• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite mainline (single player) Final Fantasy - post-Final Fantasy VII GAF?

My favorite(s) is/are:

• Final Fantasy VIII

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Final Fantasy IX

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • Final Fantasy X

Votes: 17 18.1%
  • Final Fantasy XII

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Final Fantasy XIII

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Final Fantasy XIV

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 12 12.8%

• Total voters
Final Fantasy VII is a much-beloved game, but what is your favorite entry beyond it?

I personally like XII the most of the ones I have played. It was something fresh, bringing MMO-like gameplay into a single player entry. Unsurprisingly, it was a game that was quite divisive among Final Fantasy-fans, even though I wasn't really aware of it at the time. I gave it the chance it deserved, and let it speak for itself. With a Star Wars-like feel to it, both graphically and musically, and open and interesting locations, as well as the addictive gameplay it has to be my favorite.

It was the last entry I played as well, so cannot say anything about the games that came after it.

The poll allows you to choose two entries max. if one is a bit difficult.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Voted Final Fantasy XIV because 1) it's probably the best game in the series anyway and 2) for the lols of "best single player"

Seriously though, XIV is fun even if you're playing solo.

sublimit

Banned
Why did you included XIV?

I voted for FFX and IX.
FFX is easily my favorite post VII but it was really hard to choose between IX and XII. In the end i voted for IX because it's a much more solid and finished game than XII. But i also really loved XII.

Lately though i have a strange urge to replay XIII and give it another chance. I feel that, over the years, my stance has changed more favorably towards it.

Sakura

IX is the only FF I've really enjoyed. Mainline FF that is, I love Tactics.
The other games always seemed to somehow lose me part way through.

Poor Final Fantasy VIII, that game wasn't too bad either I think. In fact, I prefer it to Final Fantasy VII.

Think most of these games are great. Thanks past and future voters.

Pejo

Gold Member
Single player, but I see XIV, but I don't see XI. Weird poll OP.

Anyways, it's 9. It's the last game we got that actually felt like a Final Fantasy game. And don't give me that "but every game is different" bullshit. If you're a fan of the series from the NES/SNES days, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Isa
I think you can read this post as, What is your favorite Final Fantasy since Square gave it over to Nomura-san. :) The only two FF games listed here that Tetsuya Nomura did not touch are FF IX and FF XII. You can really see that with all the character designs in the mainline games where he was involved. Characters start to wear more zippers, shorts with 1 leg longer than the other, etc. or as Pat from SMPS would put it, Zaz factor. Also, the plot lines get really convoluted and hard to follow/make no sense.
This is the crux of what has made Final Fantasy some what unappealing to me over the years. So, my vote went to FF XII, as I think this was a game that could have been a defining step in the franchise with what Square did. They picked Yasumi Matsuno to take over as lead director, and he crafted a fairly original story and neat/interesting gameplay mechanics for Final Fantasy. There were big changes, but that is part of the Final Fantasy DNA (or at least it was at the time). Unfortunately Matsuno had to bow out, the game got completed by other members of the Square FF team, and it was an odd game to say the least. But I still enjoy it, and even like to wonder what would have been if Matsuno had gotten to complete the game. If Square would move forward with getting innovative talent to helm FF games in the future, and shake up the formula time and again.
Now, it seems like the past two main (non-online) games are just sorta a rehash of older FF games with new graphics and somewhat new mechanics. FF XIII had the battle hardened solider with a chip on her shoulder, convoluted plot(out the @$$), and token black character side kick. FF XV had again, a convoluted plot (but that was because half of it was told to you through other media released along side the game), and call backs to the World of Ruin from FF VI, all the old sound tracks, etc.
Did you know that FF VIII doesn't have the crystal theme/prelude that permeated the early entries in the series? Now, any FF game guaranteed will have the prelude in it, because it has to. I kinda get bummed out about that, but it is hard to put into words. I like Final Fantasy, even the new games, but they never capture the charm and highs/lows of the older entries. I think this is because Square-Enix is worried to stray too far from the formula and upset fans.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. FF XII is a great game, but it could have been better,

Virex

Banned
Voted Final Fantasy XIV because 1) it's probably the best game in the series anyway and 2) for the lols of "best single player"

Seriously though, XIV is fun even if you're playing solo.
Pity people don't look past the fact that XIV is an mmo. It's got a phenomenal story.

kunonabi

Only FF I love post FFVI is X-2.

