• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What comes after Blu-Ray?

Downloading The Net GIF

8K is pointless in home systems, unless you are rocking a 300" screen then maybe, but for the other 99.999% 4K is more than enough, I wish the whole 8K movement would die off right now
Oh I don't know about that. I think you could drop a large 8K in a house and sit a little closer for an in house IMAX experience (except with a sharp image) and that would be pretty sweet.

Oh I don't know about that. I think you could drop a large 8K in a house and sit a little closer for an in house IMAX experience (except with a sharp image) and that would be pretty sweet.

That would be cool, but again that would be that other 0.001% of people that would want/afford that. The other 99.999% of people, 4K is more than enough!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Whatever it is I am sure Sony or MS will work to get their standard in your home by putting it in the console.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It will be 4k BluRay's for a while. Then maybe 8k BluRay's....but 4K discs are jut now starting to be commonplace. And very few 8k players (if any) are out there.

coffinbirth

With data sizes ballooning, I can see HVD or Violet-Ray entering the scene at some point. Depends on ISP's chokehold on data caps a bit too, if that doesn't change in the next ten years, an all digital future sounds nightmarish.

If we went back to cartridges I would buy more physical games, easy to put in and chances of damage were minimal.

images
The SNES biggest bottleneck was CPU which was fixed by putting coprocessor on cartridges.

The main reason why 3D games like Doom, Star Fox were possible on SNES is because their cartridges came with Super FX processor and RAM:
-Doom catridge on SNES came with 21MHz processor with 512 KBit RAM
-Star Fox cartridge came with 10.5MHz processor with 256 KBit RAM

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Physical media is about done. The cloud will be the standard for storage and Holographic/AR diplays will take over the television. Same with movie theaters. Imagine an Avatar movie in the theater with AR/Holography. It'll take another 5-10 years but it's all coming.

Last edited:
Let's go back in 2004:

Welp, optical discs R&D stopped roughly 20 years ago!

It made me depressed when I realized it long time ago that there's no future for next-gen optical discs.

Elysium44

Banned
Blu-rays are overrated anyway. Most people, me included can hardly tell the difference between blu-ray picture quality and the same movie compressed to a few gigabytes of mp4. They are also clunky to use and their long-term longevity is debatable (scratches / disc rot).

Not blu-ray but speaking to optical discs' longevity, I already have a few Xbox and Xbox 360 DVDs which no longer work. They look fine but just don't read any more.

Last edited:
Something for enthusiasts, something has to fill that void in time. Or just remain 4K Blu - sort of like vinyl.
Less stock, higher prices, particular group of people seeking them out.

I have a dedicated Home Theater. If im serious about watching a movie- A disc is the ONLY way to go.

4K BluRays have highest bit rate right now. However, there's no reason why it can't be matched with streaming. Bravia Core is getting there.

Quantum253

Clearly, every sci-fi movie predicted the ultimate storage ability lies in crystals.
It's an interesting topic though. I was asked a couple days ago if you can still buy a DVD player.

angrod14

There's no future in sight for physical media. Consoles are pretty much the only machines left that come with a disc drive, and even those are agressively shifting to digital models.

I don't think that's necessarily bad, as there're huge environmental benefits with pure digital distribution, among others. The future of Blu-ray should be DRM-free digital files, or otherwise, digital files that somehow guarantee that you won't lose access to the content.

I know this is mostly a non-issue; it's super rare to lose digital content you bought, even when it's delisted; but it can and it had happened in exceptional circumstances.

iTunes sells DRM free music; that didn't tank the music industry. Why can't we have the same with movies and games? Let the consumer choose how to backup his files, eliminate all the backlash when you close the stores or delist games. You bought the file, it's yours to do whatever you want with it.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
But the video quality is significantly worse than blu-ray..

Decent streaming platforms offer 4k at the same bitrates as blu-ray, a more efficient codec, HDR grading, and are oftentimes sourced from 4k masters.

The whole “sTrEamiNg LoOks wOrsE tHaN bLuRaY” thing is just FUD as long as you’re using a decent streaming platform and your internet is up to the task.

Worse than 4K UHD? Yes. Worse than standard blu-ray? No, you’re just wrong.

Last edited:

Jesb

You’re in for a rude awakening. You won’t even get to download your games eventually. Everything is just going to be streaming one day.

The future of Blu-ray should be DRM-free digital files, or otherwise, digital files that somehow guarantee that you won't lose access to the content.
That's a great idea, I like it. But I'd like to add something to the concept: What about people store these DRM-free, digital files on physical discs for the convenience of storing the films inside a cabinet? Some might even make money from burning these files to discs for others, putting them in nice plastic boxes and wrapping some cool artwork for the films around it. The future is bright.

WitchHunter

Banned
AI is here, and that needs lots of data storage with very low latency. There might be some dam-breaking like moment up on the horizon in this field.

Last edited:
Top Bottom