• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Game/Genre would you like PlayStation Studios to tackle?

What Industry defining/leading games should PlayStation Studios tackle and which studio should do it

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’m honestly just anxious to hear what Sonys lesser talked about studios are doing at this point. Like yeah, we know Naughty Dog, Guerrilla, Insomniac, Suckerpunch, Santa Monica are gonna do their big AAA action games but what is Pixelopus, Media Molecule, Bluepoint, Firesprite ,Team Asobi, Housemarque, etc. doing?

I’m kind of tired of seeing Pixelopus and Bend still use Concrete Genie and Days Gone in their marketing. They both released games in 2019, its 2023 almost…whats going on?

A lot of these studios feel dormant. If it weren’t for people rummaging through job listings we wouldn’t even know they still existed. I’m still shocked we saw mention of the London Studios game. Another studio that has been MIA almost an entire console generation.

Definitely feels like Sony skipped a big showcase or something

Celcius

°Temp. member
Another astrobot game is about the only thing I can think of. I don't really trust them to make an RPG and Gran Turismo already has racing covered.

Give me an Astrobot games where you jump from one playstation game world to another like kingdom hearts

Plot a big villainous game virus is hacking your ps5 and corrupting game worlds, and its up to Astro bot along with help from his many friends (kratos and atreus, Aloy, Cloud, Gran Turismo car, etc) to fight them off and save playstation platform-gaming as we know it

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
One of the options that I would like isn't up there but thankfully it's already basically confirmed that we're getting a new survival horror game and it's coming from Firesprite

skit_data

Sci-fi FPS sounds interesting but I don’t equate the genre with Halo.
How about FPS-adventure. You know, whatever Metroid Prime was called by Nintendo without it ever sticking around as a genre for some odd reason.

Sci-Fi FPS Adventure. Yeah that sounds about right.

If it's anything, it'd be a concept that can be translated into film to coincide with their media production side. Personally, I think Sony should spend time in the building genre - minecraft, etc.

Or just make a 3d little big planet.

I’m dreading the day when sony announce an FPS title.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Give me an Astrobot games where you jump from one playstation game world to another like kingdom hearts

Plot a big villainous game virus is hacking your ps5 and corrupting game worlds, and its up to Astro bot along with help from his many friends (kratos and atreus, Aloy, Cloud, Gran Turismo car, etc) to fight them off and save playstation platform-gaming as we know it
I hope you're not thinking of a villain character name Philnochio Spencerio. 😛

Jokes apart, this is such an excellent idea. Portals powered by the PS5 SSD 🔥 They already have "Astro models" of Joel, Ellie, Kratos, Atreus, Aloy, Cloud, Ratchet, etc. It'd be super cool and extremely fun to jump to Astrobot midgard and fight alongside and Astrobot Jormagandur and Kratos to fight evil.

I hope you're not thinking of a villain character name Philnochio Spencerio. 😛

Jokes apart, this is such an excellent idea. Portals powered by the PS5 SSD 🔥 They already have "Astro models" of Joel, Ellie, Kratos, Atreus, Aloy, Cloud, Ratchet, etc. It'd be super cool and extremely fun to jump to Astrobot midgard and fight alongside and Astrobot Jormagandur and Kratos to fight evil.

Let us prepare for Ragnabot

51406612981_7f6f333139_b.jpg

Ivan

New Colony Wars would be a great showcase game and it wouldn't even be that expensive to make compared to some other genres.

I'd like the best looking platformer, but with completely different tone to anything in the industry. Something that's not aimed at kids only as a concept.

Third person action game that has NOTHING to do with today's standards. Something that would feel fresh and revolutionary like Tomb Raider in 96 or something.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
elder scrolls/western rpg

sony should try to buy out TODD HOWARD from bethesda , under playstation studios the results will be legendary

dcpsd24-7a764c7b-ecae-48c8-b4c8-de01e9160051.gif

The moment they will make anything non cinematic, you will see Naughty Dog magic fade away.

You can't have it all, for every extra detail they put in animations, they need to take processing power away from somewhere else.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Anything that isn’t a slow ass over the shoulder movie game with nice graphics and excessive dialogue.

I’d like them to make a competitive game, either a fighter or shooter. Because that’s what they lack.

supernova8

Banned
Basically two things:
1) Buy/license the Metal Gear Solid IP and give it (back) to Kojima.
2) Pull Kaz Yamauchi off Gran Turismo. They take too long to make their damn games. I really wonder how long it will be before we actually get a proper PS5-exclusive GT game that isn't just a re-hash of GT7 (which itself is a rehash of GT Sport but with all the modes it should have had in the first place). Plus can we finally get proper car damage and associated physics? Hilarious that they dare to call it "the real driving simulator" not even close.
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

Last edited:
* give GT to Firesprite and do also a Driveclub GT arcade spinoff
* and force Polyphony to make Wipeout 2038 (or whatever year is canon for the first year of flying F1 cars) but anything else other than GT

#Call of Juarez VR by Naughty Dog + *Western MP
*Gothic by SSM
#*Mafia, from prohibition to Vietnam era, by Sucker Punch
*Warzone by Guerilla (realistic MP shooter WW1 to now)
*KillzoneXResistance by Bungie (futuristic fantasy MP looter shooter)
#Warhammer 40k first person VR by Bluepoint
*Mirrors Edge VR by Insomniac
Limbo/Inside by suddenly depressed Media Molecule
*Official FIFA Football by Studio San Diego
*Musicstar VR by Pixelopus and Team Asobi (Singstar + DJ & Guitar Hero + drums + some other instruments, whatever works with the VR controllers)
Nekroalien VR by Housemarque (FPS, crossover of Dead Nation and Alienation)
Anno1701XSpellforce by Bend
*Assassin's game with Hitman mechanics, specific targets and no bloat, missions all over the world, VR, by Studio London

*... GaaS, MTX, season pass, NFT infested
# cinematic

Third Party work:
*Astrobot/Sackboy themed PS Allstars Kart Racer and Smash Bros and Splatoon clones contracted to Sumo Digital, creative support by Asobi and MM
Astrobot/Sackboy JnR by TeamMeat
Metroidvania simply called Kratos by TeamCherry
Diablo lite like God of War by Supergiant Games
Nathan Drake addon to Superhot by Team Superhot

If you don’t want open world you can try some of Sonys lesser known games like TLOU2, GoW Ragnarok, Gran Turismo 7, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, sackboy and Demons souls,
Heh, my mistake. Didn’t mean to say “Sony first party” in the last sentence. I meant open world in general for the entire industry. Accidentally left that in. Typing on a phone lol. I actually have all those games except Sackboy, but I guess I’m hoping for more of those type of experiences going forward even though open world in general seems more popular in the industry.

Last edited:

Robbinhood

Banned
Heh, my mistake. Didn’t mean to say “Sony first party” in the last sentence. I meant open world in general for the entire industry. Accidentally left that in. Typing on a phone lol. I actually have all those games except Sackboy, but I guess I’m hoping for more of those type of experiences going forward even though open world in general seems more popular in the industry.
Ah understood! Yeah I MUCH prefer linear/wide linear games to open world my self. I know certain games like Elden Ring are built around that and it works there but otherwise the game will always be better if restricted in land size imo.

honestly it's not so much the type of game/genre that bothers me. it's that they are making games in genres i like but i just don't think the games are all that great. i'm not saying they make bad games before someone comes for me but they just aren't anything terribly exciting.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I voted other because especially with the VR push, it’s long past time for a new Colony Wars. I doubt Jim or Herman have ever heard of it though.

Last edited:

Fredrik

3D Metroidvania.
Just let Housemarque make a proper Metroid clone and I guarantee they would do better than Retro Studios.

Last edited:

FingerBang

I really miss Sony's FPS. Say whatever you want, but Killzone, Resistence and MAG were a lot of fun.

Also, a more traditional RPG would be cool, though I get they already get enough from their third party partners.

Not quite sure where Warhawk for ps3 fits in terms of genre, but a true sequel (Starhawk doesn’t count) is needed.

This is the perfect opportunity for the franchise that would work well in the current landscape of free to play that Sony is aiming to compete in.

A third person arcade shooter that includes massive battles on land and air in a massive environment.
Imagine that gameplay in modern graphics. It would look incredible flying through real time clouds with HDR.

Bizukah

Neo Member
MMORPG.
an MMO with the quality and production values of Playstation's studios would do gangbusters,.. you'd probably have to pay 60 dollars a month to keep the servers running, though :messenger_tongue:
I remember playing Free Realms :messenger_pensive: Not playstation but Sony. If that kind of game was made with the Playstation Studios (and yknow, maybe on PC too...) My inner and outer child would both start crying

GladiusFrog

Undisputed is coming and it’s awesome. Played early access on steam. Huge fan of FNC, Undisputed is a true next gem boxing title.
I've been keeping my eye on it, Looks promising but I see problems with the locomotion, footwork and how the punches are thrown. I hope these issues are addressed before the final release.

Fight Night Champion is a tough act to follow, It got so many things right.

Ah understood! Yeah I MUCH prefer linear/wide linear games to open world my self. I know certain games like Elden Ring are built around that and it works there but otherwise the game will always be better if restricted in land size imo.
Agreed. I actually do like open world games like Elden Ring, GTA and Witcher 3, but I just don’t want more linear games to become an afterthought because it seems like many are chasing after the “open world” trend nowadays.

Crayon

Somebody to try some Bethesda style first person open world thing. I understand some of you call them RPGs lol..

People make fun of their stuff for being all buggy and taking too long, but you got to look at the fax and no one else is really trying that. I guess I'd like anyone to try, but I'm sure Sony would do better than EA or Ubi or whoever.

Fbh

I'd definitely like to see them make a proper RPG.
Not a cinematic action adventure game with RPG elements like God of War but an actual Witcher or Elder Scrolls type RPG, although not necessarily in a traditional medieval fantasy setting
A JRPG would be awesome too but they have no Japanese first party studio that could make one

I'd like a Sony space combat VR game. Something like Eve Valkyrie, descent, chorvs - mix.
We haven't really got an AAA robust single player space combat VR game. Eve isn't enough.

Top Bottom