• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2028 Xbox Next Gen - Cloud Hybrid Games and Immersive Game & App Platform - Let's Discuss

I know there are 10 million topics on this massive leak already, but it seems that no one is talking about the BIG deal which is the 2028 Next-Gen Console Launch for Holiday that has been confirmed via this document. (Unless they change their plans) but this stuff is usually made and decided upon far in advanced. Anyways, the document talks about Cloud Hybrid Games and Immersive Game & App Platform. I did not want to post it there, cause it would just get burried.

Is this going to be the next physical next gen device? What does Cloud Hybrid Games mean? Half cloud and half digital download? I doubt 2028 will have physical media as well, I believe the refreshed Xbox Series X is the end of physical media (at least on Microsoft's side) but we are not here to talk about digital vs physical. We are here to discuss what 2028 Next Gen means according to their document. Any ideas? Guesses?

Xbox 2001 - Mostly physical and the slow but sure start of online gaming with Xbox Live
Xbox 360 - The real big start of online gaming with a mix of digital downloads and physical discs
Xbox One - More of the same as 360, but more push on digital aspects
Xbox Series X/S - Cloud stream push, mostly digital, while still having physical media but getting away from it
Xbox Next Gen - Cloud Hybrid, No More Physical? Full digital platform with Apps? Alan Wake 2 and Dragon Gaiden are officially not coming with physical releases anymore.

C1hQk15.png

YRHon5Y.png
BUSw9WK.png

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I suspect they're going to continue offering flexibility in terms of the lower end of the spectrum, and not so much cloud computing for some imaginary super game like they tried with Crackdown. I'm thinking multiple SKUs, with one being a cheap Keystone device with some kind of localized computation to help offset lag slightly in conjunction with cloud streaming. But who knows. I would imagine they'd offer a fully localized device as well like a Series X equivalent that doesn't require cloud, but we'll just have to wait and see what this even means.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Cloud hybrid gaming takes me back to Crackdown 3 claims. I think it's a bad idea. I'm ok with digital-only consoles, but I recognize that it isn't ideal for a lot of people.

Cashon

Banned
I just really don't see myself ever getting on board with a digital-only or cloud-based future for gaming. I think if they push in that direction, more than they already have, then my future as a gamer will be only with Sony and Nintendo, if they resist that push (unlikely) or, more realistically, retro-based only.

Robb

Gold Member
Hard to grasp what it is until I see it tbh. But just based on the info available it does not sound very exciting to me.

Kacho

Hard to make a full judgement without more details.

My gut tells me good luck selling people on anything Cloud related. I think Microsoft’s services and cloud focus is a bad strategy personally. Good games and good hardware is all you need.

Only substantial info in this regard we have are the brief targets specs, specifically them wanting to shift to ARM for the CPU. That has major implications, and I suspect even if they want to do multiple SKUs, they'd want to prioritize ARM cores in those as well.

Which could have some implications on Sony in terms of sticking with x86-64 or switching to ARM, or do some hybrid. Technically PS4 Pro had x86-64 and ARM cores, but the latter only for background OS tasks. More interested if they'd do big.LITTLE with x86-64 for the big cores, ARM for the small cores.

Even if both make some pivot to ARM, I'm expecting very different implementations.

Hard to make a full judgement without more details.

My gut tells me good luck selling people on anything Cloud related. I think Microsoft’s services and cloud focus is a bad strategy personally. Good games and good hardware is all you need.
more data here

NvyClfT.png
wSgEfjj.png

Only substantial info in this regard we have are the brief targets specs, specifically them wanting to shift to ARM for the CPU. That has major implications, and I suspect even if they want to do multiple SKUs, they'd want to prioritize ARM cores in those as well.

Which could have some implications on Sony in terms of sticking with x86-64 or switching to ARM, or do some hybrid. Technically PS4 Pro had x86-64 and ARM cores, but the latter only for background OS tasks. More interested if they'd do big.LITTLE with x86-64 for the big cores, ARM for the small cores.

Even if both make some pivot to ARM, I'm expecting very different implementations.
can you please educate me on what is ARM as a CPU? I am clueless on this stuff lol. What is the difference between an ARM vs regular CPU?

Tutomos

Hardware will be half-based and power will come from the cloud. They're going to charge devs on cloud usage instead of a percentage.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I understood Cloud hybrid more like what Google promised with Stadia: more interactivity between players and the ability to change stuff even as a spectator. Or like Demon's Souls when you can become a boss in another player game if the online is on. What can they do that they can't do with this gen is for me the most important point. And with their focus on the Series S instead of the Series X, I can't see them being all in for a strong next gen console. So they will like the xbox one use the cloud to make their hardware be more useful to their consumers for a long time.
Hardware will be half-based and power will come from the cloud. They're going to charge devs on cloud usage instead of a percentage.
This could be the case. But then I can see a lot of games even single player being subject to a lot of lag in the first few days and that would be hilarious. And this would kill them in a lot of markets that still do not have good internet.

can you please educate me on what is ARM as a CPU? I am clueless on this stuff lol. What is the difference between an ARM vs regular CPU?

twilo99 twilo99 's post should probably do. A really, really basic way to picture is: ARM uses reduced ISA (Instruction Set Architecture) where more complex operations may require more cycles to complex since each instruction does a smaller amount of stuff (and is less pipelined). Also certain instructions in x86-based ISAs aren't present with ARM.

But as a result, less energy is used and chip silicon is easier to design out, you need less silicon in general, and you can do a lot with lower clocks.

twilo99 twilo99 's post should probably do. A really, really basic way to picture is: ARM uses reduced ISA (Instruction Set Architecture) where more complex operations may require more cycles to complex since each instruction does a smaller amount of stuff (and is less pipelined). Also certain instructions in x86-based ISAs aren't present with ARM.

But as a result, less energy is used and chip silicon is easier to design out, you need less silicon in general, and you can do a lot with lower clocks.
does that mean its cheaper to produce or that its more efficient? I looked at the video and it just sounded like a giant history lesson lol.

Top Bottom