• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whats the oldest game you finished this year?

SHA

Almost, the original mass effect, glad I kept it for this mess with releasing unfinished buggy games.

Technically they were remasters so not truly that old, but Red Faction and Serious Sam First Encounter both are dated 2001 in their original release.
Otherwise it would be some PS3 game I won't bother to check which was oldest among them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Puzzle Quest 2 released in 2010. It was such a slog. Anyone trying to complete this game killing all monsters and doing the mini games will be there for a million hours. I plowed through the game using the assassin double poison trick I saw online. I originally played it on 360 way back and gave up due to the monotony. But the assassin trick made fights go probably triple as fast. Funny thing is Xbox must had a cloud save because when I reinstalled the game and booted it up it already had my Level 8 Warrior saved game. LOL. To show how fast I bailed the first time, when you finish the game doing tons of kills and quest you'll be maxed out at Level 50.

Puzzle Quest 1 was way better and faster.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Quake 2 (remastered)
It was one of the first games I played when I bought my first PC. And I still play it once in a while.
This remaster was the perfect excuse to do it once again.

Majormaxxx

Here are some older games I finished:

- Jill of the Jungle 4 (technically not old - 2019 level pack for a 1992 game)
- Dark Forces but in the Force Engine (1995/2023)
- Wolfenstein episode 1 on series X (1992)
- Blackthorne on PS4 and finished on series X (cross save via level codes) (1994/2021)
- Forza Horizon 1 Rally on 360 (2012)
- Star Wars Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter/Jedi Academy/Clone Wars on series X (2001-2003)
- Vinyl Goddess from Mars (1995)
- Fear series (2005-2011)

Dorago

I beat Rygar 1987 and Castlevania SotN 1997 every year. I played and beat Strider 2014 and Bloodborne 2015 for the first time this year as well.

Same! A lot of mechanics for an old game and also hidden stuff
It's so damn good and ahead of its time. Even games that rip it off now don't offer nearly as much. Then again, intelligent design is timeless and this game is brilliantly designed.

Minus rhat fucking centipede boss. Seriously, fuck you Nintendo.

Deerock71

Well, if I can beat Nayuta before the end of the year, apparently that was a PSP game originally, so that (unless Star Ocean the Second Story R is older).

EDIT- Let's face it- I'll probably never beat SOtSSR.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Retro games I've played and beat this year:

The Legend of Zelda (NES)
Tetris (Wonderswan Color)
Castlevania (NES)

I'm also currently playing The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA), and I expect I'll beat it before the end of the year.

Also I'd like to take this opportunity to once again plug RetroAchievements.org which has been an amazing way for me to rediscover some of these classics.

xrnzaaas

Technically it was Flashback, but it was the anniversary edition so not exactly the 1993 release. I've played Flashback during my Amiga days, but the game beat me and I abandoned it (no Internet and quick guides to help out). I had a good time overall and the animations and backgrounds are still nice, but some deaths were really cheap and the controls even for basic stuff like climbing and jumping can be frustrating.

Last edited:
Puzzle Quest 2 released in 2010. It was such a slog. Anyone trying to complete this game killing all monsters and doing the mini games will be there for a million hours. I plowed through the game using the assassin double poison trick I saw online. I originally played it on 360 way back and gave up due to the monotony. But the assassin trick made fights go probably triple as fast. Funny thing is Xbox must had a cloud save because when I reinstalled the game and booted it up it already had my Level 8 Warrior saved game. LOL. To show how fast I bailed the first time, when you finish the game doing tons of kills and quest you'll be maxed out at Level 50.

Puzzle Quest 1 was way better and faster.

Yeah, it's a shame, the first game was long but great fun, the second was just an absolute chore.

I did finally beat Shamus 2 for the old Atari 8-bit (and C64 for those who were heretics back then). I used an emulator, at half speed, with save states... Man, these old games were fucking hard.

StereoVsn

Quake 2 (remastered)
It was one of the first games I played when I bought my first PC. And I still play it once in a while.
This remaster was the perfect excuse to do it once again.
Ooh, forgot about Quake. I did play through Quake 1&2 this year. Plus as a bonus Doom 3 but that’s not that old.

MagnesD3

I beat The OG Legend of Zelda on my Wii for the first time this year and I was surprised how good it was. That open world would have been mind blowing at the time. The first third of the game is great, it only starts to slip up around the later dungeons getting too obtuse or absurd enemy blue wizro clusters.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I went to the arcade and played through a bunch of games. The oldest of them being Turtles in Time and The Simpsons Arcade Game. So whatever is oldest out of them 2.

Rodolink

Yooka Laylee, i backed them up during the campaign but just now gent the banjo kazooie itch, and sat to finish it up. gameplay wise was kindda disappointed, feels very clunky and unpolished in some mechanics.

Last edited:

cireza

That open world would have been mind blowing at the time.
It was. Breath of the Wild returned to these roots in a way.

