• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best Genesis games? Help a Genesis noob out.

Drakken

So, my brother just got me a Genesis for my birthday. I've never had a Genesis before, and I don't know much about its good games. I missed out on it; I always had Nintendo systems.

These are the games that came with the Genesis:

Animaniacs
Bulls vs. Lakers
Columns (in the 6-Pack)
Golden Axe (in the 6-Pack)
Jeopardy!
Mortal Kombat
NFL '95
NFL Football '94
NHLPA Hockey 93
Olympic Summer Games
Revenge of Shinobi (in the 6-Pack)
Sonic the Hedgehog (in the 6-Pack)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sports Talk Football '93
Street Fighter II Special Champion Edition
Streets of Rage (in the 6-Pack)
Super Hang-On (in the 6-Pack)
The Adventures of Mighty Max
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Winter Olympic Games

So, to all you knowledgeable Genesis fans; what are the best games? I need to know what to look for.

Thank you kindly. :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Some of my favorites were Space Harrier II (3D scrolling shooter), Phantasy Star 2(RPG), Herzog Zwei(RTS), Target Earth (side scrolling robot shoot em' up, hell of a hard game, and precursor to Cybernator) and Forgotten Worlds (shoot em' up).

(and Herzog Zwei is still one of the best RTS's of all time)

Timo

ranger x, gunstar heroes, streets of rage, rocket knight adventure, castlevania: bloodlines, landstalker, sonic 3, vector man is good, chakan, and maybe shaq fu.

jarrod

Banned
Here comes jarrod with the required ARPGs...

-LandStalker: The Treasure of King Nole (SEGA/Climax Entertainment)
-Beyond Oasis (SEGA/Ancient)
-The Crusader of Centy (Atlus Software/Nextech Corp)
-Wonder Boy in Monster World (SEGA/WestOne Bit Entertainment)
-Monster World IV (SEGA/WestOne Bit Entertainment) *JP only

Well, you have some good to ones to start. Also look for Road Rash 1 and 2, Streets of Rage 2, Batman (Sunsoft), Cool Spot, Golden Axe 2, Aladdin, Biohazard Battle.

SantaC

quackshot
strider
jurrasic park
Wonderboy games
Another World
Alladin
Castlevania Bloodlines
Castle of Illusion
Wanderers from Ys
Streets of Rage games
Populous
Outrun

spliced

You got NHL 93 and that's a beautiful thing.

I'd recomend Beyond Oasis(adventure/rpg) and Shadowrun(futuristic rpg).

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mystic Defender was pretty tight as well. (side scrolling adventure game)

Damn I had an awesome Genesis library :)

Drakken

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. A special thanks for that link, Fuzzy; that should be helpful.

Could you be sure to list what genres the games are in when suggesting them too? Like I said, I'm not that knowledgeable about Genesis games.

TheDuce22

Banned
My favorites.

Phantasy Star 3 and 4
Speedball 2
Alladin
Herzog Zwei
General Chaos
Road Rash 3
Sonic 3
Shining Force 2
Shinobi Series
Toejam and Earl
Streets of Rage series

There wasn't too much on the Genesis that I played, but I really liked: Xmen 1 & 2, Ristar, Comix Zone, Vectorman, Altered Beast, and of course all of the Sonic games.

And there was also this one cowboy shooter that I loved but I don't remember the name of it. It had this one cowboy in blue and the 2nd player could be this one Mexican dude in a pink pancho I think :lol But yea, it was awesome.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Shinoobi said:
There wasn't too much on the Genesis that I played, but I really liked: Xmen 1 & 2, Ristar, Comix Zone, Vectorman, Altered Beast, and of course all of the Sonic games.

And there was also this one cowboy shooter that I loved but I don't remember the name of it. It had this one cowboy in blue and the 2nd player could be this one Mexican dude in a pink pancho I think :lol But yea, it was awesome.

Was it Sunset Riders?

GhaleonEB

Landstalker
Shining in the Darkness
Shining Force I and II
Phantasy Star II
Shinobi III
Gunstar Heroes
Super Monico GP

GDGF

Soothsayer
Forgot about Super Monico GP. Nice, nice race sim. I spent hours on that game.

Many people will probably say Thunderforce 3, but I actually liked Thunderforce 2 alot more.
(both were shootemups, btw)

:)) No prob. Shinoobi)

Jeffahn

Zombies Ate My Neighbours (Haunting!)
Red Zone (3D!!!)
Subterrania (CD quality soundtrack on a cartridge, so much for SNES sound)
Dynamite Heady (Secret Bonus Points!)
The Jungle Book (Sublime animation, soundtrack)
Chuck CRock II, Son of Chuck
Eternal Champions
Contra Hard Corps

More to come...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Oh, I forgot. Ghostbusters was dope ass. Best Ghostbusters game ever. The graphics were pretty fantastic, actually.

Jeff-DSA

GDGF said:
Oh, I forgot. Ghostbusters was dope ass. Best Ghostbusters game ever. The graphics were pretty fantastic, actually.

I dunno, I still have a soft spot for the Commodore 64 version of Ghostbusters.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Jeff-DSA said:
I dunno, I still have a soft spot for the Commodore 64 version of Ghostbusters.

Whenever I play any version of Ghostbusters I always think to myself 'poor Winston...'

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Pirates! Gold - Actually one of the best versions of this game...one of the great games of all time, IMO.

General Chaos - I'm not sure how to describe this exactly. Strange little RTS. It's an EA game too. But it's good!

Miroku

Hmmm for SHmups...
Truxton
Gaiares
Thunder Force 2
Thunder Force 3
Thunder Force 4
M.U.S.H.A. (this one is AWESOME and I cant believe it hasnt been mentioned yet)
Target Earth
Forgotten Worlds
Space Harrier 2

Some other games that I loved back then:
Phantasy Star 2
Ghouls N Ghosts
Herzog Zwei
Revenge of Shinobi
Altered Beast
Streets of Rage 1 and 2
Strider

I bolded the ones that I feel are worth hunting down and paying good money for.

I cosign with everyone recommending Landstalker. It was the reason I bought a Genny and up until that time I was a diehard Nintendo honk.

Fuzzy said:

I highly disagree with some on the hockey list there. Mutant League is good for an occassional laugh...but the controls are the real monster in that game. And Mario Lemieux Hockey is actually a fun little game, I'd put it in the good or worth trying category. The best category should have NHL 93 and 94. 95 should also be in the worth trying club. Hit the Ice is average at best.

Wunderchu

Spectral Glider said:
I highly disagree with some on the hockey list there. Mutant League is good for an occassional laugh...but the controls are the real monster in that game. And Mario Lemieux Hockey is actually a fun little game, I'd put it in the good or worth trying category. The best category should have NHL 93 and 94. 95 should also be in the worth trying club. Hit the Ice is average at best.
I agree ... IMO the best hockey game on Genesis is either NHL 93 or NHL 94

Ikaris

Damn... I didn't get to post it first...

I agree with Miroku...

HERZOG ZWEI

are the only two words you need to know :)

It's the first Action RTS game and has been known to have inspired a great deal of game designers.

Play it !

(and listen to the soundtrack on Gaming FM :) )

Ranger X

Sonic 1,2,3,Knuckles
Dr. Robotnic mean bean machine
Streets of Rage 2 and 3
Adv of Batman and Robins
Contra Hardcorps
Castlevania Bloodlines
Aladin

-Streets Of Rage 1,2,3
-Sonic series
-Road Rash
-NBA Jam
-Phantasy Star IV
-Vector Man
-Beyond Oasis

The list of great Genesis games goes on and on. One thing I'd love to see is another Oasis title. Beyond Oasis was one of the best ARPG's at the time, and despite its flaws, even Legend Of Oasis was good.

belgurdo

Banned
All the sonics (even 3D blast has a certain charm to it)

Streets of Rage series (1st to familiarize, 2nd for music, 3rd for gameplay)

GhaleonEB

ManDudeChild said:
-Streets Of Rage 1,2,3
-Sonic series
-Road Rash
-NBA Jam
-Phantasy Star IV
-Vector Man
-Beyond Oasis

The list of great Genesis games goes on and on. One thing I'd love to see is another Oasis title. Beyond Oasis was one of the best ARPG's at the time, and despite its flaws, even Legend Of Oasis was good.

Forgot abot Beyon Oasis (still own it, and Legend as well). Both great games, pretty hard-core for an action-RPG.

Top Bottom