• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What comes after Blu-Ray?

Alan Wake

No one is buying movies on disc anymore (except me and a few others). I guess 4K UHD is the last we'll get. I hope I'm wrong. And I sincerely hope we will still get collector's editions like the lovely Film Vault editions. I love these.
6pvOj1l.jpg

old-parts

There is one last optical disc throw of the device which are the Folio discs up to 500GB but the company timeline for disc readers are still a few years away.

The problem is that optical discs are a bit of a dead end technology wise, the cost of making players, the size, the noise they generate, the limited capacity.

As comparison look at SD cards you can get very cheap with high capacity these days, future game consoles would be better off using a variant of SD card technology for physical games if they still offer those at all with a tiny reader built into the console and you do away with the bulky optical disc reader.

The same applies to the movie/tv physical sales market, the whole process of having to buy a disc spinner is obsolete, a new physical format like SD cards could be built into every new TV (even phone/tablets) or supported via a USB. Maybe even offer multi readers were multiple movie cards could be connected to one player replicating the digital experience, keeping pace with digital.

That's what's required to save the physical media market but it doesn't seem like the industry is interested.

Last edited:

angrod14

That's a great idea, I like it. But I'd like to add something to the concept: What about people store these DRM-free, digital files on physical discs for the convenience of storing the films inside a cabinet? Some might even make money from burning these files to discs for others, putting them in nice plastic boxes and wrapping some cool artwork for the films around it. The future is bright.
You're aware that BDs have DRM protection, right?

The idea I'm going for is to be able to freely back-up the files anywhere, anytime. Even in several storage solutions if you want to. You would be able to have your stuff in a single external SSD, or even in the cloud solution of your preference, and play it all from there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom