• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What made you go PC only? Not a PC master race thread šŸ˜œ

Labadal

I haven't gone PC only, more line 70% PC, 30% consoles, but what draws me to PC is the ease of preservation, and the ability to mod my games. I have all my console games up to generation 7 backed up on HDDs for my PC.

(Publishers are doing their damnedest to make preservation as difficult as possible.)

Last edited:
Mods
Emulation
Multitasking e.g. Running an auto battle in Star Rail while also studying
Better graphics and performance
Can use the performance for other things like AI generation, making games, mining, video editing etc
Cheaper games
Customization of software and hardware

Last edited:

Puscifer

Free online, cheaper games, better graphics, keyboard and mouse. More importantly, the customization of it all!

My wooting 60he in a CNC machined aluminum case with a brass plate and terminal keycaps with my Logitech G Pro Xsuper light just makes gaming on it feel so damn wonderful

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBIā€™s Resident Gaslighter
Iā€™m about 90% PC and 10% consoles. The restrictions on consoles made me convert mostly to PC in 2013 or thereabouts.

After that, Xbox started porting their games Day 1 to PC which was one fewer reason to own one. Then PlayStation also began porting their games in 2020, another strike against consoles. Mind you, I still bought an Xbox One X and am planning to get a PS5 Pro but neither will be my primary gaming machine.

As for Nintendo, I like a lot of their games but they pretty much all play better on emulators. I still have a Switch and buy games for it semi-regularly.

Schmendrick

Raw power.
I always buy a console at the beginning of the gen just for those few exclusives (usually Sony). Mid-gen at the latest I switch to PC only because the console tech usually starts really showing its age by that time.
Since Sony is now bringing their exclusives to PC , too, I can finally skip consoles completely and play everything the way it`s meant to be played.

Last edited:

Celcius

Ā°Temp. member
Ever since I was a kid I was really into graphics and was always comparing them and enjoyed seeing the latest graphics.
Then I discovered PC gaming and then built my first PC in high school and really enjoyed it and PC has been my primary platform ever since.
I still play consoles too for the exclusives but otherwise it's PC for me.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
(I'm not 100% PC only because I still play some console exclusives, but...)

Cheaper games
Bigger variety of games
No paid multiplayer
Ultrawide resolutions
DRM free options

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Being 14 or so, having no money at all and inheriting my older bro's computer. :goog_relieved:

Wanted one since I was a little kid tho, watching my bros play stuff like Quake, Half-Life or Age of Empires sure made me want to have one. That, plus stuff like emulators or RPG Maker.

Later on, with my first salary, I managed to snatch a PS4. It was cool but I ended fed up of most games running like shit, so I went back to PC once I saved enough to get a proper gaming PC.

PD: I don't consider myself PC only, but "PC mostly". I still enjoy playing older console games on their original hardware, plus handhelds like the Vita or the 3DS.

Last edited:

rm082e

I am also 70/30 PC/PlayStation.

But it was the dogshit frame rates on consoles back in 2011/2012. I remember playing Borderlands on PS3, fighting spierants, zoomed in close with an SMG. Numbers were popping off the ass of the and really fast and it just turned into a slide show. Not to mention the resolution was crap and the whole experience just sucked.

Right around that time I heard the Giant Bomb guys talking about building a PC and hooking it up to the TV. I figured I would give it a shot. Once I saw Skyrim running flawlessly and with 3 second load times, it was all over.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Control. I like keyboard and mouse for almost all games, and being able to rebind my inputs, or disable settings like chromatic aberration or sharpening, or use mods to fix aspects of a game I don't like. I'm currently playing Mass Effect 2 with mining and hacking minigames disabled, since they got repetitive.

T-Cake

For me, it's the huge range of games encompassing unique titles going back years and years from all the consoles (except Nintendo). Also, generally the PC versions of games have the capability to look and play best. And finally, the games are much cheaper!

• Xbox and Playstation both releasing their first party titles on PC
  • Cheaper games
  • no paid online service
  • The reality that consoles weren't cutting it performance/visuals wise and never will
  • Huge breadth of mod support
  • Incredible emulation support
  • The ability to play literally all old games at 4k+/60fps+ w/ added HDR
  • Extensive VR support
  • I make decent money and gaming is my main hobby. Why not invest more into it to maximize my enjoyment with it?

I could go on and on, but long story short is it's the only way I ever want to play nowadays.

Last edited:

Larxia

- There is more freedom to do what you want. Everything is open and it's just such a different experience.
- There are a lot of games I prefer to play with mouse and keyboard.
- I want to be able to customize the graphic settings and framerate however I want. No motion blur, no chromatic aberration, no depth of field, no film grain etc... (I know games on consoles have started offering to turn off these options though, so that's good.)
- Nothing has to run below 60fps.
- No generations. You can play a game from any era without it feeling super dated because of its setting / resolution etc... It's a VERY different relation to games compared to consoles. Games on pc have a much longer life, they keep getting sold forever and you can jump to any "era" without thinking about it, it's just... games.
- Mods
- I use my PC for so many other things, it's convenient to play there too.
- Can use any devices you want.
- Cheaper games
- Free multiplayer

But it being more open and giving you more options and freedom is the biggest factor. Playing on PC gives you more choices on how you want to play your game.

