• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kidney stones are such a pain..

Rahvar

I was going to name this thread "kidney stones are the worst" because that is how it feels, but obviously there are a lot more lethal and horrifying stuff out there..

Anyways, I'm in pain and have taken a toral of 15 pills so far today, including 2 morphine pills. (Everything is dosed by my doctor). But there's still quite a bit of pain.

I was chatting with DestinyGaf about this on Discord while I was hospitalized during the weekend and it helped me get my mind off the pain a bit. So I figured I should tell my story and see if anyone has some inputs, or even fun anecdotes!

I was working my 4th out of my 6-day week on Friday morning. (Electronics retail, customer service departement). First customer that comes in is an elderly couple who returned a tv they purchased but since they paid in cash and did not have a debit card we had asked them to return that day and we would have the cash ready for them. (Cash is not widely used in Sweden, at least not in Stockholm).

In the middle of talking to them and sorting everything I start feeling this awful pain in my back. I was having a hard time focusing and getting words out without stuttering so I quickly ended the conversation, in hindsight I hope that I didn't seen rude, and when behind to my backoffice to sit down.

After realizing it was not getting better I called a ride and off to the ER I went.
Now Swedish healthcare is ok, and cheap, but if you are not critical you will have to wait.

The pain had started subsiding on the way to the hospital but there was still pain, just not mind-numbing levels.

After 5 hours of waiting, I got to see a doctor. They did a regular check-up and did urine and blood samples and a ultrasound of my bladder. Things looked good though there was traces of red bloodcells in my urine, nothing viaible though. And since my pain was constant and not of the pulsing variety they concluded it was most likely a muscle in my lower back.

Got some painkillers prescribed and went home. Got home around 17.00 and fell asleep, around 21.00 I woke up with a mind-numbing pain out of this world. It felt like I was repeatedly being stabbed in my right side.
Eventually I found myself spinning around on my bathroom floor with a pushing against my side, and getting up trying to use the toilet every fee moments.

My wife, who thankfully was taking the way I was speaking to her very well, called a taxi and of to the ER we went again.

This time I got some painkillers injected right away and eventually the pain started numbing. After about 2 hours I got to see a doctor, new tests and was told to return on Saturday morning at 08.00 because the MRI wasn't available until then. Went home and fell asleep, drove myself there in the morning since I was feeling ok.

Did the MRI pretty much right away and then after more waiting, (by this point I was in pain again and was walking around in circles clenching my fists, must have looked like and addict haha) I got to see a doctor and they found 3 kidney stones, 2 on the right side and 1 on the left.

After more painkillers and having to make calls for someone to pick my car up, I was hospitalized. By now the pain was pretty much gone, but constant pressure on the bladder was unnerving. At least I haf my own room and the view was quite stunning. But being stuck in a hospital bed sucks no matter what.

I was there untik they released me on Sunday afternoon with a whole bunch of prescriptions. 3 different kinds of painkillers, a muscle relaxant and a stomach medicine to counteract the side-effects of the other pills..

Monday I was feeling the same as earlier, by Tuesday the pressure on the bladder had even decreased. I assume one of the stones might have passed even though I didn't notice it.

Today (Wednesday) though.. Ooh boy. Started having some pains around lunch, by then had taken my morning pills but not yet the lunch pills. Took those but the pain was getting worse, took a morphine pill that's for urgent pain and nothing happened. Managed to eat some and after a couple of hours I took another morphine pill. Pain was still there and getting worse, now I was getting nauseous and feeling bloated as well. Once it turned 20:00 I took my evening pills and an extra of the stomach meds that I had already taken in the morning.

Now an hour has passed and the pills are finally helping. There is still pain but not as bad..
Writing this on my phone has taken like 30 minutes and distracted me while the pills kicked in.

So GAF, any stories on kidney stones or similar things?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Have never experienced this and pray to God that i never do. Have heard that it's quite the most horrific thing!

lol and this thread will be filled with pictures of kidney stones not that long from now

Talents

Banned
One of the many upsides of drinking basically only water is having a smaller chance of getting kidney stones. Fuck that.

mrkgoo

Woke up in the middle of the night with stomach cramps that escalated to total incapacitation in a foetal position. Didn't know what was up and rushed to the emergency hospital. Turned out to be kidney stones.

Imagine the worst stomach cramps you have gotten, and that just happening constantly with no sight of release.

