• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does Kerry think of America's involvement with the International Criminal Court?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Clinton signed up for it. Then the Bush administration retracted that. Has Kerry commented at all on what he might do?

[edit] sorry, please move

Socreges

Banned
Ok:

Sen. John Kerry
I support U.S. participation in the International Criminal Court, but also believe that U.S. officials, including soldiers, should be provided some protection from politically motivated prosecutions.

A step forward, but he's preaching the same old bullshit.

Ripclawe

Banned
Socreges said:
Clinton signed up for it. Then the Bush administration retracted that. Has Kerry commented at all on what he might do?

[edit] sorry, please move

well, he blasted the ICC for the Israel wall ruling, rightly so. But he once said he would like the CIA under UN jurisdiction. He is an internationalist but I don't think he is dumb enough to sign the US under that kangaroo court.

Socreges

Banned
Ripclawe said:
well, he blasted the ICC for the Israel wall ruling, rightly so. But he once said he would like the CIA under UN jurisdiction. He is an internationalist but I don't think he is dumb enough to sign the US under that kangaroo court.
Dumb enough... kangaroo court.... elaborate.

Ripclawe

Banned
Socreges said:
Dumb enough... kangaroo court.... elaborate.

whats to elaborate? if Kerry gets to be president and he signs up America for the world court, all hell with break loose on him for putting America under the jurisdiction of a kangaroo court. No way in hell should an outside body have sway over American soldiers or officials where anyone can file a empty accusation at us. America like it or not is above this.

Socreges

Banned
Ripclawe said:
whats to elaborate? if Kerry gets to be president and he signs up America for the world court, all hell with break loose on him for putting America under the jurisdiction of a kangaroo court. The ICC is worthless.
See, that is what I'm asking you to elaborate on. You're not that slow, I'm sure. Please explain why you use words like "kangaroo court" or why advocating the court would make Kerry "dumb". You're only stating the same hawk rhetoric.

[edit] I've got to go, but I expect a fleshed out response on my return!

Ripclawe said:
only law to answer to is in America, everyone else can go kiss.

Well, usually if a crime is committed in another country, then that country has jurisidiction over it. It's pretty common knowledge. The State Department makes it known that while in other countries, Americans would be held to their laws.

How to Avoid Legal Difficulties

When you are in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws and are under its jurisdiction NOT the protection of the U.S. Constitution.

You can be arrested overseas for actions that may be either legal or considered minor infractions in the United States. Be aware of what is considered criminal in the country where you are. Consular Information Sheets include information on unusual patterns of arrests in various countries when appropriate.

Some of the offenses for which U.S. citizens have been arrested abroad are:

I mean, remember Michael Fay who got jail time and a heavy spanking for graffiti? He got his number of canings reduced from 6 to 4 only because the President was making a big deal over it.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/abroad_pub_safetrip.html
http://travel.state.gov/travel/livingabroad_drugs.html

Ripclawe

Banned
Well, usually if a crime is committed in another country, then that country has jurisidiction over it. It's pretty common knowledge. The State Department makes it known that while in other countries, Americans would be held to their laws.

oh no, that I am fine with, if you are dumb to do a crime elsewhere, you are asking for it.

The ICC OTOH

The new court can try individuals for the world's most serious atrocities: genocide, crimes against humanity, war crimes and other gross human rights abuses

The reality is that in the position America is in the real problem is frivolous cases brought against soldiers/officials like it happened when Belgium had that ridiculous law where you can file lawsuits against any world officials.

Ripclawe said:
oh no, that I am fine with, if you are dumb to do a crime elsewhere, you are asking for it.

The ICC OTOH

The reality is that in the position America is in the real problem is frivolous cases brought against soldiers/officials like it happened when Belgium had that ridiculous law where you can file lawsuits against any world officials.

The quote that I used was pretty broad. Even in the context of the previous posts, that post seemed to encompass everything.

fart

Savant
rolleyes-big.gif

FightyF

Banned

What's wrong with this?

Don't you have faith in their judicial system?

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member

Obviously not, It seems he'd rather America was held to a different standard than the rest of the world, or better yet he'd rather the rest of the world would fall in behind America and accept their new overlords.

Ever hear the term "pride comes before a fall" Ripclawe?

Sooner or later you are going to have to re-evaluate America's position in the world, or the rest of the world will end up re-evaluating America and it 'values'.

Freeburn.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ripclawe said:
only law to answer to is in America, everyone else can go kiss.

If I didn't know you were serious, I'd call your point of view "quaint" if I were trying to be cheeky, "archaic," if I just wanted to cut to the chase.

But if the ICC is good enough for other countries, then it's good enough for us. You don't win friends and allies by telling them that you're too good to play with them. Global trade and communication has shrunk this world. The fact that an international court with said jurisdiction was formed shouldn't surprise you, it should be expected and ideally, welcomed. Keep waving that American flag Rip, and singing that old ditty, "America's Better Than the Rest of the World." Eventually, we'll be the ones who are trailing behind.

The US cut military funding to countries who supported the ICC. A bunch of South American countries got fucked beause of this, which boils down to blackmail.

Ripclawe

Banned
What's wrong with this?

the only that counts in terms of American officials, service personnel is ours.

Obviously not, It seems he'd rather America was held to a different standard than the rest of the world, or better yet he'd rather the rest of the world would fall in behind America and accept their new overlords.

America is different from the rest of the world , We are not like everyone else, nor should we be brought down to the level of everyone else.

But if the ICC is good enough for other countries, then it's good enough for us.

I could care less what is good enough for other countries, We are in the unique position where nonsense like this is not in our best interests, if other countries don't like it. tough.

I don't see anyone bitching about Russia, China and India also not signing up for it.

The US cut military funding to countries who supported the ICC. A bunch of South American countries got fucked beause of this, which boils down to blackmail.

whats wrong with that? sign the treaty or you get cut in funding, maybe they should go to the EU and getting buddy buddy with them.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ripclawe said:
America is different from the rest of the world , We are not like everyone else, nor should we be brought down to the level of everyone else.
Do elaborate on this statement.

Socreges

Banned
Good luck. He'd rather just say baseless things such as that and hope that there's someone out there who buys it.

Here's some education, Rip. Though I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ripclawe said:

Ohohoho deary me...I really really stopped reading your post at this sentence. ::gobsmacked::. I bet you've not been 2 miles from your own home town.

Ripclawe

Banned
Socreges said:
Good luck. He'd rather just say baseless things such as that and hope that there's someone out there who buys it.

Here's some education, Rip. Though I'm sure you don't want to hear it.

They can put in all the "safeguards" they want, America should not be a part of the ICC under any circumstances. A lot of other countries have not signed up for the ICC such as Russia who has not voted yes for it, China or India and I think a lot of Arab nations as well. So we are not the only ones wary of it or like the idea of some outside entity being an anchor around our necks.

I know this attitude doesn't sit well with people from other countries, but almost no one cares about your feelings.

oh and this joke of an article http://www.eccmei.net/E/E027.html

John Sigler

John Sigler is one of the co-founders and co-administrators of the ECCMEI as well as a contributor.

Among other sites that he operates is the International Islamic Response site regarding the official reactions of the fifty one countries around the world in which Islam is the largest religious faith to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C.

International Islamic Response:
http://www.angelfire.com/co4/intl-islamic-res/index.html

Please take a moment to sign his new petition, "United States culpability for Israeli Actions"

He is also a co-founder of the "Jewish Friends of Palestine" Project:

his opinions is less than dirt.

Socreges

Banned
Ripclawe said:
They can put in all the "safeguards" they want, America should not be a part of the ICC under any circumstances. A lot of other countries have not signed up for the ICC such as Russia who has not voted yes for it, China or India and I think a lot of Arab nations as well. So we are not the only ones wary of it or like the idea of some outside entity being an anchor around our necks.
Well:
the article said:
As noted above, of course the ICC can’t hear cases regarding incidents that occurred prior to July 1, 2002 – nevertheless, the “War on Terrorism” is still underway and will become significantly more difficult to pursue if the United States is asked to re-evaluate its tactics, especially those that constitute war crimes under international law.
Like the US, the countries you listed would have their policies handicapped the most.
I know this attitude doesn't sit well with people from other countries, but almost no one cares about your feelings.
What impression do you think you're giving people with statements like these? Not strength. Not intelligence. You just come across as a very sad person.

And you can continue to stress that America can do whatever the hell it wants. But perpetual isolationism will likely hurt them more in the long run, than help.

Ripclawe

Banned
muncheese said:
Because the original agreements have jack shit to do with the ICC.

it has everything to do with it

Under the American Servicemembers’ Protection Act (ASPA), countries that have supported the ICC will no longer qualify to the US military aid unless they sign a bilateral agreement on Article 98, giving immunity to US soldiers from being prosecuted under the ICC. It has provided a deadline to sign these immunity agreements until July 1 this year.

don't sign, get cut in funding.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Ripclawe said:
it has everything to do with it

don't sign, get cut in funding.

And why do we care if another country signs up for it, much less think a proper response is to punish them?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
If the rest of the world hates how America forces its ideals upon them, why should they expect us to accept this in return? I don't like the idea of anyone outside our country being able to convict our people of crimes based on different standards than we've set up here. I don't see why any country would approve of this, unless they were trying to equal the playing field with the big guy, which is exactly what I think is going on.

Forget it.

Ripclawe

Banned
What impression do you think you're giving people with statements like these? Not strength. Not intelligence. You just come across as a very sad person.

And you can continue to stress that America can do whatever the hell it wants. But perpetual isolationism will likely hurt them more in the long run, than help.[/quote[

What is this? reverse psych 101? If we allow some outside entity to get to our officials and service men for example, the rest of the world will be happy and love us again. give me a break. This isolationism is nothing more than fringe dream, we are the world economy, it doesn't go unless we do. We are not some podunk country with very little economic power. Isolationism would only hurt the rest of the world.
its not like we don't have the resources to help ourselves.

its an old quote but it fits in today's world
"Men are less hesitant about harming someone who makes himself loved than one who makes himself feared because love is held together by a chain of obligation which, since men are wretched creatures, is broken on every occasion in which their own interests are concerned; but fear is sustained by dread of punishment which will never abandon you." -- Niccolo Machiavelli

signing up to the ICC makes us weaker. sorry, I refuse to be happy with that.

If the rest of the world hates how America forces its ideals upon them, why should they expect us to accept this in return? I don't like the idea of anyone outside our country being able to convict our people of crimes based on different standards than we've set up here. I don't see why any country would approve of this, unless they were trying to equal the playing field with the big guy, which is exactly what I think is going on.

This applies to the Kyoto treaty as well.

Socreges

Banned
his opinions is less than dirt.
No, no. Rather than you dismissing him because of association, I would like you to show where the article is incorrect. Or at least present an argument against it (citing other countries does not qualify). I would like to understand the situation as best I can, whereas you, as always, narrow your perspective to what fits your agenda.

Like I said the original agreements for military funding have jack shit to do with the ICC. The amendment to the aspa regarding the military funding was introduced long after the ICC was conceived.

Don't think the US is giving away free military funding to random countries.

If in January I sold three cookies for a dollar, then in October I hear the cops are running around trying to nab pot holder, then ask you to oppose the cops trying to find pot growers otherwise my three cookies no long cost dollar to you. That's blackmail.

Ripclawe

Banned
muncheese said:
Like I said the original agreements for military funding have jack shit to do with the ICC. The amendment to the aspa regarding the military funding was introduced long after the ICC was conceived.

Don't think the US is giving away free military funding to random countries.

If in January I sold three cookies for a dollar, then in October I hear the cops are running around trying to nab pot holder, then ask you to oppose the cops trying to find pot growers otherwise my three cookies no long cost dollar to you. That's blackmail.

Look let me break it down to this, its our money, on our terms. They want to keep getting our money, then they better damn well agree to our terms. This is not blackmail.

No, no. Rather than you dismissing him because of association, I would like you to show where the article is incorrect. Or at least present an argument against it (citing other countries does not qualify). I would like to understand the situation as best I can, whereas you, as always, narrow your perspective to what fits your agenda.

Look up and down the thread, I have already presented numerous arguments.

Let me sum it up
1) America should not under ANY circumstance favorable or unfavorable have itself under the thumb of any outside entity.

2) America should not under ANY circumstances favorable or unfavorable put its foreign policy, military or any of it interests in harms way because of countries beneath it sees this as being equal.

3) American is top dog, no one is equal to us because of our unique position in the world, that means not putting ourselves in a position to make us weaker because other countries wish it to be.

4) The ICC will be used to throw roadblocks in our way, as your author pointed out some absurd flimsy examples that anyone can bring to the ICC to put against us. The same ICC that ruled the Israel Wall that has almost stopped terrorist bombings must be torn down which is interfering with a country's right to defend itself.

This article sums it up nicely about the ICC and Israel http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Columnists/Toronto/Peter_Worthington/2004/07/12/pf-536321.html

Socreges

Banned
What is this? reverse psych 101? If we allow some outside entity to get to our officials and service men for example, the rest of the world will be happy and love us again. give me a break. This isolationism is nothing more than fringe dream, we are the world economy, it doesn't go unless we do. We are not some podunk country with very little economic power. Isolationism would only hurt the rest of the world.
its not like we don't have the resources to help ourselves.
You're simplifying a very complicated concept.

