• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

I can finally say I'm playing something different after like 8 months of high score attacking on Tokyo 2020.

I got Ms. Pac-Man for two bucks on the PSN there and am fighting with the controls. I might have to find a version for consoles or bust out the ol' Atari Lynx version and work my forearm muscles at the same time.

n0razi

First time!
mxDA9xh.jpg

Shtef

Gold Member
Started Skyrim again, this time with only couple of mods. FPS unlock (155hz is amazing), SkyUI and static mesh improvement Mod.

Binding of Isaac came to gog.com... and got a massive sale... so now I am back to my Crack 1.0, with 3 Expansions I never played (played only the Vita version for 8 years or so) on the Steam Deck and it is absolutely glorious... holy fucking shit, so much new stuff!

Banjo64

cumsessed
Vampire Survivors and a bit of eFootball - just casual at the minute. Finished Elden Ring a couple of weeks ago, need a rest before starting Horizon Forbidden West.

Hohenheim

Currently replaying Eternal darkness on my Gamecube. Haven't played it since it launched in 2002. It's always been one of my all time favourites, and it still feels amazingly well done. Ahead of it's time. Gameplay wise, it feels fresher than God of War Ragnarok, which I also have been playing lately, but at around 12 hours in I was so bored that I dug up the old gamecube.

Will definitly finish Ragnarok as well, but lord is it a slow and boring game outside of the set pieces and bigger moments.
Boring puzzles around every corner. I mean, come on.. he's the fricking GOD of war, why can't he just punch his way around stuff instead of going all Nathan Drake on us..

These Playstation-style 3rd person games really starts to melt into each other at this point.

Anyways, replaying Eternal Darkness really makes me miss Silicon Knights and that ill-fated sequel that never was. It's a shame that this gem of a game is locked away on the Gamecube too. A remaster / remake would be very nice!

Also doing a daily run in Vampire Survivor. Awesome game.

Last edited:
Currently replaying Eternal darkness on my Gamecube. Haven't played it since it launched in 2002. It's always been one of my all time favourites, and it still feels amazingly well done. Ahead of it's time. Gameplay wise, it feels fresher than God of War Ragnarok, which I also have been playing lately, but at around 12 hours in I was so bored that I dug up the old gamecube.

Will definitly finish Ragnarok as well, but lord is it a slow and boring game outside of the set pieces and bigger moments.
Boring puzzles around every corner. I mean, come on.. he's the fricking GOD of war, why can't he just punch his way around stuff instead of going all Nathan Drake on us..

These Playstation-style 3rd person games really starts to melt into each other at this point.

Anyways, replaying Eternal Darkness really makes me miss Silicon Knights and that ill-fated sequel that never was. It's a shame that this gem of a game is locked away on the Gamecube too. A remaster / remake would be very nice!

Also doing a daily run in Vampire Survivor. Awesome game.
ED is legit classic. Dug up my Wii and replayed it as well a while ago and enjoyed every second of it.

The pace of todays games (GOWR) is so slow and everything feels streched to no end. Hitting the final parts of GOW as well now and lost almost all motivation to go on because as the game goes on it becomes more and more obvious that the game wants you to grind out the gear. The last open world section felt so tacked on, I didn't even bother to do anything and now it feels like my gear is not up the level...

That grinding shit is killing modern games for me. I missed the old days where games were designed in a way that you max out your gear with a perfect playthrough.... Now that is such a bloody chore.

Hohenheim

ED is legit classic. Dug up my Wii and replayed it as well a while ago and enjoyed every second of it.

The pace of todays games (GOWR) is so slow and everything feels streched to no end. Hitting the final parts of GOW as well now and lost almost all motivation to go on because as the game goes on it becomes more and more obvious that the game wants you to grind out the gear. The last open world section felt so tacked on, I didn't even bother to do anything and now it feels like my gear is not up the level...

That grinding shit is killing modern games for me. I missed the old days where games were designed in a way that you max out your gear with a perfect playthrough.... Now that is such a bloody chore.
Damn, i was hoping Ragnarok would be more fun futher in, but that sounds alarming. I sure as hell won't bother grinding out anything, and will probably just lower the difficulty if I get the experience you're describing.