Not recommended to any one. I know someone who had had kidney stones and two kids and said the kidney stones were worse.

One of the many upsides of drinking basically only water is having a smaller chance of getting kidney stones. Fuck that.

The one good thing to come out of kidney stones. Going from drinking 3 to 4 cans of soda a day to none. Life coming along and stabbing you in the side and saying to stop fucking around.

Ferr986

It sucks. Had it for the first time more or less a year ago. Wake up with some slight back pain, and I thought I just had a bad night. Then the pain kicks and you can't pretty much do shit but roll in pain.

Luckily I didn't got hospitalized more than some hours, got "drugged" af and was sent home with a plethora of pills for the pain.

verbatimo

I had one over ten years ago.

Pain was something you don't wish for nobody.

After that episode I completely dropped off soda. I have been soda free over 10 years and no kidney stones since.

Drink lot's and lot's of water people. 2 litre/day minimun for me.

Sandoval

I’m excited to experience having a kidney stone, I want to see what the fuss is about

I thought my apendix had burst and that I was busy dying at 3AM. I had to take a three part bowel cleansing kit that included some pills, about 8 oz of completely foul liquid, and then to top off my 8 hour shitting spree I had a wax suppository as a figurative night cap before going in to get some contrast x-rays taken. The upside is that I passed the stone while glued to the toilet. The downside is that I was supposed to try to keep it for analysis.

I've since stopped drinking massive amounts of tea and taken up trying to drink at least 80oz of water per day. It's been at least 10 years now and I haven't had another.

In short... You don't want no part of this shit.

I've got a 2mm and 3mm stone one in right one in left. Comes with the territory of kidney disease. Not looking forward to maybe having to pass them some day

bumclot

I had a stone back at the end of June. Drink water like your life depends on it, you definitely don't want to have to go through surgery to get it removed. I had to get a ureteroscopy with laser lithotripsy after I wasn't able to pass the stone naturally and then had a stent in for about five days. It was very painful to urinate and the blood really freaked me out. Then, getting the stent removed was more painful than the stone, just a lot quicker.

Also, I was popping Norcos like Skittles for the stone and I started feeling all kinds of aches and pains when I came off them. I can't say for sure but I think I was in withdrawal from a habit, so be mindful about your intake.

Krakatoa

Yep, I passed two 10 or so years ago. After the 2nd I quit drinking soda. Since then I've been stone free.

Man the relief when it finally leaves your system. Tears of Joy.

Zackat

Kidney stone thread

drinking-water.jpg

RonnocTheRed

Neo Member
I had a stone back at the end of June. Drink water like your life depends on it, you definitely don't want to have to go through surgery to get it removed. I had to get a ureteroscopy with laser lithotripsy after I wasn't able to pass the stone naturally and then had a stent in for about five days. It was very painful to urinate and the blood really freaked me out. Then, getting the stent removed was more painful than the stone, just a lot quicker.

Also, I was popping Norcos like Skittles for the stone and I started feeling all kinds of aches and pains when I came off them. I can't say for sure but I think I was in withdrawal from a habit, so be mindful about your intake.

Had to get a 4mm stone removed via a ureteroscopy myself a few weeks back. Seems it found a nice spot in my ureter to wedge itself and refused to budge after it initially dropped there back in July. I got lucky with my surgery at least and it was a simple pull for them that left me without needing a stent.

Still had the peeing pure blood thing for the evening after the procedure, which was pretty horrific.

I've still got two 3mm stones to go, one in each kidney. Hopefully they're more cooperative and come out on their own this time. Although, I'm not looking forward to learning what that part of kidney stones feels like.

Since the first one dropped in July, luckily my pain hasn't been consistently bad. There was one really bad day that sent me to the ER since I was vomiting constantly. Couldn't keep down any water at all.

Aside from that day, the pain was more like a minor reminder that something is sitting there that shouldn't. Nothing I needed to be prescribed serious pain meds for, thankfully.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I had one like 7-8 years ago, and yeah, they fucking hurt.

I was twisting in pain my bed for I don't know how many hours before I went to the hospital. I could barely walk between the car and the buildings, it was ridiculous. I think I was at the hospital for like 8 hours before I finally got out, thankfully I was on morphine most of the time, so I could handle the pain or at least try to relax.

