• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

hinch7

Going in between several games.. the latter two being replays

Stray (PS5)
Ghost of Tsushima (PS5)
Max Payne 3 (PC - Steam Deck)
Half-Life 2 (PC - Steam Deck)

My Backlog is like the videogame version of hoarding.

I got to many that "im playing"

Halo infinite
Rift apart
Gotg
Lugi mansion 3
Botw
Skywards sword.
Tlou2

And several other gamepass games 😲
I've played almost all those games and can't imagine starting one before finishing the first. My brain can't comprehend why people game in that manner.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Finished Sonic Generations. Brilliant game. Did the side missions and got all S ranks except the last level cuz it was boring. Also did all the hidden star hunting in the Genesis and Dreamcast era levels.

Kinda wanna fuck with Sonic Rush now. But I do have the Mega Collection Plus for PS2 as well, hmm....

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Beat Horizon Forbidden West a few days ago. Kind of just rushed through it near the end. Even dropped the difficulty on the last two bosses. Wanted it to be over.

It was okay. Curious to see how the 3rd installment plays out in terms of gameplay and how they expand on that. If it's more of the same I'll pass.

Booted up Ghost of Tsushima as I never played the expansion. Figured I'd be a little burned out on open world but no. Game is so much fun. Might even try and platinum it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
My JP copies of Panzer Dragoon and Panzer Zwei (Sega Saturn) arrived today. They look glorious. The packaging is remarkable, the first game even includes a large fold-out poster. If only Sega America had put this much effort in the US Saturn games. But that’s another topic & I’m not about to start yet another “Why Sega Screwed Up” discussion.

I also got a Saturn racing wheel that arrived last week and I’ve been going through all my driving games and absolutely loving every minute. You probably don’t realize that half the Saturn racing games were designed for that wheel, and digital controls were a mere afterthought.

Duchess

Tales of Arise. Enjoying it, though I'm finding the difficulty spike of the bosses is somewhat insane. Playing on moderate, but might drop down to normal for the current boss, if I can't beat them within an hour.

RAIDEN1

For me Judgement is proving to be a bit of a drag, I know it is a good game in its own right, probably didn't help that I started it at the beginning of the year and didn't come back to it for months... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Jaybe

Nobody Saves The World. I’m really enjoying this. About 6 hours in now. The hook is you get new forms and need to upgrade them doing form specific quests, then later can mix and match absolutes between them (which I just unlocked). Studio did Gucamelee before. It hit game pass earlier this year for those that have it.

Last edited:
Currently Playing:
Trek to Yomi - Looks good, everything else is sort of average. Gamepass though, so I'm glad I didn't pay for it ($1 for 3 months GP FTW)

Finished most recently:
Guardians of the Galaxy (2021)- Truly excellent game. I was put off initially by Star Lord because he looks like a complete douchebag and skipped the game for months because of it. I made a big mistake though as I now find it immensely enjoyable. It's not perfect as it's got some bugs, audio problems (dialogue not appearing, directional awareness, dialogue cutting off etc.) and story/pacing issues but those are minor gripes though. A very solid 8.5/10 for me.

Last edited:

Rodolink

After finishing the Impossible Lair...
Finally started ghost of Tsushima, bad thing to do after recently playing Sekiro, the quality level is way off. Although understandable since one is an open world.
Gameplay wise feels blunt and simple.
But I'm digging the lore and all the historical depictions of japanese culture at the time.
Audio wise it's superb and sounds very good on PS5 also haptics are nice while riding the horse you can feel the different terrain.
Which brings me to the galloping animation, man how come that passed design during development? feels very wrong and old kindda like Twilight Princess galloping the horse feels like sliding on the ground, wasn't expecting RDR2 level of horse but something better.
Anyway I've been enjoying my time with it, let's see how it goes.

lachesis

Playing Gravity Rush 2, little by little.

Got to the town area in Chapter..2? and I appreciate it's got more colors compared to GR1.
The game always amazes me with the scale of each area too.
My main gripe of GR1 was that I felt like somewhat disconnected to the environment as there wasn't much interaction between Cat and the city environment, and felt like a missed opportunity.
While I don't exect the game to be any different - but right now I'm just enjoying jumping around buildings getting some gems.

