• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games made you cry?

Kadayi

Banned
The Walking Dead Season 1 You kind of know what's coming with the end of episode 4, but it's still a gut punch at the end. RIP Lee

Life is Strange Pretty emotional all the way through tbh. The first playthrough I lost Kate because I was a lousy friend, stupidly let Victoria die in the dark room but at least managed to salvage something by saving the town at least ....... :( RIP Chloe Price

What remains of Edith Finch Gregory's Death , that fucked up something fierce ............. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Also bonus: -

x5kqb6o1t7x21.jpg

^Me fighting Sif in Dark Souls when he does all wounded Doggo during the fight 'I didn't ask for this Miyazaki, I didn't ask for this!!!'

I may have missed the boat on FFX, I picked up Jax and Daxter instead, why did it make you cry? I remember people talking about the laughing scene, but not about the dramatic moments.

Quasicat

I always tear up at the ending of Kingdom Hearts but the big one for me was Journey on PS3.

The game starts with you seeing a light in the distance. You then spend the next two hours traveling towards that light, struggling to survive on the mountain and ultimately ascending to heaven (ok...that’s my interpretation of the game)

About the time this game came out, my dad was diagnosed with stage III stomach cancer. After his surgery, he was in a coma for a couple of weeks. I spent so much time taking care of him and Mom, and our newborn, that I just needed a break. I bought Journey on a whim and played through the whole thing in one sitting. Once I got to the end, I was crying the most I had ever before. It has been almost 10 years since that time, and I have not played it since. I am just not sure if it would have the same impact on me that it did at that time. Also, in case you’re wondering, my dad is alive and has been in remission for the past seven years!

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
BOTW when Link came out from his mancave.

Also when the Champions appears after boss fight, and Kass. I think it's the music that gets me.

Last edited:

Romulus

I never cried but the closest was playing Astrobot psvr. I'm not even a fan of the genre but it gave me the exact "holy shit" moment I experienced as a kid playing the N64. It just felt so long since I felt like gaming truly leaped forward and it was great to experience it.

I dont usually get emotional about games, because Im too busy focusing on the gameplay.
The Bloody Baron quest in the Witcher 3 made me feel bad for some of the characters though.

JLB

Banned
Ori & The Blind Forest (almost all character deaths, the arch-antagonist's flashback).

Castlevania Lords of Shadow (Gabriel saved by Marie against the vampire child, pre-end credits scene)

Shadow of the Colossus (the horse's death, ending)

Layers of Fear (end scene)

Resident Evil Code Veronica (Steve's death)

Grandia II (Mareg's Death, Mileena's sacrifice)

Xenogears (Karen's death, ending)

Jeez man, use the spoiler tag

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No tears. Except when my allergies fuck me over. Does getting so pissed off your eyes start to water count? If so ME3.

Nickolaidas

Seriously man, use some spoiler tags, have some courtesy for others who haven't played those games - I don't think I've ever seen a post with so many massive spoilers for so many games.
Jeez man, use the spoiler tag

Xenogears: released in 1998

Grandia II: released in 2000

Resident Evil Code Veronica: released in 2000

Shadow of the Colossus: released in 2005

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: released in 2010

Layers of Fear: released in 2016

Ori & the Blind Forest: released in 2015

The games which I had heavy spoilers for are 15-20 years old. Ori, the newest one is five years old. So please stop acting as if I've spoiled the ending for the Last of Us 2 or something.

JLB

Banned
Xenogears: released in 1998

Grandia II: released in 2000

Resident Evil Code Veronica: released in 2000

Shadow of the Colossus: released in 2005

Castlevania Lords of Shadow: released in 2010

Layers of Fear: released in 2016

Ori & the Blind Forest: released in 2015

The games which I had heavy spoilers for are 15-20 years old. Ori, the newest one is five years old. So please stop acting as if I've spoiled the ending for the Last of Us 2 or something.

So? I havent played many of those games. Why not to use the spoiler tag if its right there and its free?

Nickolaidas

So? I havent played many of those games. Why not to use the spoiler tag if its right there and its free?
Should I also put a spoiler tag in the ending of Casablanca?

Edit: sigh, fine, I put spoiler tags. And don't worry - 20 years later when you end up playing those games (which you probably won't), you won't remember the spoilers at all.

Last edited:

Bwesh

Replaying Xenogears. I cry every time because I can't skip text prompts. Not a student anymore so I don't have 40 mins just for story dispositions.

FF VI. It was my first true journey on a videogame where I felt part of the cast, and beating the shit out of Kefka was emotional to me. Also seeing Terra be finally free was refreshing. What a fucking game!

Gun Animal

A lot of games make me cry... MGS4 left me dehydrated. The biggest surprise tear-jerker recently was DMCV: Nero's memories of regret, his appeal to family, and his sheer will acting as a wrench in the gears of the story's existing moral arc really impacted me. I wasn't expecting much besides cuhrayzee nonsense, but by the end it had an almost Hayao-Miyazaki-like tone.

I had a tear in my eye when I first sawSuper Mario Galaxy, Child of Eden and Rez Infinite VR mode but one game made me cry. The Last Guardian ending. I'm a sucker for animals and it made me weep. I'm not ashamed.

Last edited:

Garnox

Never cried, but some games that definitely tugged on the heart strings.

Mass Effect Trilogy
FF X
Gears of War 2

Airola

Only two games:

1) Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
Apparently I got the perfect ending for my emotions as I later checked out the other endings and the one I got was the best for my taste.
It's the one where Harry takes a few steps back from Cheryl, says "forget me" and turns into ice.
That one still gets me every time I watch it on Youtube. The piano melody makes it sadder. I don't care for most video game stories but this is absolutely the best. It's heavily symbolic and lets you understand the connection between the ending and what you have just played without really telling anything straight to you.

My second one is quite a weird pick:

2) Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure
In one of the boss battles Wiki (the monkey thing) is trapped in ice or something like that. Every time you fail, he becomes weaker. If you fail too many times, he will say "I feel so sleepy... Thank you for everything, Zack..." and dies.
Here's a video of it (it's the first shown there):

There's something very haunting in Wiki's voice right before he dies. Took me completely off guard and made me tear up. This shouldn't be something that does that but it did and it still does.

OH!
Third pick!
I just remembered one more:

3) The Blackwell Epiphany
I played all games in the Blackwell series quite recently. The last of them had something in the end that made me a bit teary. Not even nearly as much as in my previous two picks but managed to get something out of me. I think for it to have that effect you probably have to play all episodes. I did and got teary.

MadYarpen

Hmm what I remember is The Witcher 3
Finding Ciri on that island
, and probably the last of us at some point.

I admit I got soft after my son was born.

Chronos24

Life is Strange 2 end of 2nd episode. SPOILER ALERT--_---(I'm on mobile I don't know how to hide it) where depending on the choices I made the little boy gets hit by the car because he thinks he's a super hero. That was because if ME and I felt terrible about it especially if you played Captain Spirit you know what this boy has been through. I shed a year, went back and changed my choices just so he wouldn't get hit. Only game I ever did that I couldn't let it happen to him.

Last edited:

Naibel

Silent Hill 2 broke me to pieces when I first played it. The last hour is one of the most emotional and gut-wrenching moments I've ever experienced in a video-game. I've never thought a survival-horror this dark and violent would also be this poignant.

"You see it too ? For me, it's always been like this..."

And of course, Mary's letter. The last line, man... "James... You made me happy." I just couldn't sleep the night after, I was this shattered.

The fact that I got the In Water ending, only made matters worse. Such a tragic way to end a game.

Other contenders are Persona 3, Nier and Nier:Automata, Mother 3, SOTC, The Last Guardian, Panzer Dragoon Saga and surprisingly enough... Super Paper Mario ! Easily the saddest and darkest (also for whatever reason the funniest and most satirical) Mario game ever made.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Life is Strange

1*BXlaKgwb1w4p6LwoX-kIrg.png

Will never be able to hear Spanish Sahara by Foals without thinking of this game.
I still to this day can't understand for the life of me the appeal of Chloe.
She was a criminal, a petty child who wouldn't stop bitching about stupid shit, and refused to accept responsibility for her actions.
And people were willing to sacrifice an entire town full of innocent people just to save this annoying cunt.
When the game gave me the option to kill her off, I couldn't have clicked on the option any faster.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Should I also put a spoiler tag in the ending of Casablanca?

Edit: sigh, fine, I put spoiler tags. And don't worry - 20 years later when you end up playing those games (which you probably won't), you won't remember the spoilers at all.

Haha, i wont argue that. Thanks :)
Btw, i didt watch casablanca... so please dont do it

I don’t recall if I ever cried while I was playing a game, but I remember crying after I finished BioShock Infinite a few hours later.

Top Bottom