• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what jrpg are you playing right now ?

pbayne

Finished Odin Sphere
Not spending much time on each character certainly helps it a lot, liked it a lot more than murmasa. Solid game.

I am Setsuna
I quite like it so far, even though general impressions on it seem a bit low. Definitely has a snow snow snow snow everything is snow environment problem.

And about half way through DQ7 i think. Jesus this game is massive.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
All I can say, is that Disgaea PC has me by the balls!! It's my first Disgaea game and I can't put it down! My party is only up to around lvl 20, and the leveling is brutally slow for the first few episodes, but I finally got to that one stage in Ep5 that allowed me to boost my levels a bit.

Man, going from the Trails games to this is a total mind fuck. This games doesn't have a story nearly as good or deep as Trails in the Sky, but boy does it offer MUCH more in terms of gameplay. The battles are unlike anything else I've played. Crazy stuff.

Rodolink

Persona 4 Golden in my train trips to work, already got to the
Naoto
dungeon. My first time with the game really good one although by now is starting to feel repetitive
(as any good JRPG XD)

Sinople

Dragon Quest V again since I can't afford XI for now... :(
Both SFC and PS2 versions at the same time for comparison. Didn't realize the first time I played it but the later is far easier than the former. There's also some changes to the script and new scenes (e.g. Flora and her father on the boat at the beginning), so that's interesting to play them side by side.

Opa-Pa

Currently in love with FF12TZA, what an awesome game, can barely put it down. And also playing through Kingdom Hearts Final Mix HD at times.

KH1 is weird, I adore this game despite disliking most of the worlds in it lol. Currently enduring Deep Jungle.

Skulldead

Dragon Quest V again since I can't afford XI for now... :(
Both SFC and PS2 versions at the same time for comparison. Didn't realized the first time I played it but the later is far easier than the former. There's also some changes to the script and new scenes (e.g. Flora and her father in the boat at the beginning), so that's interesting to play them side by side.

I remember the Ps2 to be way easier then the orignal Snes. But the music on the ps2 version is so good ! that battle theme !

Sinople

I remember the Ps2 to be way easier then the orignal Snes. But the music on the ps2 version is so good ! that battle theme !
Yes, the music is great, which makes it all the more shameful that every new numbered entry since then is stuck to midi (in Japan, at least).

CLBridges

Almost took an extended break from gaming but nah! Playing FFXIV (as is tradition) and FFXII on PS4. Having a blast with 12, just unlocked second job for my party. All the improvements made with this remastered version has really made me appreciate the game even more.

I'm contemplating starting a second full playthrough of FFXV, undecided atm.

Played Earthbound for a little bit, now in the cave northwest of Onett town. It's ........ not very good? Maybe I set my expectation too high, but the game is a slog to play through. At least so far.

I've drifted away from both of these after a busy few weeks, but I'm still theoretically in the middle of Nier 1 and Mother 3. Nier has been surprisingly great so far considering its "bad game, great story" reputation, and Mother 3 is pretty much everything people have hyped it up to be. I'm still kind of busy so I need to focus on one to play through instead of trying to maintain two games at once.

Played Earthbound for a little bit, now in the cave northwest of Onett town. It's ........ not very good? Maybe I set my expectation too high, but the game is a slog to play through. At least so far.

It's the writing, OST, world and atmosphere where Earthbound shines, not the gameplay loop. But if that's not hooking you, I don't know what to say.

Opa-Pa

I'm fond of EB to an extent but it's honestly not that good and probably the weakest in the trilogy.

See this is what happens when people hype up RPGs for everything except their gameplay. It sucks.

CHC

Just got the DS version of Chrono Trigger to enjoy on my New 3DS XL.

I feel like an idiot because I had Chrono Trigger and an actual DS and I sold them like a year ago only to rebuy the game later for like 6 bucks more..... not a good investment haha....

Either way so excited to play the best version of the best RPG all over again.

Also stoked my 3DS with Virtual Console injects of some fan translations for some pretty obscure shit:

- Energy Breaker
- Treasure Hunter G
- Seiken Densetsu 3
- Dark Half
- Star Ocean 1

If anyone has played any of these and has recommendations I'm open to suggestions about which to prioritize.

(Hope it's OK to discuss these too, I know ROMs of games are a bit of a grey area but if these were available for some form of digital purchase in English I'd have been happy to shell out.)

How far am I into the tales of vesperia main story? I just got past the part
where the don seppukus and we got on the boat to find Judith

Labadal

Arc the Lad II and it is such a fun game. I played the first one a few years back but the second game just sat in my backlog. Currently making steady progress. Love the atmosphere and the soundtrack is awesome. I'm happy that I imported my save from the first game.

Szadek

I played FFXV for about 11 mintues before I had to stop, because it suck and I hate it.
So, I went back and played more SMT3 and FFXIITZA.

