• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What were the most Bullshit DLC’s for you ?

bumpkin

I never played the DLC, but I remember the reception for Castlevania Lord of Shadow’s extra content being lukewarm at best. A shame because the rest of the game was pretty decent.

Krieger

Immortals Fenyx Rising. DLC 1 is just puzzles, DLC 2 is the main game but smaller and with chinese gods, DLC 3 tried to be Diablo but sucked ass because it used the same game mechanics as the main game which don't work from a bird's view. What sucked the most is that after finishing the game and getting the best gear, you start back at zero with each DLC.

Uncharted remastered trilogy and the brutal difficulty that came as an update/DLC. You get killed with 2 hits, enemies drop at most 3 ammo and they take 10 hits to die without headshots. There are also many areas where you can't fight and instead are forced to run away from gunfire, but die after 1 second. These areas were nothing more than RNG and constant retries.

Well, how can you beat the most recent one, that Yakuza 8 sells NG+ as paid DLC?

28I6rSL.png

I actually bought it and beat it...

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Locking the hard mode behind DLC in BotW was pretty shit imo.

But I mean, there so much bad stuff. Having to pay for dance moves in stuff like Fortnite, colored portals in Diablo etc. etc. etc. etc. The list is too big to even comprehend.

Fbh

lol Asura's Wrath is also the first one that came to mind.
The full priced game basically ends with a "To be continued" screen and then they sell you the ending of the game separately.

Kindjal

Asura's Wrath: Putting the real antagonist in a DLC sure was a choice… I was bit annoyed when that happened.

Mass Effect 3: Putting a very important lore character on a paywall/DLC was another annoying decision.
Those were the first 2 cases that I could think of. I agree completely.

Soodanim

I think locking content behind amiibo is dumb as fuck.
1. Lock content behind a toy that only collectors want
2. Produce a limited amount, causing price to skyrocket
3. Don't offer the content digitally
4. Only a tiny fraction of your customers get to play the content

Not nearly enough people had a problem with that. I remember being into Hyrule Warriors and wanting to give Nintendo money for DLC characters. But they didn't want my money. Nintendo fans, unfortunately, defended the practice.

Fuck Amiibos.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Sims - pick any of the random 500 DLC they've released in the past three decades.

RavageX

6th gen had DLC before that.
That may be so but the horse armor is the first i remember being completely a shit thing to charge for, which led to other companies trying the same shit, and here we are....paying for dances.

I could be wrong as my memory fails at times.

Skifi28

Playing Kingdom hearts 3 reMind as we speak. I've played for three hours and so far it's 90% identical to the regular ending of the game with an extra cutscene included here and there . I had to double-check to make sure I didn't just accidentally start the base game's ending battles again.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Wasn't the Callisto Protocol DLC like the biggest turd ever on top of the biggerest turd ever?
Nah. It wasn't amazing, but it's not the worst by a long shot. Plus it has a super fun weapon.

First thing that came to mind is the Asura's Wrath "DLC".

Last edited:

intbal

That may be so but the horse armor is the first i remember being completely a shit thing to charge for, which led to other companies trying the same shit, and here we are....paying for dances.

I could be wrong as my memory fails at times.
I never had Xbox Live for my original xbox, so I never got any of that DLC (unless it came on disc), but the OG Xbox had a massive amount of DLC. I bet some of it was not only really terrible, but also profitable.
The seeds were definitely planted in the 6th gen.

Futaleufu

The DLC for The Talos Principle was full of unfair puzzles that required walking out of bounds, no clarity regarding which areas were walkable and which weren't and other things like that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I bought old COD map packs back in the day I got my worth out of them. But I always found the map packs generally had worse maps than the ones coming with the game. It got to a point, I'd delete the map pack so I wouldnt be put into matches of them.

Laptop1991

The DLC for Bioshock Infinite retconned the original in bullshit ways. I can't remember exactly but it sucked.
Yeah, the Daisy Fitzroy 180 switch to the main story which made no sense, so that Ken Levine could kill off Booker and Elizabeth, which i assume is so that 2K couldn't use them in any future games, awful dlc's story wise and really short on gamepllay as well, although going back to Rapture was cool,

And yeah Obviously Horse Armor, any Oblivion fan knows this, we all just got the better free modded one anyway.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
First and Last DLC I bought was that Borderlands 2 bundle.
Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty = Colossal Shit
Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage = Colossal Shit
Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt = Colossal Shit
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep = Actually fun but I do remember some encounters were busted or super unbalanced

MagnesD3

Dead Space 3 is my number 1 because they literally cut the ending out and charged for it as dlc, no shit after I beat it I didnt pay because screw that evil.

SHA

Street fighter 4,5,6 and X Tekken, I thought I was missing a lot with more powerful characters but most of them are just fillers.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Horse Armor DLC.

Everything evil can be traced back to this.

Can't believe I was just about to post this with no remorse but it was covered immediately. I love BGS games but they really done goofed.

Dazraell

I'm not gonna focus on bad DLCs per say, but more on awful practices behind them:
  • Oblivion's smaller DLCs - I found them pointless and badly integrated into the game. Houses were okay, but the way they were integrated (you receive a note when you have them active and own the place without doing anything) is a hilariously bizarre design choice. And horse armor is a complete joke. The only one I actually liked was Mehrunes Razor as the dungeon for it was unique and fun to explore
  • Prince of Persia Epilogue DLC - extends the game's ending and basically ends in the similar way as the original. Saying that making this DLC was a stupid idea is an understatement
  • Battle of Forli and Bonfire of the Vanities DLCs to Assassin's Creed II - short quests that should have been a part of the game. And Ubisoft had an audacity to make an abrupt timeskip in actual game to skip times where DLCs take place so they could add them later. Luckily they were later on added to re-releases as part of the whole package
  • From Ashes DLC to Mass Effect 3 - this DLC was actually quite neat, but hiding massive ME lore that comes from its unique companion behind a paywall and on a day one was a choice that I'm baffled to this day

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
First and Last DLC I bought was that Borderlands 2 bundle.
Captain Scarlett and Her Pirate's Booty = Colossal Shit
Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage = Colossal Shit
Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt = Colossal Shit
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep = Actually fun but I do remember some encounters were busted or super unbalanced
Your taste is shit and you should feel bad about it

Hudo

Can't believe I was just about to post this with no remorse but it was covered immediately. I love BGS games but they really done goofed.
When I was a teen and this shit happened, I was naive enough to think that this is just a some Bethesda goofiness.

Turns out that I was staring an ill omen right in the face.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’d rather talk about the best DLC I’ve actually purchased. I feel like Mario Kart was really good.

xrnzaaas

The Sims - pick any of the random 500 DLC they've released in the past three decades.
What was always awful about The Sims is that whenever a new game came out it was barebones again. So you had to wait for them to generously release the same or similar DLC content you liked and pay for it again.

A lot of the DLC's for Sims are also heavily overpriced, offering only some cosmetic items or clothes instead of introducing new gameplay elements.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Holy shit, I heard about a this but figured it was $5 or $10 (neither good, but better than this)

TWENTY US DOLLARS for the ability to play your game more? I’m a big fan of RGG but this can fuck off into the sun
What's weird is that LaD7 also had this kind of DLC. But they patched it in for the EN version. But they didn't do it for IW

TheStam

My biggest gripe is with Paradox DLC. They're cool additions but ridiculously overpriced for what you get. How am I gonna be paying the same as something like Witcher 3 DLCs for a couple of cool additions. You don't need them really, but I always get this lingering feeling of missing out for not spending a ridiculous amount of money on DLC which puts me off their games nowadays.

Resident Evil 8 DLC.

Some of the worst fucking RE content I've ever played and I owned the PS2 light gun game. Running around avoiding giant dolls with magical powers and not even once did it resemble fun to play.

That DLC managed to make me dislike RE8 even more.

Top Bottom