• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your definition of a perfect, timeless video game?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Nintendo IPs /thread

Pretty much.

A Link to the Past is still my all time great, followed by Super Mario World.

Also Capcom's Streetfighter 2.

PC wise these are my timeless games:

Civilisation 4
Sim City 4
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Tie Fighter
Freespace 2
Ultima VII Parts 1 and 2
Ultima Underworld 2
Doom 2
Starcraft
Command and Conquer Generals / Zero Hour
Total Annihilation

SHA

A horror or any genre that involves personalities rather than objects and materials which is relative to time, a story that has a meaning but not overshadowed by Technology like humanity's fate from Doom or futuristic like Mirror's edge that doesn't lack the human aspect of the game.

1280x720.jpg

ico. an immortal, universal folk tale that didn't exist until ueda & co created it...

Last edited:

MacReady13

Generally games where gameplay is entirely the focus, and the object is beating a high score or seeing how long you can last.

Classic arcade games of my childhood like Pac-Man, Robotron 2084, River Raid, etc…

These days I’m a big fan of Devil Daggers.
Gameplay is KING. Once people realize that story is a very distant 2nd to gameplay (like it USED to be in the "old days") then we can all agree what games truly are perfect. I mean, I cannot possibly fathom how anyone could consider The Last Of Us to be a perfect game over something like Super Mario World. Gameplay should always be number 1 when playing a videogame.

Steetfighter 2, Mario Kart, Mario 3, Kick Off, Tetris, are a handful of old games that, in my opinion, could still be played today in their original form and be enjoyed.

They have a timeless quality that has, in a lot of ways, never been bettered.

Graphics, of course, improve with time - but the core gameplay element rarely does.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Lots actually…

Zelda OOT
Suoer Metroid
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Metal Gear Solid
Castlevania 3
Castlevania SOTN
Final Fantasy 6

I’m sure I can think of more but those are good enough.

Pejo

I don't feel that many games outside of the 16 bit or pixel era are considered "timeless" honestly. My picks are the usuals like SotN, ALttP, Chrono Trigger, Tetris, etc. Even really good games like Mario64 are very much a product of their time and most people would look at it and go "ehhhh", gameplay aside. Maybe some of the more modern stylized games will be considered timeless classics in the future, like Ori or Dragon's Crown.

You could argue that visuals aren't the only factor in this, but a lot of people won't give a game the time of day if it's considered ugly by modern standards, and it can't be considered "perfect" if it's ugly.

I think the game that really hit this home for me was Goldeneye 64. I played HUNDREDS of hours of that game when I was a kid with my friends, and considered it a personal classic and one of my favorite games of all time. Then, I had a chance to play it again on an n64 at a retro arcade/bar with the shitty old N64 controller and it controlled and looked like absolute ass. Thus it will be for most games in the future. Especially the games going for realism.

Last edited:

IAmRei

I occasionally replay Metroids, almost one game or two, finished, each year. Sometimes i also replayed some RPG such as Final Fantasy tactics, VI, IX, or Chrono Trigger. Last year i beat far cry 3 again. For me, the best game ever is the game who had replayibility beyond time. Especially if the art, gameplay, and feel, still could amazed me in several years later or more.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resident Evil but it has to be the 1996 PSX release. Subsequent releases were nerfed.

It's such a freaking shame that the OG release is basically lost to time now seeing how the official release on PS3/PS4/PS5 are all Director's Cut. PS4/PS5 at least have the OG soundtrack but even the PC seamless HD mods, those add quick turn, auto-aim, etc. RE is a cakewalk with all that stuff, it breaks the game. 1996 NA release, Hunters are still brutal and the final Tyrant fight is always a nail biter.

Play the game however you want but the real OG RE experience will be the game that released in 1996 for PSX. There's a reason the game became such a hit and it's because of how scary and brutally difficult it was. We'd never seen anything like that and it was the stuff of legends at school. Beating that game was like a rite of passage back then.

I_D

The perfect video game is the game that understands its technological limitations and options to an extreme degree, and then capitalizes in as many ways as possible; all without breaking the execution of the program.
The perfect game needs to run well, while also doing impressive things with its hardware. Anybody (kinda) can make a game that runs well; and anybody (kinda) can make a game that looks fantastic. For the perfect game, though, the developer must do both at the same time.
The perfect game also needs to have tight gameplay, meaning that there should be almost no input-lag/animation-lag/frame-lag/etc., and the player should be able to do whatever he/she is realistically-expecting to do, without unfair complications.
The perfect game will also have replay-ability; it will not be the game each time. It doesn't have to be total Minecraft-esque each time; but it should, at least, have some reason to play the game again. Even something as simple as side-quests, optional items, different endings, etc.

2D games age exceptionally well, because they are made with strict limitations in mind (most of the time).
There are too many to count.
If I absolutely had to pick one, though, I'd probably go with "A Link to the Past."
Second-place would be basically any early 2D Mario game.
(My favorite game of all time, though, is still Diablo 2 - which is a pseudo-2D/3D game.)

In terms of 3D, that's a bit tougher; but there are still plenty of options:

The very first thing that comes to mind is Majora's Mask. I think that one has enough replay-ability, while also being tight-enough, while also running well-enough (Though, that last bit is admittedly a stretch).
I'm also thinking about Ninja Gaiden Black, which is just a fantastic game (if you can find something to run it).
Halo: CE is also a fantastic choice, though it falls a bit short on the 'run well' part of the requirement.
Counterstrike is popular, to this day, for a reason.
I don't even like WoW, but damn is it ever-impressive.
I feel like Quake 3 and UT2k4 deserve a strong mention.
Max Payne 2 and 3, F.E.A.R., Project Gotham Racing 4, Resident Evil 4 (Wii), and maybe something like Skyrim or Witcher 3.
Perhaps Half-Life 1 and 2, or Far Cry 1, or a Tycoon game, or 3D Zelda.

There are tons to choose from.

Also... FROM games.

Crayon

There's actually a lot. SMB3, scud race, lttp, vf4, demons souls, mgs3, quake, could go on. Complete-feeling, gamey games that should still be able to leave an impression. Things I could recommend to anyone.

Rayderism

The closest games recently that I consider "timeless" has been the pinball recreations.....The Pinball Arcade, Zaccaria and Pinball FX. Specifically, the re-creations of tables that existed in real life, not so much the "originals", which I call fako tables. They have what I call "infinite re-playability" and they are my go-to's when I'm in between major releases.

robor

One with a simple theme extrapolated and developed throughout the game world while giving space for the player's world-view to grow within it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most Nintendo classics (old like OoT and modern like SMG or BOTW or Splatoon) people love to trash and pretend they really aren't all that should be game design 101 and game players but also devs acting like fanboys and partaking in said panning shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone ever.

Same for Sega arcade games people pretend are outdated or whatever by current trends in for example racing games, as if any of them are ever nearly as fun as Daytona USA or Sega Rally or others of their classics. Not to say both companies don't have plenty of duds too, that's another matter.

Last edited:
One with perfect pacing that can easily be replayed years later and still be highly enjoyable. Aka, Timeless.

Examples: Mario 64, Zelda: LTTP/OOT, Chrono Trigger, Resident Evil 4, Uncharted 2, TLOU1, God of War 2, etc. Plenty others I'm missing but those are just examples.

I wouldn't put BOTW in this category because of how bloated it is and how mechanically unsatisfying despite the amazing exploration. Once you discover what it has, there's really no reason to return.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
The people saying Doom 1 are simply wrong. Waaaay too many mazes. In Doom 2 the maps have personality.

Mario 3d Land

TL;DR - video game achieves perfection and timelessness when its gameplay mechanics are perfectly aligned with the intended experience, and seemingly antiquated mechanics serve to contribute to the game's intended atmosphere and tension rather than making it worse due to its age.
Parasite Eve 1, basically...

Laptop1991

For me it's Fallout 3 and New Vegas and Skyrim but to be honest, it's because of the modding community, i wouldn't have played these games anywhere near as much if it was Vanilla, the oldest game i still play now is FEAR 1.

Evil Smurf King

Neo Member
For me, yes, there perfect, timeless games:

Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Bloodborne
Super Mario World
Risk of Rain 2
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2 (The Tanker Section)
Metroid Prime
Super Street Fighter 2
Dead Cells
Steamworld Dig 2
Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts
Super Metroid
Uncharted 2
Soul Calibur 2
Spelunky
Crazy Taxy
Outrun 2 Coast to Coast
Forza Horizon 3
Halo CE
Panzer Dragoon Zwei

Basically, you can play these games forever on a deserted island, and you'll be good...

sigmaZ

People have already said Chrono Trigger and SoTN, so here's one of the most repayable games of all time.

Do5VaPo.png

When I heard Capcom released it as a web browser game, I tried it out and had to stop myself from playing through the game. lol
It has the hallmark of something timeless:
It's straight to the point.
It's just long enough.
It has moments of difficultly but doesn't go overboard with it
It has a fantastic OST and aesthetic

Vol5

A more recent game for me would be The Witness. Teaches you the game without any text, is replayable if not using a wiki, looks and sounds fantastic and has something about it that feels different from other games. It's not like the gameplay could age either as it's simply a puzzle game. I'd be happy to jump into it in 20 years and still be amazed with the thoughtfulness and passion that was placed into it.

Top Bottom