• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Im 7 hours into Days Gone and my feelings are mixed.

Looks great, gameplay is fun enough, but this story is just not gripping me. I find myself cringing a ton at some of the lines of dialogue.
Also when the hell will I actually get to fight a horde? the main selling point of the game if i remember correctly.

I'll stick with it but man my initial impressions are that there is a ton of potential here that Bend failed to execute on.
I actually really liked the game but dropped it once I started fighting hordes. I just didn't find it fun retrying several times hoping I'd get through. I know that's probably unfair but I really didn't like that part of it to be honest.

Zheph

I actually really liked the game but dropped it once I started fighting hordes. I just didn't find it fun retrying several times hoping I'd get through. I know that's probably unfair but I really didn't like that part of it to be honest.
Oh really? I feel like it's big selling point but fair enough

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Played some Ys IX and man .. what an instant downgrade from Ys VIII.

The big single city looks dull and drab, the companion cast is worse, the combat is way too much button mashey.

What a fucking downgrade.

Duchess

No Man's Sky.

I want to try out that new story that was recently added, but discovered I need to finish the main story first. New save on PS5, so I'm just getting to the end of that.

Little Mac

High Five Hell Yeah GIF by PlayStation

Any folks here played Ys IX ?

Better / worse than VIII in your opinions?
If you enjoyed VIII, you will enjoy IX. It’s the same formula, just mostly inside a city.

It’s similar enough to be familiar, but different enough to be intriguing.

IMHO, if you are asking for opinions on whether to play a game or not, you are already inclined to give up on it. I suggest just getting the game and enjoying it. It’s cheap. I bought the PS4 disc for half price.

(PS: PS4 version runs at full 4K/60 on a PS5)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you enjoyed VIII, you will enjoy IX. It’s the same formula, just mostly inside a city.

It’s similar enough to be familiar, but different enough to be intriguing.

IMHO, if you are asking for opinions on whether to play a game or not, you are already inclined to give up on it. I suggest just getting the game and enjoying it. It’s cheap. I bought the PS4 disc for half price.

(PS: PS4 version runs at full 4K/60 on a PS5)

Yes, playing it via PS+ Extra right now. Getting into it but so far it seems a bit worse than VIII to me.

Ayo the Clown on PS4 -- on sale for $6.99 on US PSN. Cute 3D sidescrolling platformer. When you reach a checkpoint you get pied in the face!

I'm a couple of hours in. I don't think the game is very long but the stages are taking 10-15 mins or more so far.

I needed something a lot easier after making the DKC Tropical Freeze credits roll. It was pretty stressful to play. I'll slowly go after the last two worlds some day... maybe.

Crayon

Playing Metal Slug on a Saturn. It seems perfect. In fact, I'd have to see them side by side, but it might run better than on a Neo Geo. Maybe I don't remember how the original game runs.

I've never played a ton of metal slug, so it's mostly new to me. Anything I've played was a long time ago. It's a masterpiece, of course. This version has a mode where you can pick levels to speed run. Just completing these linearly is an interesting substitute for the arcade mode. I try a level several times to finish it 3 lives, don't bother with the time of the run, then go to the next level and run that till I win. It reorganizes the game into something with savable progress.

Diddy X

This week I finished gta V, MW remastered on veteran and Re 7 on madhouse.

Now playing Shadow of Mordor and Just Cause 4

All this on PC.

Last edited:

Stratostar

Finished Dead Space 2 (PC). Funny that I was finishing it up during the week of the DS2Remake rumor mill debacle.
As a first time player, I can safely say it most definitely doesn't need a remake. It holds up visually, has many improvements over the original Dead Space game, it controls well, runs well, and has excellent sound design and voice acting. If you were holding out for a remake, don't. One of the best sequels I've ever played and unquestionably better than the original game in many ways. Action horror at its finest.

Last night I started up Pacific Drive on PS5 and I'm gonna say stay away from this one for now, at least on console.
I love the premise and concept, but there's no sugarcoating it: it runs like ass. The game runs with an unlimited framerate by default that fluctuates wildly and is often around or below 30. They added an option to cap it at 30 which feels even worse since it's not even close to a stable 30. It's a first-person driving game so it's extra nauseating. I also encountered a gamebreaking bug in the (very long) tutorial that meant I had to start all over. To top it all off the devs are apparently not even considering adding a performance mode, despite the innumerous requests and complaints online from their paying customers. It's mind-boggling because everyone knows the PS5 could run this game with its Fortnite-ass graphics at 1080p/60 EASILY. Hoping they change their tune eventually from the backlash but I fear it's because they actually do suck so hard at optimization for a single console platform that they can't even do it. Bummer.

Last edited:
Resident Evil 3 Remake again on Nightmare difficulty and it just dawned on me that the final boss battle intended for the player to use the slowmotion aim assisted critical shots that follow a successful dodge. :eek:
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Bounced off of the Mortuaries Assistant pretty quickly. I didn't even get to any scary bits beyond a random "your going to die" stinger but futzing around with corpses isn't my idea of a good time. lol

I did three playthroughs of DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Re:Incarnation last night and today.

