• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is considered to be the best Call Of Duty game?

FMX

I played the original COD Modern Warfare and didn't pick up COD again until Black OPS 3. I have been exclusively a Halo and Battlefield player. I see that the older titles are getting popular again and was just curious about what is generally considered the best COD game.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
For the campaign:

cod4-1648511386228.jpg

Holammer

It's one of the MW 1-2-3 or Black Ops 1-2 games. All had strong single player content and MP.
BO2 is my personal favourite multiplayer wise and it had a story campaign with branching paths which is still a pretty rare in games.

It released the same year as CSGO. If it saw the same level of support, we could still have played it and it looked better than CSGO too. They could have pilfered assets from the story mode, weapons, textures etc and kept the game rolling for years with little extra effort.
Eventually this happened, sadly it became COD Mobile.

I don’t play it but these seem to be the most popular:

CoD2
Modern Warfare
Modern Warfare 2
Black Ops
Black Ops 2
Infinite Warfare (campaign only)
Modern Warfare 2019

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Original Modern Warfare 2 of course. That fucking campaign!!!!! (Right after mw1)
personally, I will be me and I have to say, I replayed Ghosts and BO3 campaigns... and they are fucking great... and I hated them on release. What happened. Ghosts goes especially great minus the terrible ending.
BO3 theme is very intriguing and that's the only cod trying to make you think about something.
Infinite warfare campaign is awesome, black ops also.

World at war might be objectively the best of all ww2 campaigns too.
cod2 campaign was awesome at the time but I never replayed it

edit: I've not played any cod after 2017 ww2. Too expensive just for the campaign

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I found my favorite CoD co-op mode in Black Ops Cold War: the Zombie mode.

I've heard that Zombies in Black Ops 3 was good as well, possibly the best, but I haven't played it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
While many of the modern ones are clearly technically better, it feels like the original Wwii COD games had the most wow factor for thier time, at least for me.

Last edited:
Campaign wise it's COD4:MW and Black Ops. Can't choose between the two.

Multiplkayer wise it's MW2. I really want to say COD4 or Black Ops but I feel like COD4 was a little too "barebones" and while I think Black Ops has a certain vibe that can't be beat I enjoyed MW2 more. That being said MW2 is broken but in a way that everything is broken and sort of balances itself out a little.

Plus the Javelin glitch and Akimbo 1887s brought me so much laughter that I will never forget them.

LQX

I still think the first one is the best. I just remember being gobsmacked in awe of that shit. Single player and multiplayer were amazing. Some of the others that came after it were also great but that feeling of playing that first one on PC is just unmatched.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There’s not going to be a single widely accepted answer.

For me personally I’d go Blops 1&2 for multiplayer.

Probably Modern Warfare 1,2, and the more recent Modern Warfare for campaigns.

TexMex

The first Black Ops and nothing comes close. The maps were fantastic, loved the kill streaks. Game felt tight. Plus the days where everyone has a mic and some wild lobbies help.

I really, really enjoy the new Modern Warfare games (2019 and 2022) too. Still play them.

stn

I skipped out on a bunch of them, but CoD 4: Modern Warfare is the best. Very memorable campaign and the multiplayer was nice and simple.

Success

Campaign:

Black Ops 2 - Hands down the best COD story with incredible gameplay. This is the only COD with Baldur's Gate style choose your own adventure.

Black Ops 3 - Best gameplay but terribly convoluted story.

Roufianos

COD 4 - Excellent MP
Waw - Excellent MP
MW2 - Great campaign and GOAT MP
Black Ops - Never liked
MW3 - Crap
Black Ops II - Great
Ghosts - Trash
Advanced Warfare - Great campaign
Black Ops III - Crap
Infinite Warfare - GOAT campaign, crap MP
WW2 - Crap
Modern Warfare - Overhyped campaign, decent MP
Black Ops Cold War - Best MP since MW2
Vanguard - Crap
MW II - Loved the 3rd person mode, for a while at least

That's my memory of each though I played them all very casually after MW2.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Infinite Warfare was/is better than Titanfall 2 campaign, no question....to this day I still have my physical copy and the only one since then (and I've yet to play as it is in the back-log is the Cold War edition)

Nvzman

Campaign wise? Probably CoD4 or Black Ops 1.
Multiplayer wise? Its a direct tie between Modern Warfare 2 (the REAL MW2) and Black Ops 2, as its fun vs balanced.

Modern Warfare 2 is absolutely batshit insane because every gun is beyond broken-feeling (everything kills so quickly, some guns are laser accurate while others have strong recoil but kill in like 2 shots), but it ends up equalizing and every gun ends up feeling equally viable. The maps are all largely great, the killstreaks feels super rewarding to earn, its just a FUN multiplayer because of how ridiculous everything is. It's a complete fluke everything works out. Also playstyles are all equally viable, you could be a maniac sprinting around dual-wielding shotguns, pistols, and smgs and top-frag, or sit in a corner with claymores and one man army and rule the room you camped in.

Black Ops 2, however, is the best designed multiplayer. Everything is deliberately balanced well, unlike MW2, the maps are easily the best in the series, the scorestreak and pick ten system are both equally amazing, the weapons all serve a purpose and there's no real "bad" weapon, its really just a superbly designed multiplayer arcade shooter. Additionally, all playstyles had counter play, even people who would camp in rooms with shock charges + mines could be hard countered with Engineer + Black hats. Unlike MW2 where matches can snowball hard, Black Ops 2 keeps everything very balanced and rewards team play and objective play with the scorestreaks. The only modern CoD game that even came close to this was probably Cold War.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Cold war, it's the best overall package.
Infinite warfare probably has the best campaign, but CW has everything; good campaign, great MP, and a zombies mode that's worth the full price all by itself; black ops 6 is going to be insane.

Banjo64

cumsessed
OG MW2, followed by OG MW. 2 of the best FPS games ever made. Everything else falls short by a distance.

COD4 best campaign
MW2 best OST
Blops1 best zombies
MW2 best spec ops
MW2 best MP maps
Etc…

I don’t know, I don’t think there is a best, it’s subjective. Personally for me MW1, 2 and BO1 are the best.

RyRy93

I loved the OG MW2 more than any of the others, the campaign had a great variety of missions, the MP had some of the best maps in the series and incredibly fun killstreaks and builds (even if they were broken) and trying to be a perfectionist in Spec Ops was a blast with a friend.

Top Bottom