• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What have you just bought?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
2019 Acura NSX. Dream car perfect daily driver for a sports car. Insanely fast due to awd hybrid design. I didn’t think it would but it gets an absurd amount of attention
RP0RP1S.jpg
0Jqwai8.jpg
isn't that like 200k? ಠ﹏ಠ

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I was a huge movie buff in my teens & early 20s but fell off of it for some reason. I don't know why, but lately I have been craving a true cinematic experience like the first time I watched a Kubrick flick. Dennis Villenueve is a name I've seen floated around that is reminiscent of my favorite directors (Kubrick, Sorcesese, Coppala, Nolan, etc.) . I mentioned this in the GAF Discord server and got a few recs .

I bought the digital version of the movie Sicario. It's $5 on Apple right now & was easily worth the asking price.
iu

I also rented Arrival and the movie blew me away. I think it might be my favorite movie of all time but I would need to rewatch Interstellar to see how I feel about it in a true comparison.
iu

Based on my feelings for these 2 flicks, I will probably scour through Villenueve's work. His shots, framing, pacing, everything is just perfect. The tension in his long holds is just *chef kiss*. There is so much life in his shots.

Arrival nails everything perfectly on the head for me. The plot is quite unique--and a tour of perfectly executed writing. I am not super well versed on Sci-fi themes & tropes despite it being a favorite movie genre of mine so maybe this is old hat for others. I love that linguistics plays such a heavy role. And any movie that competently explores time as a central theme or plot device is immediately going to skyrocket on my personal list (Hence my love for Nolan's work).

Polytechnique will be my watch tonight. The movie looks incredibly grim and bold. But if Villenueve's craft is as honed in that movie as it was in Arrival, I am confident the material will be tactful.

I'll double feature Prisonsers tonight, based on the recs from Discord. I know nothing going in, which should make for a great watching experience.

dr_octagon

Banned
Arrival nails everything perfectly on the head for me. The plot is quite unique--and a tour of perfectly executed writing. I am not super well versed on Sci-fi themes & tropes despite it being a favorite movie genre of mine so maybe this is old hat for others. I love that linguistics plays such a heavy role. And any movie that competently explores time as a central theme or plot device is immediately going to skyrocket on my personal list (Hence my love for Nolan's work).
Without spoiling, any director who can reference linguistic theories along with the other elements without sounding contrived or lots of exposition is a genius. It is not dumbed down and drives the story, I was floored after leaving the cinema.

Interstellar is fantastic and I don't think it's a direct comparison because there are different focuses. There are definitely similarities but Arrival feels a lot more personal all the way throughout and really stuck with me a lot longer.

So I previously posted an Asiair Pro, which is a computer used for astrophotography that allows me to do everything from my phone. Then I posted a small refractor I picked up.

Now I picked up this, an eqm-35 pro mount.

eqm-35-pro_1024x.jpg

Fully computerized. Using the Asiair Pro app I can punch in an object or coordinates and it'll go right to it and track accordingly. With guiding I've managed to get 10 minute exposures with it. Haven't pushed farther than that, I wonder how long it could go? I needed something light weight as I need to pack it up and take it to places to image a lot of the time.

Previously I was using the Star Adventurer 2i, which is a fantastic piece of kit.

sky_watcher_s20512_star_adventurer_pro_pack_1604032.jpg

I was seriously pushing the weight limits and the tracking accuracy was suffering. I just wanted some more efficiency with my data gathering.

So here is what my final setup is (for now, no doubt I'll keep going down the rabbit hole eventually)...

20210830-211615.jpg

And here is the first image I took with this new setup, M31, more commonly known as the Andrkmeda galaxy. It's 926 two minute exposures, around 28hrs worth of total data. I'm still very new to the post processing side so I'll probably revisit the data later and see if I can pull any more detail out.

IMG-20210923-202709.jpg

So I previously posted an Asiair Pro, which is a computer used for astrophotography that allows me to do everything from my phone. Then I posted a small refractor I picked up.

eqm-35-pro_1024x.jpg

Fully computerized. Using the Asiair Pro app I can punch in an object or coordinates and it'll go right to it and track accordingly. With guiding I've managed to get 10 minute exposures with it. Haven't pushed farther than that, I wonder how long it could go? I needed something light weight as I need to pack it up and take it to places to image a lot of the time.

Previously I was using the Star Adventurer 2i, which is a fantastic piece of kit.

I was seriously pushing the weight limits and the tracking accuracy was suffering. I just wanted some more efficiency with my data gathering.

So here is what my final setup is (for now, no doubt I'll keep going down the rabbit hole eventually)...

20210830-211615.jpg

And here is the first image I took with this new setup, M31, more commonly known as the Andrkmeda galaxy. It's 926 two minute exposures, around 28hrs worth of total data. I'm still very new to the post processing side so I'll probably revisit the data later and see if I can pull any more detail out.

IMG-20210923-202709.jpg
That's great

plushyp

eqm-35-pro_1024x.jpg

20210830-211615.jpg

IMG-20210923-202709.jpg
I appreciate the explanation because I know next to nothing about the subject.

I appreciate the explanation because I know next to nothing about the subject.

To be honest, three or four months ago so did I. I knew nothing about mounts and arc seconds and dslr's and post processing etc etc. Let's just say it's been a frustrating yet wildly satisfying (when everything falls into place) journey. I feel like I'm in a nice groove now with the equipment I have.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

eqm-35-pro_1024x.jpg

20210830-211615.jpg

IMG-20210923-202709.jpg
That’s a fantastic picture. Good job.

Tschumi

Bought my girl some new specs, they're by Kent, and they've got a nice retro styling.. they're risky though because they've got transparent frames and black, like, arms, which i think will look awesome on her because she's got really pale skin and dark eyebrows, and jet black hair, but which might be a non starter with her lol...

See if i can't find an image..

You know what I'm having trouble finding them. The combination of transparent frames and black arms seems to be unusual. Ahh well not like it matters.

how early did you get there?
They started handing out tickets at 730. I was there at 7. Granted I got stupid lucky (and I actually turned around and almost left when I saw the line). There were about 200 people in line in front of me. They only had 3060ti aib tickets left when they got to me. I and 3 people behind me got the last ones. The line to check out was huge, 200+ so I decided to leave and come back at ten to check out. When I did, I asked if there were any unclaimed tickets. They had a 3070ti left and a few other 3060's. They let me have the 3070. Anyone who showed up at open could have had an EVGA 3060ti without waiting. They had 2 or 3 left. I imagine they're the ones that people were trying to sell their tickets for. I think some people only intended to sell tickets and had no intention of buying the card.

TLDR: if you show up a few minutes early chances are you might get an AIB card. Don't expect to get a founders edition.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

I picked it up when it released last night.

Last edited:

lem0n

I finally got one of these fucking things. Scalpers can suck my balls. Sony Direct to the rescue!

Edit: the pic wont load but its a PS5 lolol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Grabbed this at Costco today. Cant wait.

b1c1b8_1f7b306ce7c8494ba98d56d12182cd46-mv2.jpg
Let down.

These sausages are that processed rubbery kind of meat. I pressed my fork into one piece to cut it in half and the fork was bouncing off it like a gummi bear. Think if it like eating a shitty breakfast sandwich at a fast food joint kind of texture.

Last edited:
nothing too exciting but cause i moved house i bought a few things. my last amazon purchases:

1. a 15m ethernet cable - my old house the modem was in a cupboard under the stairs and a 20m ethernet cable ran up the stairs to my bedroom where my router was and i had 2m ethernet connected to my PC. now the modem is in the livingroom so i've ran my old 20m cable along the walls out into the hall where my router is and instead of the 2m i needed a longer cable to run up the stairs and along the wall into my bedroom. i probably could've got away with a 10m cable but didn't feel confident. anyway the extra length will help if i move the room about.

2. a bicycle cover. in the old house i had a storage area i could keep the bike in. when i moved into this house the bike was sitting in the hall and it was getting in the way so put it out in the garden. not only keeps it dry but people won't immediately know it's a bike. i don't think anyone will steal it (it's locked up to the fence) but whatever.

3. an umbrella. never been an umbrella person but now i'll be walking to/from work instead of driving i thought i should invest in an umbrella.

catvonpee

I cancelled my PS5 pre-order so that I could afford these two shirts. I felt gutted to do so. But I feel like these Iron Heart shirts are once in a lifetime and the PS5 can be gotten again with a little help from Wario64.
xHq7nNu.jpg

20211004-104546.jpg

20211004-104647.jpg

Both of the shirts were $700 together and they sold out almost instantly. I was lucky to even be able to get my size. I do not regret my decision.

Shelbutt

Bought it because I'm going to school soon and I just wanted a good laptop (My old one was cheap and quickly was outdated, doesn't even have enough RAM to properly run it's own OS *facepalm*)

I love it tbh

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
That is a nice looking remote. Do you know if it works on a PS4?

Sorry for the late reply, I do not know.

This was my most recent major purchase, few weeks back now I guess:

I got about $650 off thanks to nearly every business in my area having some kinds of discounts for employees of my employer (healthcare). I also ended up getting it for free thanks to some kind of weird mixup between BestBuy and my credit card bank. I am really impressed with Dell's complete support package. It feels a lot like buying an Apple product in that respect (everything tied to your account, pretty hasslefree all around). It has a deluge of ports and despite not having water cooling it runs remarkably cool even when cranking demanding games.

I mean, free high-end Alienware PC. Who wouldn't be ecstatic?

Edit:

I also picked this up to go along with it, which unfortunately I was charged for xD

It's OK. A step up from my old cheap-o Bose PC speakers. The spatial sound seems to work OK, the built-in subwoofer is a little weak.

Last edited:

lachesis

Finally bought a couple chairs (Herman Miller Aeron - one for my home workstation area, and one for my child's study desk).

I have been sitting on a nearly 20yr old office-depot cheap chair, which the cushion went out and I was getting severe back pain + butt pain.
I had been contemplating buying a better chair since before the pandemic - but being a cheap bastard, I've been procrastinating to buy them.

It's from one of those "used" site - looks like local Jewish owned one - it took quite some time to get here due to a lot of Jewish holidays past few weeks + pandemic, but finally came a couple days ago.
Now I regret not buying them any sooner - as I'm not sure how long this hybrid work situation will last - but I think I will be good with this chair for a long time to come. So very nice. No more back pain, no butt pain.

5qQWIq0.jpg

And as I celebrated my 48th birthday few days ago - I bought bunch of other little things (actually more of a impulse stress-buy, as I've been working so much)
- mostly some upkeep items like new batteries for 3DS and Dual Shock 3s but also bought this little guy - Game & Watch Super Mario.

kb4zSaB.jpg

I don't really have a clock that's in my line of sight when I play games - so what happened is I kept checking my phone, or had to go out to the main menu to keep track of time - and often realizing games that I like to play - a real time suckers like JRPGs - I was getting less sleep than I should have. It's connected with 180 degree USB-C cable - with a little acrylic stand, so it's perpetually in clock mode w/o turning off.

When the Zelda one comes out, I plan to replace it with Zelda Game & Watch, and move this guy down to the basement where I put my old machines - as I don't have a clock down there either.

And finally, an AeroPress Coffee maker.

elzdvcd.jpg

On a recent thread about Nespresso D Durask (Much Thanks!) mentioned about AeroPress. I've been using Moka Pot for quite some time, and now I prefer Aero Press after just few days of use.
So much easier to clean, and the coffee isn't as "harsh" as Moka Pot... although it seems to use a lot more bean than Moka Pot - but will see how much more coffee I go thru with this in a couple of weeks. Even so - the easy cleaning and quick prep, really seems like one of the best budget way to get good coffee.

Last edited:
qEG3ARB.jpg

got a Galaxy Watch 4. it's a good fitness smart watch that looks and feels like a proper watch. really impressed with it so far.

I could not resist. We snorkel a fair bit in warmer months and when on holidays (more when Covid things get back to normal). Now I/we can get underwater (up to 10 minutes at a time) without having to go full scuba. Awesome days at the beach or boating inbound. Kids will have a ball.

Cyberpunkd

Bought a cordless drill / screwdriver after being annoyed and asking friends each time I needed it around the house for 30 seconds tops.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Bought a cordless drill / screwdriver after being annoyed and asking friends each time I needed it around the house for 30 seconds tops.

I bought an expensive cordless drill with a bunch of drill bits or whatever for the same reason. That was in 2018, I've used it twice. :/ But hey, at least I'll always have it.

I could not resist. We snorkel a fair bit in warmer months and when on holidays (more when Covid things get back to normal). Now I/we can get underwater (up to 10 minutes at a time) without having to go full scuba. Awesome days at the beach or boating inbound. Kids will have a ball.

4PJaR2H.jpg

Do you work for them lol

Top Bottom