• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the worst physical pain you have experienced?

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I've lately been watching on & off a series on Amazon titled "24 Hours In A&E" which is a documentary about patients being treated for emergencies in the London UK area hospitals.

I discovered there are a lot of people getting strokes. Also folks falling on their heads from great heights 😆

I myself already previously talked about my fight with cancer but there was no pain really.

Except when I was just about done with my booze rehab.
I had this god awful searing pain in my right knee whenever I slightly bent it.

My liver was messed up and borderline on cirrhosis so my legs were already red & puffy.
I think I have a good tolerance with pain but that knee shit was just too much. They had to call an ambulance and I cried when my knee flexed.

I went to hospital and my knee was drained of water.
I used to hear about athletes being out for the same reason and thinking they were pussies but that experience changed my mind.
Totally unexpected.

Now lemme hear your stories about kidney stones, drilling through your hand or giving birth.

Let's share the pain 😁

EDIT: A big THANK YOU to anyone on GAF working in hospitals ❤️

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
The first worst pain that came to mind was when my dad let me skitch on roller blades off the back of our family minivan when I was 10.

We got up to 27mph, then I hit a stick and wiped out. My big brother said my face was hilarious when my (helmeted) head hit the back windshield on the way down. I was wearing knee pads, too, but they shifted, so I had a big old gash on my knee that took weeks to heal.

That hurt pretty bad, but nowhere near what I'm sure some of you all have been through.

Mistake

Kind of a tie between slipping on a frozen wood stair block, and dropping an electric battery on my foot that is used for yard maintenance. When I slipped I needed help off the ground, I hurt my leg pretty good, and my jeans were torn up with blood all over them. Manager at walmart still wanted me to work, so I limbed in like I came out of a zombie movie. Got the day off.

For the battery incident I just wanted to do some weed whacking and was changing the battery out. I don't usually wear sandals but it was hot, and of course that's when I fumbled the thing. My foot swelled up like crazy, and still pained me for a few months afterwards, but nothing broke and it's fine now.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I've lately been watching on & off a series on Amazon titled "24 Hours In A&E" which is a documentary about patients being treated for emergencies in the London UK area hospitals.

I discovered there are a lot of people getting strokes. Also folks falling on their heads from great heights 😆

I myself already previously talked about my fight with cancer but there was no pain really.

Except when I was just about done with my booze rehab.
I had this god awful searing pain in my right knee whenever I slightly bent it.

My liver was messed up and borderline on cirrhosis so my legs were already red & puffy.
I think I have a good tolerance with pain but that knee shit was just too much. They had to call an ambulance and I cried when my knee flexed.

I went to hospital and my knee was drained of water.
I used to hear about athletes being out for the same reason and thinking they were pussies but that experience changed my mind.
Totally unexpected.

Now lemme hear your stories about kidney stones, drilling through your hand or giving birth.

Let's share the pain 😁

EDIT: A big THANK YOU to anyone on GAF working in hospitals ❤️
Thank you Zelphy 😃👋🏻

Winter John

Gold Member
I had to take a girl I was dating to see Alanis Morrisette. I lasted about 20 minutes of that deranged caterwauling bitch before I got out of there. I had a girlfriend who stabbed me. She claimed it was an accident but I clearly recall asking her what breed of moose she was descended from before I woke up in hospital

MackeyHA

Neo Member
I was a fat piece of crap as a child and teenager. I finally got my shit together in college and lost a ton of weight.

I had some loose skin on my stomach and lower back so i had surgery to get it removed. The first 2 nights after the surgery was pure hell on earth.

I also couldn't get comfortable because there was a huge incision that wrapped all the way around my waste as you can imagine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Backache.

Twice the past 6-7 years. Same issue and pain. One happened putting on my underwear, the other waking up from my couch.

Killer back pain when you cant even stand up straight and I had to walk crippled over. Cant even get off a bed. I had to roll off it making a pile of pillows to cushion my fall. I was able to get some back pain pills and cream you slather on. Made zero difference. One of the times I lived in a condo so it was one floor. But the last time is when I live where I am now. A house. So going up and down the stairs is death.

Both times it went away after about 3 days. But it's killer. each time I think what if it's permanent. The worst part is the fear of making it worse if I sit or lie down where I think what if I snap my spine and am a gimp foot for life. But it got better soon after.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Backache.

Twice the past 6-7 years. Same issue and pain. One happened putting on my underwear, the other waking up from my couch.

Killer back pain when you cant even stand up straight and I had to walk crippled over. Cant even get off a bed. I had to roll off it making a pile of pillows to cushion my far. I was able to get some back pain pills and cream you slather on. Made zero difference.

Both times it went away after about 3 days. But it's killer. each time I think what if it's permanent. The worst part is the fear of making it worse if I sit or lie down where I think what if I snap my spine and am a gimp foot for life. But it got better soon after.
If I may- I get this pain a fair bit. Same as my father did when he was younger. He was told by his doctor to stretch his hamstrings and it worked wonders. I do the same and it seems to either keep it at bay, lessen the severity or even completely negate it! One way I stretch my hamstrings is I lie flat on my back on the floor, 1 leg flat on the ground and get 1 of my kids to lift my other leg straight up and push back as far as they can a few times with each leg. Works great!

Good luck with it though as I know the pain. Back pain and me go hand in hand since I was a young child. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy (ok, maybe just a few of my worst enemies)!!!

kunonabi

I've been very fortunate to not have any major injuries. That said, In college I took a judo throw and my foot landed off the mat and hit a hardwood floor giving me a nasty bruised heel which hurt a 1000x more than I ever would have expected it to. I had to keep going to class and I was limping all over campus. It was brutal.

I also threw out my back once and that was the worst night of physical pain in my life. Couldn't sleep and couldn't move.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Last winter I was staying at my parent's house for Christmas. I really wanted to jerk off but didn't have any lube. So I looked around for any creams or lotions I could find.

Found some arthritis cream, so I started jerking off. A couple seconds later I start feeling a burning sensation. I get concerned. Suddenly it's the most intense burning sensation I've ever felt in my life. And it's on my dick and balls.

was horrified. I ran to the bathroom and start taking a cold shower. While showering, I was crying and screaming "What have I done!? What have I done!?" Full on tears streaming down my face.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I was only 10/11 when I had it, bit I remember having an abscess in one of my back teeth being a complete motherfucker. Also had to sit through a full root canal for it with just local anaesthetic - didn't go for the full knockout because it meant not eating for 24 hours.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I have diverticulitis, went to er with my guts about to explode once. Doc was amazed I walked in like that and I said fuck I had to park and walk half way around the hospital to get to the er…

Constipation on the toilet >_<

Second place is when I needed rubber banding for internal hemorrhoids. They supposed to squeeze off after 24 hours. I laid in bed for 5 days in agony but the pain pills really helped. The doctor made me unable to work the last 15 years due to the damage it did to my pelvic floor.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Backache.
Back in high school in 1983 my friend fell down the stairs and injured his back.
From this moment it has plagued him until we lost touch during our university days.

I coincidentally came across him when shopping downtown about 7 years ago and his back is still messed up.

Some people carry back & knee injuries like luggage the rest of their lives, it's crazy.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Worst physical most would think was my near death experience in 2016 but, no...I was not even aware of how grave my condition was at that time.

I can think of a few other times though. Every Summer growing up my Dad would take me to Indy car races. The night before (which has nothing to do with Indy cars...) I was playing in some lofts of grass in a small valley beside our machine shed. I have not real clue why but my Dad had been burning the grass (the natural process) and thought by throwing a bunch of mulch/grass mix over top, us fool kids wouldn't play on it. We were barefoot and I slipped my feet under the grass as I had no idea he'd been burning that area and it looked dry. I walked through fire. My feet ended up with 2nd degree burns and no amount of medicines or treatments took away the burning feel (for about 3-days anyway). Indianapolis isn't particularly great to be in during the Summer -- so it was uncomfortable sitting through the races the following day and didn't sleep much the night before.

Other extra I'll add would be after a prostate issue caused me to have unmentionable issues. I was about 15 at the time and had to go to a urologist. They recommended a 'closer look' catheters with cameras and all. They warned post that I'd have pain not unlike kidney stones with 'a little blood for maybe a day.' The pain was bad enough I tried not to pee for more than once a day and the blood was there for 4-days. Few times have I had to yell from pain but I sure did then.

Johnny2Bad

I've had a lot of different pains in my life and these days I'm suffering from arthritis but nothing compares to when I had the flu when I was 21. My sinus passages swelled up so bad they were pressing against my brain. Even the slightest movement caused excruciating pain in my head.
Getting to the doctor was a living hell but the antibiotics slowly relieved the pressure. For the next few days, snot was pouring out of my nose like a fountain.

