• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite donut?

Nymphae

Banned
I fucking love donuts. In Canada we pretty much just have Tim Horton's now. There are smaller specialty stores that will sometimes carry donuts, but for dedicated places you can go to just get a bunch of donuts, Tim's is basically the only game in town, and their donuts are not nearly as good as they used to be when they were baked in the stores. If I absolutely have no other choice, I will eat some of their honey dipped Timbits:

25017398_440047146393449_4961371174652084224_n.jpg

I refuse to eat any of those mass produced donuts you'd find at Wal Mart or other grocery stores, they never taste good I find. You know, the white powdered ones or plain or chocolate covered. Bleh.

Recently a few Country Style chains have popped up around me and they have really great donuts. My favourite is the Sugar Twist, looks kind of like this, it's just a plain ass donut twisted up and doused in sugar. They have a cinnamon powder variant which is also crazy good.

o.jpg

highrider

Banned
In Maryland we have Krispy Kreme which are excellent in a regular glazed. TBH even at 7-11 the donuts and pastries are pretty good. The Apple fritter is really good. Sadly at 52 I’m not able to often indulge my love of sweet, fried dough.

Nymphae

Banned
Probably a Dunkin Old Fashioned or the chocolate cake donut. I really like simple and plain when it comes to donuts

I wish Dunkin Donuts would come up here to Canada and give Tim Horton's some competition. I've never had their donuts but I like their coffee.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

I like yeast donuts with the chocolate icing on top. Glazed are nice but a bit messy, you know? With the icing it's just the right sweetness but cleaner, and even easier to handle if it's the bar shaped one. Other than that, blueberry cake donuts can be nice now and then.

Nymphae

Banned

I like yeast donuts with the chocolate icing on top. Glazed are nice but a bit messy, you know? With the icing it's just the right sweetness but cleaner, and even easier to handle if it's the bar shaped one. Other than that, blueberry cake donuts can be nice now and then.

Yes glazed donuts are great sometimes but I find myself not choosing them because they give you sticky fingers. The honey dipped Tim Horton's donuts are bad for this, but with the timbits it's usually not a problem, the glaze is just hard enough and you just pop the whole thing in your mouth.

Nymphae

Banned
Krispy Kreme is my favorite brand, but my favorite type is the Old Fasion Donut:

4-doughnuts1.jpg

Those look like Tim Horton's sourcream glazed donuts:

sour-cream-glazed-donut.jpg

We had Krispy Kreme up here years ago for a brief period and then they went away for some reason despite everyone going nuts for them.

Dark Star

Can't go wrong with simple glazed or a classic frosting with sprinkles.

I've always been a fan of donut holes, like lemon or blueberry filled, even the chocolate filled ones are delish

I'm not a stickler for brand name, like Dunkin, because the local Ma and Pa shops are usually the best.

glazed-lemon-curd-donut-holes-3.jpg

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
The ones with chocolate on top and the vanilla creme center. Not that light and fluffy creme either. I like the kind that's almost like pudding or custard in it. Then again I love Boston creme pies also.

After that its glazed donuts, especially if they are relatively fresh. And cinnamon fries.

kunonabi

Dunkin Donuts as far as the big chains go but really the best donuts are at those little hole-in-the-wall places.

Favorite donut flavors are:

1. Cinnamon
2. Glazed
3. Maple
4. Regular cake

Myths

Glazed followed by Maple. Also, they need to be lukewarm in order for me to enjoy. DO NOT like crusty ass, hard-flaky doughnuts that have been sitting out all day (presumably absorbing undesirable odors of its surroundings too).

John Day

Regular glazed Krispy Kreme donut, and Bavarian kreme.

There was a donut shop in Houston that had a Simpsons donut, i loved that too

Dural

There's a local apple orchard that make some of the best donuts, they're crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. They have a light apple taste with cinnamon and sugar on the outside. They make them fresh right there, so good. My wife, who's a fairly small woman mind you, has been known to eat half a dozen while wandering around the barn before we've even bought them.

Otherwise I love the fresh krispy kreme glazed, don't have any near me though. For a standard donut shop I'll usually choose a nutty donut, old fashioned, boston creme, or apple fritter depending on the day or shop.

HJaoF1v.jpg

Last edited:
Don't have too much experience with donuts as I've mostly eaten the store-made ones. Had the opportunity to try some Krispy Creme ones and they were delicious, but they're extremely expensive with prices starting at around £3 a piece.

Top Bottom