• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What old games (think gameplay) that doesn’t exist anymore would do well with today’s graphics?

Fuz

Banned
Sacrifice

sacrifice-video-game-b7b045cd-c154-4956-a785-aefbac39351-resize-750.jpeg

Last edited:

CamHostage

Splinter Cell of course
Actually, maybe not? It's an easy recc, but Splinter Cell mechanically works often as sort of an action-puzzler, where you read the lighting of the rooms and watch enemy routes to look for weak spots in security to hide or trap. They baked lighting in to create scenarios that are challenging and fun by directorial design. Make the lighting real (or add smarter AI) and I would think you run the risk of breaking the mechanics.

Splinter Cell has evolved over time (and its rival Metal Gear was even more stringent in its gameboard layout yet it managed to transition into more organic play systems and enemy challenges, ) so it's not impossible, but I'm not sure the things people like best about SC get better with better tech?

Could look prettier, for sure though.

Last edited:

Corian33

Thought of another one. Everyone is gaga over FF16 having that active lore thing. I remember Ogre Battle 64 having something like that you could look at from the menu. So, I say a new Ogre Battle 64 type game. Mostly because I loved that game.

Could also incorporate whatever lessons were learned from those 3 months when auto-battlers were the new hotness, since the combat was kinda like that.

Trilobit

Ski Or Die DOS
ski-or-die-02.gif

I had a blast with it and would like to see it modernized. Technically it consists of several minigames, but they were each complicated enough to pose a good challenge.

Tomba! 1 & 2 PS1
Tomba-2-screenshot-3.jpg

Platform/Adventure/Puzzle(?)/RPG-elements gameplay was very entertaining. I liked how challenging and rewarding it could be and really made you think and mull over the solution to each event. I'd love a game like this with modern aesthetics and graphics.

Last edited:

sachos

My vote goes for arcade racers in general, think PS2 style of variety from realistic to arcadey and variety of vehicles with great split screen support. Next gen water racing games with Sea of Thieves water tech!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
2D top down sports games - Speedball 2, Sensi soccer. 4K res would really do wonders for them.
Edit: turns out speedball 2 HD is actually a thing.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Actually, maybe not? It's an easy recc, but Splinter Cell mechanically works often as sort of an action-puzzler, where you read the lighting of the rooms and watch enemy routes to look for weak spots in security to hide or trap. They baked lighting in to create scenarios that are challenging and fun by directorial design. Make the lighting real (or add smarter AI) and I would think you run the risk of breaking the mechanics.

Splinter Cell has evolved over time (and its rival Metal Gear was even more stringent in its gameboard layout yet it managed to transition into more organic play systems and enemy challenges, ) so it's not impossible, but I'm not sure the things people like best about SC get better with better tech?

Could look prettier, for sure though.
I understand your concern over the lighting but I dont think adding realtime GI would effect gameplay as long as the lighting artists took a little more time to fine tune where the shadows land and then maybe made additonal adjustments via Trigger voulmes ect. Also since SCB the use of shadows for hiding has been forced to share the limelight with more daytime levels and Line of sight gameplay more akin to MGS. There is room for mixing both styles. Its also noteworthy that Ubisoft announced last year that the SCRemake would be using raytracing for lighting which Im assuming is referring to GI. To bad we didnt get a glimpse of it at Ubisoft's conference.

As far as AI gos as a long time Operation Flashpoint/Arma player I can confirm how tedious full realism can be. As long as players have the ability to choose a difficulty level for the AI then I dont see a problem since it would be up to them to decide where they want to land on the Arcadey vs Realism spectrum. My personal wish for the whole gaming industry in general is to drop easy med hard diffuculty modes all together and all those FOMO achievements and incorporate OFP style difficulty menu in which you can move a bunch of sliders to custom decide on where you want the difficulty to reside in the game. Just the ability to remove bullet sponges from every game would be a god send for me. So many games skipped by me for that single reason.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Pretty much every major PSX & PS2 release, PSX is in more need and would benefit the most.

Top Bottom