• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you have done if you got someone pregnant at 17?

Mondai

I was a s***ty, lame teenager , if I got someone pregnant at that age I would have either:

1) Join the Army a lot sooner than I did.

2) Probably abandon them and try to pretend they didn’t exist.

Honestly at that age , the latter would have been the likeliest choice.

poodaddy

Gold Member
I would have manned up and taken care of my child. My kid was born when I was 24, and honestly I was extremely immature. Just getting out of the Army, had already wrestled the bottle a bit, had a failed marriage, I mean I wasn't truly ready to be a dad, but when are you ever ready ya know? You just jump in and try your best, figure it out as you go. I know lots of people who had their kids when they were kids, and they turned out to be great parents. Hell, in a way I think it's an advantage. Who wants to be too old to be a kid with their kids ya know?

nush

Gold Member
I was a s***ty, lame teenager , if I got someone pregnant at that age I would have either:

1) Join the Army a lot sooner than I did.

2) Probably abandon them and try to pretend they didn’t exist.

Honestly at that age , the latter would have been the likeliest choice.

Who's 17 in this scenario? The girl or the guy?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Rely on your parents to help you with most of it since you're basically a kid still with no career or earning potential or any skills to speak of. That's pretty much what happens, the grandparents get drafted for another 20 years of work.

hang-myself.gif

Aesius

I’m pretty sure my high school girlfriend got pregnant at 18 and had a really early miscarriage. Her cycle was like clockwork and one month she was nearly 2 weeks late. It was the scariest 2 weeks of my life.

Pejo

My man's like "I've seen that unnecessary arbitrary censoring of the word "shit" before."

On topic, I'd have probably panicked a lot, hoped for the best, and then taken care of the kid or accepted the abortion (definitely would have urged the abortion route though). I had several pregnancy scares throughout my 20s, and all of them turned out negative, so whew.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Help pay for an abortion if she was willing and the girl I was dating at that age was willing. We talked about it after we started having sex regularly.

Its the only responsible and sensible thing to do at that age in my opinion unless you were born into money.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
End up paying child support until you are 40 like I did.

I can first hand tell you what can happen if you fuck up this young.

It's not fun, and severely limits some carrer choices.

She gets to pay the bills with her vagina though, while kneecapping you at every turn.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I’d have been passive aggressive about it: crush a bunch of morning after pills into a latte and then talked about it.

If she kept the baby I’d do ROTC and join the military or do all the research to adopt the baby out.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I know you are kidding but I have seen that presented before as a legit option on social media and that is horrifying to me that people can do that to someone they care about.
These options weren't available to me.

I won't deny that I might have been tempted at the time if they were.

I paid with half my life (and most of my ambitions) because .....

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
These options weren't available to me.

I won't deny that I might have been tempted at the time if they were.

I paid with half my life (and most of my ambitions) because .....
Why were they not available?

Boss Mog

I would've discussed it with the girl and respected her choice. She's the one that would have to go to school pregnant and face scrutiny or drop out.

One one hand an abortion would mean that I could continue to have fun and enjoy my youth but I'm sure I would wonder about that kid for the rest of my life. On the other hand I would have a kid, it would be scary but pretty cool. In a way, we're way more fearless as teenagers and more ready to cope with the unforeseen change.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Am I trash then? :O

Nah mate. When my gf at the time told me her period was late, I was terrified. We both were. We were only 16-17. We were thinking all sorts of stuff like how we were going to tell our parents, our schooling, future, marriage etc or … whether to abort. And the more she stressed, the more it delayed her period. Anyway, nothing came of it but I still remember that dread I felt then as a dumb teenager,

Last edited:
Top Bottom