And I booted up Tetris 99 for the first time in a long time. On my third game:

GLFWVzcaAAAaAgb

Stuck on the last level of Ayo the Clown. I even collected enough jewels to get an extra heart of health.

*hangs head in shame*

Also. Playing You Suck at Parking on Steam Deck. The difficulty spikes pretty fast on this one. It's a buck on Fanatical I think.

Finished control on gamepass , was very meh
Great combat but it just didn't clicked with me so much Grey colour's and it just finished out of no where
I honestly don't see why it was goty and had so much praise a 7 out of 10 for me.

IAmRei

Playing dragons dogma 2 and totk now, but when i was away from consoles, i have gta 5 in my laptop, with mod to strolling around, enjoying the ride, and sometimes goes to sub urban roads. Good thing is i have bike who is also i owned in the real life. And thats good thing for me.

P649eNs.jpg

iwSne7j.jpg

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished Ato. Totally blown away by this game. Never heard anyone ever speak of this game. Just tried the demo last year during an ID@Xbox digital demo event. Made basically by 1 person.

Rating it a 9.5 / 10. Its a masterpiece. One of the best indies I've ever played. Top tier platforming. Top tier combat and bosses. The fights are incredible with nearly perfect balancing. Couldn't put the game down. Story is super minimal but also really well done.

A must play for any action or Metroidvania fans. Its fantastic.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
While I've had it since launch, I finally got around to playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'm only into Chapter 2 and while the story seems interesting enough, I'm not sure what to think about the combat. It's that in-between menu based and real time that a lot of MMOs employ. One thing is for sure, I don't really like the pace of it so far but it is early. Character models and monsters designs are also not my cup of tea. The environments are very nice though.

Hoddi

I've been on an old school bender recently playing the Greek God of War games and The Order 1886 and some others. It's been very refreshing going through these old games because they really didn't hold back like nowadays. I'm currently going through the Dead Space remake and stumbled on this old ad and it really makes me miss those kinds of games.

Kings Field

finished my run through as of Dragons Dogma 2 on Xbox and ps5.

I just started The Witcher 3 tonight on PS5 for the first time. I love had the complete edition for a while and the PS5 upgrade looks nice. So far enjoying it.

violence

I've been on an old school bender recently playing the Greek God of War games and The Order 1886 and some others. It's been very refreshing going through these old games because they really didn't hold back like nowadays. I'm currently going through the Dead Space remake and stumbled on this old ad and it really makes me miss those kinds of games.

Speaking of dead space I just beat Dead Space 3 + Awaken DLC earlier today. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. I don’t think I played it since the year of release. The Matt McMuscles video on dead space 3 really bummed me out. It sounded like they had good ideas, but the game was EA’ed. It would be hard for me to keep my passion if I was a developer.

After that, I went back to an old play through of Arkham Knight. My current computer now pretty much runs the game at 4K/90 other than hitching during Batmobile. It’s really crazy how good this game looks. They straight up made a game from the future using unreal engine 3.

Also Auto-HDR looks great on these 2 games.

Last edited:

belmarduk

Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion.

Never played the original 7 but I've got to get my fix because it will be a while before the third part of FF7 remake comes out.

Crayon

I just played the ff7r dlc. It was nice and I picked up rebirth while I was out today.

I was all about rebirth day one but work got fucking insane and it's not over yet. I want a nice cozy time to sink into that. Maybe a day or two off.

Roberts

Finished and 1000/1000 Botany Manor in what felt like 4 hours or so. Super chill and visually pleasing puzzle game where you play a Victorian era lady running around her manor and figuring out a way to plant new flowers. If you read every note you find, puzzles are relatively easy but I had to look up a guide to get the last two achievements.

Meanwhile enjoying Solar Ash a lot but I think I really need to find more free time to really get into it.

Roberts

Oh, forgot that I tried to play Amnesia: Rebirth and gave up halfway through. I can enjoy an occasional walking sim but this one was just a dull slog with overly melodramatic writing and not a lot of redeeming qualities. I'm starting to think these Amnesia games are not really meant for me.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished and 1000/1000 Botany Manor in what felt like 4 hours or so. Super chill and visually pleasing puzzle game where you play a Victorian era lady running around her manor and figuring out a way to plant new flowers. If you read every note you find, puzzles are relatively easy but I had to look up a guide to get the last two achievements.

Meanwhile enjoying Solar Ash a lot but I think I really need to find more free time to really get into it.
I'm about halfway through Botany Manor as well. Some of the puzzles are pretty clever. I just feel like I need a full hour when I start that up since there's limited notes in the journal. Want all the hints fresh in my mind until I get to completion. Will hopefully finish that and Gears 3 soon (On chapter 5-3). Then jumping into Harold Halibut.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Gungrave Gore: This has been a side game, that I finally just blew through so I could uninstall it. Not a bad looking game, and it gave some arcade-like shooting vibes. Other than that it’s just mindless with cheesy characters.

Deadlight: Dusted this oldie off from my backlog, and finished it. Some pretty good platforming segments, but the controls didn’t always feel responsive enough for some of the moves they expected you to pull off.

Oneechanbara Origin: Another side game I’ve slowly been making my way through. I can only take a level or two before losing interest. Not a knock against the game though, as it’s better than I expected.

Warhammer Boltgun: Same deal here. I’ll do a level or two and I’m done. Odd because this game does everything right.

Still searching for a “main game” to play.

Started Chorus last night which seems promising, and I reinstalled Fallout 4.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Dragon Quest VIII on the PS2.

Lovely game, it has all the comfy adventuring with short stories and charming characters typical of those games.

It also looks very nice on the PS2, has some neat lighting effects, and the orchestrated soundtrack is a treat.

Podge

Neo Member
Here is my current rotation. I play in my free time, but like to keep my sessions shorter. I guess I am the one guy in the world who read the “take a break meow and then” disclaimer at the beginning of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate haha.

Switch: TotK, Persona 5 Royal
PS5: Gran Turismo 7
Series S: MLB The Show 24
Retro: Xenosaga Episode I, Chrono Trigger, NCAA Football 07

Zheph

Struggling to rebound after Rebirth but I am trying to complete my FF difficulty mode in FFXVI in prep for Rising Tides
Cleaning up DD2 but I don't think I have much left to do
Still playing some Balatro
Will pick up Stellar Blade before Rise of the Ronin

I usually always play a retro jrpg at the same time so I might look into that soonish

Now back to Destiny 2 😭
Looks like Bungie is going all-in. I won't jump back but regular players should be pleased with Final Shape

Killjoy-NL

Helldivers 2 and Predecessor.

Really missed playing Paragon. They nailed the feel, imo.

Still have to figure out how to make custom builds, I think the item shop is a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

Superkid93

Neo Member
Still chipping away at Days Gone.
Im 7 hours into Days Gone and my feelings are mixed.

Looks great, gameplay is fun enough, but this story is just not gripping me. I find myself cringing a ton at some of the lines of dialogue.
Also when the hell will I actually get to fight a horde? the main selling point of the game if i remember correctly.

I'll stick with it but man my initial impressions are that there is a ton of potential here that Bend failed to execute on.

I'm still chipping away at Days Gone. 13 hours in now. Its growing on me a bit but the story and dialogue are still so cringe...
The crafting is starting to feel pointless as well. The only thing keeping me engaged at this point is the bike upgrading...

Roberts

I'm about halfway through Botany Manor as well. Some of the puzzles are pretty clever. I just feel like I need a full hour when I start that up since there's limited notes in the journal. Want all the hints fresh in my mind until I get to completion. Will hopefully finish that and Gears 3 soon (On chapter 5-3). Then jumping into Harold Halibut.
Yeah, I know what you mean. That is why I tried to finish a chapter in a single playthrough so that I don't forget stuff. That said, I wrote down a few quick notes and reminders for my future self in case if I had to stop playing in the middle of a chapter.

Blindy

Few years late to the party but yeah Ender Lillies: Quietus of the Knights is so friggin' good. Such a good Metroidvania that borrows elements of Soulsbourne games(Respawning of enemies after this game's bench rest point which is similar to Hollow Knight). Figure I can sneak this one in before Stellar Blade comes in the end of the month and with the Ender's sequel coming this year. The soundtrack of Ender Lillies is top notch, the graphics are beautiful drawn, the gameplay is simple to get into but gives you so many option with the different choices of relics to use, movement gets better as you progress, it's just a simple & good Metroidvania. I knew I would like this game given the biggest comparison this game got is Salt & Sanctuary which I played a few years ago and enjoyed myself very much on.

Also playing Bustafellows, just got into Chapter 2 of this 1st route. I like the cast of characters and cohesion amongst themselves, still very early into this visual novel though. I have a feeling the "otome" label aka play as a girl and get to date guys sort of does a disservice to everything else that the game has.

GymWolf

Shelfed dogma 2, i'm gonna wait for a challenge balance patch and some optimization on pc, the game feel undercooked as shit for now.

So it's just the occasional match at helldivers 2 to farm some currency and i started a new run on castlevania sotn, i'm trying to find all the secret stuff i didn't find in my previous run, yesterday i discovered the demon familiar, in the past i always only had the devil one.

The game is still an incredible masterpiece even today.

Last edited:
I started a new run on castlevania sotn, i'm trying to find all the secret stuff i didn't find in my previous run, yesterday i discovered the demon familiar, in the past i always only had the devil one.

The game is still an incredible masterpiece even today.
The familiars feel a bit undercooked outside of the Fairy assist. The level design, boss weaknesses, and shield rod implementation are top of the class for sure though.

P.S. I am contemplating a Richter run after I get 100% of stuff with Alucard.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Dragon’s Dogma 2. It’s starting to wear out it’s welcome. That or I’m just feeling the itch to play something else for a while. I feel like jumping back to my Quest 3 for a while.

I’m starting to notice that I don’t beat most games I play anymore. Some are just either too long, or I find myself getting distracted for the majority of the time, and when I’m finally ready to tackle main quest stuff, I’ve lost interest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom