• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of PlayStation's direction as a business these last few years and why?

LakeOf9

Among some of the major decisions Sony have made in the last few years (please note I am just listing them with no judgment on whether they are positive or negative, I want you to decide those):
  • Expanding their IP cross-media (with TV, movies, and anime)
  • Expanding their IP cross-platform with late PC ports for their exclusives (and some multiplatform releases, like Bungie's games, and the MLB games)
  • Long term cross-gen support for games
  • Charging for cross-gen upgrades
  • Premium pricing model - expensive console, accessories, and games
  • Raising the price of games to $70
  • Having fewer sales on their games, and for much lower discounts than before
  • Raising the price of the PS5 two years after launch
  • Expansion into GAAS games
  • Investing in an expensive VR platform that is not wireless and not standalone
  • Investing heavily in marketing and branding deals for major third party multiplatform games
  • Securing timed exclusives from third parties
  • Trying to close down legacy stores, but backing off on it after community uproar
  • Closing down studios like Japan Studio
  • Re-releases of classic and older games - on the PS5 alone: The Last of Us Remastered, Spider-Man Remastered, Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Uncharted 4, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, a Demon's Souls remake, and a rumoured re-release for Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us Part 2
In terms of sales numbers, profits, and revenues, these are objectively good business decisions judging by how successful Sony has been in general for the last few years, but I am not asking from a business perspective, I am asking you, as a gamer, what do you personally think of Sony's overall direction as a business these last few years? Do you like it? Why or why not?

• Expanding their IP cross-platform with late PC ports for their exclusives (and some multiplatform releases, like Bungie's games, and the MLB games)
This is good
  • Re-releases of classic and older games - on the PS5 alone: The Last of Us Remastered, Spider-Man Remastered, Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut, Death Stranding Director's Cut, Uncharted 4, Uncharted The Lost Legacy, a Demon's Souls remake, and a rumoured re-release for Horizon Zero Dawn and The Last of Us Part 2
    • Investing heavily in marketing and branding deals for major third party multiplatform games
This is okay
This, I'm not sure is true or not. I've seen them have plenty of digital store sales, just not advertised as often as somewhere like Steam. Also the price of the console is about to be reduced.
  • Trying to close down legacy stores, but backing off on it after community uproar
This is bad.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Seems fine to me. Successful console, great games, cool VR peripheral. Having to pay for cross-gen upgrades sucked but at least it was only 10 bucks each for the ones I bought.

Covid was a weird time and it messed up the whole world. Some of the bumps these companies had were from that. Can't hold it against them.

LakeOf9

I thought you said you were listing these with no judgment. Calling the VR platform 'expensive' is a judgment on your part. I'd argue compared to it's closest specced competitors its quite the bargain.
I mean relative to the console (it costs more than it), since it is not standalone.

Plus expensive is not necessarily a bad thing, some people wanted high end VR and they got it

Topher

Gold Member
How is this "premium" when the competition has matched the pricing model?

I just don't like the Gaas nonsense. PS should center itself in single player games. Multiplayer games are everywhere.

I guess it doesn't fit well in someone's personal dislike list, but so long as they make hardware and software that appeals to me, they're doing great. Judging by sales guess other's are still onboard too.

Mr.Phoenix

I think it's fine. It is the exact same thing they have done since the PS1.

The things that are different are more about them just adapting to the current market. Eg. Today we have PSVR, back then we had things ie PS Eyetoy on the PS2. Game prices is not really their fault, thats just inflation. They are doing or trying to do more with their IPs and playing to the strengths of their reach, so now you see IPs turned to movies and shows and releasing on PC.

Sony today is not that much different from sony in 1996. If anything, they are less arrogant.

I'm just kinda even on it for now. More, cautiously wait and see. I'd like them to take more creative risks on new IP with their big studios like ND, SSM, GG, and Insomniac.

I don't find their GaaS push anywhere near as objectionable as most of Gaf. I've been an avid Destiny 2 player since launch and so I know how fucking great GaaS can be when it's done right. That said, I'm saddened to see that Sony's big GaaS push so far seems to have gone all in on MP-only gaming. That's pretty shit to me. Destiny 2, Warframe, and many others are examples of how GaaS can serve both SP and MP fans. Sony with their incredible legacy of delivering top-tier SP games, should be pushing GaaS games that do both SP and MP... it's inexplicable to me why they would alienate their core fanbase by backing big GaaS games that are entirely not for the core. That's a huge missed opportunity.

Well, at least Helldivers 2 is a nice exception. I'm hoping that game is great. I'm excited to play that.

Otherwise, I'm stoked about what they're doing with 3rd party studio partnerships. Death Stranding 2 will be fucking lit. Stellar Blade will be sex and the more AAA Korean dev talent Sony can cultivate, the better. Korean artistic and creative sensibilities share commonalities with the Japanese. So I'm expecting big things from some of the Korean devs Sony is looking to partner with. And if future acquisitions can create for them an Asian development hub in Korea that is able to scratch the itch that the late Japan studio was able to do, then all the better.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm happy with my PS5 overall, but the GAAS and TV push really is not for me.