But yeah, ED is indeed a legit classic. Surpasses most of the other attempts in the genre in the past 20 years.

tritone

Neo Member
Dragon Quest 11, after putting it down for a long, long time. I restarted and am just getting into the Act 3/post game content - going to be chewing on this one for a while longer (and enjoying every minute of it).

Ulysses 31

Bayonetta on Switch.

Finishing Bayonetta 3 made me want a reminder of how it all started and I'm glad to see the combat still holding up well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Got back into some Dreamcast after that mini thread and I'm now playing Grandia II.

It's a great game, I find its reputation of a lesser story unwarranted now that I'm revisiting it. It's a bit cliche, the translation could have better writing in some parts but overall in sync with the gameplay it's engaging with fun character interactions (love the dinners) and of course awesome combat.

Flycast, native settings + AF + lottes CRT shader (just for a mild improvement/blurring with a true to original look, the characters aren't detailed up close but it's super charming overall as played).
retroarch_2022_11_23_mwemi.png
retroarch_2022_11_23_hbiaa.png
retroarch_2022_11_22_llcdu.png
retroarch_2022_11_22_cdcfs.png
retroarch_2022_11_22_95fex.png
retroarch_2022_11_22_x3i9q.png
retroarch_2022_11_22_h9ixi.png
retroarch_2022_11_23_26djp.png
retroarch_2022_11_23_xjixh.png

It's better than Skies of Arcadia. I started playing that and while pretty fun, I only put Grandia II in to test it but ended up playing 20+ hours by now with Skies of Arcadia on the backburner. Its main story is no less cliche, the overall feel of adventure is similar and its combat is ok in comparison.
retroarch_2022_11_23_i6ilh.png

Edit: I just finished it. Pretty epic. I think it's as good as the first game after all. The one thing that I would change is the way you have to re-equip people's gear, skills, etc. when they fuck off your party and return later. It happens quite a bit. And some things could be better written. That's ALL! 10/10!

Last edited:
Just a bunch of Tomb Raider TRLE's Finished Tomb Raider II The Revised Part 1 and Fantomê yesterday now currently going through the The Sunken City.
Great games quite challenging but thats why i play them i guess.
6ff41bbc-1f4a-4dfb-a807-27be35720047.jpg

Stunning room with fish when you dive in the water and underwater flora.
c4b8c62f-7f47-488c-8019-c8675ff031a3.jpg

Love Venice in Tomb Raider II Revised it was full of new details and much expanded. compared to the original level.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
The last couple of hours in GoW Ragnarok have been pretty epic, with an incredible boss and set piece worthy of the franchise. I think I'm nearing the end and now that everything is coming together I can definitely get behind the hype. The second half of the game has been straight up GOTY-caliber giving Elden Ring a run for its money (even though ER is my personal GOTY). I also think I've come across a hint of the next mythology that Kratos will visit when the Norse realm has been cleared up.

anthony2690

Man, I've enjoyed reading Mr Hyde Mr Hyde excitement posts for his time playing Ragnarok & Blair Witch, I wish more users seemed excited about what they were playing :)

Anyway, sadly I'm twenty hours into star ocean divine force, it's a fun PS2 era jrpg that could be a lot better if it wasn't swamped in abysmal performance issues, slowdown, constant frame drops, it is so poorly optimized, it ruins the experience.

I've stopped exploring the doing side quests as I dread every time I go to open zone areas, even the later super linear dungeons run poorly too :(

I have evil west & persona 5 royal on the shelf waiting for me to play once I finish though, I'll do evil west first as it's a much shorter game. :)

& During the black Friday sale, I burned my reward points & picked up:

Warhammer Chaosbane Slayer Edition Series X
League of Legends Story: Ruined King
Lost In Random
Sherlock Holmes Chapter one
Rainbow Billy
Lost Words

& I really fancy giving greedfall a proper try soon, as I never got round too it, I picked it up at launch and I think it looks great, was browsing my games & noticed it got a series X version now too

Last edited:

Interfectum

God of War: Ragnarok: I'm so conflicted on this game. I like the story, the game performance and the combat but the moment to moment pacing is fucking grueling. Way too many mini-puzzles that block your path from moving forward.

