• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Seriously! Infamous, Killzone 2+3 and Resistance collections where are they?! Oh and God of War Ascension and Motorstorm! Ratchet ps3 as well!!!!!!

Sony doesn't seem interested in their legacy anymore, at least not from PS3 and backwards. Let's see if the rumored God of War Collection for PS5 is real. That would at least be something. But yeah, remasters of their PS3 library is sorely missed. And no, streaming it from PS Plus doesn't even remotely count.

Sony doesn't seem interested in their legacy anymore, at least not from PS3 and backwards. Let's see if the rumored God of War Collection for PS5 is real. That would at least be something. But yeah, remasters of their PS3 library is sorely missed. And no, streaming it from PS Plus doesn't even remotely count.

I feel the same way. Jim Ryan made that clear that they don't care about legacy games or BC and frankly, that really really sucks.

Mr Hyde

Trying to play Final Fantasy 9 on Switch but it's so jarring with the low res backgrounds against the high poly characters. The backgrounds looks like absolute shite and it takes me out of the experience. I've played both FF7 and 8 on Switch and they were much better ports. Don't know what the hell happened on 9. Fucking Square, put some effort in to your classic games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Currently playing Alone in the Dark 2024, kind of an ok-ish game. Nothing really stands out.

But I really miss Dragon's Dogma 2, lol. That game shot up to probably my GoTY so far. I had an utter blast playing it.

Paltheos

I like the rankings, thanks for that. You really hated Zero that much? I thought it did a great job of setting things up, but I do agree that Azure is amazing, and for sure Sky 3 is the pinnacle for me so far.
I'm excited to get going with Cold Steel 1, I'm assuming it covers the Erebonian civil war.

Zero's too on the nose about being a setup game:
You visit tons of mysterious locations with obvious greater purposes but for not particularly interesting reasons at the time.
There are guest characters who seem like they should join up properly with the team for how much work was put into their battle designs who don't (and later do in the sequel).
Some of the villains by necessity need to be weaker to not outshine the sequel's, and the Team Magma/Aqua dynamic & aesthetic of the downtime punks and the actual '20s mafioso design of the... mafia are too simple.
None of the SSS really shine because of how procedural the development feels (each member gets some time to spend with Lloyd to spill their guts and it's all... fine, but I always felt that allot of the beats may have been held back for what's ahead (which was partially true lol - Elie doesn't change beyond chapter 2 of Zero, Randy changes a whole lot in Azure).

(I also don't like how the ending tries closing on a happy note but doesn't address the elephant in the room Lloyd himself brought up in the final confrontation but then never follows up on: If someone was able to steal KeA away from the crazy, secret cult and we don't know who that person is or why they did it, isn't KeA still in danger? Not the biggest fan of the recurring cast writing too but I also don't like Renne in general outside of her Star Door, which is legitimately spectacular)

FC (Sky 1) and CS1 are both much better opening games, for different reasons.

FC is very clearly a single chapter of a story rather than a prologue. Most Falcom fans have heard the story about how the development team was forced to split Trails in the Sky in half* during development, but the writing really shows it. It's foremost a character story, and you can trace the thruline for Estelle's character from a bratty, country kid to a hero arguing, from a place of experience, for optimism against a hardened cynic (and sadist, and general bastard). The reason I rate FC so low by the way is mostly because the first couple chapters are awful (so bad that I dropped the game twice before playing CS1/2 and then looping back to power through) and the game's generally unpleasant to play for much of the run. The best of FC is really good though - The tension by the final chapter is at a fever pitch and the writing team capitalizes on every opportunity.

With Zero the team began its commitment to storytelling of a greater world and the priority shifted to setting pieces on a board over devoted character stories, and I think they struggled to make a good game on top of that. Especially obvious as a guy who looped back after CS1&2. It's clear for CS1 that Falcom identified allot of the mistakes they made in Zero and address them directly or cleverly sidestep them. I think the Cold Steel sequels are weaker, clearly, and that Azure's a brilliant sequel to Zero, and ironically some of that success/failure in the followups stem from the design choices in the worse/better prequel.

