• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games will be nominated for GOTY at The Game Awards?

Choose up to 6

• A Plague Tale: Requiem

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Bayonetta 3

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Dying Light 2

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • God of War Ragnarök

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • Gran Turismo 7

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Horizon Forbidden West

Votes: 47 48.5%
  • CoD: Modern Warfare 2

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Neon White

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Pentiment

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Pokemon Legend: Arceus

• Pokemon Scarlet/Violet

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Return to Monkey Island

• Somerville

• Splatoon 3

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Stray

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Sifu

Votes: 10 10.3%
  • Tunic

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • Tinykin

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Vampire Survivors

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • The Last of Us Part 1

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Overwatch 2

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So yeah, I think 3 of the total 6 nomination are obvious; Elden Ring, GoW Ragnarök and Horizon Forbidden West. I’ll still include them in the poll for completeness sake. But what about the other 3? This is not about what games you want there, but about what games you realistically think will be nominated.

The nominations will be revealed around the middle of november. The cut off date is 18 nov, so Callisto Protocol is not eligible this year. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet releases that same date so I’m not certain about them but I’ll include it.

Jennings

So yeah, I think 3 of the total 6 nomination are obvious; Elden Ring, GoW Ragnarök and Horizon Forbidden West. I’ll still include them in the poll for completeness sake. But what about the other 3? This is not about what games you want there, but about what games you realistically think will be nominated.

The nominations will be revealed around the middle of november. The cut off date is 18 nov, so Callisto Protocol is not eligible this year. Pokemon Scarlet/Violet releases that same date so I’m not certain about them but I’ll include it.
Elden Ring

I haven't played God of War 2 or Horizon Firbidden West, but I've heard good things and I'm sure they'll be mentioned quite a bit.

I know graphics tend to be weighed heavier than gameplay in too many areas for Bayonetta 3 to have a shot, but it's a wonderful game with excellent gameplay.

Overwatch 2 and Diablo Immortal might show up in a F2P GotY contest.

Last edited:

geary

I am curious of which of the indie/AA will be nominated. Outside of Sifu and Stray there were also other with a chance to be nominated.

SJRB

Gold Member
Aside from the obvious two I'd put my money on Vampire Survivors and Plague Tale.

fermcr

Don't much care for Souls games, but GOTY will likely go to Elden Ring or God of War.
Would surprise me if Bayonetta 3 won.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Kinda difficult outside of Elden Ring and GoWR. Maybe Bayonetta 3, Horizon FW, Xenoblade 3 and CoD.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There is a slight chance Bayonetta 3 might get nominated but no way in hell it will win. It has sexy characters designs and Bayonetta is straight, it goes against VGA’s “image”.

supernova8

Banned
Keighley will find a way to award Kojima GOTY (geezer of the year).
hideo kojima industry icon GIF by The Game Awards

Where is Rollerdrome ?

Voted Monkey island , GT7, Bayo3, ER , stray and Ragnarok.
Loved Forbidden West but not enough choices.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Last year's winner....

YFmzILE.jpg

Lol a clear outlier and undeniable amount of universal praise, also I wasn't specifically talking about TGAs, but look at the previous years winners/most nominations/awards.
Destiny, dark souls 2, dragon age, her story (lol), MGS5, Witcher 3, uncharted 4, overwatch, hellblade, HZD, destiny 2, BOTW, RDR2, God of war, death stranding, sekiro, tlou2.
If it's not some narrative driven game, it's whatever tentpole released that year; something like inscryption, or vampire survivors haven't an inkling of a chance of actually winning GOTY at whatever these shows think they are.
Imagine taking these entirely self-congratulatory circle jerks they call "awards" seriously

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lol a clear outlier and undeniable amount of universal praise, also I wasn't specifically talking about TGAs, but look at the previous years winners/most nominations/awards.
Destiny, dark souls 2, dragon age, her story (lol), MGS5, Witcher 3, uncharted 4, overwatch, hellblade, HZD, destiny 2, BOTW, RDR2, God of war, death stranding, sekiro, tlou2.
If it's not some narrative driven game, it's whatever tentpole released that year; something like inscryption, or vampire survivors haven't an inkling of a chance of actually winning GOTY at whatever these shows think they are.
Imagine taking these entirely self-congratulatory circle jerks they call "awards" seriously
Keighley has also managed to get 2 of his personal friends GOTY awards: Death Stranding and It Takes Two. The whole thing is a joke. But that's just my opinion on it. Some people enjoy it, and I'm sure I'll skim the announcements after it's done.

Rykan

Maybe Geoff will have the balls to nominate xenoblade 3. Instead of snubbing the best JRPG series, give it some exposure.
Xenoblade is so far removed from being the best JRPG series that it's not even funny. Unless there is a category for "Most overrated game of the year", the words "Xenoblade" and "GOTY" should never be used in the same sentence.

Hum...Dragon Age: Inquisition won. Overwatch won. It Takes Two won. Breath of the Wild won.

From the past 8 years, nearly half of the winners weren't cinematic games but okay.

Sekiro too! These guys are chatting shit! Usually the best game of the year wins. There's no bias towards anything. They are imagining it.

Kiraly

Elden Ring (GOTY)
God of War Ragnarök
Horizon Forbidden West
Bayonetta 3
Pentiment
Immortality / Neon White / Vampire Survivors

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Probably the most popular games, which aren't necessarily the best games.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Lol at the conspiracies about the awards.

"This game isn't going to win because X"

Or maybe because the game simply isn't that good?

Oh No Wow GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Just_one

A Plague Tale : Requiem
Elden Ring
God Of War : Ragnarok
Horizon Forbidden West
Stray

What i think will win : Elden Ring or Ragnarok
What i think it SHOULD win : Horizon Forbidden West or A Plague Tale : Requiem

Gobjuduck

Banned
There is hardly any merit to the GOTY award. It’s just an industry marketing event. Usually the best game that year doesn’t win.

Overwatch beating doom 2016
DA Inquisition beating bayonetta 2
GoW beating read dead redemption 2
It takes two beating RE8

God of War 2 will probably beat Elden Ring, just for the sole reason of it being more linear, cinematic and easier to beat.

Chukhopops

I hope Dying Light 2 gets a bit of recognition. It was completely erased from memory due to Elden Ring but it’s a great, ambitious and innovative game that fulfills most of its initial promises.

Also Tunic, Weird West, Immortality should hopefully get something in the indie category.

NickFire

Not much love for COD in those votes. You guys really think a game with those week 1 sales numbers won't get nominated? That sounds crazy to me.

Not much love for COD in those votes. You guys really think a game with those week 1 sales numbers won't get nominated? That sounds crazy to me.
There’s a formula for how to win these awards and CoD has too many strikes against it there no matter how good it is.

Mozzarella

Didn't we have the same thread few days ago?

1- God of War Ragnarok
2- Elden Ring
3- Xenoblade Chronicles 3
4- Bayonetta 3
5- Stray
6- Horizon Forbidden West

Winner: Elden Ring
Most Nominations: God of War Ragnarok

Top Bottom