• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if everyone got paid the same

bitbydeath

Say, now that everybody gets paid the same in this magical world wouldn't it be harder to get the job you want/enjoy?

Same as today, no change.

Are there enough people in the world who are passionate about being janitors or whose passion is taking orders at McDonald's? This view is unrealistic.

Same as today, they’d even benefit with more money.

I already posted that the vast majority of people, 85% world wide, don't enjoy their jobs. That isn't just menial jobs thats the overwhelming majority of jobs. Why would those people keep the jobs they have when they could be less stressed and get the same rewards.

You don’t get the same rewards in a job you don’t like.

Why don’t they like their jobs? Probably can’t afford to study for the actual job they want. This would fix that too.

Last edited:

Moneal

Same as today, they’d even benefit with more money.

You don’t get the same rewards in a job you don’t like.

Why don’t they like their jobs? Probably can’t afford to study for the actual job they want. This would fix that too.

Its not just the unskilled jobs. Its 85% of the workers. It goes all the way up and down. The reward isn't liking your job. People want something tangible, at least to them. In the previous era that was social status. A lawyer, doctor, or professor were almost considered royalty, and even rubbed elbows with royalty. Before that period the reward was survival. People grew their own food or starved. Now the reward is what you can buy. Unless we revert back to one of those previous rewards, and people aren't going back to either i believe, or created another one, people aren't going to stress themselves out for the same reward as everyone else in a lower stress job, unless they were extremely passionate for the work. Most people just aren't that passionate, even in careers they like.

KonradLaw

It would kill economy and progress. Nobody would have any real motivation to improve or work hard. What's more..to make it sustainable the pay everyone gets would have to be pretty damn low. So bassicaly life in poverty and misery.
We've already tried this idea with communism. The party used to say "the cleaning lady has the same stomache as professor, so she should be paid the same". It lead to diseaster economically and rot of soul

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Doesn’t matter if you were a McDonalds employee, bank manager, rock star, president etc

What if everyone took home the exact same salary as long as they contributed to 7 hours a day in society. People aren’t seeking to be cleaners because of how lucrative it is. People actually enjoy it. Same for other tough jobs such as painting, scientist or teaching.

I could see housing becoming affordable, people will be seeking jobs for passion and not money. We may even have more money leftover for funding projects that help everyone.

What’s everyone else think?

Is called the USSR. You can see how well that worked out.

How about we go back to serfdom and a feudal society. And a study just came out not to long ago saying peasants back then had even more vacation and free time then people today!

Doesn’t matter if you were a McDonalds employee, bank manager, rock star, president etc

What if everyone took home the exact same salary as long as they contributed to 7 hours a day in society.

Then every single person would take wimpy and lame jobs like McDonalds and no one would take difficult and important jobs like being a scientist or inventor or anything like that. Why spend all this money on your education, and spend all this time improving your craft for years and years and take on these really challenging jobs in difficult industries where standards are tough and stress is high when you can just mop floors for 8 hours while smoking a bowl on your break time and make the same as a rocket scientist? This is also why this nonsense of having a nationwide $15/hr minimum wage would fail miserably...all other industries would have to raise their salaries to draw people to them and it'd end up in the same situation. Regardless of the very few people go-getters who would pursue these jobs just because they love them or because they want fame, skilled jobs would simply go unfilled.

Also, people as a whole would be even dumber than they are now since there'd be no need for college and high school dropout rates would skyrocket since getting an education would be largely pointless.

Oh, and you forget about getting scientific breakthroughs and curing diseases and stuff. Heck, why would someone even work in a hospital, deal with those long hours, or be a surgeon if the pay was so shitty?

In a nutshell, it'd be bad. Very bad. There's a reason why Utopian societies don't exist. They're fantasy.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

I don't know what la la land you live in but you have a seriously weak grip on reality.

Jobs are a finite resource. Desirable jobs even more so. Given the choice, people will choose low stress, easy jobs. These are rare enough as is let alone if you get paid the same to do it as a hard dirty high stress job.

These jobs that people would want also have little to no study requirements. That's why they are so easy, so low stress would be so desirable.

-Minsc-

Some thoughts.

Stress = more pay.
- jobs like doctors where it's long hours and the life patient is in your hands is stressful.
- working a minimum wage job and being a single parent raising three kids is stressful.
- trying to support ones video game habit is stressful.

Value, perceived and actual.

- there is no such thing as actual, only perceived.
- I could say a person who is passionate and working their dream job should be paid less than the one who hates their job.

bitbydeath

Then every single person would take wimpy and lame jobs like McDonalds and no one would take difficult and important jobs like being a scientist or inventor or anything like that. Why spend all this money on your education, and spend all this time improving your craft for years and years and take on these really challenging jobs in difficult industries where standards are tough and stress is high when you can just mop floors for 8 hours while smoking a bowl on your break time and make the same as a rocket scientist? This is also why this nonsense of having a nationwide $15/hr minimum wage would fail miserably...all other industries would have to raise their salaries to draw people to them and it'd end up in the same situation. Regardless of the very few people go-getters who would pursue these jobs just because they love them or because they want fame, skilled jobs would simply go unfilled.

Also, people as a whole would be even dumber than they are now since there'd be no need for college and high school dropout rates would skyrocket since getting an education would be largely pointless.

Oh, and you forget about getting scientific breakthroughs and curing diseases and stuff. Heck, why would someone even work in a hospital, deal with those long hours, or be a surgeon if the pay was so shitty?

In a nutshell, it'd be bad. Very bad. There's a reason why Utopian societies don't exist. They're fantasy.

Wouldn't there be only so many of those positions available? They can't just create positions that don't exist.

I don't know what la la land you live in but you have a seriously weak grip on reality.

Jobs are a finite resource. Desirable jobs even more so. Given the choice, people will choose low stress, easy jobs. These are rare enough as is let alone if you get paid the same to do it as a hard dirty high stress job.

These jobs that people would want also have little to no study requirements. That's why they are so easy, so low stress would be so desirable.

Nah, I disagree.
Maybe some will who have no drive in life, but I like to think many would go for jobs that provide challenges, I know I would and do.

Last edited:

Future

Wouldn't there be only so many of those positions available? They can't just create positions that don't exist.

Nah, I disagree.
Maybe some will who have no drive in life, but I like to think many would go for jobs that provide challenges, I know I would and do.

Even now there are plenty of people that do a lot of work for free. But IMO reality is that once life itself gets difficult (health, marriage, kids, mortgage, school for kids, failing parent health, etc) people would gravitate to the easiest stress free job that requires he least work. And the only thing that really prevents it is the pay differences

JordanN

Banned
PS4 would cost $99,999 dollars and the only game you could play would have 8-bit graphics and one level.

You can thank Capitalism for the industry being as diverse and affordable as it is today.

I thought it was a good video if we talking about UBI here. He brought up a lot of good points about it. Like how it could replace welfare and reduce bureaucracy. And making it not taxable.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned

But when you hire people you want to hire the most skilled or most efficient, right?

So the very skilled person (A) quits his very stressful and demanding job and applies for packing grocery bags at Safeway.
Since (A) is very very skilled, and also interesting to talk to he gets the job.
Now, (B) which is very unskilled and that would ordinarily have worked packing groceries at Safeway is displaced.
Where should (B) go? (B) is very unskilled and can never take over the job opening for (A)s old job.

(B) will never be able to get a job again?

Or should the state step in and assign jobs to people so that they don't chose wrong?

bitbydeath

But when you hire people you want to hire the most skilled or most efficient, right?

So the very skilled person (A) quits his very stressful and demanding job and applies for packing grocery bags at Safeway.
Since (A) is very very skilled, and also interesting to talk to he gets the job.
Now, (B) which is very unskilled and that would ordinarily have worked packing groceries at Safeway is displaced.
Where should (B) go? (B) is very unskilled and can never take over the job opening for (A)s old job.

(B) will never be able to get a job again?

Or should the state step in and assign jobs to people so that they don't chose wrong?

Does everyone here really want to bag groceries for a living?

Is that really your dream job or are you just taking the piss?

Last edited:

jonnyp

What if everyone took home the exact same salary as long as they contributed to 7 hours a day in society. People aren’t seeking to be cleaners because of how lucrative it is. People actually enjoy it. Same for other tough jobs such as painting, scientist or teaching.

I could see housing becoming affordable, people will be seeking jobs for passion and not money. We may even have more money leftover for funding projects that help everyone.

What’s everyone else think?

I certainly wouldn't have suffered through a master's degree in engineering if I had the same pay as a store clerk. And I think many airline pilots would rather be for example a bus driver and work 9-5 and go home to their families every day. How has this idea worked for Cuba? Not very well.

Cato

Banned
Does everyone here really want to bag groceries for a living?

Is that really your dream job or are you just taking the piss?

No not everyone and every job but some would, possibly many.

I myself have most definitely have held very high-paying jobs that had so much stress, pressure and need to sacrifice significant family and social life that
given the option to pack bags at Safeway for the same salary, I would have switched in a heartbeat.

Assume (A) is well above average in IQ. Normally (A) would become a scientist, engineer, mathematician, ...
(B) is well below average IQ, maybe packing bags is near his/her peak mental limit.

If even a single (A) decides to "I don't want the stress, pressure, deadlines and crunch for nothing" and get (B)s job
society has lost.

(A) easily replaced (B) and does a better job at it even.
(B) will never be able to replace (A) so,
* society has one less scientist
* society has one more unemployed that need welfare.

How can society benefit if this happens?

Last edited:
Top Bottom