I'm about 6 hours into Tales of Berseria and I'm really enjoying it. The music and art-style really have me hooked. Can't speak too much of the combat system yet, but it seems fine. Can anyone comment on their preference between keyboard/mouse or controller? I've only played with kb/m so far, I'm wondering if the combo system might be more satisfying on a controller.

TheCed

I played FFXV for about 11 mintues before I had to stop, because it suck and I hate it.
So, I went back and played more SMT3 and FFXIITZA.

Wish I had understood that after 11 minutes.
But I lied to myself because I really wanted to like XV.

Just finished XIITZA and while the ending is not excellent, TZA is WAY better

I'm currently in
deep momentos
and appear to be very close to the end. I'll likely take another break from Persona after I finish a and do a platinum run in a few months.

I'll be moving on to Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and 2.5 immediately after.

kromeo

Just downloaded Trails of Cold Steel on steam.

I didn't like the 2 main characters and their awful romance in trails in the sky, it felt like it was hovering over the whole game like a cloud... I know a lot of people don't like the main character in cold steel but I'll give it a chance, I believe the combat is better at least?

Just finished DQ3 for the first time yesterday. Its like the Pokemon Gold Silver of the nes rpgs. Must have been amazing back in the day. Going through Dragon Quest 5 now. I chose Debora :D

m@cross

Tales of Heart R; not sure if I should have started this or Ys memories of Celceta. So far it is decent, a bit annoying with the random encounters, but actually somewhat entertaining characters and fun combat.

kromeo

If it's the game in thinking of then I think people were put off by the combat looking suspiciously similar to omega quintet

Fou-Lu

What are your options?

Not all your standard JRPG but...

Vita
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Riviera the Promised Land
Final Fantasy X-2
Knights in the Nightmare
Persona 2

3DS
SMT4
Devil Survivor Overclocked
Tales of the Abyss
Dragon Quest VII

kromeo

Vita
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy X-2
Knights in the Nightmare
Persona 2

3DS
SMT4
Tales of the Abyss
Dragon Quest VII

Tactics Ogre is the biggest masterpiece in that list of great games, it can be a huge time sink though

Labadal

Vita
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy X-2
Knights in the Nightmare
Persona 2

3DS
SMT4
Tales of the Abyss
Dragon Quest VII

All of those are great games. Tactics Ogre is brilliant.

Valkyrie Profile and Vagrant Story are my choices, though. Why? Not many games that play like them. They are amazing and unique.

Wichu

Currently playing Ar nosurge. The character designs are utter trash, with Nay and Prim as the worst offenders, and the game could have done without the creepy fanservice scenes near the beginning. At least Earthes looks cool.

But once you get past the garbage anime aspect, it's actually pretty good. The sci-fi story is interesting (especially with the
fourth wall breaking
stuff later on), the world's lore is pretty cool, and Genometrics is a fun way to add character development (if a bit heavy on the anime tropes). Earthes has hilarious dialogue options that I can't help picking, even though I'll probably miss out on proper conversations.

The battle system feels different just to be different. It almost works, but there aren't enough options to make it worth switching to a harder difficulty rather than just breezing through all the fights. Boss fights in particular could be better, as you can't Break the bosses so it just comes down to trading blows.

The soundtrack is pretty good, though that's to be expected. The vocal songs for some boss battles are standouts, and the normal battle themes and some of the overworld themes are also solid.

Finally, I nominate this game for Best Crafting Animations. I appreciate that different item types (and locations?) have unique animations.

Mezoly

I came back to Persona 5 after two months break from the game. The break has done wonders as I was burned out of the game after 70 hours and now I'm rejuvenated and appreciate the gameplay and art-style once more. I've already spent 13 hours since I went back, totaling 83 hours. I'm at the
6th
Palace and it might be my favorite one yet. The music is great and the gameplay trick is much less convoluted than the ones before it. Also the palace villain is much more different than before which makes it more interesting. I would say not worrying about sp due to items availability, accessories, and forced dungeon break up, makes dungeon crawling so much more fun.

If it's the game in thinking of then I think people were put off by the combat looking suspiciously similar to omega quintet

Wasn't the combat supposed to be the only good thing from the game??
I've watched a youtube review on this game and it seems decent but can get repetitive. Common problem for budget rpg to make the game longer.

I'm considering getting it, maybe during the Jrpg drought in October/November.

Vita
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile

Final Fantasy X-2
Knights in the Nightmare
Persona 2

3DS
SMT4
Tales of the Abyss
Dragon Quest VII

Bolded are mustplays

Vagrant Story is Yasumi Matsuno's masterpiece, criminally underappreciated and took forever to get iterated on partially.

Valkyrie Profile is tri-Ace at their zenith too, and again criminally underappreciated and took forever to get iterated on partially.

Tactics Ogre is more Matsuno Goodness

Knights in the Nightmare plays like NOTHING else. I miss Old Sting like I miss Old tri-Ace.

Persona 2 is half crap, half AMAZING. It goes places, man.

Top Bottom