• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Needlecrash

a054d4e8e9de3373c697e95a93406ceb.gif

Symphony of the Night

Been a gamer since the 80s and ALWAYS heard how revered this game is. All I can say....the MUSIC is incredible! And the difficulty ramped up a bit when you get to the inverted castle/map. I'm having a blast playing this!
As much as the Sega Saturn version gets shit on, it's my favorite version of Symphony of the Night, or Gekka no Yasoukyoku. Although Koji Igarashi wasn't involved in the Saturn version and it runs inferior to the Playstation version, there are enough changes here that warrant a playthrough. First off, there is a sound test from the Title Screen, including tracks not included in the PS version.

There are 2 new areas (Cursed Prison and Underground Garden), and bosses, new music, new enemies, you can play as Maria and Richter (who has 2 costumes) from the start, new items/weapons and Alucard has a "3rd Hand" exclusively for items; as well as new relics for Alucard. I'd love to see this version get remastered honestly. Maria is BROKEN AS FUCK. She can collect 999 hearts and does damage out the ass too.

Oh, in this version, Alucard can get the Rainbow Robe (Cape automatically changes to different colors) and the Alucard Spear (what Eric Lecarde uses in Castlevania: Bloodlines).

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I am currently playing Tactics Ogre: Reborn across the PS5/Switch/PC. Switch has the Chaos route, PC/PS5 is the Lawful route. Game is like crack I swear. It's so damn good. If you've liked Final Fantasy Tactics, you'll love Tactics Ogre. It's its predecessor actually.

Played the Atari 50 Anniversary collection. I wasn't a fan of it. It's getting sold. Still, it's a decent collection, just not for me I guess.

Started Evil West on PC, runs and plays pretty well maxed out on all setting on my 3080. So far it's pretty fun. Don't pay MSRP for it though, but it's really fun.

Now to wait for NFS Unbound and The Callisto Protocol coming out this Friday.

Started Evil West on PC, runs and plays pretty well maxed out on all setting on my 3080. So far it's pretty fun. Don't pay MSRP for it though, but it's really fun.
Tactics Ogre and Evil West are like top of my "buy on sale" list. Sounds like youre having fun.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

Tactics Ogre and Evil West are like top of my "buy on sale" list. Sounds like youre having fun.
I'm getting between 90-100 FPS in Evil West. Can't complain honestly.

Tactics Ogre Reborn retooled the PSP release entirely (minus random encounters that got axed in favor of training battles that you can only gain XP but no loot and you can't recruit). The changes are drastic enough to call it a completely new game, aside from the story stuff that's still the same. I am not a fan on how the sprites were redone in Reborn and not having random encounters really sucks. You have to grind out training battles or the Phorampa Wildwood battles to progress and there's a level cap now.

Still, the positive changes outweigh the negative and it's worth it.

Last edited:
I'm getting between 90-100 FPS in Evil West. Can't complain honestly.

Tactics Ogre Reborn retooled the PSP release entirely (minus random encounters that got axed in favor of training battles that you can only gain XP but no loot and you can't recruit). The changes are drastic enough to call it a completely new game, aside from the story stuff that's still the same.
Thats actually encouraging for me. I loved the visuals, UI and general gameplay vibe of the PSP one. Huge SRPG fan. But I actually dropped the game after a couple dozen hours. I can't precisely remember why but was hoping a few adjustments could modernize and polish it.

Needlecrash

Thats actually encouraging for me. I loved the visuals, UI and general gameplay vibe of the PSP one. Huge SRPG fan. But I actually dropped the game after a couple dozen hours. I can't precisely remember why but was hoping a few adjustments could modernize and polish it.
Well for starters......

• The game has a Union Level now. Meaning, there is a level cap for your party. If your Union Level is 14, that is the maximum level you can reach at that part of the game. Cap goes up higher as the story progress. I'm up to Union Level 17 now.
  • Every unit has their own level that's tied to the character, not the class anymore. No more Level 23 Terror Knights.
  • Skills are automatically learned with a class as they continue to use the class.
  • All units are given their own element. Light, Dark, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Air, Earth, Water. Darkness and Lightning are essentially the game's meta elements. Ice is a solid choice too.
  • Archers got nerfed.
  • Rouge class is gone completely. Matsuno stated the class didn't bring much to the table anyway, and it was best for it to go.
  • No more 3 Hearts if your character is KO'ed. It's permadeath, Final Fantasy Tactics style. Countdown to 3 and your character is DEAD.
  • THE MUSIC HAS BEEN RE-ORCHESTRATED. LISTEN TO WHITE STORM AND THANK ME LATER.
  • Voice acting is pretty decent in the game.
  • Vibration on the Switch/PS5 version is pretty decent.
  • BATTLE BOOST CARDS EVERYWHERE. Like, 3x as much from the PSP version. Considering the effects stack too? WHEW. A battle can go from fantastic to fucked up if you ain't careful.
  • Game supports mouse and keyboard on all systems, including the Switch. WILD.
  • Crafting items is now a guaranteed 100% success rate.
  • You can only equip 4 skills and 4 items in battle now. I know that seems shitty, but in order to adjust the game balance, it makes sense. It's not so bad. This applies to both enemy and friend alike.
  • The HP you start with is MUCH higher now and is proportionate with the damage you do.
There are more changes, but these are the most noticeable ones.

Last edited:
Well for starters......

• The game has a Union Level now. Meaning, there is a level cap for your party. If your Union Level is 14, that is the maximum level you can reach at that part of the game. Cap goes up higher as the story progress. I'm up to Union Level 17 now.
  • Every unit has their own level that's tied to the character, not the class anymore. No more Level 23 Terror Knights.
  • Skills are automatically learned with a class as they continue to use the class.
  • All units are given their own element. Light, Dark, Fire, Ice, Lightning, Air, Earth, Water. Darkness and Lightning are essentially the game's meta elements. Ice is a solid choice too.
  • Archers got nerfed.
  • Rouge class is gone completely. Matsuno stated the class didn't bring much to the table anyway, and it was best for it to go.
  • No more 3 Hearts if your character is KO'ed. It's permadeath, Final Fantasy Tactics style. Countdown to 3 and your character is DEAD.
  • BATTLE BOOST CARDS EVERYWHERE. Like, 3x as much from the PSP version. Considering the effects stack too? WHEW. A battle can go from fantastic to fucked up if you ain't careful.
  • You can only equip 4 skills and 4 items in battle now. I know that seems shitty, but in order to adjust the game balance, it makes sense. It's not so bad. This applies to both enemy and friend alike.
  • The HP you start with is MUCH higher now and is proportionate with the damage you do.
Dang, thanks for all that.

Well for starters......

• Archers got nerfed.

How hard is this game? Is there any difficulty settings in the remaster?

Indyblue

Right now I’m mainly playing plague tale: requiem and Pokémon violet, with a bit of Eastward and Beacon Pines here and there. Also Splatoon 3.

kether

Neo Member
The first Mass Effect game has been sitting in my Steam library for like 10 years now, and after several years of telling myself to play through the whole Mass Effect trilogy, I've finally installed it. My only Mass Effect experience has been completing ME2. That game came out around the time I had just gotten my first gaming PC and had heard wonderful things about it. Definitely one of my favorite games of all-time. So far I'm only a few hours into the first ME, but am super stoked to be getting back into this world. It's a universe that, even when I'm at work or some other obligation, it's on my mind.

lachesis

Still working on Trails of Zero Kai on Steam/Steam Deck off and on. Currently about mid point of Chapter 2.
Quite different setting from Trails in the Sky. It added some QoL improvements like mass attacks when you attack from behind and all, making the battles go much faster etc.... and glad they did.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Damn, i was hoping Ragnarok would be more fun futher in, but that sounds alarming. I sure as hell won't bother grinding out anything, and will probably just lower the difficulty if I get the experience you're describing.

But yeah, ED is indeed a legit classic. Surpasses most of the other attempts in the genre in the past 20 years.
What difficulty are you playing Ragnarok on?

Ogbert

Just got a 65inch Sony OLED so giving TLOU 2 another go.

Looks astonishing. Gameplay is still way too clunky for my liking, but it’s holding my attention better.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
"Give me balance"

That seems ok when not bothering with side quests and upgrading etc. Just following the main story, and so far (18 hours in) I haven't run into anything that makes me feel like I should have upgraded the gear more.
Oh ok you're good then. I haven't tried the other difficulties but you won't have to grind for anything in Give me balance

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Finished my second run through of Dark Souls remastered and need a break going for the platinum. Booted up deathloop for the first time and it’s a fun change of pace. Very stylish and I'm enjoying it so far but the actual shooting is not grabbing me so far. I prefer stealthing about more to the run and gun gameplay. You get mowed down quickly if you go in all guns blazing.

Ogbert

Finished my second run through of Dark Souls remastered and need a break going for the platinum. Booted up deathloop for the first time and it’s a fun change of pace. Very stylish and I'm enjoying it so far but the actual shooting is not grabbing me so far. I prefer stealthing about more to the run and gun gameplay. You get mowed down quickly if you go in all guns blazing.
Unfortunately, the gunplay is ass.

Finished my DS3 NG+ run, just need to farm a silver tongue so I can respec into dex/int because I want to use Sister Feet’s scythe and the Aquamarine knife in NG++. Probably not going to start that for a while though.

Just waiting for Witcher 3 now. In the meantime I’ve respecced ny Elden Ring knife-only dex/faith character to dex/arc using Morgott’s cursed blade/Eleanor’s pole blade because I want to race through and finish it with her ready for the DLC. Because it’s a focussed build I don’t need to do much - I already have all but one talisman I want. I plan to keep her at 150 and use my strength chad with all items for unlimited levelling during new game cycles.

Last edited:
Prey 2017. It's definitely lacking some polish with the enemies, animations, and the AI but overall I've enjoyed it. Disappointed that they just took the phantom enemy and made 4 versions of it. The variety of encounters isn't great. Story overall is forgettable imo.

After recently finishing Dishonored, which I thought was a masterpiece, Prey just doesn't have that same magic. It's not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it's not a great game either. I'm also playing Mooncrash and it's interesting so far but I need to put more time in it.

Dishonored 2 is up next and my expectations are not so high anymore.

EDMIX

What prompted you to cancel? Decided to play other games first? Or did the previews put you off?

The previews looked fine to me, it was really the whole season pass, drm, death animations mtx type thing. From a 13 hour game, there is no reason for any of that and if they want to keep working on it, I'll buy it used another time when they put out some complete, GOTY type version. I have no issue supporting new IP and no issue with $70 games, I even support that price increase and believe it should have happened last gen, but to have a season pass on top of $70 of what is already a 13 hour game is a bit much, its taking advantage of consumers when we've see developers give out free mtx before after a game went gold, look at how Witcher 3 launched.

They kept developing, I even feel they should have delayed Witcher 3, but the free content doesn't feel scummy, it feels like they indeed had extra time, had extra content and thats all we can make of it, we don't see it as a deliberate ploy to milk consumers even to the point of planning it in advance.

So with the season pass, drm, death animation behind a pay wall etc, it makes me wonder what else are they hiding and I'd rather just buy the final definitive version or something. Imagine the praise they would get if it was free dlc and no drm?

So there are lots of complete games that came out this year and last year that I can run thru that I feel are more deserving right now.

Last edited:

Humdinger

Gold Member
Spider Man Miles Morales. It's pretty good. Lots of spectacle. I'm getting my ass beat in fights more than I'd like, partly because I'm old, and partly because I've forgotten the combat moves over the past few years, so I just need practice. I'm also consulting some Youtube videos for combat tips. The game is good popcorn entertainment, like the first. I doubt it will stay with me as a memorable experience, but it will be fun while it lasts.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just beat Hexen! Game wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, probably since I played with the Cleric and it's final weapon is probably one of the most overpowered I've ever used in a videogame. The "puzzles" (switch hunting) got a little bit easier after the first hub too, which was nice, but the game still requiered some thinking and a lot of attention when navigating the levels.

