• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda responding to negative Starfield reviews on Steam - "it's not boring", it's "by design"

Quillerz

Neo Member
You’re playing the game wrong is a pretty embarrassing response really.

As soon as they said there’d be 1000 planets people were seriously sceptical that these would be meaningful places to explore and that turned out to be the case.

Same with travel - they simply did not find a fun way to traverse space and they knew it, which is a pretty big deal for a game with space exploration as a main selling point.

It’s an okay game with legitimate criticism Bethesda should be taking on board instead of telling the player base that they’re wrong.

Interfectum

When has this kind of response ever worked? Someone at Bethesda needs to tell that employee to chill out and stop posting.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I said the same thing, and I think he's right. That's kind of the big challenge with any hard sci fi space exploration game like this. You want to try and emulate realism a bit more, but also try and find the fun in the gameplay loop. I used a very similar argument months ago when the game first came out.

Say you like the movie Interstellar and you want a hard sci fi game that feels somewhat similar. Interstellar is the story of a crew flying in a spaceship to an empty planet with nothing on it at all but a piece of broken shuttle with coordinates on it. Then they fly to another barren planet with nothing on it because evil Matt Damon lied about the data. That's the movie. Every other planet they pass they don't even stop on because there's even less on it. At the very end the girl lands on another planet with better conditions for life and she builds an outpost. The end. The truth is that this is going to be a lot more niche than people think just based on the subject matter alone.

I think they have the gameplay loop down, but they can improve it a bit with some slight tweaks here and there.
1) Make the scanning more rewarding. Datalog, encyclopedia, scientific discoveries you can contribute to with scans.
2) Increase more variety in random POI
3) Survival mode

That's about it. Just some small stuff. Most people will still find it boring, but that's the subject matter. If you go to the moon and are disappointed that it's nothing but dust and rocks, well ....

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
My biggest and maybe only real problem is the *cutscene to enter the ship - cutscene to go to space - cutscene to enter the planet*. No Man's Sky did first and with not much trouble

not gonna lie i was so excited for starfield then while playing it i was like 😑
now i am terrified for elder scrolls 6. its gonna be the same shit 😖 if anything you’ll teleport to islands with loading screens or some shit 😫

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This shit is backfiring badly. Check out the responses to the "developer response".

GHG

Chill, im not being serious.

It appears that my options do align with the majority of players? The above stat's say as much? Or did you mean the majority of posters on GAF?

I do love it when the old steam reviews are rolled out to justify ones position on a game. Surely the above just cements that for every person that didn't like the game there are 2 that did? I'm not sure what it proves other than its not a game for everyone.

You're still a couple of points off (on the 10 scale) if I'm going to be pedantic.

You also referenced the OT and how everyone was loving it there so I responded accordingly. This is the worst rated Bethesda RPG on Steam and in general a review score under 70 on the platform is not good no matter how you shake it.

What you need to understand is the fact that on PC (and in particular on Steam) there is absolutely reason for a people to make excuses for (and continue playing) games that don't meet their expectations.

There are too many other high quality games, spanning decades. If someone wants to scratch a space game itch then there are plenty of other options like x4 foundations, spaceengine, elite dangerous (the real version, not the console port), NMS, Stardeus, etc. If you want space ship building specifically then there's stuff like cosmoteer and space engineers.

And then on the RPG side of things Baldurs Gate 3 and Colony Ship (the latter being space themed) have just released. The competition is fierce so people have no reason to mince their words and there's certainly no reason for people to waste their time.

Xbox are also suffering a similar (but much worse) fate with Forza Motorsport on PC. Why in earth is someone going to play that when they have stuff like Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2, Rfactor 2, iracing, etc, etc at their disposal? There's even the option of emulating older Forza and GT titles if they want to revisit older titles.

So the solution is simple, instead of Xbox fans lashing out and attempting to shut down any discussion surrounding what is going on with this latest batch of XGS games on PC, you should demand better products. Instead of Bethesda wasting time in steam reviews gaslighting and begging their customers, they should make better games.

The problem exists at source, nowhere else. They have the resources (more so than any other company in this industry) to make games with universal acclaim, so it's about time they made games with universal acclaim instead of pooping unfinished/substandard games out and then instead using those resources to attempt to control the narrative after the fact.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wow, that's fucking lame. Who actually thinks this is a good idea?
todd-howard-howard.gif

Quillerz

Neo Member
it’s by no means a bad game, but it is pathetic for the developers to complain about players criticisms instead of just saying nothing, and maybe taking them on board for future games.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Eh.... I wouldn't consider a member of customer support for Bethesda on steam the same as coming directly from Todd Howard's lips.