Last edited:

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
Ain't none of you fake pc master race gamers got an original, working 3DFX VOODOO DIAMOND MONSTER ON A THE GREAT PYRAMID OF GIZA.
I am the authority here!
suwidgj.jpeg

That's not enough?
I have a 4 MEGABYTES s3 virge too. you are not topping that one.
bcV05rw.jpeg

That ain't doing it for games nowadays?
Put the SLOT-IN PENTIUM 2 DOWN YOUR THROAT
rbxUx9W.jpeg

Ok jokes aside, I would need to bring the pcs out of the basement... It's been 3 years since I took em out, who know it any of that still works. I have 3.5 working computers like this and ton of spare parts.
I really went hard 3-4 years ago tracking everything down and reassembling.
I am not saying the pc gaming was better back then but I was a kid and it was magical. Nowadays you know what I like. Just wanted to chime in with the classics here

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
There was a period of time in the 360 era where consoles were better and I played mostly on console, but before then and since then PC has simply offered a better experience. Mods, open platform, cheaper games, better graphics and framerate, better social functions, etc.

Now with steam deck giving me essentially a free handheld copy of all my games on a beautiful OLED I doubled down even more and Iā€™m not buying shit if itā€™s not on Steam.

Pimpollo818

I grew up on the SNES, I remember playing Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country. Eventually I'd get a N64 and experience my first Zelda titles, Mario 64, Starfox 64. Then came the Gamecube. I was so upset b/c my particular machine died early on and I only got to experience Luigi's Mansion and bits of Mario Sunshine, there was also that odd Starfox game where you were out of the plane. Then I got a PS2, I remember geeking over the Metal Gear Solid games, I remember asking my mom to please, please, please and go buy MGS3 day 1 for me. <3 thanks mum. I remember thinking frame rate dips were deliberate to add to the COOL FACTOR.

Then...after my PS2, I went to community college, got more serious about my education in general, then after college, built my first PC. My college dorm buddy had a PS3 so I got to play a few of those titles. I remember playing the multiplayer of Uncharted 2 a lot, and God of War 3.

When I built my PC I wanted to play all of the "PC Classics" I had missed out out: Fallout 1, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Thief, etc.

Since then, I haven't owned a console. And frankly I may never will. I've only had 2 gaming PCs, the first with the 670gtx and my 2nd with the 1080gtx. I'm thinking of getting my 3rd build next year 2025 when the nvidia 5 series comes out.

ssringo

Not "PC only" but at least 95% PC.

World of Warcraft was one of two reasons. I had started with Everquest but it was WoW that engulfed my free time. It was the only game I played for a few years and one of only a handful of games for a few years after. By the time I finally kicked the habit Steam had started to really take off. A few key indie titles were showing up and the big Dark Souls PC port was on the horizon. After that consoles were relegated to a handful of exclusives.

The other reason was that around the time I was getting into WoW I decided to "cut the cord" with cable tv and my PC/internet became the primary source of entertainment. So I was doing pretty much everything on a PC.

Last edited:
I've always spent most of my gaming time on PC.

I had a short lived experiment thinking the Series X was going to be my main gaming machine, I had bought CP77 and several other 3rd party for Series X.
I even bought the expensive 2TB expansion SSD (LIKE A FOOL). Thinking I was going to fill up the machine with games.

But then Starfield came out and I was so disappointed in that game and how poorly it played that I have thrown in the towel, Xbox is DONE.

I sold both the PS5 and the Series X the month that Starfield released. Blame Starfield that I am back on PC.
Bought me a new PC, I'm set.

I think I can wait for Sony games to come to PC eventually, if they don't then oh well.
I might get a PS5Pro when the library of supported exclusives gets large enough. I don't think that will happen though, just my prediction.

I'll most likely get a Switch 2. But really, I would drop that little system in a heartbeat if Nintendo started releasing games on PC, Or my Cell Phone.

100% console 0% PC

I've had pcs in the past but having no job and being disabled means I cannot afford one.

When I could, they would always get bsod after I spent a ton of money on them. No PC repair shop could fix the BSOD either.

After that point I gave up on pc gaming as I couldn't even play my PC games without issues.

I have a lifetime warranty on my video game consoles and TV so I'm good .

Wildebeest

I was burned too much by console hype cycles. Too many big releases that just didn't hold my interest at all. When I was into consoles, there were games like Mario 64, Rez, and Shadow of the Colossus which seemed really new and like nothing you could get on PC.

captainpat

PS3 was the last non-nintendo console I owned. By the time the ps4 was a thing I was making real money and could afford top tier gpus so games just played better on pc. Also, since the ps4/xbone gen console exclusives have become far less of a thing so having all my games on pc is just convenient.