The stone came out without me noticing while peeing, but I heard horror stories where they sometimes get stuck because they're too big and the doctor has to use some tool to go grab it...THROUGH YOUR FUCKING PENIS, no matter how far it can be. Biggest "nope" ever.

Sqwiggles

Neo Member
Passed about 8 stones over the years as well as a decent amount of "grit" Always found pressing a hot water bottle against the side where the stone is coming through the tube helped a lot. Lay a tea-towel over the skin first then press the HWB on it. Think the heat just relaxes everything and makes the passing easier. Walking around also helps but that's a major effort when the pain is bad. Drink lots of water. Stock up on PKs.

Biggest stone was about 12mm. Called God a few times when that one came through.

darscot

The problem with a kidney stone is the lack of trauma. I've had some bad injuries but when you suffer trauma your brain just naturally takes a little off. Its like you go ok this is bad I'm going to zone out and take a little time out. A kidney stone is just volume 11 pain out of fucking nowhere you can't take anything off it. It's just this insane clearly focused pain, you can feel it fucking travelling through you. I passed mine in the waiting room and did the whole thing drug free, I wish that shit on no one.

Rahvar

Passed about 8 stones over the years as well as a decent amount of "grit" Always found pressing a hot water bottle against the side where the stone is coming through the tube helped a lot. Lay a tea-towel over the skin first then press the HWB on it. Think the heat just relaxes everything and makes the passing easier. Walking around also helps but that's a major effort when the pain is bad. Drink lots of water. Stock up on PKs.

Biggest stone was about 12mm. Called God a few times when that one came through.

12mm and you got it out? Holy... I salute you soldier.

PooBone

I was going to name this thread "kidney stones are the worst" because that is how it feels, but obviously there are a lot more lethal and horrifying stuff out there..

Anyways, I'm in pain and have taken a toral of 15 pills so far today, including 2 morphine pills. (Everything is dosed by my doctor). But there's still quite a bit of pain.

I was chatting with DestinyGaf about this on Discord while I was hospitalized during the weekend and it helped me get my mind off the pain a bit. So I figured I should tell my story and see if anyone has some inputs, or even fun anecdotes!

I was working my 4th out of my 6-day week on Friday morning. (Electronics retail, customer service departement). First customer that comes in is an elderly couple who returned a tv they purchased but since they paid in cash and did not have a debit card we had asked them to return that day and we would have the cash ready for them. (Cash is not widely used in Sweden, at least not in Stockholm).

In the middle of talking to them and sorting everything I start feeling this awful pain in my back. I was having a hard time focusing and getting words out without stuttering so I quickly ended the conversation, in hindsight I hope that I didn't seen rude, and when behind to my backoffice to sit down.

After realizing it was not getting better I called a ride and off to the ER I went.
Now Swedish healthcare is ok, and cheap, but if you are not critical you will have to wait.

The pain had started subsiding on the way to the hospital but there was still pain, just not mind-numbing levels.

After 5 hours of waiting, I got to see a doctor. They did a regular check-up and did urine and blood samples and a ultrasound of my bladder. Things looked good though there was traces of red bloodcells in my urine, nothing viaible though. And since my pain was constant and not of the pulsing variety they concluded it was most likely a muscle in my lower back.

Got some painkillers prescribed and went home. Got home around 17.00 and fell asleep, around 21.00 I woke up with a mind-numbing pain out of this world. It felt like I was repeatedly being stabbed in my right side.
Eventually I found myself spinning around on my bathroom floor with a pushing against my side, and getting up trying to use the toilet every fee moments.

My wife, who thankfully was taking the way I was speaking to her very well, called a taxi and of to the ER we went again.

This time I got some painkillers injected right away and eventually the pain started numbing. After about 2 hours I got to see a doctor, new tests and was told to return on Saturday morning at 08.00 because the MRI wasn't available until then. Went home and fell asleep, drove myself there in the morning since I was feeling ok.

Did the MRI pretty much right away and then after more waiting, (by this point I was in pain again and was walking around in circles clenching my fists, must have looked like and addict haha) I got to see a doctor and they found 3 kidney stones, 2 on the right side and 1 on the left.

After more painkillers and having to make calls for someone to pick my car up, I was hospitalized. By now the pain was pretty much gone, but constant pressure on the bladder was unnerving. At least I haf my own room and the view was quite stunning. But being stuck in a hospital bed sucks no matter what.

I was there untik they released me on Sunday afternoon with a whole bunch of prescriptions. 3 different kinds of painkillers, a muscle relaxant and a stomach medicine to counteract the side-effects of the other pills..

Monday I was feeling the same as earlier, by Tuesday the pressure on the bladder had even decreased. I assume one of the stones might have passed even though I didn't notice it.

Today (Wednesday) though.. Ooh boy. Started having some pains around lunch, by then had taken my morning pills but not yet the lunch pills. Took those but the pain was getting worse, took a morphine pill that's for urgent pain and nothing happened. Managed to eat some and after a couple of hours I took another morphine pill. Pain was still there and getting worse, now I was getting nauseous and feeling bloated as well. Once it turned 20:00 I took my evening pills and an extra of the stomach meds that I had already taken in the morning.

Now an hour has passed and the pills are finally helping. There is still pain but not as bad..
Writing this on my phone has taken like 30 minutes and distracted me while the pills kicked in.

Brother I've passed 19 kidney stones (I'm 32) so far, including two via surgery where they send a camera tube up your dickhole to fish them out the big ones. Never done the thing where they sonically blast them into bits but my dad has. He's in his 60s and just passed his 55th a couple weeks ago. His dad had over 70 when he passed away. Bad genes for me. Do whatever you can to distract yourself and I'll say it again and again, ALTERNATE WATER AND BEER. Drink a glass of water then a beer and don't stop. They say that beer will dehydrate you (hence the alternating with water), but it also makes you have to piss. The more frequent and the more you NEED to really go when you do, the more likely you are to flush that thing out of there. It will also give you a buzz which will help distract you from the pain, and will also hopefully require you to take less pain pill. I don't recommend anything harder than light beer because the pain pills combined can be bad on your liver if you do it too much or for too long.

Also if this is your first, take comfort in the fact that once it gets to your bladder the pain will basically stop. Pissing it out from there feels like getting a shot or something, it's a blast of pain that lasts a fraction of a second and then you'll be cheering at the sight of that little bastard.

Good luck brother.

Rahvar

Brother I've passed 19 kidney stones (I'm 32) so far, including two via surgery where they send a camera tube up your dickhole to fish them out the big ones. Never done the thing where they sonically blast them into bits but my dad has. He's in his 60s and just passed his 55th a couple weeks ago. His dad had over 70 when he passed away. Bad genes for me. Do whatever you can to distract yourself and I'll say it again and again, ALTERNATE WATER AND BEER. Drink a glass of water then a beer and don't stop. They say that beer will dehydrate you (hence the alternating with water), but it also makes you have to piss. The more frequent and the more you NEED to really go when you do, the more likely you are to flush that thing out of there. It will also give you a buzz which will help distract you from the pain, and will also hopefully require you to take less pain pill. I don't recommend anything harder than light beer because the pain pills combined can be bad on your liver if you do it too much or for too long.

Also if this is your first, take comfort in the fact that once it gets to your bladder the pain will basically stop. Pissing it out from there feels like getting a shot or something, it's a blast of pain that lasts a fraction of a second and then you'll be cheering at the sight of that little bastard.

Good luck brother.

Yikes. I feel for you and your family. I'm the same age as you and these 3 are my first. Sadly I can't stand beer, and drinking something heavier on these drugs is a big nono. I am chugging water like no tomorrow and move around when I'm not squirming from pain. Thanks for sharing :)

Voidwolf

This is why I try not to drink soda too often, even when going out to eat. I've had family go through this and it sounds like a horrible experience.

You really don't. My female doctor told me it's worse than having a baby. Obviously I can't compare but it was unbelievably painful.

Now that's a first. So you're telling me if I pass a kidney stone I can finally respond to all the women that say men could never understand the pain of child birth?

Dazzler

worst pain I've ever experienced

I simultaneously wanted to puke, pee and shit, but couldn't do any of the three

Drink lots and lots of water. Flush them out. When they come out, it'll be the nicest pee you ever take

Mine looked like a jagged rice crispie when it came out

Rahvar

This is why I try not to drink soda too often, even when going out to eat. I've had family go through this and it sounds like a horrible experience.

Now that's a first. So you're telling me if I pass a kidney stone I can finally respond to all the women that say men could never understand the pain of child birth?