This isn't really a story, a community manager can very easily be a fanboy and also wouldn't have any real impact in the games design so yeah... as I said this isn't really anything than a low end employee adjacent to Bethesda who probably is a fanboy of the game.

Last edited:
It's bad by design? Ok, I thought it was just me...

The more I think about this game, the worse it is. It's just so empty and boring, every time I think to myself 'I will give it another go' I remember the boring dialogue, empty planets with nothing going on, boring space powers and a game that has no personality.

It just made me want to go back and play Fallout 4 or Skyrim instead which are vastly better games (and I didn't even care for Fallout 4).

Thirty7ven

Banned
If you're playing it like previous Bethesda games, meaning you land somewhere and wonder around looking for stuff, you're not gonna have a good time. Like at all. Actually, it will be a terrible time.

I think that's why people are so disappointed in this game.

I would say playing it the way Bethesda wants it isn’t any better. Traversal becomes awful, loading screens are too frequent, bad pacing, quests are not great by themselves but the presentation leaves so much to be desired. It’s a game whose gameplay concepts are almost disconnected from each other. We are underestimating the audience in what is not an hard game to figure out.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If you're playing it like previous Bethesda games, meaning you land somewhere and wonder around looking for stuff, you're not gonna have a good time. Like at all. Actually, it will be a terrible time.

I cant tell if you're serious bruh lol

I play it exactly like all of the other BGS games and that's why I'm loving it so much. I figured that's why most are enjoying it :messenger_tears_of_joy: The game gives me the same sort of exploratory feels I got when playing Oblivion for the first time. And I know Im not the only one here who feels that way :messenger_beaming:

People are sick of that same ol 20 year old formula though, and I totally get it. Im sure Ill get there eventually. Maybe.

I liked Starfield myself. 8/10 game that was lacking in a few areas. Could it have been better? Obviously. Is it shit? Not really.

Most people seem to enjoy it, but it is rather divisive.
You can tell playing it, or at least it feels to me, like the game had a troubled development and lots of things were changed mid-way through. I'm no expert in game development but if I had to guess I would say they might have bit off a bit more than they could chew and realized around 2020/2021ish that the game wouldn't be done in a reasonable amount of time without trimming some scope out. Todd said development began when they finished Fallout 76, so that would mean late 2018/early 2019 they started on it.

It's not a bad game but I'm very much hoping Elder Scrolls VI is a return to form for them. Because this is two misses in a row, and there hasn't been a BGS game that blows people away in over 8 years, now. And even F4 it seemed like there were a lot of critics, despite it selling incredibly well and being generally very well-received. But regardless, they need a big win next time for sure.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Eh.... I wouldn't consider a member of customer support for Bethesda on steam the same as coming directly from Todd Howard's lips.

This isn't really a story, a community manager can very easily be a fanboy and also wouldn't have any real impact in the games design so yeah... as I said this isn't really anything than a low end employee adjacent to Bethesda who probably is a fanboy of the game.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Todd Howard fully endorsed these responses. We are talking about the same guy who flippantly brushed aside complaints about performance on PC in saying folks should "upgrade" their hardware. These responses are right in line with that nonsense. But you could be right and this is just some paid community hawk. It's stupid either way.

NonPhixion

What’s more disappointing than Starfield is knowing that Elder Scrolls VI will be using the same shitty Creation Engine.

Even worse that some of you probably don’t see that as a problem in 2030. Grow up.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I would say playing it the way Bethesda wants it isn’t any better. Traversal becomes awful, loading screens are too frequent, bad pacing, quests are not great by themselves but the presentation leaves so much to be desired. It’s a game whose gameplay concepts are almost disconnected from each other.

Well yeah, exactly. It's impossible for this game to have that 'Bethesda magic' because that thing always happened in between missions when you were just roaming around and exploring.

There's very little of that in Starfield. You jump from planet to planet like a grass hopper and chase quest markers. Yes, there are some cool areas to 'discover' but the illusion shutters once you see the exact same fucking cryo lab with the exact same layout, enemies and loot placement and notes that tell the same little stories. For me it happened like 5 or 6 hours into the game.

