• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you going to miss most about physical video games discs?

BootsLoader

Banned
With news of BestBuy moving away from physical media next year along with the rumored disc less Series X refresh, what are you going to miss most about having a physical copy of a game?

For me, it’s having those awesome midnight launch party lining up with my friends to be one of the first few to play the game online. That and talking to other gamers there with the same hobby. How about you guys?
Madea Whats Wrong With You GIF by BET Plus

Why are you talking about physical like it’s dead?

DragonNCM

With news of BestBuy moving away from physical media next year along with the rumored disc less Series X refresh, what are you going to miss most about having a physical copy of a game?

For me, it’s having those awesome midnight launch party lining up with my friends to be one of the first few to play the game online. That and talking to other gamers there with the same hobby. How about you guys?
Honestly.......I will be missing cleaning all the dust from my gaming/entertainment media 3 times per year...
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Roberts

Absolutely nothing.

Now, if they stop releasing films on Bluray and UHD then I’m fucked, but thankfully I don’t think boutique labels will go under anytime soon.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I havent done it in forever. (Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon)
But opening a box and seeing it has multiple disks always gave me a hard on, cuz I knew i was gonna be in this world for a while.
Seeing the "Insert Disk 2" prompt made it all the sweeter.
IMG_4560.JPG

Lining up my game collection.
I can still do this by printing my own boxarts......but it just aint worth it.
w21c2q2n7kf51.jpg

Probably what I miss the most is having detailed booklets inside physical media.
s-l1600.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What was a ballpark figure for the down payment if you don’t mind me asking? Must have been a decent sized collection!
It was about $25,000. This was approximately half of my retro game collection - tons of NES, SNES, N64 games as well as a few more recent things like DS and 3DS games. Some PS1 and Gamecube games as well. Overall, nearly 800 individual eBay auctions - some that sold close to the $10 starting bid, others that went for hundreds of dollars for the more rare stuff I had. This was my personal collection of things I had left over from growing up and collecting through my 20s and 30s.

It was legitimately a ton of work - answering buyer questions, picking / packing / shipping. I bought a thermal laser printer just to make the process easier. Boxes and boxes of #2 envelopes and bubble wrap. It took a solid four months of listing about 50 auctions per week before I finally realized I had enough money and could stop.

It was really fun afterwards trying to convince my mortgage lender that the money coming into my account from PayPal was actually legitimate and wasn't just a gift from relatives or whatever.

Lender: "Old game cartridges? Like Mario Kart?" (actual quote)
Me: "Yes, Mario Kart and many others. Here is a printout from eBay showing what I've sold, and here are the totals from PayPal showing the incoming payments and transfers to my bank."
Lender: "Why would people want to buy those old games? Aren't there like... newer video games?" (another actual quote)

I still have 6 medium size Home Depot moving boxes filled with the other half of the collection that I packed up when I moved and have yet to unpack 3 years later. I should probably go ahead and list those up and clear it out of my office, but every time I think about doing that I just remember how much work it was before. And of course, the problem keeps compounding now that I'm up over 200 PS4 games, 30 or so PS5 games, and nearly 300 Switch titles in my "modern" collection.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am not missing out on anything. PlayStation still has discs.

Ownership, offline, collections, displaying, cheaper price, 1.0 version if I want, goodies in the box.
THE SMELL

Rambone

Nothing. Moving over to digital was the best thing I've done to reduce the clutter in my home. Unfortunately women my age are less likely to ride my dick if they see my house is full of man child collectibles, no regrets. I'm also old enough now that I don't give a fuck about game boxes, manuals, art OR having to get up to swap discs.

Top Bottom