• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will be the dominant genre next-gen?

SyNapSe

Sports games, FPS shooters... and as always popular sequels from established franchises will do well no matter what genre.

Borys

Banned
Consoles:

Madden 2006, 7, 8, 9 etc.
NBA 2006, 7, 8, 9 etc.
FIFA 2006, 7, 8, 9 etc.

Halo 3, "Halo 3 killers", "Halo 3 clones"
Battlefield and Ghost Recon clones
Shitty sci-fi "sneakers" with upgraded Doom 3 graphics
Urban Racing, Illegal Streetz 'n' Shit Yo!

MMORPGs

PC:

Same thing as this gen.

Ranger X

jarrod said:
This is why handhelds > consoles.

Well, i have more fun with home consoles generally. There is still more great games imo. More crap but also more great games. It's impossible i would live out just from handhelds.
Also, i'm not interested in the PSP yet because it sounds too much like a home console. I like the different taste of some (many?) DS and GBA games though.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
SanjuroTsubaki said:
Games that you kill the police and live the lifestyle of an African American Basketball player.

uhh...ok?

Anyone gonna predict a rapid drop of interest in a specific genre?

Puzzle games are all but extinct on the console field. Sure, you get adventure games that are laced with puzzles, but an all out puzzle game for a console like Pacman, Marble Madness, Super Monkey Ball?

Platformers might take a hit, too, as will survival horror games...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I have a feeling we're not gonna be seeing too much in the way of expansive, wide-open games. Developers and artists are gonna be spending a LOT more time on graphics, so they'll want you to see everything that's possible, so they'll probably be confining you to more linear paths :D Just a thought...

I would personally love an RPG resurgence. Seeing those Lost Odyssey and FF7 Intro videos make me drool at the possibilities...

Gchaime

The Faceless Master said:
Madden, FPS, Racing

No, those are the genres that are popular this generation, eventually those genres wil become too complicated/niche-y and the general public will move one to something new (i think racing games have already become to niche-y for the general public, since a lot of racinggames seems to require 40+of tuning before you can actually race a cool car).

Maybe nintendo was rigth and betting on simple non-games is the way of the future (atleast for the next-gen).

newsguy

Gchaime said:
Maybe nintendo was rigth and betting on simple non-games is the way of the future (atleast for the next-gen).

show_me_the_ending.gif

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Present = FPS & Free-roaming action/adventure

I disagree. We're talking about dominating here. Not the dominant game genre on Xbox and PC.

PS2 is the largest userbase. So GTA and platformers.

I don't know what next gen will bring, but the power of the next gen consoles could make some pretty sweet war games. Like LOTR, but actually good.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Straightballin said:
Im going to say FPS everyone is trying to make the Halo Killer.

Halo is nice and all - but I don't think the majority of gamers think it's still all that like when it was released.

Am I right people?

AniHawk

I guess we'll see. It seems like each gen leading into the next was going to follow the previous one. Platformers in general died down during the SNES/Genesis era. Fighters died down during the Saturn/PSX/N64 age, and this gen platformers and RPGs weren't the most popular ones anymore either. Looking back, during the first year or two there seems to be a sizeable focus on the previous gen's most popular genres.

So while I think FPS games and GTA games might be top dog two generations in a row, it might not actually happen either. The phenomenons that change the focus of the industry usually come out of nowhere.

monchi-kun said:
Crap has always been and always will be the dominant genre

true, I predict generic GTA clones, FPS's and movie license games will dominate next gen

So, if The Godfather was in 1st person, EA would have a winner in their hands :D

FiRez

Dr_Cogent said:
Halo is nice and all - but I don't think the majority of gamers think it's still all that like when it was released.

Am I right people?

at least for me...you're wrong
BEST SINGLE PLAYER FPS SO F4R!!! YOU BETTER BELIEVE THAT :D

Look at the publishers who are left standing with hoards of cash. EA, Activision, Take-Two, Microsoft, and THQ in the U.S. Ubisoft, SCi/Eidos will most likely be gobbled up. These guys will set the agenda for next generation. So far, they've been relying on sports, FPS, free-roaming action, and movie-licenses. Why should it change, they're not going to take any risks on new ideas unless we stop buying crappy games. The casual gamer will hopefully mature and become more sophisticated and discerning. Broadband access will become more ubiquitous. The better question to ask is what genre will be revived or benefit most in the next-gen?. The answer to that question is MMOPRGs, IMO.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm quite amused by the amount of people that thing a FF7 remake is going to set the tone for more RPG's. Gaming is pretty much the way it's going to be now, for the near future.

Top Bottom