I thought lower framerate would bother me much, but so far I have no complaint - that at least it seems pretty steady on PS5.
Perhaps that low frame rate of Age of Calamity really did train my eyes to be more tolerable.. ;)

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Elden Ring is all# I've been playing since it's release.. Such a beautiful game.

#Occasionally some Infinite MP. Haven't touched GT7 in almost two months now it feels like. But that's okay. Hopefully I'll have a PS5 when I complete (maybe plat) ER so it'll feel like a next gen game to me and that's something worth looking forward to imho

Edit: I do sincerely hate the fact I haven't played through the whole game from the start with Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT I was still a bit burned out on Sport and seeing 80% of 7 feels like Sport.... In short sorry T, I crave the RUUUUUNES

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Still slowly going through Live A Live and Okami.

Most of my time is dedicated to Baldur's Gate. I ended up dropping the first game after like 20 hours, since the story wasn't too interesting and the sidequests were even worse. Also exploring dungeons sucks since they are a collection of very thin hallways that barely can fit your party. Still liked it, and it's quite impressive for a first attempt at an RPG by BioWare.

So yeah, skipped it and went to play the sequel, Baldur's Gate 2, and holy shit is it a jump of quality. No more empty wilderness or shitty dungeons, now every screen looks great. Every fight is tense since there are almost always magic casters on both sides and there's much more strategy involved because of that. Sidequests all have been great so far and the writting is much better. Really liking this one so far.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A little bump since I love this thread and it's getting dangerously buried. :lollipop_sad_relieved:

Still going through Baldur's Gate II. Loving it so far, specially after googling about the different status effects and how to counter them. Man there's a lot of depth to the magic system.

So far I'm really liking it, and there are two things that really stand out imo, those being the music (specially in battle, lots of cool and tense tracks) and the quest design, which so far all are not only very well written,
but also offer lots of options, little side stories and basically much more depth than anything I've sawn in modern, more popular RPGs. This game really puts Elder Scrolls and The Witcher 3 to shame.

LTTP but I started FF7 Remake on PS5. Didn’t follow media coverage or trailers, didn’t know a whole lot going in. I enjoyed 7 when it came out, didn’t do it for me like 6 did but I guess I’m one of those assholes.

I’m bouncing off it pretty hard. 5 hours in, had to change the VO to Japanese because the English VO is skin crawling, worse than anime cringe.

Strategic turn based ATB replaced by shitty button mashing FF15 shit. “Classic” mode isn’t anything classic, it’s bad AI fumbling while you wait to use a special move.

Read the devs said they changed the battle system to appeal to today’s audience.

jerk-off-the-hangover.gif

There’s nothing wrong with turn based combat. Every game does not need to be an action game.

Kind of want to finish it just as a curiosity but knowing now that this remake is going to be spread across three games that will hopefully come out within the next 10 years…

What the fuck. I’m surprised seemingly no one was upset by any of this.

About to write off one of my favorite franchises but I guess you can never go home when video games are now such a huge industry that has to appeal to great audiences to get any kind of decent return.

Fuck this shit man. It sucks.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Even though I own Tarkov on PC, I spend all day sat at my desk for work but I still had that Tarkov itch so I've been playing Vigor on Xbox.

Super LTTP on this one, and i know its not the most popular game but I'm really enjoying it 🤷‍♂️

kether

Neo Member
Finally got around to checking out Neon Abyss. Somehow missed the fact it is a roguelite, which I'm not really into. But the game is a blast so far. Really enjoy the visuals and soundtrack.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Now: Darksiders 1 (360 version on SX)
Next: Ghost Recon Wildlands

Darksiders 1 holds up remarkably well and a good throwback mostly linear action game like the earlier 3D Zelda games. Not every game needs an open world and this is a good example.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
FFVII. at the point you fight the red hair guy on the pillar before the collapse. he is putting some pyramid shit on me and i got a game over lol. i'm too stupid to figure shit out. i looked at a guide and it seems i need to attack tifa/barrett to remove it. i just thought i needed an item to cure them but i don't have any except potions and some phoenix down.

i'm kinda shocked at the pace of the game compared to the remake. i enjoyed the remake but holy shit they added so much :) i'm only 3 hours in so far and it took me about 17 hours to get to that point in the remake!

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
FFVII. at the point you fight the red hair guy on the pillar before the collapse. he is putting some pyramid shit on me and i got a game over lol. i'm too stupid to figure shit out. i looked at a guide and it seems i need to attack tifa/barrett to remove it. i just thought i needed an item to cure them but i don't have any except potions and some phoenix down.

i'm kinda shocked at the pace of the game compared to the remake. i enjoyed the remake but holy shit they added so much :) i'm only 3 hours in so far and it took me about 17 hours to get to that point in the remake!

Yeah the entirety of the remake is just around 6 hours in the original. The ps1 game has incredible pacing, both at the time and even to this day. Its considered a classic for a reason.

FYI items are very useful but they are never required for progression. 'No Item' playthroughs of FF7 have been done many times without much trouble.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah the entirety of the remake is just around 6 hours in the original. The ps1 game has incredible pacing, both at the time and even to this day. Its considered a classic for a reason.

FYI items are very useful but they are never required for progression. 'No Item' playthroughs of FF7 have been done many times without much trouble.
thanks, that's good to know :) i got past that fight and stocked up on some items so i should be fine now! just back at aerith's house.

Aenima

Returnal

I almost gave up after dying more than 10 times in the 1st biome, and not because the game is too hard, but because its extremely punishing when u die. Eventually i got the hang of the game mechanics and finding and activating the checkpoint in the biome is a game changer, then completed the 2nd biome only dying 1 time and without losing any progress, now on the 3rd biome. Exploring the maps without knowing what to expect is great, and the boss fights are amazing.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

Gundam Side Story Trilogy on Sega Saturn.

This is a true hidden gem, even diehard Saturn fans don’t seem to know about it. Imagine Virtual On if it were an action game where you storm enemy bases, shoot down tanks, smash up giant robots and burn down every building in sight. It’s all such great fun and looks smashing. Here is a perfect example of Sega’s hardware design being used to its fullest, combining 3D polys and 2D sprites while maintaining a fast 30fps.

Sega should have imported this trilogy and slapped the Transformers name on it. Could you imagine playing this as Optimus Prime? Why did this not happen?! Augh!!

They finally added DLSS to Stranger of Paradise, so I can play the game without it being a blocky mess on my screen. I'm a big Nioh fan and this seems good so far, they're a mix of solid basic design and some technical concepts like attack cancelling that seem like they'll be fun to play with. I also love how the game's overall vibe feels like it's the videogame equivalent of a Linkin Park album; it's goofy and uncalculated in a way that feels so quaint in 2022.

I've also been playing more Gunvolt and my final opinion on these games is that Luminous Avenger iX 1 is an actually sick game, but its sequel is shit and GV1 & 2 are hindered by Gunvolt being unfun to play as, and the level design generally being complete shit. I've also been playing Gunvolt 3 and my opinion there is less than final but the basic gameplay concepts seem like they were designed by a sensible person. It seems like they knew that Gunvolt was kind of basic and did their best to improve that. I think I'll like it in the end.

Finished Lego Skywalker Saga a couple of days ago (pretty boring game actually; feels weird to say that about a Lego game but it has way too much collectibles for its own good. I'd sooner get all Korok Seeds again, than try to 100% this game a second time). Now I'm kinda on a break trying to decide what to play next.

Will probably be Xenoblade though (the first one).

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just wrapped a 100% playthrough of Globesweeper: Hex Puzzler.

It's a solid puzzle game. My only major annoyance is in the flagging system. You will be penalized if you flag incorrectly, which can be frustrating on some puzzles as you cannot annotate in any manner. The old minor annoyance is that the clue cells that either create a line or area go away if you pause the game or exit out and come back later. This is only annoying once you get toward the end of the game, where the puzzles become much more complex.

Otherwise, beautifully crafted levels. Decent UI. I would recommend to anyone who loves logic puzzles.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
God of War PC: I went from forcing myself to play this, to having a great time. Slowly new mechanics are opening up, and I’m enjoying this more and more. Seems like a pretty damn big game to, so I’ll be on this for a while.

The Messenger PC/Steam Deck: This is my main Steam Deck game currently, and damn, it’s fun. Shame it took me so long to get around to it!

Hot Wheels PC: My putz around game to get in a couple races while talking on the phone. Haven’t gotten serious with this yet.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
still on my play through of Xenoblade 3 I feel like I should be getting close to the end, but with me constantly doing side quests and farming unique monsters for the Soul Hacker move lost I'm not sure, only level 75 though, still 24 more to go until I hit cap.

TintoConCasera

Hooked on Rimworld. Should have never entered the mods section. :goog_relieved:

LTTP but I started FF7 Remake on PS5. Didn’t follow media coverage or trailers, didn’t know a whole lot going in. I enjoyed 7 when it came out, didn’t do it for me like 6 did but I guess I’m one of those assholes.

I’m bouncing off it pretty hard. 5 hours in, had to change the VO to Japanese because the English VO is skin crawling, worse than anime cringe.

Strategic turn based ATB replaced by shitty button mashing FF15 shit. “Classic” mode isn’t anything classic, it’s bad AI fumbling while you wait to use a special move.

Read the devs said they changed the battle system to appeal to today’s audience.

jerk-off-the-hangover.gif

There’s nothing wrong with turn based combat. Every game does not need to be an action game.

Kind of want to finish it just as a curiosity but knowing now that this remake is going to be spread across three games that will hopefully come out within the next 10 years…

What the fuck. I’m surprised seemingly no one was upset by any of this.

About to write off one of my favorite franchises but I guess you can never go home when video games are now such a huge industry that has to appeal to great audiences to get any kind of decent return.

Fuck this shit man. It sucks.
Yeah the combat just feels unnecessarily obtuse, bounced of five hours or so as well. Had to do some fetch quests around a little dilapidated village and was like “nah”.

On a higher note, just beat Elden Ring after 90 hours, and my goodness, absolutely brilliant. Got into a bit of a lull as I couldn’t push the story forward given my level, so just roamed around for like 10 hours or so. The thing is, even after 90 hours, you are still discovering new areas and/or NPCs, either because you weren’t strong enough to see them earlier or you just blow through and area missing smaller details. Loved this game, probably top 3 of all time for me.

Last edited:

Raven77

Vampire Survivors - really good but after 12 hours in kind of wondering what's the point.

Inscription - didn't like it, then loved it, now after 5 hours I'm not sure I'm that into it. The gameplay is fun though. Maybe it opens up soon. The cabin your in certainly seems to have some mysterious things going on and things to unlock.

San Francisco Rush 2 - N64 - At first I thought, why did I like this as a kid? Then I played a little more and realized how frigging awesome the gameplay is. Tons of car customization, huge open world'ish tracks, awesome push your luck gameplay with lots of ramps to hit, etc.

Goldeneye - N64 - amazing but still trying to find a control setup on the steam deck that I like. I've tried some community ones but most are only okay.

Body Harvest - N64 - Can't get it to run on the Steam deck at more than what appears to be ultra slow motion. Still working in it but I crave the strange lonely open world I remember. Guess I could still bust my copy out and hook up the N64 but wanted it on the go.

Last edited:

ssringo

Back to Elden Ring. Been a real dry year for games.

Taking my time, not rushing for gear and whatnot. Just taking it as I go. Actually got some dialogue from Roderika I never had before by giving her the chrysalid memento before she moves to the Roundtable.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

File under “impulse buy”: I bought an Atari Jaguar from eBay. I don’t want to think about how much I paid for it, and, indeed, I may very well just turn around and sell it again. I may or may not get the multicart that can play the system’s entire software library from an SD card.

I dunno, I just always had a certain nostalgia for Tempest 2000, Iron Soldier and Brutal Sports Football, and let’s not forget Aloen Vs Predator and what is arguably the best version of NBA Jam TE. You probably had to be around when Jaguar was new to care.

Again, might hold on to it, will probably sell it and get my money back sooner rather than later.

Roberts

Elex 2. It is just about the most janky game I have played recently. Performance mode is atrocious with terrible IQ settings and broken shadows and other glitches. That half-assed Dark Souls influenced combat is garbage and many in-game character models were clearly designed by the same lady that ruined that 19th century fresco, but.....

I really love it. It's just so much fun exploring the world and see how it all works.

Top Bottom