• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What made you go PC only? Not a PC master race thread šŸ˜œ

lockdown2222

Neo Member
I grew up on it in the 90s and had incredible communities of gamers and friends that hadnā€™t yet even developed within the console world yet. Consoles were just attempting to game online for the first time while the PC had done this for decades. It was awesome back then. Unreal Tournament and Counterstrike communities were amazing back then.

BloodborneHat3r

Neo Member
My 1000k Steam and ~100 retro backlog, I don't care if a really good game is exclusive to consoles or Epic Games Store. I still have a ton of good games and not enough time. I gotta learn Street Fighter 6, finish Yakuza games, start Resident Evil series...

I didn't care for any of the console exclusives and loved the freedom of PC to mod, tweak graphics, get higher framerates and preferred mouse over thumbsticks. It was also fun in and of itself building PCs, getting the parts shipped and arriving is like a mini Christmas every time, it's just an overall better version of the hobby if you aren't some burnt out dude who only has the energy to plop down on a couch and pickup a controller.

SHA

After PS3 and Wii U:
-Never been a fan of Xbox controller, so no One/Series
-Switch was too underpowered for my liking
-Never cared enough for PS4
-Paid online was a factor on principle alone even though I'd rarely use it

I might still get a PS5. Performance modes alone are huge for me.
There's nothing wrong being old-school, buy every game on release date, that's the gold standard.

I've been on and off PC gaming most of my life, until I got a full time job and a steady income. I made the switch and permanently stayed to PC. I've mainly played on Xbox. I've got no plans to move back to console. Ever.

-Better choice of games.
-Regular sales & discouints.
-Better visuals and higher frame rate. 60FPS feels like a slog after playing 144+ for years.
-Mouse and keyboard is king for shooters and strategy games.
-Freedom to use any controller I want
-More options, can freely adjust FOV or other graphic settings to my liking.
-Mods. I've been playing SWAT 4 with Special Elite Forces mod. Adds tons of quality of live improvements and makes it play like a modern shooter.
-Reshade. I can change visuals with most games, Dying Light has got this awful orange looking tint which I hated. I downloaded a preset for cooler & natural looking colours.
-Trainers/Cheat engines. If I can save a few hours of grinding with a few clicks. I will. Made MGSV much enjoyable now that my upgrade to weapons, mother base in an instant. (Don't use cheats in online, you're scum if you do)
-No subscription to play online or access cloud saves.
-My library of games are not tied to a specific hardware. I can play them regardless of what hardware is inside the case, there are plenty of mods out there that can make older games run with ease.
-Emulation. Can play any generation of console I want with all the bells & whistles such as increased resolution, better visuals and custom patches.
-Multimonitor support.
-If anything breaks, I can easily replace the parts.
-My PC can be used more things than gaming.

Last edited:
I only ever owned consoles because they had games that weren't on PC. That's no longer the case for the most part, and all the remaining exclusives tend to be of the AAA blockbuster variety, which is a segment of the market I've completely lost interest in. On top of that I mostly play indies and older games these days, so consoles wouldn't even be an option, really.

I've also never felt like I actually "owned" my digital games on console. Stores for older consoles won't stay up forever, and games can get removed at a moment's notice. The fact that games like Super Mario Maker and LittleBigPlanet are all about letting players create their own levels but then don't give them the option to easily preserve them locally is just nuts. Everything the fans ever made gone, just because they shut down the servers. I've been making my own levels and maps for games since the days of Warcraft II and Doom, and I still have all of them saved, ready to be played at any time on my current PC, so this just seems absolutely insane to me.

Sure, a game could disappear from Steam as well, but on PC there's always a way to get that game back. Hell, in some cases that's even true for MMOs and other multiplayer-only games. I could play Star Wars Galaxies, Warhammer Online or Asheron's Call right now if I wanted to, even though they all got shut down years ago.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

moved from ps2 to PC only.
reasons
- emulation
- modding
- RTS games, Myst
- like keyboard mouse controls far better then controller
- online gaming which basically was next level gaming experience, single player games where boring in comparison, which didn't exist on consoles.

Last edited:

Braag

I like building my own gaming rig.
I like the sheer power I can add into it, playing games at high resolution and high frames, not having to choose one or the other.
I like modding, being able to change a thing about a game I don't like (recently played Kingdom Come and first thing I modded was disable schnapps for saving).
Also Steam is easily the best storefront out there and I wouldn't change it for anything else.