Pimpollo818

The worst pain I've ever felt occurred last year, it was a hemorrhoid. I think it was my second or third one, but this one was the worst one I've ever had. Not only did I have the typical itching, but I was always in discomfort when lying down or sitting. I couldn't sleep and spend a handful of nights pacing the bedroom. Unfortunately, and frustratingly, none of the relief meds helped. Preparation H didn't help but I DO think the witchhazel wipes helped a tiny bit.

Wouldn't wish that shit on anyone. Now I don't take my phone to shit. I'm in and out.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
My very first kidney stone. I’m now in my early 40s and have passed over 40 total, but that very first one, when I didn’t know what it was…I legitimately begged God (and I’m not religious) to either take the pain away, or kill me. I was 19 when that happened.

To add, I was also stabbed in my abdomen at one point in my early twenties, but that was a cake walk compared to probably half of the stones I’ve passed.

Edit - if anyone would like pictures of my stones I have several and could post them here, but didn’t want to put that on anyone, trust me, I wouldn’t wish them on anyone…and also, I have considered actually making a necklace out of the one’s I’ve salvaged 🤷‍♂️😂

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Chest muscle torn after 23 hours of biking on a triathlon bike. Couldn't move
Infected Tooth, so bad i passed out after 48 hours of being up. horrible.
leg operation, discovered morphine has no effect on me, the pain was brutal.

Can't decide whether it was impacted wisdom teeth which felt like my skull was being split or a nerve injury I had in my left arm. You know how people describe certain foods as "fall off the bone?" Well, that's what it felt like with what was happening in my arm. Any tiny movement, or even the pull of fucking gravity felt like the flesh was sliding off.

Brigandier

I've had multiple hernia surgeries, I've had 2 hip operations and a haemorrhoid removal which were all not too bad but end of April I had groin surgery for chronic groin/adductor pain which scans and multiple Dr's couldn't figure out.

The surgeon agreed to go in and have look around and found that my inguinal nerve was entrapped and that all the ligaments/tendons that go through the inguinal canal were a mess, some of the tendons were released.

That was an intense as fuck pain, My cock and balls were blue and black for nearly 2 weeks and the scar is pretty big still.

I’ve had haemorrhoid surgery. Try shitting glass for a month 👍
Damn that sucks man.... I was sore for about a week then it felt better when I had mine years ago...

Pejo

Cracked a few ribs in a paddleboarding accident in Hawaii. It doesn't hold a candle to some of you in this thread, but it was still shitty because A) I was on vacation and B) that was a loooong fucking flight home when no position was comfortable or pain free and I had zero leg room to recline properly.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I was stung by a scorpion once. It felt like someone was wrenching on the spot with pliers for 3 hours before it went down to wasp level for an hour, then bee level, then went numb for weeks, so I think the poison actually melted the nerves or something. It was so much I could barely even get words out to tell someone, the pain just kept drawing my attention back to it so the only way to handle it was to focus entirely on the pain to like become one with it or something.

ssringo

Had a toothache (that was obviously NOT a normal ache) on a Saturday and I elected to go the "wait and see" route and by Sunday was serious pain. The Covid shutdowns were in full swing and I couldn't get seen until Monday. So for a good 30+ hours I got to enjoy this growing pain in my teeth that never subsided, didn't respond to any meds I had access to and I couldn't even fall asleep to get away from it for even a little while. Wound up being an abscessed tooth that spread it's infection to a neighboring tooth and probably up into my cheeks causing most of my face to swell up. Got home with proper medication (antibiotics and painkillers) and passed out for a good couple days only waking up to swallow some apple sauce, water and go to the bathroom. Also lived alone so I had to take care of everything myself.

The pain itself was pretty bad but the complete helplessness to deal with it for so long was another level of awful.

Nok Su Kow

I didn't know it at the time but I had an abscess on the root of my tooth.... I was in tears it was so bad! agony for DAYS, splitting headache, hardly any sleep if I could have removed it myself I would have

The infection was so bad that the painkillers I took wouldn't touch it (and I was taking as many as I could) even the injections at the dentist didn't numb it and I ended up having the tooth removed without any real numbing

Later found out you aren't supposed to remove teeth with infection without taking antibiotics first but this dentist didn't seemed to care and I was in so much pain I didn't either

He removed the tooth and said "Oh that's why the numbing wasn't working for you, you've got a huge abscess there"

Even after it was removed I had a weird phantom pain kind of thing it would hurt and give me migraines for a years before it stopped which I think ended up being a wisdom tooth coming through (I'm 40 now and only 1 ever came through, another made it halfway and a third broke the gum the fourth is MIA)

Top Bottom