• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does the “Majora” in The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask mean? Art director explains

20240430-30307-header.jpg

Originally released in 2000 on the N64, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask is a renowned classic. The game’s art director Takaya Imamura recently took to X to reveal the intriguing origins behind the made-up name Majora.

Majora’s Mask was critically acclaimed upon its release, especially for its innovative time-travelling mechanic in which the same three days repeat, and its masks that give the adventure a character-swapping element. The evil ancient artifact Majora’s Mask is the main villain that Link must defeat in the game- and a reoccurring item in later entries to the series. The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask has a slightly darker and odder premise than previous games in the series, and the origin of the name “Majora” is no less bizarre and surprising.

Post translation: I made Mujura’s Mask by combining “Imamura” and “Jumanji.” Really.

In Japanese, the name Majora is spelt Mujura. As Takaya Imamura reveals, it was created by combining his surname, “Imamura,” with the title of the 1995 American fantasy film “Jumanji.” Considering the time travelling aspects of Jumanji, which centers around a supernatural jungle-themed boardgame, it could be argued that the film’s influence can be seen in The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask.

Imamura worked at Nintendo for around 32 years, leaving the company in 2021 to become a university professor and freelancer. In his time at Nintendo, he worked on well-known series such as Star Fox, F-Zero and of course, The Legend of Zelda.

Source - Automaton West

Gambit2483

It has some good side stories sure..but the overall story of "stop this michevious imp from dropping the moon on us"? Best story?

I'd put Skyward Swords story over it as that at least tells the origin of the Master Sword, the Hyrule Land, its different races and the Ganon/Link/Zelda eternal connection.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I prefer the manga explanation that Majora was a Dragon that whose natural armored carapace would grant the user great power which is reflected in the Fierce Deity using a musical instrument to make Majora dance for 3 days straight. Killing Majora and then the FD carves a mask out of his carapace. Which is Majora's Mask.

Which gives parallels to the whole FD vs Majora thing.

Some will say the Manga is non-canon but it's the only real origin story of Majora we have.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It has some good side stories sure..but the overall story of "stop this michevious imp from dropping the moon on us"? Best story?
That's watering almost every Zelda game to, "Stop Ganondorf."

Last edited:

Gambit2483

That's watering almost every Zelda game to, "Stop Ganondorf."
😂 was there any major sub plots in Majoras Mask that I missed or forgot? Like I said, it had great side quest about the individual people but the main plot was (from what I recall) super weak. The 4 guardians thing was cool but it's at best a really good gaiden story, imo but not the best "Zelda" story....I mean Zelda isn't even in it.

Gaiff

😂 was there any major sub plots in Majoras Mask that I missed or forgot?
Yes. The Clock Tower residents panicking and arguing over whether or not to still have the festival or bail because the moon keeps getting closer by the day, and the incompetent mayor not knowing what to do. The Dekus wanting to execute the monkey because they think he kidnapped their princess. Darmani's death on Snowhead and his refusal to move on. Mikau's death, and Lulu's eggs and the pirates. Basically, the backstories of the three mandatory masks. Igos du Ikana and Captain Keta fighting the Garo Ninjas and so on. They're all part of the main plot and how the Skull Kid's actions affected the people of Termina.
Like I said, it had great side quest about the individual people but the main plot was (from what I recall) super weak. The 4 guardians thing was cool but it's at best a really good gaiden story, imo but not the best "Zelda" story....I mean Zelda isn't even in it.
The main plot if you ignore all the threads tying down to it, sure, but that'd be like saying OOT is just stopping Ganondorf and dismiss the 7 year time skip, the sages, the sacred realm, Ganondorf's connection with the Gerudo, the goddesses, the Ocarina of Time, and everything else.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Yes. The Clock Tower residents panicking and arguing over whether or not to still have the festival or bail because the moon keeps getting closer by the day, and the incompetent mayor not knowing what to do. The Dekus wanting to execute the monkey because they think he kidnapped their princess. Darmani's death on Snowhead and his refusal to move on. Mikau's death, and Lulu's eggs and the pirates. Basically, the backstories of the three mandatory masks. Igos du Ikana and Captain Keta fighting the Garo Ninjas and so on. They're all part of the main plot and how the Skull Kid's actions affected the people of Termina.

The main plot if you ignore all the threads tying down to it, sure, but that'd be like saying OOT is just stopping Ganondorf and dismiss the 7 year time skip, the sages, the sacred realm, Ganondorf's connection with the Gerudo, the goddesses, the Ocarina of Time, and everything else.
get em GIF

Gambit2483

All of that is well and good and I admit great little side quests (or sub plots if stretching) that help flesh out the world and characters but the game's main plot has fuck all to do with the Triforce, Master Sword, Zelda, the 3 Goddesses or even Hyrule. I personally just can't call a story that lacks any of that the "Best Zelda" story.

Last edited:

Gaiff

All of that is well and good and I admit great little side quests (or sub plots if stretching) that help flesh out the world and characters but the game's main plot has fuck all to do with the Triforce, Master Sword, Zelda, the 3 Goddesses or even Hyrule. I personally just can't call a story that lacks any of that the "Best Zelda" story.
So your logic is that since it doesn’t repeat the same thing that the series has been repeating for almost 4 decades, it doesn’t have the best "Zelda story"?

For the record, I said best story, not Best Zelda story. That it doesn’t have all those elements is a great thing in my books. Part of the reason I also like Link’s Awakening’s story better than the rest as well.

Sakura

Not all Zelda games have all those things though, so why is it important to being a good Zelda story? The Master Sword wasn't in the first two games, the triforce isn't in all the games, the 3 goddesses aren't really introduced until OoT and aren't even really relevant in most of the games they are mentioned in, Zelda isn't in Links Awakening either, not all the games take place in Hyrule, etc.
I don't think a Zelda game should have to hit a checklist of Zelda tropes to be a good story.

peronmls

I thought he was gonna give us lore on who Majora was and why the mask is cursed. This was not the answer I was expecting

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I always liked the art style of Majora’s Mask, but I never liked the game itself. I was so excited during the pre and post release of OOT. Had both strategy guides and a Toys R Us preorder for the gold cart. At the time, I skipped Majora’s Mask when I heard there were masks and a timer. I played it on the 3DS and I didn’t care for it. The mask was cool. Whoever designed the mask did a good job.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

So your logic is that since it doesn’t repeat the same thing that the series has been repeating for almost 4 decades, it doesn’t have the best "Zelda story"?

For the record, I said best story, not Best Zelda story. That it doesn’t have all those elements is a great thing in my books. Part of the reason I also like Link’s Awakening’s story better than the rest as well.
My logic is that you could call it the Legend of Zoldo: Majora's Mask (changing a few elements like Zoras and Gorons) and no one would bat an eye. So that to me automatically disqualifies it as the best "Zelda" story.

And yes it's a Zelda game so I consider that when ranking the stories. I like the Zelda lore, therefore I like Zelda games that add to the lore in significant ways. This is a good gaiden side story, just like Links Awakening but it has nothing that really connects it to Zelda and therefore I can't consider it the "best"....anyways going round in circles so we can just agree to disagree. I still put Skyward Sword, WW and TP to have the best Zelda stories that actually feature Zelda.

Last edited:

Gaiff

My logic is that you could call it the Legend of Zoldo: Majora's Mask (changing a few elements like Zoras and Gorons) and no one would bat an eye. So that to me automatically disqualifies it as the best "Zelda" story.
But I never said Zelda story. I said it has the best story of any Zelda.

Still the best Zelda game ever with the best story

That's what I said. Not sure why you're going on a tangent about it needing to feature a bunch of recycled elements or it being a "Zelda story". I don't really care about those aspects and I think they actually tend to weaken the story by making it more formulaic and predictable.

Gambit2483

Not all Zelda games have all those things though, so why is it important to being a good Zelda story? The Master Sword wasn't in the first two games, the triforce isn't in all the games, the 3 goddesses aren't really introduced until OoT and aren't even really relevant in most of the games they are mentioned in, Zelda isn't in Links Awakening either, not all the games take place in Hyrule, etc.
I don't think a Zelda game should have to hit a checklist of Zelda tropes to be a good story.
I didn't say it has to have every one of those elements but that it has none of those elements...like none. Not all Zelda games feature every element but most feature at least 2 or 3 of the main elements of the LOZ world/story.

Top Bottom