• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What The Hell Happened To MAG, And Where The Hell Is MAG 2?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Whatever happens or doesn’t happen with MAG going forward, it’ll always be a game that is remembered fondly by those that really gave it a chance way back in 2010. It was ambitious and surprisingly well-made, all things considered. Despite it not really amounting to what it was clearly trying to, MAG was a fun experiment if nothing else. And perhaps a fun memory is what its better off staying.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What the fuck was MAG? ... OK it was an online shooter for PS3 that never really caught on because other games were better. Online games are subject to being fads so why is it surprising that an adequate game on a single platform didn't do as well a better multiplatform game?

Played a tonne of MAG back in the day. 128v128 battles, an actual command structure, PSMove support, 3 distinct armies, shame it had to end but it was inevitable as the community dropped off. Always felt good when the squad broke through our designated bunker and then hopped a vehicle to flank bunkers on the other side to help the other squads break through.

Loke

Played the Beta but it never clicked for me. Felt cumbersome and convoluted to play and overall not just any fun. It's a shame because I was pretty hyped for it.

The studio was closed down and now Sony doesn't have a competent FPS studio, but it could still be made if they wanted to, it's just the fact that the original didn't do well at all.

And it's not because of the exclusivity, if it came out now it'd likely be more successful, there's no excuse when Naughty Dog games sell like hotcakes and Sony is a different beast. Remember, this game came out when the PS3 was still performing poorly and was still overpriced.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
The most entertaining PS3 game there was. Damn, I'm still sad over the fact that we can't play it no more.

John Day

I played the beta, i remember getting into something else and not buying it though.
Reminds me of Planetside (🔥).

Ar¢tos

Fuck MAG. Where’s SOCOM?
whynotboth.gif

Edit: it was too lazy of me... I'll post the image.
why-not-both.jpg

Last edited:
From here on going forward, Sony should consider a PS5+PC release for their multiplayer-focused multiplayer-only games.

Day and date (or at least within a year) multiplatform release of multiplayer focused games.

Single player though should remain Playstation for many years before it hits the PC.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This, I really wish games went back to at least 1 map/mode on much larger scale. I used to love the 20v20 matches in Resistance 2 and the 16v16 matches in Killzone 2 as well.

Battlefield 6 might be upping 32v32 to 50v50.
I loved large scale battles because it all but eliminates one man armies.

Reason i quit COD was actually because i felt i was always carrying the team.
BR doesnt have the same feel even when they do 50v50 events.

MAG was something special i think it was just before its time.
They xould probably pull it off today.

HTK

Banned
I worked at Zipper Interactive at the time. MAG didn't sell well, but I feel like it was ahead of its time. In a lot of ways I'm surprised the studio was able to pull such a game off on a PS3. That sort of game/idea would do much better with today's hardware and scope. It had an amazing dedicated fan base and I do remember everyone being super Jazzed about doing a sequel but that never materialized. After MAG there was SOCOM 4 and after SOCOM 4 there was Unit 13 for the Vita which the team put together in 11 months. Before the studio was shut there were ideas to work on an RPG then that got scrapped to help Guerilla Games work on their RPG which I believe to this day was Horizon, but the studio got shut down before that even happened.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony hit MAG with a 90mph fast ball and smashed it into oblivion they won’t even consider releasing a shooter these days and I don’t blame them people love their AAA walking sims.

Apeopleman

Sony hit MAG with a 90mph fast ball and smashed it into oblivion they won’t even consider releasing a shooter these days and I don’t blame them people love their AAA walking sims.
Lol very true. Sony makes great AAA cinematic games but it’s time to return to old PS3 form

we had resistance, Warhawk, KILLZONE, Mag, etc. Sony needs an exclusive shooter Ip especially since Microsoft is dropping the ball with Halo. I’m over fort nite, call of duty, over watch, apex legends, and other mainstream multiplayer with skill based match making AKA sweat based match making

ZywyPL

Banned
Played the beta and it wasn't very fun IMO.

Played the Beta but it never clicked for me. Felt cumbersome and convoluted to play and overall not just any fun. It's a shame because I was pretty hyped for it.

Yeah, many people, myself included, were thrown away after playing the beta, the game failed to deliver the sense of being a part of such a large scale battle, the map design just didn't allow you to see/experience that much action combined together at once, and as a result the game felt like a 16-24 player matches most of the time. Unlike BF games which had a fraction of MAG's playercount, but the whole gameplay/action felt so much more dense and larger in scale.

Cornbread78

Battlefield 6 might be upping 32v32 to 50v50.
I loved large scale battles because it all but eliminates one man armies.

Reason i quit COD was actually because i felt i was always carrying the team.
BR doesnt have the same feel even when they do 50v50 events.

MAG was something special i think it was just before its time.
They xould probably pull it off today.

"cautiously optimistic" lol. I'm really looking forward to getting more information on that.

It pisses me off because I'm a huge Resistance/Killzone fan...

I worked at Zipper Interactive at the time. MAG didn't sell well, but I feel like it was ahead of its time. In a lot of ways I'm surprised the studio was able to pull such a game off on a PS3. That sort of game/idea would do much better with today's hardware and scope. It had an amazing dedicated fan base and I do remember everyone being super Jazzed about doing a sequel but that never materialized. After MAG there was SOCOM 4 and after SOCOM 4 there was Unit 13 for the Vita which the team put together in 11 months. Before the studio was shut there were ideas to work on an RPG then that got scrapped to help Guerilla Games work on their RPG which I believe to this day was Horizon, but the studio got shut down before that even happened.
It's really such a shame because both Socom Confrontation and MAG had so much heart behind them. When I played them I was fully immersed in their world. Not to mention that MAG had that bad ass opening cut scene that got me pumped everytime to play. I was never very good at that game and found it super hard. It too way too many shots to kill people in my opinion which really pissed me off. But I still loved the game to death. A game with this scale that isn't Planetside 2 would really kick ass these days. I've been playing Enlisted and I definitely get some heavy MAG vibes from that even though it's WWII.

Reactions: HTK

tylrdiablos

I stuck about 20 hours into MAG... but then I tried the co-op mode in Resistance 2 and that sunk its claws well and truly into me. It was just damn good fun.

A new MAG on PS5 hardware would be very welcome. Maybe wait and see what EA/DICE are doing with the large-scale battles in the next Battlefield title.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Played some mag at a buddy's place way back. Not bad. 30 fps is hard to play on when COD was the rage, but it played well. It felt like COD but at 30 fps.

Just needed real guns and get rid of that giant green gas bomb which everyone spammed into respawn points. There's that map where the key respawn point is behind a concrete wall and you either go left or right to forge ahead into the meat of the map. Enemy team just kept tossing green stun bombs at both choke points.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

It was just too ahead of it’s time. Also COD, Halo, Gears, Battlefield was just too hot around that time. You were playing at LEAST one of those games. If MAG was released just a few years later then maybe it could’ve caught on.

Naked Lunch

Where is really any first party FPS games with online MP games on Playstation?
Its a major void in their 1st party lineup.
Seems they gave up years ago.

GeorgPrime

Banned
MAG is a defunct massively multiplayer online first-person shooter[4] video game developed by Zipper Interactive for the PlayStation 3. The game was released in North America on January 26, 2010,[2] mainland Europe on January 27 and the United Kingdom on January 29. It was released in Australia and New Zealand on February 11, 2010.[5] MAG received an award from Guinness World Records as "Most Players in a Console FPS" with 256 players.[6]

On January 28, 2014, the online servers for MAG were shut down. Due to its reliance on online play, it is no longer possible to play the game.[7]

Seems like it just died quietly in its sleep.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MAG was very mediocre in terms of it's gameplay loop. It felt like a B or C tier Call of Duty/Battlefield with no real interesting innovation. It didn't leverage it's large player count at all. The players actions never felt rewarded, or punished because team sizes were so big.

I have no idea how a MAG 2 could be successful.

Snakey125

....Was I the only one who actually enjoyed it?

It was one of the few games that I could come back time after time.

Top Bottom