• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Summer TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
Okay, so halfway through Le Bureau des Légendes.

The fear of having resorted to hyperbole in my last post (especially re: the Rubicon comparison) have subsided, the show really is that good.
Mathieu Kassovitz is (unsurprisingly) great in the main role and the writing, the production values and the rest of the cast is all on point. Sure, I wouldn't say no to some more flair in the direction, but that just feels excessive and petty to complain about.
I did skip the most obvious (but superficial) comparison the show has, which is Homeland. But that is because it doesn't feel like Homeland (not even the good season 1 Homeland), it has much more in common with Rubicon and The Honourable Woman/The Shadow Line. And these aren't comparisons I make lightly, those are some of my absolute favourite shows. If this sticks the landing it will join that company.
Can't recommend it highly enough so far, especially if you like spy fiction. Shame that it has only aired in France and Sweden as of writing.

And since I apparently am having a French spy fiction week, I also checked out A Very Secret Service (available on Netflix in multiple regions!).
Here the comparisons are way easier; If you watched (and liked) the OSS 117 films starring Jean Dujardin you'll like this one. If you haven't seen the OSS 117 films but like things like Archer, then you should watch them and then watch this show.
Created by one of the writers of OSS 117, A Very Secret Service is tremendously stupid in that particular charming way that won't stop putting a smile on your face. I adore it.

So two for two France.

berzeli

Banned
Really want to watch this, but cant find any version with English subs yet.
That would be because there isn't one.

It might get picked up for a UK release soon-ish, which is what happened with Les Revenants. That show also got its first international (or at least non French speaking) showing in Sweden. I can't see it getting ignored for ever, if nothing else Mathieu Kassovitz should be a big enough name to warrant some attention.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That would be because there isn't one.

It might get picked up for a UK release soon-ish, which is what happened with Les Revenants. That show also got its first international (or at least non French speaking) showing in Sweden. I can't see it getting ignored for ever, if nothing else Mathieu Kassovitz should be a big enough name to warrant some attention.

Yeah, I mean, who hasn't heard of Mathieu Kassovitz??

Speaking of French series, I watched season 2 of The Tunnel and it did not live up to its ambitious scope. Stephen Dillane and Clemence Poesy were solid (seeing Stannis as a loving father who makes bad jokes all the time is so strange) but there was just too much stuffed into only 8 episodes. From the Scandinavian original series I was used to simply going along with all the weird shit happening as it would come together towards the end but here more plots emerged.

faridmon

I watched the first Episode of Roadies and yeah, its kind of rubbish. On the plus side, you can tell there is a lot of money poured into the project. Quite few prominent actors being hired, Musicians being called in, The soundtrack seems extensive and hugely edited. Nifty Camerawork and decent set-pieces and stunts.

The problem is that the setting, what happens and the character interaction seems poorly directed and leads to cringe-ey writing. There was one scene where Imogen poots was having a go at Andrew Scott (who was being an ass and fake about his love for music) and conveniently he gave her a handkerchief to wipe out remaining of a cake i her cheeks, implying there will be a romance blooming between the two. the whole scene felt contrived and straight with no build up or even a rime for hwy it was happening.

There were alot of scenes that reeked of cliches and just poor storytelling (A manager sleeping with a young fan at the start of the show *rolls eyes*) and there is barely any character building. The whole show just doesn't have any charm to it.

Oh it doesn't help the fact that none of these characters are likable. (Maybe except for that Hipster dude)

- ‘American Horror Story’, ‘Atlanta’ & Better Things’ Get FX Premiere Dates
FX has unveiled premiere dates for Season 6 of its anthology series American Horror Story along with a pair of freshman comedies. The return of AHS, which last week got a teaser logo but has yet to reveal the title or theme for next season, will bow Wednesday, September 14, preceded by Atlanta on Tuesday, September 6, and Better Things on Thursday, September 8. All will air at 10 PM.

berzeli

Banned
Final post on Le Bureau des Légendes:

That sure was sticking the landing. Jesus.

(Will post as soon as I hear of it getting aired in other countries.)

- ‘High Maintenance’ Comedy Series Gets Fall Premiere Date On HBO
HBO has confirmed the premiere date for its new comedy series High Maintenance. The six-episode series will debut on Friday, September 16 at 11 PM.

EDIT:

Paolo Sorrentino’s ‘The Young Pope’ TV Series to World Premiere at Venice Film Festival
Paolo Sorrentino’s hotly anticipated TV series “The Young Pope,” toplining Jude Law as conservative cigarette-smoking American pontiff Pius XIII, will world premiere at the upcoming Venice Film Festival where the first two episodes will screen.

The “Pope” Lido launch will precede the three-pronged Sky, HBO and Canal Plus production’s October air date on Sky’s Sky Atlantic channel in the five countries in which the pan-European pay-TV operates. They are: Italy, UK, Germany, Ireland and Austria. In France it will go out on Canal Plus. Other dates, including the U.S. bow on HBO, will follow.
October air date in Europe still stands for The Young Pope. No word on when that'll air on HBO.

So Berlin Station finally got some footage, other than the underwhelming teaser trailer. Richard Armitage looks great, also looks to be great in his role.
Firstly a brief (and redundantly named) clip of the show:
Berlin Station: First Look at Berlin Station
And a better trailer:
Berlin Station: Daniel's Mission

Starts 16th of October on Epix (which apparently is a channel or something?).

Yes, Epix is a premium channel [set] that focuses on movies. IIRC they get their stuff from Lionsgate, MGM, and Paramount. They're not really big yet, (or popular) but they are trying to break into original programming more.

http://www.epix.com

Can't wait for Berlin Station though. It looks pretty interesting.

Paolo Sorrentino’s ‘The Young Pope’ TV Series to World Premiere at Venice Film FestivalOctober air date in Europe still stands for The Young Pope. No word on when that'll air on HBO.

Wow so this *is* coming to HBO. I was a fool for thinking they were in trouble once Game of Thrones finishes its run...

I love HBO's content so much. A new movie every Saturday, tons of great documentaries, half the time on stuff you might not get to know about, a bunch of really interesting miniseries, and a strong (and varied) movie catalog, great talk shows, and they also do stand-up comedy, too... Such a great channel. Now for them to focus on more than just a strong Sunday night and look to other days in the week.

berzeli

Banned
Trailers/clips of upcoming Amazon shows:
One Mississippi - looks great. Amazon seems to do these comedies very well. Airs 9/9/16.
Goliath Teaser Trailer - On the other hand they still seem incapable of not doing generic looking prestige dramas. Airs 10/14/16.
Transparent Season 3 Official Trailer - Still looks like the best show on Amazon. Airs 9/23/16.
Crisis in Six Scenes (aka that Woody Allen show) Sneak Peek - Looks decent enough (and very much like a Woody Allen thing). Airs 9/30/16.
Fleabag Official Trailer - Seems like a nice UK import, got a fairly warm reception when it aired there, and if nothing else Olivia Colman is always amazing. Airs 9/16/16.

fake edit: so I checked out The Guardian's review of Fleabag:
Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s sitcom is full of people who are defeated and unlikable – including her own character who masturbates to Barack Obama speeches.
I'm in.

TripOpt55

What do you guys think have been the best new shows this summer? My favorites have been Stranger Things, The Night Of and Last Chance U, but I was curious if there were any other can't miss new shows. I've also been watching Any Given Wednesday (which is pretty fun particularly when Bill does the one on one interviews, loved the Rodgers one), Preacher (kind of middling overall I thought, but I think I'll come back for Season 2) and Vice Principals (only watched the first two episodes and wasn't too impressed, but I will try some more at some point).

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
What do you guys think have been the best new shows this summer? My favorites have been Stranger Things, The Night Of and Last Chance U, but I was curious if there were any other can't miss new shows. I've also been watching Any Given Wednesday (which is pretty fun particularly when Bill does the one on one interviews, loved the Rodgers one), Preacher (kind of middling overall I thought, but I think I'll come back for Season 2) and Vice Principals (only watched the first two episodes and wasn't too impressed, but I will try some more at some point).

The Night Of is my current favorite. Gave me a reason to keep my HBO subscription.

I didn't watch as much this summer as I had hoped. AMC really should have just given us a straight run of Fear the Walking Dead because I forgot that show existed. I could see just skipping the second half and waiting for the main series.

I'm excited for season 3 of Halt and Catch Fire, if that counts as a summer show.

3 episodes intro Mr. Robot and I'm torn. Rami Malek is great and the hacking stuff is cool, but it's missing something to pull me into it. I don't know, but I keep hearing good things about it though so I will push through.

Pachimari

I haven't watched much of this summer's shows but I have started Stranger Things, Outcast and The Night Of and all of them seem to be good so far. I have mostly been catching up with superhero shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Stranger Things is my official Show of the Summer™, with The A Word being the runner up.

Not much else has really struck me like those two. Preacher was interesting, but uneven; The Night Of is competent, but cliched; Vice Principals is a mixed bag - some of it is very funny and some of it just plays like a rehash of Eastbound and Down; Outcast was decent, and moderately spooky, but didn't end up feeling like it amounted to much.

I can't think of anything else of note that was new this summer.

chadskin

Finished Stranger Things and Last Chance U, both were great. Otherwise I'm watching Hard Knocks and waiting for The Night Of and Halt & Catch Fire S03 to conclude so I can binge those.

It's too bad they moved Shooter to the fall, would've liked to check this one out as well.

KonradLaw

Outcast, Stranger Things and Night Manager have been the standouts for me this year.
I also enjoyed Preacher, altough it jumped in quality a lot from episode to episode. Some of them were pretty meh, while others have blown me away.

I'm waiting for Quarry though. This could end up the best new show of summer.

ozhenson

Just watched what I'm assuming was the season finale of Dead of Summer. Overall I enjoyed it, more so than Scream actually.

Fleabag Official Trailer - Seems like a nice UK import, got a fairly warm reception when it aired there, and if nothing else Olivia Colman is always amazing. Airs 9/16/16.

fake edit: so I checked out The Guardian's review of Fleabag:

I'm in.

Fleabag is incredible. It's dirty, funny, emotional and but most importantly it's quite raw and real. It's quite unlike a lot of other shows, particularly from its one-woman show roots, it's a short series but it packs a hell of a punch. Olivia Colman plays a perfect bitchy woman, and there's a really emotional scene of note with Hugh Dennis (Outnumbered). Phoebe Waller-Bridge is an incredibly talented writer/performer. Do 100% check it out, but as it's quite short be wary of reading any reviews past episode 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom