• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming did you miss in your childhood?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I grew up in a very small country. We had Sega and Sony but no Nintendo. But even there, you could buy burned ps1 games and consoles everywhere, but memory cards and second controllers were just not to be had. And a Nintendo console was more of a myth.

That's why I missed Nintendo completely. I have no connection to Mario and Zelda or Metroid at all. I've caught up with most of the games now and find some of them very good, but I think it's a shame that I missed out when I was a kid. I own a Switch, Wii U and Wii but they have no special meaning for me.

What games did you miss in your childhood or as a teenager?

Banned
as a kid I never saw a Master Sytsem in person, even tho everyone always talks about how Europe was Sega's realm at that time.
I didn't even see a single Master System game in any store, NES was everywhere tho.

I think Germany back then was way different than other European countries, because the Master System was a very elusive system when I was a kid...
granted by that time the SNES and Mega Drive were already out, but still... it was weird how rarely the Master System was seen back then compared to the ever present NES

the first Master System I've ever seen in person was one on a flea market in around 1999 I think. some guy sold his console with all his games. it was a Master System 1.

so as a kid I never played a single master system game... even now the only ones I played were the Sonic games, and I didn't even finish one of them.

that console doesn't really interest me either tbh, looks like most of the games on it are either terrible arcade ports or really low quality western games.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
as a kid I never saw a Master Sytsem in person, even tho everyone always talks about how Europe was Sega's realm at that time.
I didn't even see a single Master System game in any store, NES was everywhere tho.

I think Germany back then was way different than other European countries, because the Master System was a very elusive system when I was a kid...
granted by that time the SNES and Mega Drive were already out, but still... it was weird how rarely the Master System was seen back then compared to the ever present NES

the first Master System I've ever seen in person was one on a flea market in around 1999 I think. some guy sold his console with all his games. it was a Master System 1.

so as a kid I never played a single master system game... even now the only ones I played were the Sonic games, and I didn't even finish one of them.

that console doesn't really interest me either tbh, looks like most of the games on it are either terrible arcade ports or really low quality western games.
The funny thing is that I moved from Estonia to Germany and it was suddenly like being in a big candy store where everything that has to do with gaming is available.

Hundreds of Ps1 games hundreds of N64 games. The whole shelves full and you do not know where to look first.
However, I have never seen Sega Master System1, only its successors.

Last edited:

Neff

Happy to say nothing worth mentioning. I grew up with the console/arcade industry more or less as it began and our household always had Nintendo/Sega/PlayStation covered from the NES/Master System/PSone onwards.

Last edited:

Banned
The funny thing is that I moved from Estonia to Germany and it was suddenly like being in a big candy store where everything that has to do with gaming is available.

Hundreds of Ps1 games hundreds of N64 games. The whole shelves full and you do not know where to look first.
However, I have never seen Sega Master System1, only its successors.

yeah during the PS1 era, 1 system was mostly missing too tho.
the Saturn...
that was also a system I only saw in person years after it was relevant.
not a single store I ever went to as a kid had even a single Saturn or Saturn game. nothing.

the first Saturn I saw in person was when an EB Games closed down in Karlsruhe, and they had a bunch of old stock for sale, among those was a Saturn with I think 4 games or so.

neither the console nor the games were available in any Globus, Mediamarkt, Karstadt or Kaufhof I've ever been to as a kid in the 90s.
Maybe Prinz in Mannheim had them, but I'm not sure... if a store had the Saturn it would have been Prinz tho, that store was often the place to be if you wanted harder to find stuff.

in hindsight of course it makes sense, tha Saturn only sold like 1 million systems across all of europe, which is less than the Dreamcast...

winjer

Gold Member
Here in Portugal, Nintendo had a very small presence, during the 90's and early 2000's.
So things like the NES, SNS and N64 were relatively rare. The Gameboy was still big.
So almost everyone had Sega and Playstation consoles.
In my case, I had never played a Nintendo console until a few years ago, when I bought a Switch.

RAIDEN1

8-bit and 16 bit gaming, in the 16 bit days, I was an Amiga man, thought it was as good as anything out there.....not until I saw f-zero and Streetfighter 2 did I feel envious of the 16 bit crew....and then by the time the Amiga did get a port of the all-conquering fighter....well....we all know how THAT went!

Majormaxxx

I missed the mega drive.

I had a 386 pc but a year or two after I got it, it got too slow for the new games.

My class mates upgraded their pcs every year.

I felt like it was too much and quit for 5-6 years.

Top Bottom