Holammer

I used to be a "owns every console master race" (and PCs) up until the PS3 and it became my last console, technically I got a used PS4 dirt cheap, bought Bloodborne for it and played that for a bit (and only that), so I don't count it. Still waiting for that PC port.
I started drifting away and spending more time on the PC because Steam started getting super convenient and emulation was getting gud. Now I'm getting closer to 5k games owned on Steam and I'm completely invested in the platform.

raduque

Well, with Gamepass, there's no such thing as an XBox exclusive anymore. I don't need to buy an Xbox anymore, and if I wait long enough, I really won't need a Playstation anymore either. PC games are generally more customizable than console games as well.

Price. $500+ for a console that's been out for 5 years is goofy. I remember when the entire marketing for a system launch could be summed up in the words "299", followed by aggressive annual cuts. This is like Nintendo level pricing strategy but for everyone. And the savings are only compounded by deeply discounted digital sales and bundles. I'll just buy one machine that does other entertainment, productivity, etc., rather than burning money on consoles.

Genres. I like RTS, management/tycoon, grand strategy, and other types of games that are more prominent on PC. I'll still play things like platformers, but they are not my preference.

Last edited:
I've been on a mix of PC + consoles since around 2008, always with PC as a secondary machine. But after Sony started putting their games on PC they made it a easy choice for me to go PC only. Software is king and I have access to almost all games in one platform.

Leonidas

Higher resolution
Higher frame-rate
Epic Games free games permanantly in librabry > paying money on PS+ Extra/Game Pass and losing access to all the games
Game Bundles
More controller options (KB/m, gamepad, etc.)
Steam Deck to take my library with me

Hohenheim

90% PC here.
The freedom, mods, better performance, cheaper games, free online, not worrying about "backwards compatible", emulation..
Well, it's just better.

I can play Wind Waker with a Playstation or Xbox controller.
I can play Alan Wake 2 in 60fps / 4K.
I can play Elden Ring on my desktop, then continue the same game on a train on my steamdeck/Rog Ally etc.

I also like having a console, but it's mostly used as a Netflix/TV-show streaming machine.

GymWolf

better performance
better graphic
controller choice
lower games price

I still have a ps5 and switch for the few interesting exclusives.

Growing up I didn't have that much money so I didn't really have any consoles for quite a bit. So I mostly played my games on the PC for my dad's work, I did play the nes, SNES, Genesis at my friend's house but I never really could afford them. I didn't really get my own until the Game boy Color, Then I got a PSone and then I moved to Xbox. I pretty much stayed on the exclusively on the Xbox up until this gen (I do have a series X) but The lack of games (And honestly I was a Microsoft Fanboy but they have been burning me over the years ) made me move towards PC now again. I bought a steam deck and I went from having only 200 games on Steam (because of Humble bundle) to now having almost 1600 games in a year and a half. It's just the cost mostly for me. I got Resident evil 4 deluxe day one for even cheaper than the base game. It's mostly price for me.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamerā„¢
Multiple reasons.

Instead of buying three consoles all of the time, I could focus on one platform with unbeatable backwards compatibility. Better yet I no longer had to pay to play online.

The power and performance was outclassing consoles.

I was researching to possibly build a PC for the first time, but got cold feet and bought the Xbox One. Microsoft announced all of their games would be coming to PC, and that was it. Sold it off and hit MicroCenter.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Started with a 48k spectrum and have been PC pretty much ever since. Consoles have always felt restrictive and expensive across the lifetime of ownership.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I love basically I finite legacy support. Turning on one box and having access to games from every generation is ultimately an unbelievable sell.

I love technology and SW/HW advancements in gaming. Being here to test all the new engines and push our expensive HW to the limits is great.

It's great knowing we have the power of a PS6 or 7 already in our hands. This is still one of the most interesting periods in time when it comes with graphical advancements and new implementations of rendering techniques. Most exciting since the mid 90s push into 3d boxes.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
always had both PC and consoles. PC has had it up and down years. I remember at one time during the voodoo years there was all the sega games, FF7, and metal gear. tha was a fun time to be into pc gaming.

Sgt.Asher

Not entirely pc, still have a switch. There isn't anything sony or Microsoft i find interesting, so no need to get those consoles.

dcx4610

I grew up on a PC so I was used to it being my all in one entertainment system. Once ports started getting good, there was really no reason to go back to consoles outside of exclusives.

I prefer the intimate experience experience of sitting in a chair in front of a monitor vs. a couch and TV for some reason.

Sentenza

What I'm even supposed to need a console for, especially at this point in time?

And to be clear, I did (and still do) own more than one. I just have little use for them, spare the occasional dip in some (now timed) exclusive.

I just like everything about the PC experience more. The flexibility, power, the freedom to choose how to play, trying some occasional modding, play entire genres that barely even show up on consoles, pick my control scheme of choice on a game-by-game basis, etc.

I mean, to this day the thing I miss the most about my PS4 Pro since it died during a thunderstorm is that it was very comfortable to browse TV services like YouTube, Netflix etc compared to the smart TV remote...

Last edited:
Top Bottom