I cant tell if you're serious bruh lol

I play it exactly like all of the other BGS games and that's why I'm loving it so much. I figured that's why most are enjoying it :messenger_tears_of_joy: The game gives me the same sort of exploratory feels I got when playing Oblivion for the first time. And I know Im not the only one here who feels that way :messenger_beaming:

People are sick of that same ol 20 year old formula though, and I totally get it. Im sure Ill get there eventually. Maybe.

Check the above. I like Starfield a lot, I still play it (220 hours) but I can't find that exploration feeling that I had in previous games. It's still there but it's buried by 10 feet of bad game design decisions.

StueyDuck

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if Todd Howard fully endorsed these responses. We are talking about the same guy who flippantly brushed aside complaints about performance on PC in saying folks should "upgrade" their hardware. These responses are right in line with that nonsense. But you could be right and this is just some paid community hawk. It's stupid either way.
Oh yeah Todd can and has made some pretty terrible endorsements since SF released.

But yeah I really don't think we all should be getting worked up about some community support guy on steam making dumb comments.

iHaunter

Yes, but you used to find interesting things, right? Like in Skyrim, exploring that cave to find an entire civilization under there. Starfield doesn't have much.

Madflavor

"Cops spend most of their time sitting in their patrol vehicles, sometimes going entire days without seeing a crime being committed or anyone speeding. We wanted to reflect this in our new True Crime game by having the player sit in their vehicle for 8 hours, listening to the Joe Rogan Experience while occasionally stopping at Cumberland Farms to grab a $1 coffee and hot dog."

I can agree with that. But that’s why I love the game. I’ve spent more time exploring desolate planets than doing basically anything else. I find it very peaceful and rewarding. To each their own.

They did a really good job with the procedural generation of shit. I’ve explored loads of planets and I haven’t hit a point where they feel “samesy” at all, especially thanks to how they all have different atmospheres.

But yes, in many ways this is Skyrim in space, but most definitely not if you’re looking to explore it like Skyrim or even Fallout.

clarky

Gold Member
You're still a couple of points off (on the 10 scale) if I'm going to be pedantic.

You also referenced the OT and how everyone was loving it there so I responded accordingly. This is the worst rated Bethesda RPG on Steam and in general a review score under 70 on the platform is not good no matter how you shake it.

What you need to understand is the fact that on PC (and in particular on Steam) there is absolutely reason for a people to make excuses for (and continue playing) games that don't meet their expectations.

There are too many other high quality games, spanning decades. If someone wants to scratch a space game itch then there are plenty of other options like x4 foundations, spaceengine, elite dangerous (the real version, not the console port), NMS, Stardeus, etc. If you want space ship building specifically then there's stuff like cosmoteer and space engineers.

And then on the RPG side of things Baldurs Gate 3 and Colony Ship (the latter being space themed) have just released. The competition is fierce so people have no reason to mince their words and there's certainly no reason for people to waste their time.

Xbox are also suffering a similar (but much worse) fate with Forza Motorsport on PC. Why in earth is someone going to play that when they have stuff like Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2, Rfactor 2, iracing, etc, etc at their disposal? There's even the option of emulating older Forza and GT titles if they want to revisit older titles.

So the solution is simple, instead of Xbox fans lashing out and attempting to shut down any discussion surrounding what is going on with this latest batch of XGS games on PC, you should demand better products. Instead of Bethesda wasting time in steam reviews gaslighting and begging their customers, they should make better games.

The problem exists at source, nowhere else. They have the resources (more so than any other company in this industry) to make games with universal acclaim, so it's about time they made games with universal acclaim instead of pooping unfinished/substandard games out and then instead using those resources to attempt to control the narrative after the fact.
Got check out the Forza review thread where just yesterday you'll find me calling out Xbox and turn10 for releasing a shitty product. On PC which is were i spend 95% on my gaming time.

I'll play what I like thanks, not what some committee on the internet tells me I should like. Not sure why its so difficult to comprehend.

We are going to continue to warn and ban for this lame trend of console war bait persecution complexes for trillion dollar corporations. Tighten it up.
aldurs Gate 3 doesn't suck.

Until you get to the third act when it does. :messenger_neutral:

---

And it's hard to take the extreme criticism of Starfield seriously, especially since we know there's a concerted effort to slag anything Microsoft by certain folks within the industry.

Starfield isn't perfect, but it's far from being as horrible as it's being made out to be by review bombers. If this would have come out on the PS5 it would have gotten GOTY nominations all over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom