• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the best gaming deal you ever got?

rm082e

Now my big fuck up. I started collecting PS3 games in 2018 and build myself a very decent collection in about a year. Got bored of collecting one day, didn't want to sell them one by one so I put this lot on sale for 250€. One guy contacted me and offered me 220. I said yes, one hour later my collection was gone.
EWmRStW.jpeg

What Have I Done Cat GIF

Oooof. I sold off my PS3/360 collection as well in 2011, but I used the money to re-purchase Steam versions of my favorites. I also had probably half as many as you've got there. Do you regret any specific titles in particular?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I put my email in at collegeclub.com, didn't follow the instructions and they still sent me a Sega Dreamcast for free.

I think that counts.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
RTX 3070 for MSRP.
Swapped for RTX 3080LHR during the crazies.

Worst deal the swapper could have made because LHR was beaten shortly after I had his 3080.

Fool!!!!!!!!!!!

Mobilemofo

Titanfall 2 £20 brand new from HMV. I didn't know it at the time. A big thankyou to the stupid fuckers who launched it between a cod and battlefield fuckfest. Best £20 I've ever spent.

Topher

Gold Member
I won an IBM PCjr at a computer dealer auction. Love that thing. It cost $599 without a disk drive. $999 with one. That was back in 1984. So winning it was a huge deal.

It was basically IBM trying to merge a console and a PC together, but with only partial PC compatibility. As you can imagine, it was a complete failure when folks could buy a Commodore 64 for less than half the price.

s-l1600.jpg

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1. Game Pass. Best deal in gaming, baby :messenger_sunglasses:

2. Baldurs Gate 3 for $20 a week after it launched on Xbox

3. RE4 Remake, 2 days before its street date via Walmart (this is big for me because this has been the *only* game I've wanted to get before street-date and was able to do so)

Midn1ght

Oooof. I sold off my PS3/360 collection as well in 2011, but I used the money to re-purchase Steam versions of my favorites. I also had probably half as many as you've got there. Do you regret any specific titles in particular?
I mean, Alice, Puppeteer, Siren Blood Curse, both God of War Collection and Yakuza Dead Souls are probably worth what the guy paid for the entire thing so yeah I regret these one. They're not hard to find, just pricey now.

The one I regret the most is not here and is even more crazy:

I lived in Viet Nam for 11 years and used to order from Play-Asia all the time during the PS3 and 3DS era. I didn't really collect at the time, just buying games i wanted to play. Play-Asia often had sales and free shipping for Viet Nam.

One day, i bought this:

s-l1200.webp

I was really interested about this game so I got it but didn't even open it. A few weeks later, I moved to another apartment and sold a bunch of stuff before moving, my PS3 and the games I had included. Probably got around 200 bucks for the lot.

This game has become one of the rarest and most expensive game to get on PS3 if you're looking for the version with the English subtitles, people ask over 500 for it. There's a cheaper Japanese only version and I believe a Korean version that also have English subs but this one is also several hundred to get.

So yeah, wish I still had this gem.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I won an IBM PCjr at a computer dealer auction. Love that thing. It cost $599 without a disk drive. $999 with one. That was back in 1984. So winning it was a huge deal.

It was basically IBM trying to merge a console and a PC together, but with only partial PC compatibility. As you can imagine, it was a complete failure when folks could buy a Commodore 64 for less than half the price.

s-l1600.jpg
I was one of those people 😅

DonF

I got Goldeneye 64 for like $18 6 months after release. I was young and begged my dad to get it for me..told him that it was worth like $50 and he got it right away.
Also, $9 for MGS3 on ps2. I loved that game.

Corny, but serious:

When I bought the PS2, I was pretty surprised it was fully backwards compatible. I tested out all of my games to make sure it was the real deal. Then I packed up my PS1 and gave it to the poor kid who lived across the street from me with a couple of games I didn't want anymore (Gran Turismo 2 was one of them).

He had a completely shocked face - couldn't believe what was happening. He was probably 11 and I think his favorite toy was a stick he would swing around in his yard. His Mom came out to check and make sure he wasn't lying. I explained the situation and she tried to refute it saying it was "too much". I insisted. She got all teary eyed and hugged me. Every time I would see him from then on, he got a big smile and waved to me. It was a great feeling.
I love this. Bless you man.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I got a Radeon VII in 2019, it was the worst fucking GPU I’ve ever owned. It sounded like a hair dryer under load. I spent $150 for a Morpheus Vega cooler/fans/tools just to make the damn thing bearable.

Then 2 years later I sold it for almost $2000. Ended up being both my worst and best gaming purchase.

Actually the best deal i got was a free xbox 360 from my best friend. I had helped him download some music production software. Then he went to the store and bought me a new 360.

Sleepwalker

PS4 pro 500 million limited edition in box for $100. Unfortunately no controller, but it's not that hard to track one down.

Last edited:
Mine is kind of weird because it wasnt a game or a console itself, but about 10 years ago, I ended up getting 2 years of best buy gamers club for $10.

If people don't remember or aren't familiar, BB gamer club gave you 20% off of EVERY game plus there was some other perks like extra store credit for trade ins and what not. The price literally made up for it by buying a new game. Back when games were $60, you would get them for $48. Not sure of my exact total on how much I saved over the 2 years, but it has to be well over $300.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Putting aside any other case of "Old games bought from the bargain bin" which is almost cheating as an answer, I would say that the Orange Box back then was outrageously good.

For 30 bucks or less you got Half-Life 2 Episode 2 (best in the series, too), team Fortress 2 AND Portal in a single package.
And we are talking about the "day 1" release price.

The best deal I didn't even take advantage of yet. I joined a Steam Family from this beta, and someone in my "family" buys basically every game that comes out . . . so yea, looking into getting a Steam Deck.

Other notable ones, MCC for $10. $99 PS Now card to stack PS+ Premium for over 5 years. Epic game store is also the best deal in gaming and doesn't get enough credit for it. Free games for literally zero money.

I traded in 2 PSP's and an OG Xbox with a stack of games for the only launch 60gb PS3 with BC and a Copy of Motorstorm in my local blockbuster.

No ragrets brah.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
When block buster was a thing, they would also sell games. I would buy games at block buster and walk across the street and trade them in at GameStop. Often at 2-3 the value. Got lots of cheap ones doing that.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
When I was at A-School in the Navy down in Florida in 2002. In an elevator I got to talking about video games with someone and he offered to sell me his Dreamcast, 2 controllers, 10 games including Skies of Arcadia for $60 usd. It will never get any better than that.

Edit - Ah the desperation of young people spending their saved $1,500 after boot camp at strip clubs and needing a few bucks to pay their bills never failed.

Last edited:

Goliath77

I got an Xbox Series S from GameStop for free when they screwed up their holiday sale a couple of years ago. I put it in dev mode and run emulators on it and it's great.

When Steam Deck OLED released I was able to buy and flip enough original models to get a Deck for free.
I like the sound of this. What emulators can you run?

El Muerto

Zelda Collection and Twilight Princess for gamecube. And Simpsons Hit and Run for PS2, paid $0.50 ea. Went to a thrift store where prices are based on weight.

Raven117

I got a free copy of dragon warrior with a subscription to Nintendo power.

I’ve loved RPGs ever since.

Fbh

lol I remember when I worked retail and we had one branch manager who didn't give a fuck. When people would bring in a game we wanted for trade in we'd just offer them slightly more money to buy it directly from them.

It was like like "hey, the store will give you $15 for it, but if you want I can offer you $18 in cash right now".

Most people didn't mind since they wanted to trade in the game anyway and they were getting a bit more money from it.
Got tons of recent releases for like $25-30 that way, and anything that was a bit older for like $10-20.

Three

Maybe the orange box on PS3. It was pretty cheap for a collection of great games and even included a free steam copy. It certainly felt like a bargain at the time.

Raven117

That was such an amazing deal. Until then, I had borrowed my friend’s copy. It is still one of my favourite games. Best in the series, honestly.
Mine too. I loved it. And as a kid who didn’t have a whole lot of money growing up, this was like a true gift from Nintendo.

clarky

Gold Member
I rented Psy-ops for the PS2 from my local for £2 and forgot to take it back, its still in the loft.

Great game as well as a bargain.

elhav

Not a videogame, but I've bought the art book of Journey for like 60 bucks when it came out, not knowing it'll be very very limited.

4SH6xld.jpg

Now the few copies I find on Ebay cost like 600-700 dollars. Jesus christ

Schmendrick

I played the Ori Games f.e. for 2 bucks with the Game pass 1€ trials. Doesn't get much better than that outside of the F2P market.

reinking

Gold Member
I used to wheel and deal all of the time for funding my gaming habit. I once traded an Atari Jaguar and some games for a Neo Geo Arcade cabinet. I already had carts for it because I also had a Neo Geo console. I have a lot of deals where I made out like a bandit but also a few where I gave up more because I really wanted something... ..3DO comes to mind.

Crayon

Are you better than Michael Pachter?

The last shit I took was better than Pachter. My theory was based on toy, comic book, and baseball card collectors. People said it wouldn't happen for video games for some reason, which I found absurd.

Unfortunately, thanks to a slightly tumultuous youth, most of my keepers were lost. Never put all your good shit in one box. Still have that pd saga though!!

AmuroChan

A couple years ago there was some sort of exploit on the GameStop website where you could use a BOGO free deal on a Series S. I got in early enough where they honored the deal and I got two Series S's for the price of one.

A few years ago Steam had a sale package of practically every Daedalic game ever made for super cheap, I was like 9.99 for 30 games.
I'm still slowly playing them on my Steamdeck.
I hear years later they made a game about a giant ape and the company is no longer around.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not counting the multitudes of free shit I’ve gotten, and still get - probably a SNES that some kid was selling at a yard sale a couple years ago with around 10-12 games. He was asking $20 or $25 for the whole thing, but was missing the power supply. So I offered him something like $15 and he took it.

I had a power supply that worked on it, as I think it was the same one used in a more modern Nintendo system. So I played a couple of the games like Killer Instinct and Mario Kart that I never bought back then. Then sold the whole thing on eBay.

radewagon

Project Justice for Dreamcast for around ten bucks. Used but complete and in excellent condition from EB or Gamestop. Can't remember which.

simpatico

GTX 1080 at launch. $500, and I'm still playing games on high at 1080p/60. 8 years later. Might have to turn shadows down to medium on certain titles.

Last edited:
Probably had better that I can't recall over the years, but the One X I picked up for £60 last year has been a pretty sweet buy even with most of my 360 games not being compatible.

Games that have had an X upgrade are generally pretty good on it.

Not a videogame, but I've bought the art book of Journey for like 60 bucks when it came out, not knowing it'll be very very limited.

4SH6xld.jpg

Now the few copies I find on Ebay cost like 600-700 dollars. Jesus christ
Very dope. Game art books are my big thing and I'm jealous.

Got rather recently (starting 2021) into collecting, and mostly for modern systems (PS3, PS4, PS5, 360, XBO, XBS and Switch) so here are most of the good deals I've gotten so far:
  • MGS The Legacy Collection (PS3) for €30 (new)
  • Amazing Spider-Man 2 (PS4) for €7 (used)
  • Child of Light Ultimate Edition + Valiant Hearts (Switch) for €10 (used)
  • PEGI version of World End Syndrome Day One Edition (Switch) for €30 (new)
  • ESRB copy of The House of Fata Morgana (Switch) - €60 (new)
  • Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) - €6 (used, but complete in box)
  • Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania Edition (PS4) - €10 (new; pricing error)
  • Blasphemous II (Switch) - €8 (new; pricing error)
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS4) - €20 (new)
  • Demon's Souls (PS5) - €15 (new)
  • Returnal (PS5) - €15 (new)
  • Death Stranding Director's Cut (PS5) - €10 (new)
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5 - €5 (used)
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5) - €6 (used)
  • Metro Exodus Aurora Limited Edition (XSX) - €10 (new)

Top Bottom