• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Bethesda can learn from other open worlds

Yes, but the point isn't really what you or I prefer. The point is that ES has allowed 1st and 3rd person play and third person sucks. If it's primarily a 1st person game then don't put 3rd person in the game. If you do then you have to make sure it works well, otherwise what's the point. In FO 3rd person is saved by VATS. There's no VATS in ES.
I think making Elder Scrolls "play well" in third person would fundamentally change what the Elder Scrolls experience is. Third person has been a viewpoint option since Morrowind but functions as little more than an opportunity to view your character or area in a different way. I can't imagine anyone enjoying or opting to play that way but I suppose some do.

It's too late to have this discussion. The game is well underway.

Any good ideas for what they could have learned won't be in the game. Don't set yourself up for disappointment.

Gorgon

I think making Elder Scrolls "play well" in third person would fundamentally change what the Elder Scrolls experience is. Third person has been a viewpoint option since Morrowind but functions as little more than an opportunity to view your character or area in a different way. I can't imagine anyone enjoying or opting to play that way but I suppose some do.

Hum, I'm sure quite a lot of people do, going by the endless amount of videos on Youtube. But it's annedoctal evidence. The first time I played these games back in the day I did it in 1st P. I've recently played FO4 and Skyrim again and this time I did it totally in 3rd P. Admitedly I was using nice body and armor mods, and I wanted to have Dat Ass on screen. I wouldn't have replayed any of them without that :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Maybe it would be interesting to make a thread about this with a poll to get some sense of players preferences in Bethesda games as far as GAF goes.

EDIT: I just noticed that there is one already just for Starfield. I even comented on it before :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Skyrim's entire map felt like its AI generated. Please spend some time designing locations instead of abusing ctrl+c and ctrl+v.

Top Bottom