If isolationism hurts the rest of the world, then it invariably hurts the US. The world is incredibly interdependent (largely on the US , of course). Cooperation is so, so necessary to stability.

its an old quote but it fits in today's world

"Men are less hesitant about harming someone who makes himself loved than one who makes himself feared because love is held together by a chain of obligation which, since men are wretched creatures, is broken on every occasion in which their own interests are concerned; but fear is sustained by dread of punishment which will never abandon you." -- Niccolo Machiavelli
But does it fit into today's international community? Machiavelli was speaking of leaders over (relatively) primitive populations. Applying that to relations between states and state leaders (without explaining the relevance - as if it speaks for itself) just doesn't work. Yet, that you would think such an idea will continue to hold the US in power is ultimately so characteristic of you.
signing up to the ICC makes us weaker. sorry, I refuse to be happy with that.
You should have just said that from the beginning. Depending on how which cases the ICC actually takes on, that could very well end up being the case. The UN, for instance, is essentially a tool of the US. The ICC would not be so convenient. And the US would actually have to adjust its policies around the set rules or they might actually be held responsible for once. The US, up to now, has not answered to any law - rather, they've answered to allies and what they can get away with without alienating these allies to the point of conflict or fallout.

See, I'm not entirely sure where you disagree with the article. It doesn't even say that the US should join the ICC. Instead, Sigler argues why the US hasn't or won't.

Hell, I haven't even said that the US should join. I would like them to, but I can see why they wouldn't (reasons other than what they tell people).

Look let me break it down to this, its our money, on our terms. They want to keep getting our money, then they better damn well agree to our terms. This is not blackmail.

Well, that's that. Continue to believe the US is entirely indepent and self sufficient. EVERY super power will have a high point, and with that high point comes the downfall. Have a nice one(day that is, not the downfall).

Socreges

Banned
4) The ICC will be used to throw roadblocks in our way, as your author pointed out some absurd flimsy examples that anyone can bring to the ICC to put against us. The same ICC that ruled the Israel Wall that has almost stopped terrorist bombings must be torn down which is interfering with a country's right to defend itself.

This article sums it up nicely about the ICC and Israel http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Colum.../pf-536321.html
Um, you're thinking of the ICJ.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ripclawe said:
A lot of other countries have not signed up for the ICC such as Russia who has not voted yes for it, China or India and I think a lot of Arab nations as well.

I love how you talk about America not being "dragged down" to the level of those "beneath" America, and then cite a corrupt government (Russia), a communist government with a litany of human rights issues (China) and a collection of countries with MASSIVE human rights issues ("Arab nations") as support for America's position. Some great bedfellows, eh? America is going right down to "their level".

And STFU up about America's "unique" position, and not being "dragged down" to the level of other countries. When it comes to war crimes etc. etc. no country should be treated differently than any other. Not to mention that a) the US's only real strength now over many other nations is military strength (taken under many other measures, the US falls behind other countries, in fact) and b) the US will not be the world's sole superpower anymore in the near to mid-term. Actions taken now won't be forgotten in the world of the tomorrow.

I'd love to know what you think other first world, civilised countries are like that make them so base compared to the US...?

Socreges

Banned
gofreak, I was tempted to touch on morality and general decency of nations, but I'm positive he would just say how that's not practical. Especially since he has on more than one occasion placed Machiavelli in modern circumstance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Socreges said:
but I'm positive he would just say how that's not practical

I would argue that saying someone or some country is "above" another has moral connotations..

However he may peg countries to his little "levels", for most people who do that, things like government stability, freedom (personal & economic) & respect for human rights will/should be factors. If he doesn't use those factors, he's got to use others, and I doubt the countries he has cited are model examples when it comes to those others eithers. You can't fall back on an abstract "america is better than everyone else, just cos"...there got to be reasons, but whatever they are, I doubt lumping the US in with the countries he mentioned supports his case.

In simple terms, he argues that America is so much better than other countries, and "above" countries, and then assigns it to a less than prestigious group as support for his argument.

Ripclawe

Banned
You're simplifying a very complicated concept.

no you are complicating a very simply concept, he who has the most power wins and sets the rules, many of the problems of the world is because there is absurd notion of everyone is equal, on the same level and should be treated as such.

But does it fit into today's international community? Machiavelli was speaking of leaders over (relatively) primitive populations. Applying that to relations between states and state leaders (without explaining the relevance - as if it speaks for itself) just doesn't work. Yet, that you would think such an idea will continue to hold the US in power is ultimately so characteristic of you.

It absolutely fits into today's "international Community" across the board, You think Sudan would be dragging its feet to stop the killings in darfur if they knew not doing so would mean certain economic and physically destruction? fear is a powerful motivator.