Splatoon 3: Fun multiplayer distraction.

stn

Going back-and-forth between GoW: Ragnarok (PS4), and Star Ocean: Divine Force (PS4). Both are great! As soon as I beat one of them, I'll add Bayonetta 3 (Switch) back to my list, as I left that game on chapter 3.

Dropped Ghost of Tsushima after a few more hours. My instinct was correct. Gorgeous but dull.

Nothing really cuts it after Elden Ring…I’ve spent/wasted like £150 on games chasing that same high since summer this year.

Last edited:

kubricks

Just completed all important endings in Nier Automata on Switch, attempting the special rank colosseum but it seems too hard without grinding more +8 chips. Might end it once and for all via sacrificing my save date for others.

Honestly, this is the best port of a last game game I played on the Switch by far, if you play on handheld that is. I have witness the game with it's full glory on my gaming PC years ago and this port is not embarrassing it one bit.

Will take a break and play some NFS hot pursuit next since I suddenly crave for some arcade racing, then onward to Persona 5 Royal!

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Ragnarök just keeps pounding me with epic scene after epic scene right now. And just when you thought you'd seen it all, a whole new area opens up, new gear and new bosses. 30 hour mark now. All around fantastic game so far, and I think SSM have saved the best for last. What a ride!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Dropped Ghost of Tsushima after a few more hours. My instinct was correct. Gorgeous but dull.

Nothing really cuts it after Elden Ring…I’ve spent/wasted like £150 on games chasing that same high since summer this year.
I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it wasn't bad game but you are right its very dull game in my opinion, especially it open world design.

I personally enjoyed their InFMOUS games way more, its traversal mechanics made its open world more fun even tho that game's open world also not much to find.

Ghost of Tsushima visuals can be very pretty at times but none of locals are memorable compare to Sekiro's Senpou Temple, Sunken Valley, Mibu Village and Fountainhead Palace.

Last edited:

Crayon

I picked up crysis remastered over the weekend and I might just knock it off with that to put my time into something else. ... that AI, jfc. That's really it. I'll give it another shot. I don't remember it being like this, but I know I found the game fun so maybe the ai balances out the suit powers, which are strong.

To be specific: the sightlines of the ai are astoundingly long. And they seem to see you when you are well in cover. Maybe they have some other method of detection like sound that is out of whack but the overal effect is distracting. It's not like it's too hard or even cheap when you expect it but I'm having a little trouble getting into it when these detections are giving y eyebrow a workout every time.

I finished Ghost of Tsushima and it wasn't bad game but you are right its very dull game in my opinion, especially it open world design.

I personally enjoyed their InFMOUS games way more, its traversal mechanics made its open world more fun even tho that game's open world also not much to find.

Ghost of Tsushima visuals can be very pretty at times but none of locals are memorable compare to Sekiro's Senpou Temple, Sunken Valley, Mibu Village and Fountainhead Palace.
Yeah I think Senpou Temple is especially beautiful. The music there is perfect, as well.

I think Ghost would have really appealed to me a few years ago. But Sekiro and Elden Ring have moved things along and now everybody else has to catch up.

GeekyDad

Tactics Ogre Reborn

I love it. I'm a little upset I can't grind levels or money. I like having the security net of being able to get more powerful if I hit a wall. And the game can be a bit difficult.
So, it's out now?

I'm guessing you didn't play the PSP version, then? I only ask because for me, the levels of enemies always keep up with your level. If you have, would love to read your opinions about the changes. I didn't even realize it was out already.

So, it's out now?

I'm guessing you didn't play the PSP version, then? I only ask because for me, the levels of enemies always keep up with your level. If you have, would love to read your opinions about the changes. I didn't even realize it was out already.
I did play the PSP version, but I don't remember too much.

The battle system is quite a bit different and it's more challenging now as there are level caps at each section of the game. It's a lot of fun, but there is no way (that I can tell) to farm money or level up, so I feel if I make bad decisions I could screw my game up.

But, I'm getting by so far, so maybe I'm over thinking it.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Needed more Norse mythology in my life after GoW Ragnarok so I went back to Ac Valhalla. It's been a while since I played it but it's good enough to scratch the itch. Currently doing Isle of Skye dlc that Ubi added. And since I left they've apparently added tons of new stuff to check out. It certainly boasts more variety now which is nice. Hoping to do Paris soon too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Signalis has been cool. Lots of neat ideas with its science fictional dystopian planet. My only complaint is how boring it gets when you’re moving onto the next area.

GeekyDad

I did play the PSP version, but I don't remember too much.

The battle system is quite a bit different and it's more challenging now as there are level caps at each section of the game. It's a lot of fun, but there is no way (that I can tell) to farm money or level up, so I feel if I make bad decisions I could screw my game up.

But, I'm getting by so far, so maybe I'm over thinking it.
Ah, that's actually quite nice to hear. What system are you playing it on, and how much did they set the retail price at?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage

Tried a bit of Vampire Survivor. Does it unlock the other characters when your time limit ends? I kinda like it.
I forget the conditions for additional character unlocks. Check the Unlocks box on the main menu and it will give you the criteria and what you are awarded for each task. That's your best guide to go through the majority of the game. Everything gets easier and easier the more you play.

There's no penalty for refunding your permanent upgrades either, so feel free to experiment.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I forget the conditions for additional character unlocks. Check the Unlocks box on the main menu and it will give you the criteria and what you are awarded for each task. That's your best guide to go through the majority of the game. Everything gets easier and easier the more you play.

There's no penalty for refunding your permanent upgrades either, so feel free to experiment.

Thanks man. I'll keep your info in mind

👊🏼💗👊🏼

Evil West is soooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooooood, glad I ignored negative whiners about this game! Was initially worried about some stuff but so far it's a crazy action packed romp :] I would like to try this in co op at some point and with gyro controls but even the default controller scheme is really good and smooth. This game is nice old school fun, with gore and action and is a nice blend of PS2 and Xbox 360 era gaming while wrapping it up in a nice modern gen graphic style and control scheme

Get this game

Last edited:

Crayon

I did over 20 hours of the surge and I think im good. There's not really enough going on to make it work for me. No revelations in the level design, just expected loop-backs to your campfire. Weapons and armor are not super interesting so far and not coming that fast. It doesn't have much in tes of mystery besides trying to figure out how to handle the occasional new enemy. Fighting is decent but not really good enough to carry for the other deficiencies. Cool game but I'm not feeling another 10-30 hours of it.

Just started MechWarrior 5 this morning tho. Only could do 2 hours but I'm digging it! I was never crazy about the piranha bites mech designs but I don't hate them either. The basic controls feel about right and the campaign so far feels inline with what I was hoping for.

The last couple of hours in GoW Ragnarok have been pretty epic, with an incredible boss and set piece worthy of the franchise. I think I'm nearing the end and now that everything is coming together I can definitely get behind the hype. The second half of the game has been straight up GOTY-caliber giving Elden Ring a run for its money (even though ER is my personal GOTY). I also think I've come across a hint of the next mythology that Kratos will visit when the Norse realm has been cleared up.
There’s gotta be something with the second half that makes this all worth while from what I am seeing. The first 15 hours of this game have been nothing but a slog, terrible pacing, non existent environment interaction, linear, with barbell level design. Here’s to the next 15 hours which should “open up” the game and start letting you play it. The lack of agency here is baffling, but I’m pushing through.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Had a sort of Disney Marathon a couple of months back where I played through some of the best 8 and 16-bit classics like Aladdin, Lion King, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck and Jungle Book

I then thought playing through a couple of Disney games classics on PS1. Started with Mickey's Wild Adventures. It's Mickey Mania on SNES and Genesis but was reworked on PS1 with additional levels I think. But it's basically the same game. I love this game. The adventure takes you on through several of Mickey's most famous movies, like Steamboat Willie, The Mad Doctor and the Prince and the Pauper. The animations are great, the platforming is fun but it is pretty difficult and the loading times are long and tedious (Spoiled by the SSDs of late). But overall it's a fun game. I play through it once every year.

After that I played through Hercules. This one I hadn't tried before, it's a brand new experience for me. And unfortunately it was quite disappointing. The animations and graphics are stellar, blending 2D sprite work with 3D polygons. And the side scrolling levels are the ones that are fun but they are only three levels out of ten. The rest is godawful on rail running (like Crash Bandicoot when he's running from boulders) and boring bosses. But the game follows the movie pretty good and the nice graphics really do hold up, so I guess it was worth it at the end.

Top Bottom