Hades. I beat it two years ago at 16 runs. My save data got corrupted though so I started all over a week ago, beat it again yesterday at 12 runs and i'm now trying to master every weapon. This is probably my favourite roguelike and I want to get as much out of it as possible.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Zero's too on the nose about being a setup game:
You visit tons of mysterious locations with obvious greater purposes but for not particularly interesting reasons at the time.
There are guest characters who seem like they should join up properly with the team for how much work was put into their battle designs who don't (and later do in the sequel).
Some of the villains by necessity need to be weaker to not outshine the sequel's, and the Team Magma/Aqua dynamic & aesthetic of the downtime punks and the actual '20s mafioso design of the... mafia are too simple.
None of the SSS really shine because of how procedural the development feels (each member gets some time to spend with Lloyd to spill their guts and it's all... fine, but I always felt that allot of the beats may have been held back for what's ahead (which was partially true lol - Elie doesn't change beyond chapter 2 of Zero, Randy changes a whole lot in Azure).

(I also don't like how the ending tries closing on a happy note but doesn't address the elephant in the room Lloyd himself brought up in the final confrontation but then never follows up on: If someone was able to steal KeA away from the crazy, secret cult and we don't know who that person is or why they did it, isn't KeA still in danger? Not the biggest fan of the recurring cast writing too but I also don't like Renne in general outside of her Star Door, which is legitimately spectacular)

FC (Sky 1) and CS1 are both much better opening games, for different reasons.

FC is very clearly a single chapter of a story rather than a prologue. Most Falcom fans have heard the story about how the development team was forced to split Trails in the Sky in half* during development, but the writing really shows it. It's foremost a character story, and you can trace the thruline for Estelle's character from a bratty, country kid to a hero arguing, from a place of experience, for optimism against a hardened cynic (and sadist, and general bastard). The reason I rate FC so low by the way is mostly because the first couple chapters are awful (so bad that I dropped the game twice before playing CS1/2 and then looping back to power through) and the game's generally unpleasant to play for much of the run. The best of FC is really good though - The tension by the final chapter is at a fever pitch and the writing team capitalizes on every opportunity.

With Zero the team began its commitment to storytelling of a greater world and the priority shifted to setting pieces on a board over devoted character stories, and I think they struggled to make a good game on top of that. Especially obvious as a guy who looped back after CS1&2. It's clear for CS1 that Falcom identified allot of the mistakes they made in Zero and address them directly or cleverly sidestep them. I think the Cold Steel sequels are weaker, clearly, and that Azure's a brilliant sequel to Zero, and ironically some of that success/failure in the followups stem from the design choices in the worse/better prequel.

Thanks for typing this up, Paltheos Paltheos A very good read!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
  • Gears of War 3: Been going through all of these and it's been a ton of fun. For some reason back in the day I stopped on part 1, but I thought it was great Finished part 2 and it seemed like a clear improvement in most ways. A lot more interesting and gory scenarios. Part 3 doesn't have that but it feels more refined in terms of encounter design, and is probably going to wind up the best of the 3 in terms of gameplay. The Lancer has less kickback in this one, and the ammo drain seems slower so it ends up feeling better than the other 2 games and more accurate. You can tell that by 3rd game they were putting more emphasis on trying to think of unique enemy encounters where now many times you'll be in cover defending a spot but you'll have a door open behind you and have to fight them off with no cover briefly. I just finished the Anvil's Gate siege and it's probably one of the best shooter levels I've ever played in a game, up there with Vanquish. Felt like Helm's Deep. You could really feel the desperation as each gate falls, just fun.
  • Remnant 2: Finished the 1st world and unlocked the Labyrinth. Game seems like it could pretty quickly get too difficult for solo play, but so far I'm hanging in there. I'm just so impressed with this game. I did the side dungeon "The Chimney" and I was just damn impressed. I can see how it's even better with a team shooting the crystals, and people watching the front and back, but I managed to do it all on my own. The art design is top tier and everything is really enjoyable. The aiming feels fantastic. Still ready for a new melee weapon though. The sword is pretty slow and surprisingly has short range.
  • Lego 2K Drive: I don't know how long I'll stick with it but it's pretty fun, and the general scope and feel of the game is impressive. Like Forza H x Sonic Racing Transformed.
  • Hot Wheels 2: One of my favorite arcade racers in a while. The sense of speed is pretty extreme. Recommended.
  • Double Dragon Gaiden: Maxed out all the new DLC characters. The ninja is just so insanely good once you get used to him. And the lost Lee brother is a drunken master, and it's fantastic. They play totally differently from anyone else in the game.

Withering Rooms. A kind of creepy side scrolling 2.5D adventure game. It's absolutely fantastic. It gives me Little Nightmares/Clock Tower/Uninvited vibes mixed with almost a Roguelike game. I think it's on Steam and PSN/Xbox for $25. I absolutely love it so far. Highly recommend checking it out. My favorite game of this year and it's going to be hard to top. I think word of mouth is going to make this a classic down the road. It's really something special and I think it's made by either an extremely small team or one single person which is nuts. Here's the Steam page for it:

Other than that I put a couple hundred hours into Remnant 2. Highly recommend that as well.

Last edited:
Sekiro

Third time giving it a shot. I absolutely love the world and art direction. Also think Senpou Temple is one of From's highest moments.

That bring said, I absolutely hate the main bosses in this game. I do fine with most other things in it but a boss like Genichiro being "learn everything absolutely in and out and perform THREE phases perfectly" just isn't fun for me. I've done the game up to the final boss but quit there every time. Like I said I love playing the levels etc. but I just hit Genichiro again on this playthrough and just the idea of the 3 phase tedium makes me wanna put it down again.

I find the whole concept of taking a breather to back off and then seeing the posture damage bar, and any progress I had made, go back down fucking infuriating and anxiety inducing. Git gud and all that but still hate it even now despite beating him twice before.

Dr. Suchong

CbNWFOH.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Withering Rooms. A kind of creepy side scrolling 2.5D adventure game. It's absolutely fantastic. It gives me Little Nightmares/Clock Tower/Uninvited vibes mixed with almost a Roguelike game. I think it's on Steam and PSN/Xbox for $25. I absolutely love it so far. Highly recommend checking it out. My favorite game of this year and it's going to be hard to top. I think word of mouth is going to make this a classic down the road. It's really something special and I think it's made by either an extremely small team or one single person which is nuts. Here's the Steam page for it:

Other than that I put a couple hundred hours into Remnant 2. Highly recommend that as well.
Wish listed. Looks like it just came out on Xbox a few days ago. Reviews on the store say its Luigi's Mansion x Silent Hill x Dark Souls. I'm pretty interested.

2504.jpg

I just finished this last night. Fantastic game. I only got 98%, though! Not sure what I missed.

I don't know if I will continue the series given that this was the only one blessed by the original designer, if I am not mistaken. I do have Beyond Good & Evil lined up, though.

Wikipedia says "Senior producer Yannis Mallat found The Sands of Time short, so the sequel would be three times longer". Yikes! Sounds like the perfect way to ruin the game.

I'll probably play Pikmin, or maybe finish up Ocarina of Time. I've been filling my day with Pilotwings 64 for now.

Edit: warrior within actually uses tracks from Godsmack? It's sounding worse and worse the more I look into the game.

Last edited:

manlisten

Doing a second Elden Ring run. Already have a character ready for the DLC, but was itching to do a fresh run knowing what i know now about the game.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
still moving slowly in totk. 125 hours so far and i'm up in the sky islands after opening up the waterfall in the east reservoir of zora's domain hopefully i can get this section done in my next couple of sessions. played it tired/autopilot mode today lol gotdam

Finished up hi fi rush. Not gonna lie, after the hype it got and it sitting at high 80s MC, it was pretty disappointing. It's not bad, but I never felt the urge to go back and play it. Kind of had to force myself to. Even after beating, there seems to be some replayability with the arcade, 'secret doors' and some other obstacles that you can't beat in earlier sections until you unlock certain characters but idc to go back to it. It's just a one and done.

However, I did start up Rachet and clank rift apart and that game is fucking awesome. I'm not the biggest R&C fan either but this game has me hooked. The gameplay and movement is really fun, animations are insane. Love how when trying to pull yourself somewhere, you don't pull yourself but instead seemingly pull the map to you. Even just walking through portals is just neat. It's literally two worlds just at the same part of the map. Really unique and still hasn't got old to me yet (think I'm a little past 50% of the game).

Outside of that, I still like to play a couple games of balatro everyday, because that is the game of the generation and is addicting as hell.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Finished Venba today. It was short but good. Last part could be longer and more detailed but good job overall. Emotional.
And I'm playing SMT 5 and Skyward Sword at the same time. SMT gets kinda boring sometimes, it's a little bit grindy, but demon fusing is fun and semi-open world rewards exploration. It's more enjoyable compared to Persona games because you're not doing silly activities at school to strengthen your creature. Skyward Sword is going well, but it's not as magical as TOTK or OOT, at least not in the first 10 hours.

Last edited:

Diddy X

Shadow of Mordor
Cod MW remastered on veteran
Dark Souls 3
Gta V

Just trying to finish them after so long, just finished re 7 on Madhouse btw.

Last edited:

engstra

2504.jpg

I just finished this last night. Fantastic game. I only got 98%, though! Not sure what I missed.

I don't know if I will continue the series given that this was the only one blessed by the original designer, if I am not mistaken. I do have Beyond Good & Evil lined up, though.