You should have just said that from the beginning.

I did.

Depending on how which cases the ICC actually takes on, that could very well end up being the case. The UN, for instance, is essentially a tool of the US. The ICC would not be so convenient. And the US would actually have to adjust its policies around the set rules or they might actually be held responsible for once. The US, up to now, has not answered to any law - rather, they've answered to allies and what they can get away with without alienating these allies to the point of conflict or fallout.

and we should not subject ourselves to something meant for others.

Um, you're thinking of the ICJ.

my bad, but it still fits into the fact of an outside entity trying to dictate what is best for someone, in this case Israel who is rightly ignoring this ruling.

And STFU up about America's "unique" position, and not being "dragged down" to the level of other countries. When it comes to war crimes etc. etc. no country should be treated differently than any other. Not to mention that a) the US's only real strength now over many other nations is military strength (taken under many other measures, the US falls behind other countries, in fact) and b) the US will not be the world's sole superpower anymore in the near to mid-term. Actions taken now won't be forgotten in the world of the tomorrow.

according to the latest UN best places to live, we are in solidly in the top 10, our economic power is unrivaled, the EU is not competition, China still has a ways to go and it has a host of problems just waiting, India...no..Japan..no... who else?

Ripclawe

Banned
Socreges said:
gofreak, I was tempted to touch on morality and general decency of nations, but I'm positive he would just say how that's not practical. Especially since he has on more than one occasion placed Machiavelli in modern circumstance.

oh touch on it and let see where this theory goes.

As for your dismissal of the teachings of Machiavelli, many things he wrote about is absolutely usable in today's world, along with Sun Tzu of course.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ripclawe said:
according to the latest UN best places to live, we are in solidly in the top 10, our economic power is unrivaled, the EU is not competition, China still has a ways to go and it has a host of problems just waiting, India...no..Japan..no... who else?

My country is also in the top 10 in that UN report, and there are others ahead of the US...what about them?

Re. economic power, I wouldn't say it is unrivalled, or will go unrivalled in the near future. I read a very interesting article in the economist (who seem perenially optimistic about the US and pessimistic about the EU), which basically examined the EU vs US argument - if you take Germany out of the equation, the EU has performed as well, or outperformed the US economically in the last several years. Once/If Germany sorts itself, it'll be interesting to see where things stand, not to mention what might happen if the eastern bloc countries can turn themselves around in the same way that nearly every other country that has joined the EU did. Not to speak of China or India..they have much further to go, agreed, but between all those blocs, I wouldn't bet my house on the US being the strongest economic power in the world in 50 or 100 years.

edit - I'd also like you to explain the logic behind citing less than model countries in support of why America should not get into something, and how that doesn't start dragging the US down to their level..morally, it does.

Socreges

Banned
no you are complicating a very simply concept, he who has the most power wins and sets the rules, many of the problems of the world is because there is absurd notion of everyone is equal, on the same level and should be treated as such.
What does that matter to what I said? Address this, instead:

"If isolationism hurts the rest of the world, then it invariably hurts the US. The world is incredibly interdependent (largely on the US , of course). Cooperation is so, so necessary to stability."
It absolutely fits into today's "international Community" across the board, You think Sudan would be dragging its feet to stop the killings in darfur if they knew not doing so would mean certain economic and physically destruction? fear is a powerful motivator.
Of course it is. Often. But you used that quote as if to support your argument that America can do what it likes and isolate itself without consequence. Fear will only work for so long and for certain countries.
Ok, where?
my bad, but it still fits into the fact of an outside entity trying to dictate what is best for someone, in this case Israel who is rightly ignoring this ruling.
One nation will decide what is best for themselves. The ICJ will sooner decide what is best for two.

Here is an opposing perspective.
oh touch on it and let see where this theory goes.
You stress that America should be able to do whatever it wants, with no law binding them. You don't seem to care for the expense. The US becoming weaker is more important than people being held to account; or future war crimes and carelessness being prevented.
As for your dismissal of the teachings of Machiavelli, many things he wrote about is absolutely usable in today's world, along with Sun Tzu of course.
No, I dismissed the relevance. Machiavelli was brilliant.

Hamfam

No. Practically every conflict in foreign affairs can be traced down to one thing, "nationalism".

Alowing a state of World anarchy, where the most nationalistic nations survive, will only further fuel nationalism in other ussually more pascifist nations.

Ironically, this is what happened to the US early, and this is what the US is now helping spread further.

It's a viscious circle, and your mentality is only helping such conflict, not solving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom