• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening |OT| The Ballad of the Wind Fish is charting again!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Holy s***! :pie_fface_mouth:
But we all already Know this since Game boy Original Game.

Also they call you THIEF.

I Give thank you NIntendo to not censored this.

So please Nintendo Launch a Marin Plush or Amiibo at least... im ready to get it.

La19-marin.png

TLoZ%20LA%20-%20000000000.jpg

:messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:
Finished the game, was missing 3 heart pieces and 6 secret seashells. I'll probably look up a guide or something later and finish it up 100%.

For the shells, keep a few things in mind.

-2 are earnable for catching different fish in the fishing minigame
-2 are earnable in the crane game.
-1 is earnable for getting a good time in the Rapid Race course (Save before playing and reload if you don't succeed to keep your money as failure is pricey)
-1 is earnable by doing the first page of custom dungeons in Dampe's Shack
-1 is found after completing the trading sequence to get the magnifying glass.
-1 is earned after talking to Christine after doing her errand.
-Face Shrine and Eagle's Tower have 1 each as well.

So that's at least TEN alone that aren't just laying around in the overworld. Keep these in mind to avoid aimlessly wandering around to search for them if you've dug up and uncovered all the shells on the map.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
But we all already Know this since Game boy Original Game.

Also they call you THIEF.

I Give thank you NIntendo to not censored this.

So please Nintendo Launch a Marin Plush or Amiibo at least... im ready to get it.

La19-marin.png

TLoZ%20LA%20-%20000000000.jpg

:messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_blowing_kiss:
I never played the original, so this was quite a WTF moment :messenger_grinning_smiling:

The performance is absolute dogshit. How did Nintendo think this is acceptable?

Even locked 30 would be better.

Hampering an otherwise fun experience so far.

This game has been the perfect little travel companion. I’m traveling from Maui to NY, so a game based on a small paradise island is great.

I played this game a million times as a kid and beat it a couple more times as I’ve gotten older. I’m glad to see that the devs respected the original. Now I’m kind of hoping they do the same thing to the Ages games as well. For some reason I could never get into the Game Boy originals, but a remake in this style would definitely interest me.

cafevincent

Neo Member
I don't get it. When I die I get resurrected in the same exact spot. Doesn't that make lives and energy pointless? is this not an issue for you guys?

Makes me think maybe I made the wrong choice going for hero mode, if in any case I have virtually infinite energy, then in hero mode I would just be looking at the game over screen more often...

Tevious

I don't get it. When I die I get resurrected in the same exact spot. Doesn't that make lives and energy pointless? is this not an issue for you guys?

Makes me think maybe I made the wrong choice going for hero mode, if in any case I have virtually infinite energy, then in hero mode I would just be looking at the game over screen more often...
You had the medicine cream stuff that revives you on death, like ferries do in the other games. (Ferries just restore about 6~8 hearts or so.) You get it from the lady that lives in the house next to the witch hut or inside some chests for some of the dungeons. Once you die, you lose the cream.

Ceadeus

Wow, i just seen the game is full price..

Nintendo being Nintendo , right :/ 79.99$ for a game that used to be 39.99$

cafevincent

Neo Member
You had the medicine cream stuff that revives you on death, like ferries do in the other games. (Ferries just restore about 6~8 hearts or so.) You get it from the lady that lives in the house next to the witch hut or inside some chests for some of the dungeons. Once you die, you lose the cream.

No, just the normal death. I click retry and I spawn at the same location as if nothing happened.

mcjmetroid

So now that the usual 9/10 reviews are out and some of you have finished it.
Is it worth full price?
I mean it's either me getting this or astral chain to satisfy me for a while and im leaning more towards astral chain.

I'm getting the feeling all you see in the vids is all you get.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
No, just the normal death. I click retry and I spawn at the same location as if nothing happened.

If you die in a dungeon it should spawn you back at the start of the dungeon. All your progress through the dungeon will still be there though. I think if you die in the world it just respawns you one screen back, or somewhere really close.

Last edited:

Tevious

Is it worth full price?
I mean it's either me getting this or astral chain to satisfy me for a while and im leaning more towards astral chain.

I finished it and enjoyed it a lot, despite not really caring for the chibi art style too much. I never really played it before, so it was refreshing to have a more traditional Zelda (gameplay-wise) with actual dungeons. It also felt a lot like a Majora's Mask-esque sequel to ALttP. It's probably up among my favorite Zelda titles. That said, for the remake that it was, it probably should have been a $40 game instead of $50. If you don't have a lot of disposable income or the frame drops are going to be a deal-breaker for you, then wait for a sale. Otherwise, if you never played the original before or really loved the original, then go ahead and get it.

WindomURL

Is it worth full price?

In your estimation, does length or hours played to completion dictate the dollar value?
Asking because it's just, when all is said and done, not a lengthy game. There's a bit of extra content that wasn't in the original that can pad things out, but it's in no way a 30 or 40+ hour game.

Only got it on release because I'm a total, irredeemable sucker for the original, which I played through probably a dozen times as a kid. It's an amazing game, but I can't deny that I feel the pang of the price tag as it rapidly comes to a close.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's pretty dope. i hear the game is short so i am taking my time, trying to not use a guide, etc. played for 4 or 5 hours so far and i've done 3/8 dungeons, so i'd say 10-15 hours is about right. i definitely see replaying the game because it is so fun to play.

Bioshock Infinite was sold at full price and that game takes 12 hours to beat. Astral Chain says "12 to 18" hours so not a huge difference. this game has a great amount of polish and is a joy to play. if you need more than 15 hours then look for an RPG or open world game.

is it worth it? ultimately, it's a choice you have to make as an individual consumer. it largely depends on how much leisure spending money you have. i make $20 an hour at my job so as long as a game is fun for more than 3 hours it was worth it.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

In your estimation, does length or hours played to completion dictate the dollar value?
Asking because it's just, when all is said and done, not a lengthy game. There's a bit of extra content that wasn't in the original that can pad things out, but it's in no way a 30 or 40+ hour game.

Only got it on release because I'm a total, irredeemable sucker for the original, which I played through probably a dozen times as a kid. It's an amazing game, but I can't deny that I feel the pang of the price tag as it rapidly comes to a close.
It would ya it's what threw me off resident Evil 2 remake as well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Considering the amount of work and improvements that went into it, I think $49-59 is a good deal for the game: 12-15 hours of gameplay (easily more...) is worth the price of entry / is a fair price for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, i just seen the game is full price..

Nintendo being Nintendo , right :/ 79.99$ for a game that used to be 39.99$
$39.99 in 1993 dollars. Which adjusted for inflation is about $70 in 2019 dollars.

This game is honestly one of the best remasters I've ever played. They took something completely vintage and a product of it's time, and made it something modern. They kept the original game's charm and made it even more fun to play, in my opinion.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if you want to buy the Gameboy game, you can still do that. it is around $50-$70 for a complete in box copy. which, yeah, is about the same price it cost new on release. so you can buy that, and play a game with 2 buttons and 4-color black and white graphics, which you will need an outdated piece of hardware for, or play this, with full 3D graphics and sound, and it plays on a current system.

Last edited:
if you want to buy the Gameboy game, you can still do that. it is around $50-$70 for a complete in box copy. which, yeah, is about the same price it cost new on release. so you can buy that, and play a game with 2 buttons and 4-color black and white graphics, which you will need an outdated piece of hardware for, or play this, with full 3D graphics and sound, and it plays on a current system.
Or if you don't care about the box, if you want the original you can just get it on 3DS for 6$.

Last edited:

WindomURL

Considering the amount of work and improvements that went into it, I think $49-59 is a good deal for the game: 12-15 hours of gameplay (easily more...) is worth the price of entry / is a fair price for me.
There's no doubt that it's a great piece of work. I paid full price, knowing the content and length of the game intimately, and it's still been nothing but a good time, albeit short. Someone going in blind would get a lot more time out of it than I did.

It just comes down to where one assigns value.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me the worth of the game is not about how long it is, for me it's all about stratification. even the game its about 5-6 hours long, if it gives satisfying experience then its worth the full price.

Ceadeus

$39.99 in 1993 dollars. Which adjusted for inflation is about $70 in 2019 dollars.

This game is honestly one of the best remasters I've ever played. They took something completely vintage and a product of it's time, and made it something modern. They kept the original game's charm and made it even more fun to play, in my opinion.

Well I might bit one day but at 90$ TX included it's crazy. It's actually my personal favorite Zelda!

Didn't know inflation was this enormous!

Oh, and for those of you who are missing 5 pieces of heart, go do all of Dampe's dungeon puzzles. After beating the first three tabs you'll get one piece of heart AND a heart container. So there's your five pieces right there. Will bump you up from 18 hearts to 20!

Last edited:

Mochilador

it's pretty dope. i hear the game is short so i am taking my time, trying to not use a guide, etc. played for 4 or 5 hours so far and i've done 3/8 dungeons, so i'd say 10-15 hours is about right. i definitely see replaying the game because it is so fun to play.

Bioshock Infinite was sold at full price and that game takes 12 hours to beat. Astral Chain says "12 to 18" hours so not a huge difference. this game has a great amount of polish and is a joy to play. if you need more than 15 hours then look for an RPG or open world game.

is it worth it? ultimately, it's a choice you have to make as an individual consumer. it largely depends on how much leisure spending money you have. i make $20 an hour at my job so as long as a game is fun for more than 3 hours it was worth it.
I consider replayability more important than the total amount of hours to beat a game.
Some games are shorter but it's very easy to go through them again. Kinda like Metal Gear Rising and Resident Evil 2.
When a game is very long, it's hard to go back into it, even more when it has a lot of filler content and unskippable stuff.

Arozay

Took me 10 hours all up. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I wouldn't mind a Zelda without frame-rate issues. Maybe next console...

Shifty

Just finished it up. They did a real nice job on the conclusion of the game, though I think the ending cinematic misses the detail of seagulls flying into the sunset, which is implied to be marin getting her wish after the dream ends in the original. I know it has its own way of implying it, but it felt less clear this time.

I completely forgot that the trading quest is non-optional in the end too :messenger_open_mouth:

So, final thoughts. I'll lead with the critique:

Framerate. The drops are there, but only when streaming in new areas. In 95% of cases it's rock solid after loading has completed, so this was actually the least of my worries.

The input implementation is bit of a joke. If the analog movement was actual analog movement I could perhaps understand, but forcing you to use the analog when link can only move in 8 directions anyway is ridiculous.
I suspect they put that restriction in place to prevent the player from cheesing certain puzzles with finely-aimed projectiles or jumps, but that could easily have been solved by restricting just those things to 8-way movement instead of Link as a whole.

Two of the triggers being wasted on duplicate inputs instead of extra item slots is also super dumb, because it fails to solve the constant item switching from the original. It mitigates it a bit, but if I had four slots I could do bombs / arrows / roc's feather / hookshot and not need to switch for 90% of my exploration and combat needs.

Messing with the secret seashell quest was also a mistake. The original is one of the best collectible quests around because it doesn't go overboard with the item count (20 shells = reward) and gives you 6 more shells than you need, thus preventing that awful aimless wandering that comes with needing to find just one or two more.

The remake not only adds 24 more shells on top of the original 26, but also interferes with the reward distribution. The 6-shell buffer is gone and the koholint sword comes at 40 shells instead of 20, meaning you're likely to get it way later in the game. It also adds a bunch of extra items like heart containers and custom dungeon chambers for the new dampe content before you get the original reward, which just feels like a piss-take and robs the quest of the simplicity and satisfaction it originally had.

Speaking of the custom dungeon stuff, it's fine. Too simple to be on Mario Maker's level and the challenges all feel like exercises in box-ticking because of how stringent the constraints are, but you could probably get creative in free mode and build something neat. I think it's hamstrung from the get-go because you don't get to build your own puzzles and the objective always boils down to 'get all the chests and kill the boss'.

As for the other new content, the figurines from the crane game are nice enough but ultimately not worth the effort since all you get is a little bit of flavour text for each one and another sodding chamber stone for completing the set.

But, despite those criticisms, it's super faithful to the original, has a lovely aesthetic, and is a remake of a game that's still great arguably the best top-down Zelda all these years later. The small-but-dense overworld is something game developers have all but forgotten and need to bring back, and it's crammed with charm in its design and writing.

Great stuff :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I seems to be missing 1 heart?

I got 32 heartpieces = 8 hearts
Defeated 8 bosses = 8 hearts

I start with 3 hearts

So 19 in total.
What de fuck did i do wrong?

I seems to be missing 1 heart?

I got 32 heartpieces = 8 hearts
Defeated 8 bosses = 8 hearts

I start with 3 hearts

So 19 in total.
What de fuck did i do wrong?

Collecting a certain amount of sea shells and cashing them in at the mansion eventually gives you an entire heart container over time, and beating the first few tiers of Dampe's dungeons eventually give you a heart container as well. Give those a try.

Spukc

Collecting a certain amount of sea shells and cashing them in at the mansion eventually gives you an entire heart container over time, and beating the first few tiers of Dampe's dungeons eventually give you a heart container as well. Give those a try.
I got the 2 heartpieces from dampe.
And collected all the seashells?

Do you get another whole heart from dampe instead of just a small piece?
I have no clue what went wrong xD

CyberPanda

Banned

Spukc

Incomplete guide like i said i collected all heartpieces and shells.
Plus beaten bosses

This is weird

I got the 2 heartpieces from dampe.
And collected all the seashells?

Do you get another whole heart from dampe instead of just a small piece?
I have no clue what went wrong xD

Yup, 1 heart piece and 1 heart container for beating all first 3 tiers of dungeons.. That's how I got my last two hearts! Also there was a weird glitch where I had to talk to him twice afterwards just to get the last heart to register after getting the container.

Last edited:

Spukc

Yup, 1 heart piece and 1 heart container for beating all first 3 tiers of dungeons.. That's how I got my last two hearts! Also there was a weird glitch where I had to talk to him twice afterwards just to get the last heart to register after getting the container.
Ahaa damn thanks man

Bootyful

Banned
GameSpot here is doing a trade two games of $15 and get Link's Awakening promotion, so I traded in Sea of Thieves which I don't need due to being on Game Pass, and KH3 which I bought at launch for $40 and didn't even open. Couldn't pass that offer up.

The framerate dips are definitely noticable and annoying. Not sure how reviewers didn't mention it more. Hopefully it gets patched, but at least the music sounds awesome.

ExpandKong

Banned
So, so tired of all the “omg $60” comments here and elsewhere. Yes, the original game was $40 when it came out 25 years ago. It was also in three shades of green. Call the police.

Glad I held off on my replay to play this version instead. Framerate issues are noticeable but not a dealbreaker at all for me. Loving the new visuals and remastered music. The custom dungeons are an interesting diversion.

I never did get the stronger sword before, maybe I’ll try this time.

Vawn

Banned
This is my favorite Zelda game. It's impressive how well it holds up to this day with basically just a graphics update.

The performance issues are frustrating. I am not as sensitive to minor framerate issues as a lot of people, but this is bad enough to bother me. But, definitely not bad enough to keep me from loving the game.

Top Bottom