DanEON

Controller support on Steam. I love to play games with gyro aim, and I can do it with almost every game on PC.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

• Higher Graphics fidelity
  • Higher frames, yo
  • Don't have to pay for online
  • Can play everything on one central unit (From the past to the present)
  • Personalize it almost anyway you want
  • Cheaper games
  • Enjoyed watching PCMR call people peasants (Still the funniest thing I've ever heard)

M0G

Everybody used to have a computer in their bedroom for schoolwork etc... Just turns out they were also better games machines than those things in front of the TV, downstairs.

hinch7

Not gone PC only, as there are exclusives on other platforms but PC will always be my main. Though as time goes on there's less and less reasons to own a console; with most of the big games I care for getting day 1 or eventual ports. And with the lack of and less exclusive-exclusives, I've hardly touches any of my consoles this generation.

I'll get the PS6 and it'll be my Final Fantasy box, but thats about it lol.

Last edited:

Zacillac

Neo Member
I basically don't have time for most of my games these days, so knowing everything will still be there no matter when I decide to pick it up (and not hardware dependent) is a huge plus. That at SteamDeck becoming one of my main places of being able to play these days.

Fredrik

I still use Switch occasionally butā€¦

Playstation games are on Steam
Xbox games are on Steam
Better performance and graphics
Modding possibility
Can choose the hardware/performance myself

The inability for the Xbox one and PS4 to deliver 1080p 6 60fps . I saw the writing on the wall with Xbox putting games on PC and made my own Xbox. So happy to see that I was right and now I get all Xbox games on my PC day one. PS, please take notes.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I just finished my weekend shopping at Costco and came across this. PCMR. explain yourselves šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

2MfiQZv.jpeg

I just finished my weekend shopping at Costco and came across this. PCMR. explain yourselves šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

2MfiQZv.jpeg
It's a nice machine all the budget went into the CPU and maybe the SSD tho. A $999 rig with a 4060 is pretty good tho for a prebuilt, you gotta remember hardware companies make money by selling HW they aren't Valve or console makers they have no store or pay 2 online subscription.

That 14700F runs circles around the PS5 Pro it's not even close.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
It's a nice machine all the budget went into the CPU and maybe the SSD tho. A $999 rig with a 4060 is pretty good tho for a prebuilt, you gotta remember hardware companies make money by selling HW they aren't Valve or console makers they have no store or pay 2 online subscription.

That 14700F runs circles around the PS5 Pro it's not even close.

Hmmm, how many circles you reckon for the 8gb 4060???

Mortisfacio

I grew up on Blizzard games so always was kind of PC first, but once I started getting high end GPUs and mods, I was hooked. At this point I mostly just don't see a point for consoles for me. If I want to play on the bed/couch and on a TV I can, if I want to play on my desk/monitor I can, Steam is IMO the best service for games, get the best visuals and realistically get every game I want. The only game in the last decade I enjoyed I still can't play on PC is Bloodborne. 1 game in 10 years is not worth a console for me.

I've been PC gaming since 96 or so, but I prefer consoles in general. A whole and dedicated device/package. But for first person games and other types more suited for PC, like RTS etc of course I default to PC. I play a lot of older PC games. I can't see ever abandoning my older consoles even if the market moves away from me.

liquidzr0

Neo Member
Seemed like the logical step to take at some point. Consoles are great (own a Switch and PS5) for what they are but PC has so many more options. Built my first PC in 2018

I still have a PS5 and sometimes play on it for the exclusives, but for multiplatform releases the PS5 can just not compete with my last year build PC.

Also I am an older gamer (42) and not really many games interest me anymore. I last played FFVII Rebirth and really loved it and currently play Dave the Diver, but after that I want to work on some of my backlog and for that nothing beats the PC game pass. Here in Japan itā€™s only 750 JPY per month (around 5 USD) per month, so not having it, is a crime.

Mr Hyde

I have PC as a side hustle as I still prefer consoles. PC has some neat advantages though. I like that the fan community puts out fixes and patches to some games that doesn't work correctly. As an example, I've installed a patch of Silent Hill Homecoming that makes the game run in 4k 60. FF 9 has a mod that's called Moguri Mod that cleans up the backgrounds, have orchestrated music and much more detailed character models. Looks vastly better than the Switch-version and its awful low res backgrounds. Then you have the mods like Seeker of Fire to Dark Souls 2 that overhauls the entire game and makes it even better. It's things like that which makes PC gaming so great.

Last edited:

flying_sq

I'm a tinkerer by nature, so building PCs and messing around with them is enough of a reason alone. Plus I like the freedom of choice for graphics vs performance rather than a generally accepted target.

XXL

I play on PC and consoles (I own everything).

PC is just by far the best place to play older games.

For example right now, I'm playing Max Payne 3 on Steam. Max Payne was like $6 or something like that on a Steam sale.

Max Payne 3 running at a super high frame rate and maxed out (no pun intended) is nothing short of sensational and literally obliterates most shooters on the market today.

Another great example is Assassins Creed Unity (bought for $7). This one really surprised me.

Holy shit that game is absolutely amazing maxed out with a high frame rate (Ubi were actually trying back then) and in comparison, it runs at like 25fps on the consoles it released on.