If I had to pick from these I'd have to go with IX or X. Probably X since IX is a chore to actually play..

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i voted VIII. the music is just too good. plus the mini game, Triple Triad, it amazing.

that said i love all of them. might have gone with X but i hate the mini game and the temples you have to do. it's a shame those are such big parts of the game cos otherwise i would have gone w it.

D.Final

Banned
My favorites Final Fantasy games, in this poll choice, are Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy IX, and Final Fantasy VIII.

5j3D9YF.jpg

I love the Final Fantasy XV narrative Universe, and I also really like a lot even Final Fantasy IX. They are both in the top 3 of the best Final Fantasy games ever made for me.
My favorites villain of the Final Fantasy saga are, Garland (FF I), Kefka (FF VI), Ardyn (FF XV), Sephiroth (FF VII), and Kuja (FF IX).
And from these Ardyn Izunia is absolutely one of the best ever made for me :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Ovg5wfq.jpg

But every Final Fantasy are unique experience for every player that they played it. So every game as also an unique quality, and quirks, that makes it original and new.

Last edited:
Xenogears and Legend of Dragoon.

Like I said in the previous topic Chrono Trigger was for pre-VII. Xenogears and Legend of Dragoon was for post-VII

But for the sake of my friend D.Final I voted FFXV. :messenger_beaming:

Final Fantasy IX and X have the most memorable cast of characters in the series for me, fun gameplay systems, beautiful music tracks and story moments that still stick with me after all these years (Zidane and Tidus growing so much throughout their respective stories). Personally, I love them equally, even though I played Final Fantasy IX first.

As for Final Fantasy XII, I did find it addicting hunting down and defeating certain monsters whose info would be posted in town, more so than the actual story bosses, haha.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
IX, X, and XV.

I liked XIII for its battle system.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Single player, but I see XIV, but I don't see XI. Weird poll OP.

Anyways, it's 9. It's the last game we got that actually felt like a Final Fantasy game. And don't give me that "but every game is different" bullshit. If you're a fan of the series from the NES/SNES days, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I am a fan of the NES/SNES days and I *don't* know what you are talking about. X, XI, XII, and XIV all capture the same classic Final Fantasy feel, just with slight tweaks and some different gameplay systems to benefit the genre they tried to push (MMO-Lite/MMORPG, etc).

Vawn

Banned
A poll that has XIV but not XI? Not cool.

As for just offline entries, I'd probably go with IX or XII.

Joe T.

XI should've been given an honorable mention, the main story/missions were practically turned into a single player game years ago.

IX gets my nod despite my low opinion of Kuja as a villain.

I think too many writers/narrative designers in the AAA space don't appreciate the importance of quirky/jovial moments as much as they should (one of my beefs with 343's Halo games), which FFIX had in spades. They help bring characters and the games as a whole to life, make them more relatable and memorable.

Traianvs

Hard choice for me. I think ix is the best 3d final fantasy but I can't but love the characters from 8 and 15.
The love story between Rinoa and Squall and the interactions between the bros in the last game ( not speaking of that amazing ending and the best villain since Kefka) are very well written

DelireMan7

Can't answer because I only played the VI, VII, X, X-2 and XV. But I am catching up slowly :) Next on my list is XII.

EDIT : But X is a really strong one. My first FF and put several hundeds hours on it :). Add a lot of fun with X-2 and XV (but this one is a bit below the other)

Last edited:
Everything up till X. I didn't played anything there after. The series lost a certain vibe and charm that's gone missing ever since Sakaguchi left. I haven't felt drawn to it since then.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
FFX was the only one I beat. Only other ones I played were XII and XIII, but never beat them. I remember really enjoying XII, but getting bored of XIII. Should've completed them. (I wish I knew what happened to my PS2, though.)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My favorite always changes.

Currently it's FFIX. Never realized how good that game was.

It used to be VIII.

Top Bottom