Ultimately they are one of a very small number of publishers that can actually regularly put out these high-end "AAA" games that feel and look premium, so I hope they keep doing it.

LakeOf9

I'm happy with my PS5 overall, but the GAAS and TV push really is not for me.

Ultimately they are one of a very small number of publishers that can actually regularly put out these high-end "AAA" games that feel and look premium, so I hope they keep doing it.
This is where I am too, I am not a fan of a lot of their business decisions but I love their games and in the end that's what I care about

8BiTw0LF

Banned
High end VR, solid singleplayer outputs and upcoming selection of a broad variation of GaaS titles.

I'm all in and happy as can be.

And btw, I still love buying and playing games unlike a lot of people these days..

Crayon

The stuff you are pointing out is more or less naval gazing. Like do you know how stupid it sounds to complain about the console and games being premium price when it's the same as brand x?

From the irl user's perspective, it's business as usual except we have a foot in perpetual cross-gen. If it was nothing but a constant string of bad decisions like you should suggest they would not be doing so well.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
They still invest heavily in the games I'm interested in: single-player cinematic & open-world experiences. But both PlayStation and I know the market is shifting and my demographic is being slowly phased out by Gen Z, with a much shorter attention span and much more addictive personalities. Therefore, their current model is not sustainable in the long term. Instead of admitting their main rival (Microsoft) got to an answer first with the subscription model, they downplay its effectiveness while chasing it half-heartedly all the same; meanwhile spending a lot of money hoping they can create a few GaaS titles like Destiny, Fortnite or World of Warcraft to tide them over until this period of market uncertainty is behind them and they can be sure where to spend their money wisely.

Out of all their current endeavors, the one that benefits my tastes the most is their attempt at making VR work for the masses. If they're successful with that, maybe I have a chance of dying while playing the games I enjoy. If not, then I suspect there'll be less and less products aimed towards me as I grow older; at least in the console space.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They are doing great and I support most of their moves, only thing i'm not too sure about is the heavy investment in live service games, I think theres a place for them but they are developing a literal truckload.

What Ive always liked about Sony is they always try to push the medium forward, hence the VR investment and i'm a supporter of that. Just wish they came back around to a dedicated handheld and not that project Q monstrosity.

I also dont like how long their games take these days to release aside from insomniac, of course the price hike sucks, I know why they did it but still sucks.

Last edited:

Del_X

Seems OK. Sparse first party titles. I’m pretty sure they’ll end up reducing the lag time from console to PC by a significant margin by the end of this generation.

Killer8

The Last of Us TV show was shit.

Objectively good for everyone but the most diehard fanboys.

Mixed to good. It made business sense to utilize the PS4 install base and is also nice for owners of older PS4 hardware to still be able to play the latest games. It's impressive seeing some of these games run on 1.84 TFLOP hardware. However I wonder if any compromises needed to be made to the PS5 versions to allow it to happen. Sony also went around concealing some PS4 version's existence in the worst possible way eg. a GT7 port being announced a long time after the game's reveal as a PS5 exclusive.

Scrooge-like behavior when so many publishers do it for free.

With inflation it's no more expensive than it was last generation. The console is identically priced to the nearest competitor in most regions, who also raised their prices too. Rumor is there is going to be a price cut soon anyway.

Haven't noticed this. The Days of Play and holiday sales are still decent enough.

PSVR2 is an excellent piece of hardware. Its only issue is that it needs a bit more exclusive software (something which people complain about if Sony don't do, but also complain about if they showcase PSVR2 games at their conferences).

Platform holders have been doing this since time immemorial.

Good. More consoles should make games available on newer hardware. The movie industry released films on VHS then DVD then Blu-ray and now UHD, yet movie fans don't get ass mad about it in the way some gamers do.

These are my main grievances with Sony, but also major ones.

Expansion into GaaS at the level they are doing is going to be a colossal failure. The offerings shown so far range from the generic (Helldivers 2) to the putrid (Fairgame$). The only thing i'm looking forward to is Marathon, which isn't even exclusive. The fact that Sony are investing in 12 of these titles over the next few years is disconcerting both from a quality POV but also because some level of cannibalization between the titles is inevitable. There is barely enough time and money in the world for players to be interested in Fortnite, Minecraft and Warzone, let alone another dozen of these service games. They will be a distraction for a few weeks before their player count sinks to 0 and they get abandoned, like so much of the other GaaS shite released.

The attempted closure of the legacy stores was shameful. It was a purely cost cutting measure to save some bandwidth with zero respect for those platform's rich history. It paints an apocalyptic picture of what the digital-only future will look like, where thousands of games will be routinely lost to time as soon as the platform holders decide they've outlived their usefulness in ten years time. It's hardly surprising though when their own CEO Jim Ryan's opinion of old games is: "why would anyone play this?"