Don't really know what to play next. Guess I could tackle the expansion pack, but I also started another playthorugh as the warrior on the hardest difficulty and I'm having fun. The enemies being on on turbo mode is a welcome change, makes the combat more fun too.

Max difficulty.

The game is hard as hell so it is not rare for me to die A LOT even during normal encounters.

Also, i'm pretty slow when i explore, didn't even finished the campaign yet.
Ok, that makes sense. I always play on normal, unless a trophy requires otherwise.

Crayon

Omg I put so much time into MechWarrior 5 over the weekend. I don't have time to get into the details but I'm having a great time. I've heard mixed things about the games but I'm cool with most of the decisions piranha made here.

It only occured to me last night that it is pretty close to a remake of mechwarrior 1 which is actually something I've wanted for a long, long time.

The best part is the actual gameplay. Mecha really feel unique and some benefit from some particular techniques (that unfortunately you ai companions don't know how to do but whatever). I am hooked. The mech designs are still ugly. I actually grew to dislike them more and more but eventually I was having so much fun that it was easy to look past.

I had a friend swing by who had played a lot and was pointing out some of the main deficiencies that people complain about. I think every battle tech fan has their own idea of what a perfect mechwarrior get would be. I'm just glad this one exists at all and is really fun in its own right.

IoCaster

Trying to clear up some backlog...

Cyberpunk 2077 - Finally loaded this up. I figured they've had plenty of time to patch this up. Well it's still got issues. About a 1/2 dozen bugs/glitches in the first few hours of play. Stuff like getting stuck on or clipping through geometry and 2 bugged quests. I persevered until Keanu showed up. What an annoying and obnoxious character. The story and game went to shit from that point on. I played for another few hours, but I pretty much hated the setting and characters. Uninstalled and put out of mind forever.

Fallout 4 - Honestly, I've never been a big fan of Fallout and this game pretty much closes the book on this franchise for me. The UI is fucking awful, but that's kind of expected since Bethesda suck at making a decent UI for PC. The dialogue system is pure trash. The story and writing wasn't particularly good or interesting or compelling enough to grab me. It would be nice if they could get the guys at id to help them with the shooter gameplay cause that's pretty bad as well. Uninstalled and put out of mind forever.

Just started Dishonored and hoping for the best. :messenger_expressionless:

-Zelda-

Banned
Ys VIII Lacrimosa of Dana PS5 edition. This game was a nightmare to get. Pre ordered back in September, did not get it until today, which means most people already had it for a few weeks, even if they did not pre order. Amazon service has been so much garbage since the begining of October for me. That's what happens when you fire almost 13,000 employees, and your customer service people don't fully understand English.

Ogbert

Clunky in what way? I thought TLOU2 gameplay and area design was great.
It feels like the pinnacle of game design from PS3 era gaming (which makes sense). The UI is ass - weapon swapping is a chore. The scavenging is repetitive. The constant character backpedaling. Basic movement; jumping and running has that half second delay and sense of inertia. Everything is scripted so you’re constantly aware of that sense of rails.

That said, when it sings, it really is fantastic. I love the weight of the combat; it’s brilliantly done. And, in terms of immersion, it’s the equal of Bioshock and Half Life.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack- I had this years ago on Vita, and man it was such a fun little game from Drinkbox Studios. So I fired it up again Steam Deck, and it’s still great. Fun gameplay and a nice concept. Worth checking out if you’ve never played what I would now consider a hidden gem.

Spiderman Remastered- Playing this on my PC.

Dragon Quest XI - I’ve been returning to this on Steam Deck. I think I’m nearing the end of what I guess is the first act.

Top Bottom