• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the dominant genre next-gen?

8-Bit era = Platformers (Mario 1, Mario 2, Mario 3, etc.)
16-Bit era = Fighters (MK 1, MK2, Street Fighter II, Fatal Fury, etc.)
32/64-Bit era = Toss up between RPGs and platformers?
Present = FPS & Free-roaming action/adventure

Those are just my choices. I predict a full-blown FPS takeover in the next-gen.

platformers probably still dominated the 16 bit scene. SF and Mk were huge, but Super Mario World, Donkey Kong COuntry and Sonic probably sold more.

Barnimal

Banned
online anything. in 2006 telcos will begin rolling out fiber to the home. 10+mbps internet service for all.

*edit* well...anything unless you only plan on getting a revolution. :lol

Reilly

Those games with lots of characters on the screen. Like Heavenly Sword, 99 Nights, and Kameo. I think that will be the big genre to show off the power of the console(s).

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
FPS

and if squarenix remakes FFVII, RPGs will receive a pretty good boost

M3wThr33

Banned
Racing.

Every god damn thread about screenshots right now is TOCA, Burnout Revenge, NFS:MW, Trackmania Sunrise, PGR3, etc. Jesus Christ!

Andy787

Banned
Convergence titles like GTA, and first person shooters. Or perhaps first person titles like GTA.

Or 2D fighters.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
World War 2 FPS clones

you thought you've seen enough? we'll have more WW2 FPS with more people on screen and SMOKE!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Someone said it before, but I think that if Square did do a remake of FFVII, it'd shake things up quite a bit. The only denying factor that RPG's will dominate next gen is that they are taking way too long and cost too much to pump out to make it a success.

I think free-roaming needs to evolve for it to live. Yeah it's great to do anything you want but there needs to be something else to it, what that is I don't know. And FPS have always been successful, it just wasn't until 32-64bit they got a bit more notice for the console fans due to port-jobs because PC's were still a niche market.

Interactive movies.

Well not really like that, but definitely more cinematics will continue to pervade all genres. Some will be wildly inappropriate (I don't think we've seen the end of story modes in racers unfortunately), some will be an excuse to force the player through a parade of tedious exhibitions detailing how the character developed their angst which now smoulders their rage, some will get it right, giving the player a deeper, more emotional connection with the gameplay.

One can only hope that a greater emphasis also means a greater emphasis on quality. Hiring in professional writers, rather than relying on the supressed desires of the lead designer to be a novelist, might be a good start.

I hope people will get bored of FPS games and GTA clones and something new will come up and take the top spot.

edit: I'd also like to see the sales of sports games decrease quite a bit. Now with EA getting exclusive licenses hopefully they will also get lazy with updates and people stop buying their games. Yeah, I can't really see this happening, but I can hope...

Movie and comic book licensed games.

After King Kong, Godfather, and the next round of Spidey, Hulk, and X-Men games sell well, it'll generate a mad dash to grab all the licenses available.

Actually, it's already started with Microsoft's Marvel MMO.

Which movies would you like to see as (good) games? That'd make a good thread--hey, what's it take around here to be allowed to make new threads? Someone else wanna do it?

Sin City
more Aliens games (Jag AvP is still the best)
Shaolin Soccer!
Rain Man (j/k)

Rhindle

Sequels
Licensed Games
Spin-offs
Sequels to spin-offs of licensed games
Licensed games based on movies based on spin-offs of sequels

Top Bottom