• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the Gaming Industry Looks Like Today

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
BbfTbwL.png

Confused Video Game GIF by Far Cry 6

mystech

So in other words we really need A LOT more new developers in the industry who are willing to take risk and who will remain private rather than selling out to one of the big guys or relying on public investors.

So in other words we really need A LOT more new developers in the industry who are willing to take risk and who will remain private rather than selling out to one of the big guys or relying on public investors.
While I am not opposed too seeing new publishers and devs who are willing to take risks, the issue still remains the same. Video games are just too expensive now to make, it's extremely difficult to be testing the waters. If your first game tanks, then good bye to your company.

It's a nice pretty picture, but the circle sizes indicating head counts kinda renders this a bit useless.

It would have been much more interesting if they did it with the circle sizes based on studio and publisher revenues.

Interesting graph.

When you think Bungie have 4-5 games on the go, and their small size on there, then the scale must be off dramatically for a lot of studios.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's a nice pretty picture, but the circle sizes indicating head counts kinda renders this a bit useless.

It would have been much more interesting if they did it with the circle sizes based on studio and publisher revenues.
I would think more people would find the organization of the industry to be more interesting than how much money their favorite corporations extract from people.

Hot5pur

I think the current state of the industry is a minefield for the consumer.
Early access tax, microtransaction currencies in $70 games, no clarity in terms of what is paid vs. unlocked, battle passes, season passes.
It's so exhausting, I understand they need to show growth and make revenue but most of the time they are just playing psychological games with the consumer rather than generating actual value.

Kadve

I think the current state of the industry is a minefield for the consumer.
Early access tax, microtransaction currencies in $70 games, no clarity in terms of what is paid vs. unlocked, battle passes, season passes.
It's so exhausting, I understand they need to show growth and make revenue but most of the time they are just playing psychological games with the consumer rather than generating actual value.
The industry is currently transitioning. The GAAS market is satiated and its pretty much impossible to make a profitable new game in it. Everyone is waiting to pounce for the next big thing and are the meantime playing it "safe".

Sanepar

MS plan is simple and their e-mails confirm that: lock enough content to put Sony out of console business. Who doesn't understand that are dumb.

Top Bottom