• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's everyone's opinion on Super Mario Bros. 2?

cvxfreak

Super Mario Bros. 2 is the USA version of Super Mario USA. It was the launch Mario game on the GameBoy Advance, and was re-released as part of the Super Mario All-Stars package. But we all knew that...

Anyway, I recently got the Japanese version in (NCSX was selling it for a flat $12 including shipping and even though I had the U.S. version, I couldn't resist...). So what's everyone's consensus on this game? My favorite Mario Advance game (plus SMBCNES) would have to be Super Mario Advance 3/Yoshi's Island, but I think this comes out in second place, with Super Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3 taking 3rd and 4th respectively. I love the depth this game offers with the different character attributes, and the vegetable/enemy throwing, the reliance on jumps and the moderate difficulty. The bosses could have been a bit more creative besides Birdo though, and there could have been more levels, but I'd have to say that this is my favorite Mario platformer where we can play as Mario. Oh, and Toad in the GBA version RULES. :D

evil ways

I liked it cause it's different from the rest of the Mario games, but the controls and the overall platforming felt too loose and slippery to me.

AirBrian

I loved it. To this day I can beat the game in about a half-hour (with Princess and her crazy jumping/hovering skills of course).

Xizk

It's my least favorite Mario game. It was fun when I was little, but now I don't like it as much.

Raw64life

I thought it was the worst SMB but I still liked it a lot. A lot of people hate it just because it's too different from the others.

SA-X

Not my favorite Mario platformer but I still loved it.

Mario Bros. 3 > Yoshi's Island > Mario World > Mario Bros. 2 > Lost Levels > Mario Bros. 1

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
it was how I was introduced to mario.
I loved it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Made Luigi into his own character... so for that it rocked!

Tenguman

Blackace said:
Made Luigi into his own character... so for that it rocked!
Actually the Japanese version of SMB2 made Luigi different by allowing him to jump high.

the Japanese version of SMB2 was later called "Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels" here in the US

It's funny that during that time, the Japanese version of SMB2 was too much like the first SMB, that Nintendo opted to give US gamers something different and more innovative.

What do they do now?...slightly tweaked Mario Parties every year ;)

Sumasshu

I loved it when I was little. I got it for my birthday, and played it every day for like a month. Now my platforming skills suck, so I don't like it (or any oldschool SMB for that matter) nearly as much. I'm glad we got the version we got though -- it was a nice change from SMB1.

border

Isn't it funny how the sequels to a lot of NES classics wound up being such radical departures from the original versions?

Super Mario Brothers 2 -- pretty good
Castlevania 2 -- sucked ass
Zelda 2 -- sucked donkey ass

impirius

I like SMB2 US better than its Japanese counterpart. The latter felt more like a SMB1 expansion pack than anything.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tenguman said:
Actually the Japanese version of SMB2 made Luigi different by allowing him to jump high.

the Japanese version of SMB2 was later called "Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels" here in the US

It's funny that during that time, the Japanese version of SMB2 was too much like the first SMB, that Nintendo opted to give US gamers something different and more innovative.

What do they do now?...slightly tweaked Mario Parties every year ;)

They didn't bring over "the lost levels" as Mario Bros. 2 originally b/c they felt it was too difficult, and American gamers would reject the game and mario.

Swordian

border said:
Isn't it funny how the sequels to a lot of NES classics wound up being such radical departures from the original versions?

Super Mario Brothers 2 -- pretty good
Castlevania 2 -- pretty good
Zelda 2 -- rocked

Fixed.

shoplifter

GDJustin said:
They didn't bring over "the lost levels" as Mario Bros. 2 originally b/c they felt it was too difficult, and American gamers would reject the game and mario.

Because some of those jumps you had to make rocked with skill.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm probably alone but I find Yoshi's Island to be far more of an ugly stepchild of the series than SMB2. Super Mario Bros 2 is just great. So many cool characters like the Shy Guys and Birdo. I just went back to playing Super Mario Advance and I've gathered all of the red coins and I'm only missing one egg, and finding all of that was a sheer joy.

SuperPac

I know it's not a "true" Mario game, but I have a special place in my soul for Mario 2. For its time, the graphics were awesome, the gameplay was different enough but similar to SMB, the levels were big & varied, and that last boss fight sent shivers up my spine and made my hands cold n' clammy.

Going back and playing it now, sure -- it's pretty obvious it's the bastard child of the series. But it's still a great platformer and has some very memorable boss battles. I mean, they have *character*. It wasn't just Bowser at the end of every level. ;)

MAZYORA

Super Mario Bros 2 is my favorite Mario title in the series. I would love a 3d version of Mario based on the gameplay/world of Mario Bros 2. It's funny that Nintendo still uses Birdo and Shyguys in their games considering they didn't design any of them--or atleast I think they didn't. Did Fuji Television make the tv series based on the game, or did Nintendo make a game based on the TV series? I wonder who designed the characters of Doki Doki Panic: Nintendo or Fuji TV?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I prefer SMB3, but it's a fairly good game.

The funny thing is the amount of influence over the series that SMB2/USA has had... it was a fairly late Famicom release, but it was very well received. As a result, I think EAD began using various aspects of SMB2/USA in future Mario titles...

Without SMB2/USA, Donkey Kong (1994) and Mario vs. Donkey Kong would never be as great as they are, Yoshi's Island would be populated with radically different enemies, and we'd never have the Birdo issue.

Ok... I'm really tempted to sacrifice SMB2/USA -just- to get rid of the Birdo issue. Heh

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Not nearly my fave (SMB3 and Yoshi's island shit all over it) But I still really love it.

Without SMB2 we wouldn't have a lot of shit that makes mario mario. All of these where introduced in SMB2: picking up/carying/throwing enimies and items, Bob-ombs, shyguys, cactus, sparx, mario/luigi differentiation, multiple different bosses, riding animals, slippery ice worlds, keys.

I am sure there is a thing or two I am missing.

EDIT:well shit DDayton and I were saying the same thing. Sorry I didn't read you first ;)

btrboyev

I still love mario 2..its different but the story makes it so its ok and the ending definately is the best ending of any mario game.

I liked it.

I do like Super Mario Bros. 3 more, but I have to say that Super Mario Bros. 2 probably added more to the Super Mario series than any other:

-Pick up stuff
-Ride on enemies
-Scroll left in stages
-Scroll vertically in stages
-Go into different areas of one stage via doors
-No time limit
-Characters with different abilities
-Somewhat of a storyline
-Jump ability affected by squatting (which charges the ability up)
-End-of-stage mini-game (the slot machine)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
impirius said:
You could say vertical scrolling, life bars, and multiple-hit enemies, but that'd probably be stretching it. ;)

I left out vertical scrolling because there where mario one levels where you could climb up to other screens, though it didn't technically scroll. Life bars didn't really come back untill SM64, 3 SMW and YI where all atribute based life systems like 1. And one had multiple hit enemies (bowser with fireballs).

I remember another now, vehicles. You can take enemy aparati and comandeer them: canons, flying carpets etc. which appears in SMB3 with the boot and Lakitu's cloud, and again in SMW with Lakitu's cloud.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I played all the way through it as a kid, and beat it, so I guess it couldn't be too bad. However I don't remember it as I do Mario 3 and Mario World, so I'm guessing it wasn't really *that* good. Playable, though, I'm sure.

Yeah, the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 sucked ass. That was one time when the U.S. made out like fat cats because the U.S. version is infinitely better. The Japanese version is nothing but a tile hack of the first one with different levels, a poisonous mushroom item, and wind as a factor in a couple of stages.

Ferrio

Banned
fo shizzle said:
Yeah, the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2 sucked ass. That was one time when the U.S. made out like fat cats because the U.S. version is infinitely better. The Japanese version is nothing but a tile hack of the first one with different levels, a poisonous mushroom item, and wind as a factor in a couple of stages.

Uh what?

The real super mario brothers 2 kicked ass too. It was insanely hard which made it great.

The Japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 2 was boring. All you did is replay Super Mario Bros. with new levels, basically. Nothing significant was added. Even a lot of the sprites looked the same.

Top Bottom