Haha. I would believe you. But some might not. Also, childbirth differs between people. My mom has 6 kids and the longest she was in labor for was 45 minutes...

Pharaun

I had a kidney stone 10 or 11 years ago and it was by far the most painful thing I ever experienced, the only way I can describe it is that it felt like I was being repeatedly stab in my kidney and it wouldn't stop. I finally passed it after a couple of weeks, but it was awful until then. While it was moving it had me curled up in a ball just waiting until that little bastard shifted to a position that didn't hurt quite as much.

If anyone wants to have some nightmares they should google magnified images of kidney stones.

Voidwolf

Haha. I would believe you. But some might not. Also, childbirth differs between people. My mom has 6 kids and the longest she was in labor for was 45 minutes...

That's crazy, anyhow, reading some of the experiences in this thread makes it clear it's not worth it lol. Hell, it almost makes me wanna stop drinking soda altogether. Almost.

Sqwiggles

Neo Member
12mm and you got it out? Holy... I salute you soldier.

I got lucky. The stone broke in two as it entered the tube and when both bits eventually came out - peed in the sink - you could see it was one big stone originally. The stone was also pretty smooth with no sharp edges which obviously helped. I've got all my stones kept in a little glass jar. I bring it out on Halloween to scare the kids.

Another thing - don't think your problems are over when the stone passes into your bladder for you to simply piss out. I had a stone come through and it got stuck halfway between my balls and the end of my dick. No pain but it felt like someone was licking you from your asshole to your knob end all the time. Mine was stuck there for a week.

Talked to the Doc about it a few days later and he asked how often I was having sex or whatever. He explained that the tube down there gets's "furred up" and narrows over time as you pass urine and sperm and big stones can get stuck. So go easy on the wanking, guys.

Kalnoky

Yeah, had my first (and only so far) kidney stone a few years back. Went to sleep after work one morning and woke up to the stabbing pain in my side/lower back like you were talking about. Kidney stones run in my family (my mom gets them like once every couple years), so I kind of immediately assumed it was that. I could barely walk, the pain was so sharp. Made me super stiff, and I kind of stumbled to the bathroom, and peed bloody urine. Started throwing up, just because of how much pain I was in. Called my mom, she drove me to the ER, threw up again in the parking lot. The pain would kind of come and go in intense waves - a few minutes of mind-numbing sharp pain, then a few minutes of throbbing dull aching. Luckily the ER I went to wasn't very busy when I went (this was around 11pm on a Monday night) and I was able to be seen within 40 minutes or so of being there. I writhed around on a bed waiting for the doctor for another 20-30 minutes, then they gave me a morphine IV and everything from that point on was amazing. Peed some more (peed out the stone at some point there), laid around high out of my mind drinking water, and eventually got released around 2am or so.

Worst part was basically the hospital bill. Maxed out my deductible for the year and ended up owing like $3000 out of pocket.

Rahvar

Yeah, had my first (and only so far) kidney stone a few years back. Went to sleep after work one morning and woke up to the stabbing pain in my side/lower back like you were talking about. Kidney stones run in my family (my mom gets them like once every couple years), so I kind of immediately assumed it was that. I could barely walk, the pain was so sharp. Made me super stiff, and I kind of stumbled to the bathroom, and peed bloody urine. Started throwing up, just because of how much pain I was in. Called my mom, she drove me to the ER, threw up again in the parking lot. The pain would kind of come and go in intense waves - a few minutes of mind-numbing sharp pain, then a few minutes of throbbing dull aching. Luckily the ER I went to wasn't very busy when I went (this was around 11pm on a Monday night) and I was able to be seen within 40 minutes or so of being there. I writhed around on a bed waiting for the doctor for another 20-30 minutes, then they gave me a morphine IV and everything from that point on was amazing. Peed some more (peed out the stone at some point there), laid around high out of my mind drinking water, and eventually got released around 2am or so.

Worst part was basically the hospital bill. Maxed out my deductible for the year and ended up owing like $3000 out of pocket.

Ouch. Both the stone and the cost. The taxis cost me more than my 2 visits to the ER, hospital stay and MRI combined

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Water, beer, any mixture of those - at the first sign of back/abdomenal pain. I cannot stress this enough - the earlier your start with those liquids, the better you'll be. And stay away from sodas. For life.

Top Bottom