The closure of Japan Studio was another nail in the coffin of the Sony legacy and arguably the darkest day in the company to date. The once Japanese company has now been almost totally usurped by Westerners. Their only Japanese studios left are Polyphony and Team Asobi, who are dedicated to just making a couple of games for the platform. Some of the best and most creative IP in gaming are now basically lost, and what do we get in their place? Korean vaporware looking shit, a GaaS obsession, and buying up unproven studios which have so far only shown a logo (Haven, Firewalk, etc).

Cq33USF.png

An English studio putting a bunch of kanji in their name isn't going to fill the gap left by killing off Japan Studio.

Jim Ryan has been riding the waves of his predecessors.
In terms of hardware I prefer this. Sony using millions to develop some odd processor that will set back modern development times, would have been a nightmare for current gen and beyond.

Plus the BC is nice too

simpatico

After Xbox 360, all MS had to do was not fuck up and the next gen was theirs. Then they went and fucked up as hard as they could. After PS4, all Sony had to do was the same. PS5 has some bumps for sure, but lucky for them MS is fucking up even worse. It's a neutral console at best for their market share. If Xbox Series was just a little better it could be enough of a stumble to cost them, but MS Games is no longer competent enough to capitalize.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Sony hardware is exciting to me but not their software, the bulk of it at least. That applies to the vast majority of AAA gaming the last decade as a whole so it's not unique to Sony for me.

The thing that annoys me the most is that they'll announce something like Project Q and then not even show it in use. It's like fuck off, either shut up and keep it a secret or show it being used in real time. That's the stuff that drives me up the wall. Right now it looks like a prototype device with Sony tax written all over it...and I'm someone that will probably buy it!😅

As for their TV shows/movies. Whatever makes them money, it is what it is. I saw Uncharted and it was 'by the numbers adventure film', I have no interest in TLOU or TM.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They've been doing great. The PS5 hardware is fantastic and there are lots of great games to play on it.

Gamerguy84

I think they got through covid a lot better than others did. The PS5 had games to play, enhanced or new ones. It's been a solid few years

Last edited:

Lupin25

I think Sony could cut down the number of games in its live-service initiative. Every publisher wants a GTA Online, Fortnite, or Warzone, but 12 seems excessive.

Other than that, and the upgrade mishaps from the past, Sony has been pretty good this gen.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Started this gen with Switch and PS5 in Nov 2020. Hyped as hell. Now I have severely diminished attachment to the brand for multiple reasons.

I think some things I see people complaining about now I saw 2 years ago.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Among some of the major decisions Sony have made in the last few years (please note I am just listing them with no judgment on whether they are positive or negative, I want you to decide those):
In terms of sales numbers, profits, and revenues, these are objectively good business decisions judging by how successful Sony has been in general for the last few years, but I am not asking from a business perspective, I am asking you, as a gamer, what do you personally think of Sony's overall direction as a business these last few years? Do you like it? Why or why not?

Perfect. I get to play their games at higher than console fidelity on PC or in bed via Steam Deck if I want.

I just wish they will increase their game price further. $70 is still too low.

AlexxKidd

I mean relative to the console (it costs more than it), since it is not standalone.

Plus expensive is not necessarily a bad thing, some people wanted high end VR and they got it

Then say "high end" not "expensive". Expensive is not an objective word because what's expensive to you may not be to me, and so on and so forth. And again, compared to its high end VR competitors it's either in line or more fairly priced, so what you're saying is not even adding up.

Sony has done a great job with the launch of the PS5. Their messaging leaves a lot to be desired, but so far the results speak for themselves in terms of both sales and routine quality of output.

I would like to see a BIT MORE regularity with big tentpole releases. They seem to have 1-2 per year, mixed with some smaller titles. I wish they were closer to 3-4 big AAA games.

Belthazar

All I care about is having good games to play on the system and on that front they've been delivering for 5 generations straight. All the rest is barely noise and I don't really pay much attention to it.

Kerotan

I'm happy they're making more profits then ever before but to me what matters is games. Between ps3/4/5/psp games through ps premium and games I've bought I've never been so satisfied.

Topher

Gold Member
Price increases, next-gen upgrade price, re-releases/remasters.

Price increases have been across the board. The rest is completely optional.

I don’t like Jim Ryan either but just parroting these “anti consumer” lines doesn’t mean much.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Don't like tbh. The guy sure know how to bring money, but money isn't everything. PS4 era brought too much to the table by simply doing strong presence of games that people could only find at PS4(Nintendo approach). Also, game presentations(State of Play) are the worst so far, with so much generic garbage games and putrits GaaS(the one with Suicide Squad being a clear example). Only one SoP with japanese games(and other asian countries) made me think about good things in the future.

Top Bottom