DRM
Yeah, that reminds me, the lack of legit rock and metal in racing games is horrible. It seems all Gen z listens to is rap and "pop". Which is kinda strange.

I guess they can't help it if rock isn't being carried on to the next Gen. Don't know why that is. My Gen x Gen carried on from the boomers and them from the silent jazz/folk people.

Including Fallout 3, the same team made that so that's 3 games in 5 years and they still had Obsidian make another one, so from a consumer's point of view, 4 games to buy and play in 5 years, not it takes years to make 1 open world game.
Rockstar as well, as they made gta 3, vice city, San Andreas, Gta4, rdr1, LA noire, bully, warriors, liberty and vice city stories, China Town wars, and gta5. 12 games in 12 years yet we didn't get a single gta in last gens 8 (10) years

We also didn't get a single elder scrolls. They just keep re-releasing old games and its crazy.

laynelane

Having to wait for a game to update before I can play it. It's fine when the update is tied to bug fixes or performance, but there's a couple of games I've been playing where updates are solely about adding to their store - which I never use and never will. And these useless additions just keep swelling the size of the game and how much space it is taking up.

Krathoon

I find it funny how the online multiplayer on Mortal Kombat Kollection was totally dead. It was also due to using Windows Live.
It looks like they totally disabled it now.
It may be still alive in the console versions.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

there is 'obession' toward inserting certain skin colour, unnecessary 'feminism' or sexual preferences in videogame foremost above everything else.

like...instead of people worried and discussed about the game, be it gameplay, story, character or even visual, some vocal people only care about presentation of this things foremost while ignored other fundamental aspect. stuff like that should be secondry or fourth aspect. videogame is about fun, about quality of content and not all about appearance of certain type of 'image'.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

forced walking sections , poor level design ( the most recent example is in a plague tale requiem , i had to go into a house that had a fence around it , a very small one like 1 m tall but instead of just jumping across i had to circle around and use my sling to break the chain from the gate ) , quick time / button mash events , cutscenes every 15-20 min of gameplay in a 10-20h game , constant hints for puzzle solving ( like in horizon forbidden west , if you cant solve the puzzle aloy will give you the solution ) , diversity for the sake of diversity

Last edited:
Probably been said now, but the thing I hate is that nothings instant anymore. Sure I used to have to go and physically buy a game in-store which was a bit of a hassle (buy slso good fun) also things could be sold out which was a bummer.
But these days, half the time I want to play a game I haven’t played in a while, even with it installed I’ll likely have to download some gargantuan update, even then it’s usually a minute or so from launch to playing with all the fucking logins and update checks and database synching and fuck knows what else. I do miss just saying ‘hey I want to play this game’ and a minute later I was playing it.

killatopak

Everything post Oblivion maybe even post ps2/xbox/gamecube. Everything post iphone. subscriptions, microtransactions, gacha, free to play.

Everything seems to revolve around monetization such as there is no more level playing field. It used to be such that everyone had an equal starting point that brings people of every standing at the same starting and end points.

Games are entirely made to revolve around squeezing every last penny from you. If not that then you're just a number to put in terms of engagement. Someone to entice other people to pay more.

$70 price tags for games
The funny part is that, if you left everything else equal but adjusted for inflation, games should cost $90.

Considering how much more money is spent on creating modern games, and how relatively low they are priced, it's no wonder that every publisher is scrambling to make their games live services with microtransactions and lootboxes.

Naked Lunch

Basing games around limited timed events. Once you start - the game forces you to finish or lose the time you spent on it in the first place.
You are forced to play that game - and only that game.
Games like this have turned the hobby into a job - clock in and do your time.
Its absurd.

I got wrapped up in this in World of Tanks a few years ago - never again.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
  • Douchebags that whine about games being inclusive
  • Douchebags that harass developers
  • Douchebags that blame diverse staff in game studios as a reason the game didn't turn out the way they wanted
  • Douchebags that know nothing about game development who whine incessantly about game delays, a game's story not going how they specifically think it should have gone, etc..

Douchebags, is pretty much what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Yeah. They give you in game extras now for pre-orders. Nothing material.

The Nintendo Club used to give more substantial rewards too.

Stuart360

I have to be honest here, i have a silly one, but its one that annoys me quite a bit lol. Having to hold down a button to open a door, or flip a switch, etc.
Its soemthing that creeped into games over the last few years and i cant figure out why or what its for?. Is it incase you press the wrong button or something?.

light2x

How long development cycles have gotten. I remember when we used to get multiple new IPs and sequels in a 5 year window from all console makers in several different genres. Now it takes 5+ years to make a decent game and post-launch support guarantees that studio will remain busy with said game for 6-7 years.

I don't even care about the annoying things in modern gaming. I just want more games at a faster pace. I wonder why is it that every years games take longer and longer to make.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
How long development cycles have gotten. I remember when we used to get multiple new IPs and sequels in a 5 year window from all console makers in several different genres. Now it takes 5+ years to make a decent game and post-launch support guarantees that studio will remain busy with said game for 6-7 years.

I don't even care about the annoying things in modern gaming. I just want more games at a faster pace. I wonder why is it that every years games take longer and longer to make.

It's because games are exponentially more complex than ever before. You can't have Read Dead Redemption 2, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, and The Last of Us: Part II and at the same time have short development cycles. It's not possible.

That's one of the many reasons we're seeing more and more remakes. It allows for a speedier development time while still retaining the type of fidelity and presentation that is expected out of AAA games today.

Top Bottom