• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, are you listening to?

mortal

Gold Member
Alexisonfire - Crisis (2006)

Crisis.jpg

RAÏSanÏa

Directors' comments, by Jessica In: "Revisiting the potentials of Roger Penrose's aperiodic tessellation, in this remix the visuals are constructed with an underlying Penrose Tiling, whose centres and vertices become the seed points for a Voronoi diagram.

The Voronoi diagram is a method to partition a space into convex polygons, such that each polygon contains exactly one generating point and every point in a given polygon is closer to its generating point than any other. Although Descartes already knew about this space partitioning in the 17th Century, it was Georgy Voronoy who defined the algorithm and extended its investigations into higher dimensions in 1908. Voronoi diagrams find widespread applications, from computer graphics, art & architecture to geophysics and epidemiology (notably used in an analysis of the cholera epidemic in London in 1854 by physician John Snow).

One application of the diagram is the idea of Voronoi entropy - a mathematical tool for quantitative characterisation of the orderliness of points distributed on a surface - i.e. how visually 'ordered' the tessellation is. I found this idea particularly fascinating especially when thinking about the aperiodicity and the infinite structure of the Penrose tiling. In these visuals, the Voronoi diagram is created using the vertices of the Penrose as its seed points. This creates a new type of Penrose Tiling, clearly different from the classical Penrose, however still exhibiting the fivefold structure of the original, while 'defects' begin to appear at the peripheries.

As the Tiling progresses, the basic underlying Penrose structure is broken down, decomposing the 'grains' of the original tiles so that more discernible figures begin to appear in the tiling. The faces emerge subtly at first and then become more obvious in the drop. I was keen to push the potential for a geometrical system to be visually expressive, and to play at the edge of perceiving facial figures to bring the human element back into the pattern.

Top Bottom