It's actually pretty crazy, its actually much more impressive (even visually) in alot of ways to any of the recent AC games. If you told someone it was a current gen game, they would believe you. It's cool being able to resurrect a old gem like that and really see it for its full potential years later.

So yeah, it's the best place to experienced games you missed or didn't really appreciate at the time for a low cost of entry and high reward.

That's personally my favorite thing about PC gaming and a console just doesn't compare in that regard.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I mean well, it is the ultimate platform. Choke full of classic games to brand new games, even emulations allowing you to play retro console games that cannot be feasibly purchased legally anymore.

Not to mention the modern console games, the PS3/360 games, PC exclusive titles, uncensored mods etc

lachesis

I am not PC only person - has always been open to any. Itā€™s the games that I play now a days often available as better on PC. Like a lot of Capcom/Sega games - as well as many JRPGs which I play the most.

While the difference is often negligible when it comes to Japanese games between consoles and PC - but just the fact that my life ā€œrequiresā€ a PC and itā€™s harder to ā€œjustifyā€ a console these days as many games are already on PC -is basically driving me to PC/Nintendo path, and thatā€™s the truth for me.

Boneless

Childhood.

Also, my ps5 sucks, the games suck and every time I play something on it I wish I was on my PC.

PC is just so much better, mainly because it's not just a machine for gaming, I can alt tab and go on discord, watch youtube, architect my house, whatever.

Fredrik

That's one of very few non-PC games I would buy a console for without doubt.
I got motion sick from playing it with all that inconsistent stutter on PS4, could never get used to it. But if they make a proper remake like Demonā€™s Souls I would probably dust off my PS5 and power it up one more time to play that instead of waiting however long for a PC port. Would never buy a new console to play it though, like if PS5 Pro was needed for 60fps. No interest then, no single game is that good.

Hohenheim

I got motion sick from playing it with all that inconsistent stutter on PS4, could never get used to it. But if they make a proper remake like Demonā€™s Souls I would probably dust off my PS5 and power it up one more time to play that instead of waiting however long for a PC port. Would never buy a new console to play it though, like if PS5 Pro was needed for 60fps. No interest then, no single game is that good.
I'd probably struggle with the frame issues now as well. But at release I was not that "spoiled" with high, stable FPS so it was fine for me back then.
Would definitly buy a PS6 only for a remake of it.

MikeM

I play on PC and consoles (I own everything).

PC is just by far the best place to play older games.

For example right now, I'm playing Max Payne 3 on Steam. Max Payne was like $6 or something like that on a Steam sale.

Max Payne 3 running at a super high frame rate and maxed out (no pun intended) is nothing short of sensational and literally obliterates most shooters on the market today.

Another great example is Assassins Creed Unity (bought for $7). This one really surprised me.

Holy shit that game is absolutely amazing maxed out with a high frame rate (Ubi were actually trying back then) and in comparison, it runs at like 25fps on the consoles it released on.

It's actually pretty crazy, its actually much more impressive (even visually) in alot of ways to any of the recent AC games. If you told someone it was a current gen game, they would believe you. It's cool being able to resurrect a old gem like that and really see it for its full potential years later.

So yeah, it's the best place to experienced games you missed or didn't really appreciate at the time for a low cost of entry and high reward.

That's personally my favorite thing about PC gaming and a console just doesn't compare in that regard.

Have to agree. My favourite thing about PC is how good it feels to play older games. Currently playing Fallout 4 at max, full 4k 120fps with autoHDR, Spiderman Remastered at 4k (a bit of upscaling) with high RT at about 90-110fps, and Dying Light 1 at full 4k 120fps ultra settings. Slaps anything offered on consoles and for me, is the biggest pro of the platform.

Fredrik

I'd probably struggle with the frame issues now as well. But at release I was not that "spoiled" with high, stable FPS so it was fine for me back then.
Would definitly buy a PS6 only for a remake of it.
No game is good enough by itself imo, I need a number of high quality titles. And theyā€™re porting the exclusives one after another now so they lost me at least as a hardware customer. But I still buy their games on Steam.
Nintendo still have their hw claws in me.

dolabla

I've been basically PC only since I built my first rig last year. It's pretty incredible what you can do on PC. I've been playing so many older games with mods that bring them up to modern standards. Max Payne 1-2, Simpsons Hit and Run in 4k, Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition and Silent Hill 3, Resident Evil 1-3 with HD mods, etc. It's just absolutely amazing the freedom of what you can do on PC.

Thaedolus

I canā€™t go PC only because of Nintendo. Sony and MS exclusives I can either wait for on PC, or have Gamepass for, but Nintendo exclusives I tend to want day 1.

Otherwise, I got a Steam Deck and a powerful rig and a 20 year old Steam account, so if I can get something on PC thatā€™s where I want to play it.

Top Bottom