Wikipedia says "Senior producer Yannis Mallat found The Sands of Time short, so the sequel would be three times longer". Yikes! Sounds like the perfect way to ruin the game.

I'll probably play Pikmin, or maybe finish up Ocarina of Time. I've been filling my day with Pilotwings 64 for now.

Edit: warrior within actually uses tracks from Godsmack? It's sounding worse and worse the more I look into the game.
Played through the trilogy earlier this year. Warrior Within did some interesting things but is a huge step down from Sands of Time. So combat heavy and light on platforming and environmental puzzles. Although the environments and interconnectedness of them are pretty cool.
Would say though that Two Thrones is a return to form, had a great time with that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Played through the trilogy earlier this year. Warrior Within did some interesting things but is a huge step down from Sands of Time. So combat heavy and light on platforming and environmental puzzles. Although the environments and interconnectedness of them are pretty cool.
Would say though that Two Thrones is a return to form, had a great time with that.
Agree with this. Two Thrones is amazing. Warrior Within was a dud.

drganon

Beat unicorn overlord, so now just one piece Odyssey. Its not a bad game, but I do keep getting distracted by others.

Blindy

Just finished Chapter 8 of Fuga: Melodies of Steel 2. Easy recommend if you at all liked the 1st one, it's the perfect game to shed 1-2 chapters a night on. Anything more would drive you to the walls as the combat gets extremely repetitive(Not sure what else can be done to fix this) and not much in the form of enemy variation(They introduce a brand new enemy that is basically a more evasive/rare version of an enemy that will escape after a few turns but can reward you handsomely if you succeed in killing it, think Persona series). Besides that, it's just such a well crafted SRPG and it has an easy to follow story which is appreciated. It feels like a cartoon you'd see on Cartoon Network or something, yet the game still does get somewhat dark in nature. Few new gimmicks that open the game up as well.

I wish I played this last year, think barring a collapse in the final 1/3, this would be a top 5 lock for me, arguably top 3 GOTY for me. Such an underrated series, so glad I got in on this last August with the 1st one before it got pulled from Game Pass. Doing the same with Fuga 2 since it came out Day 1 on the subscription last May. Due to this, I don't want to chance it and be on the hook to bum rush through the game in 1-2 weeks.
Finished Fuga 2 last night, just as good as the 1st one. Even the additional Qualities of Life additions like the ability to use a airship service to go back to path choices to get more EXP/treasure/health or SP regain spots to better prepare yourself for the end of chapter bosses is such a good feature. There's a neutrality system of empathy vs resolution that is kinda cool given you get unique features per each choice you make. While it doesn't really impact your story too much, there are endings tied to this if you go extreme in one of the choices(Picking pure empathy gives you a different ending vs doing it neutral or picking resolution). It's no InFamous good vs evil or anything but still something cool to add flavor to the story. I preferred the enemies/main antagonist of the 1st one as it's a more consistent threat from start to finish(Won't spoil why) but outside of that, the sequel just does everything better than the 1st one, as you'd expect. The soul cannon returns which again is OP attack that can kill all enemies but it comes at the cost of a permadeath of chosen character you sacrifice which ruins your true ending opportunities and ruins the morale of your team members for a given time.

What is new in Fuga 2 is the Monorail attack which is this game's soul cannon ability only it knocks out(Rather than kill) the chosen member who uses it and your entire party won't get experience for the fight that it's used in. Given your member cannot join again until end of the chapter if they're KO'd, you're gonna want to stay away from this attack and use only in emergency. What adds to the stakes of each boss fight at the end of the chapter is if you hit below a certain HP threshold, your new A.I. who guides you throughout Fuga 2 will decide to not take any risk, to give you a 20 move ultimatum to finish the fight or else the randomly chosen teammate is used as the soul cannon to finish the job. This is rough as it's 20 moves not turns so you have 20 plays you can make to finish the fight or else you lose a member via permadeath. This was frustrating for me at first until I saw you can lose an ability point(You get 20 AP per intermission much like in Fuga 1) to ease up with the threshold where instead of 50% down it's like 25% health left before the A.I. goes rogue and goes emergency mode. It adds to the decision making and makes it a point to heal and not be in the position to be forced to use the soul cannon or have it thrown upon you.

It's still a game that you are best to play it in spurts, like 1-2 chapters a day since it does get repetitive with the combat and can be very same-sy. However, much like with Fuga 1, there's no real way to avoid that. Yes, enemy variation could be a bit better here as the enemies feel very similar to not only what you fight throughout Fuga 2 but it even feels like it rips off enemy design/combat choices from the 1st game. The only unique regular enemies in this one are the rare enemies that you have a certain amount of turns to kill in a spoils go to the victor sort of way. They are tougher to hit(High evasion) and again you have a set amount of time to get them or else they escape but you get good rewards to help sell off to get more currency to improve your workbases etc.

Had I played this last year, this is fighting with Sea of Stars for my 3rd favorite game of last year, that's how much I love this series. It feels like a cartoon you'd see on Cartoon Network or something, yet the game still does get somewhat dark in nature. Few new gimmicks that open the game up as well. Easy recommend to play if you at all liked the 1st one as it continues the story and gives you more of what you liked about the 1st game. Fact that there is a teaser for a 3rd game is awesome considering I don't think either game sold well as it's a very obscure series. I would be so down to play this game for a 3rd entry for sure. Effortless 30 hours put into this one.

adamsapple

I finished Ys VIII, but couldn't get into IX - the city environment felt too bland and the characters were not as fun/engaging (also VIII story is pretty good)
Yeah, from what I've seen, it does feel like a downgrade compared to VIII's island-trotting adventure.

Finished Resident Evil 2 and 3 Remake 100% after 90 and 25 hours respectively. Fantastic games, although 3 felt like DLC. Fun, but barebones.

Now starting Mass Effect 2 on PC with a whole bunch of mods (ALOT+ MEUITM2 + ALOT videos + BLUR models). Game looks pretty damn good that way, considering its age.

I played the trilogy on 360 back in the day, but only a few of the DLCs, so this ia a nice way to revisit it.

Mass Effect 1 held up really well for me, despite some flaws, and I'm really missing some of its RPG elements in 2, but 2 has amazing characters and variety to somewhat make up for that.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Finished RE3 Remake yesterday as well. Love the game but can't help but think that something went wrong with the development of the game.

Anyway, will probably just continue playing Elden Ring a bit for the moment and read a book or two. Just arrived at Farum Azula and my progress has stalled as often every enemy feels like a boss now. Game takes no pity on you. Damn...

Alan Wake

Finished Alone in the Dark. A pleasant experience and a solid 7/10 game for me. The ending was abrupt and didn't really knot the story together like I had wished for, but I really liked the variety in environments, the atmosphere, the puzzles and the mystery up until the very end. The combat was a weak point, though. Best AitD since 1992? Probably.

Crayon

I just played a little gun griffon. Damn I wished I had played this back in the day. I would have loved it.

It's fun enough, in it's own right. But my gaming memories are extremely clear and it's always a lot of fun to review a game by the standards of the time.

I haven't seen much but I'm a little concerned about the strength of dashing. It seems like it shouldn't be so easy to land shots while dashing, or turn perhaps. This might be mitigated on some missions. The sense of scale and distance is great. The super busy in-game hud does heavy lifting with the immersion. Every bit is useful and it makes you feel like you are doing something complicated lol. You're not.

adamsapple

Getting The Legend of Nayuta: Boundless Trails shipped via gamefly to play something before Stellar Blade comes out. Never played it before but based on what I've seen, some people liken it to a Trails game with Ys combat, which is an interesting combo to say the least.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Unicorn Overlord failed at keeping my interest. Those first few missions in Cornia are way too easy and I've grown bored soon. Will give it another chance in the future, game seems cool enough and I might just not be in the mood for a SRPG.

Considering what I could play next, maybe Dragon Quest VIII since I never played that one and many people say it's one of the best DQ games.

Superkid93

Neo Member
Im 7 hours into Days Gone and my feelings are mixed.

Looks great, gameplay is fun enough, but this story is just not gripping me. I find myself cringing a ton at some of the lines of dialogue.
Also when the hell will I actually get to fight a horde? the main selling point of the game if i remember correctly.

I'll stick with it but man my initial impressions are that there is a ton of potential here that Bend failed to execute on.

Superkid93

Neo Member
Im 7 hours into Days Gone and my feelings are mixed.

Looks great, gameplay is fun enough, but this story is just not gripping me. I find myself cringing a ton at some of the lines of dialogue.
Also when the hell will I actually get to fight a horde? the main selling point of the game if i remember correctly.

I'll stick with it but man my initial impressions are that there is a ton of potential here that Bend failed to execute on.
Deacon out.

Hestar69

Final Fantasy 6. Trying to beat it for the first time think I'm more than halfway now? Enjoying it so far but I was stupid and put 4x xp on and supposedly it makes enemies harder lol

Top Bottom