But if I had to pick one game for its open-world, it would be Phantasy Star I. You could travel to different planets, and you were free to do see very early in the game. This game was truly mind blowing.

Did you play the second quest ? Because the game has a second quest, and it is absolutely brutal, but also quite memorable as well. The word Legend really did apply to the game lol.

When you complete the first dungeon you feel like "Wow that was much harder". And then you go looking for the second dungeon and end-up thinking "WTF ?" when you finally found it. Then you go inside and see the enemies and you are like "WTF are they serious ???!", and then you see the boss "WHAAAAAAT ???" and finally you realize that you missed the item in the dungeon and when you eventually understand how to get it, this is the moment where you REALLY understand how far things can go in game design. This was an eye opener on possibilities in games. Glad I could enjoy this when being 6/7 years old.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

It was. Breath of the Wild returned to these roots in a way.

But if I had to pick one game for its open-world, it would be Phantasy Star I. You could travel to different planets, and you were free to do see very early in the game. This game was truly mind blowing.

Did you play the second quest ? Because the game has a second quest, and it is absolutely brutal, but also quite memorable as well. The word Legend really did apply to the game lol.

When you complete the first dungeon you feel like "Wow that was much harder". And then you go looking for the second dungeon and end-up thinking "WTF ?" when you finally found it. Then you go inside and see the enemies and you are like "WTF are they serious ???!", and then you see the boss "WHAAAAAAT ???" and finally you realize that you missed the item in the dungeon and when you eventually understand how to get it, this is the moment where you REALLY understand how far things can go in game design. This was an eye opener on possibilities in games. Glad I could enjoy this when being 6/7 years old.

I definitely agree that Breath of the Wild out of the 3D games really does harken back the most to the spirit of OG Zelda so does Wind Waker.

I didnt do second quest, I didnt think it would be worth it to be honest. Its a good game but the bad balancing and crazy obtuseness in the second half the game was my least favorite part and having a harder playthrough of that didnt sound appealing. Ive heard Phatasy Star is a good old series, ill have to try it someday, I think I have it on a Sega Collection.

Last edited:

cireza

I didnt do second quest, I didnt think it would be worth it to be honest. Its a good game but the bad balancing and crazy obtuseness in the second half the game was my least favorite part and having a harder playthrough of that didnt sound appealing. Ive heard Phatasy Star is a good old series, ill have to try it someday, I think I have it on a Sega Collection.
Well you need a bit of a specific mindset for these older games, so Phantasy Star is probably going to be also quite challenging. Still hope you give it a try. Good luck.

MagnesD3

Well you need a bit of a specific mindset for these older games, so Phantasy Star is probably going to be also quite challenging. Still hope you give it a try. Good luck.
Oh yeah I usually play them in short bursts if they are old and too difficult/have bad checkpoints, I have alot less patience for time being wasted and alot of older games did this on purpose since there were so few games.

The first half of Zelda flew by though, the exploration was great and the first few dungeons were very manageable, then blue wizzros and very specific situational things came into the picture (also the dungeon music became grating lol).

Last edited:
Legacy_of_goku_2.jpg
I freaking love that game.

Oldest game I beat this year is Dark Souls Remastered.

I'm playing the first Baten Kaitos which is older but haven't beaten it yet and probably won't until the start of next year.

Zero_Karisma

Neo Member
It occurred to me that I had never actually beaten the original Castlevania so it put me on a mission to accomplish that task. Hard game but I did beat it after a million deaths.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Yooka Laylee, i backed them up during the campaign but just now gent the banjo kazooie itch, and sat to finish it up. gameplay wise was kindda disappointed, feels very clunky and unpolished in some mechanics.
Bk is my favorite game, I really had high hopes for this game but sadly quit after 4 hours, it was just mediocre. It felt good to control and I think the worlds expanding from collectables is a great idea but the Npcs, powers, writing and challenges were so mid. It felt like someone who had only watched youtube videos of Banjo Kazooie tried to make a banjo kazooie game, no soul really.

Last edited:

SCB3

Damn, its probably the best Sonic game ive played. I love Sonics tool kit and the focus on speed. Easily my fav 2d Sonic.
The level design is good, great even but the bosses are just the same one with a bit of a twist, its just a bit boring

I played Ghosts n' Goblins (1985) and was puzzled by the final weapon being a shield instead of a cross... North American release is different in that way.

Ghosts-%2527N-Goblins.gif

Chastten

Banned
It's either Final Fantasy III (3D Remake) on Steam or Atelier Marie Remake: The Alchemist of Salburg on Switch, depending on technicalities :p

Marie is only a couple of months old but the game itself is almost 30 years old. FF3 has been out for a while on Steam, but the 3D remake is from 2005ish, and the original game is well over 30 years old. So take your pick.

The Stig

Destruction Derby (dos PC)
Jungle Strike (dos PC) this is hilarious, it has FMV cinematics that are resident evil levels of bad.
Star Trek TNG A final unity (dos PC) my favorite point n click game ever.

Top Bottom