• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the best Genesis games? Help a Genesis noob out.

my friend has all Genises games on a disc that plays on PlayStation2..

I sound like a 10 years old kid.

and I don't even know why I'm posting this...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I have yet to play streets of rage but is it better than final fight?

In no particular order:

Alien Soldier
Alisia Dragoon
Contra: Hard Corps
Decapitack
Dynamite Headdy
EA Strike Series (Desert, Jungle, etc)
Earthworm Jim 1 & 2
Eternal Champions
Evander Holyfield Boxing
Flashback
Gaiares
Greatest Heavyweights
Gunstar Heroes (my personal fav)
John Madden Football series ('92 & '93 my fav, crazy crazy games I wish I had recorded)
Lakers vs Celtics, Bulls vs Blazers, etc.
Lightening Force
Mega Turrican
Mickey Mouse World of Illusion
NBA Live Series
Out of This World
Quackshot
Ranger X
Rocket Knight Adventures
Rolling Thunder 2, 3 (great music in both)
Sonic 1,2,3, Sonic & Knuckles
Shinobi series (revenge, shadow dancer, III)
Splatterhouse 2 & 3
Street Fighter 2:CE
Super Street Fighter 2
Streets of Rage 1,2,3
Subterrania (underrated classic)
Tazmania
Thunderforce 3
Toe Jam and Earl 1 & 2
Vectorman 1 & 2
World Championship Baseball series

I know I'm forgetting many but these are my favorites.

Phantasy Star II and Phantasy Star IV are the stuff that dreams are made of, baby. I still find myself humming the theme music to one or the other when the going gets tough in real life to this day.

Streets of Rage 2 is pretty dog-gone fun if you have a friend to play with as well.

AniHawk

I hear Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, and Shining Force II are pretty good. I wouldn't know, because I haven't played them yet, BUT I GOT THEM FOR $5 EACH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

ourumov

Let's see:

Rocket Knight Adventures
Contra: The Hard Corps
Castlevania
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic 2
Toejam & Earl 2
Shinobi 3
Strider (fucked up port but well...)

And that's all I have enjoyed on the little Mega Drive.

I hear Phantasy Star II, Phantasy Star IV, and Shining Force II are pretty good. I wouldn't know, because I haven't played them yet, BUT I GOT THEM FOR $5 EACH HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Then you got yourself a right good deal there, son (spoken in a deeply affected Texan accent for some reason.)

I remember gazing at the box for Phantasy Star II at a Waxie Maxies with my friend, with a big stinking price tag of 69.99. A look passed between us; it was obvious we would do nearly anything to obtain that title, given our religious experience with the first Phantasy Star title on the Master System. One of us pondered mowing lawns, washing cars, delivering papers. The other, petty theft. I won't say which was which. Strangely, the party pondering theft never contemplated actually lifting the game from the store... rather lifting goods to sell/money to purchase the game.

Palms were greased, lawns were mowed, report cards were beamed at by loving parents, and the game passed into our hands. Oh, and it was worth it, every moment of financial uncertainty. Make your own maps on graph paper with a friend over a bowl of popcorn... ahhh!

! This Genesis thread does bring back memories of youth. !

Yep, I think Strider was $69.99 at Children's Palace (remember that store?) which was my first Genesis game I bought (ok, money came from mom). They used to have a tape on loop running Sega commercials non stop. Eyes were wide open playing that game.

Genesis games I adored (in no particular order):

Sonic series
Vectorman series
Phantasy Star II, III & IV (many don't like III though)
Castlevania: Bloodlines
Mickey Mouse & The Castle Of Illusion
Spider-Man
Warsong
Chakan: The Forever Man (although looking back on this one I think I actually sort of hate it I just had an overwhelming need to beat it - I remember it being very atmospheric and expansive but also horrifically difficult)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Here's my top Megadrive/Genesis games ever:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2
2. Shinobi III
3. The Revenge of Shinobi
4. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 w/ Sonic & Knuckles
5. Phantasy Star 2
6. Earthworm Jim
7. Thunder Force III
8. Gunstar Heroes
9. Contra: Hard Corps
10. Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
11. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
12. Streets of Rage/2/3
13. Sonic the Hedgehog
14. Rocket Knight Adventures
15. Dynamite Headdy
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars
17. Alien Soldier
18. Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition
19. Toejam and Earl
20. The Adventures of Batman & Robin
21. Pulseman
22. Ristar
23. MUSHA
24. Phantasy Star IV
25. Shining Force II
26. Virtua Racing
27. Landstalker
28. Mega Bomberman
29. Arcus Odyssey
30. Golden Axe/2
31. Disney's Aladdin
32. Kid Chamelon
33. Monster World IV
34. Zombies Ate My Neighbors
35. TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist
36. Shining Force
37. Wonder Boy in Monster World
38. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
39. Yu Yu Hakusho Makyoutohissen
40. Vectorman
41, Sonic Spinball
42. Flashback: The Quest for Identity
43. Dragon's Fury/Revenge
44. Ecco the Dolphin
45. Castlevania: Bloodlines
46. Columns
47. McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure
48. Lightening Force
49. Panorama Cotton
50. Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

All of them are must-plays.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gunstar Heroes, Phantasy Star 2 and 4, Shining Force 1 and 2, Warsong, Landstalker, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Sonic 1,2,3 and Knuckles, Ristar, Wonder Boy, Kid Chameleon, Ranger-X, Alien Solider (JP), Traysia, Exile (though the Duo version is much better), Gaiares, Dynamite Headdy, Castle of Illusion... all kick ass. You can also check out some of the old EA NHL games, back before they sold their soul to Satan. Those were some awesome games, some of my favorite sports games ever.

echoshifting said:
Chakan: The Forever Man (although looking back on this one I think I actually sort of hate it I just had an overwhelming need to beat it - I remember it being very atmospheric and expansive but also horrifically difficult)

For me, that was one of those that I tried to force myself to like. I loved the character and the premise.....but the game was just so blah. The control wasn't great and the level design was nothing to write home about and like you said, the difficulty was just too much. I remember being pretty disappointed when I first played it.

D-X

A game that is cruely forgotton is Gynoug a side scrolling shooter to this day I cannot complete.

Top Bottom