• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the stupidest thing you've done related to gaming? The Mooreberg appreciation thread 😂

buenoblue

I'll start. Back in the PS2 era I bought one of the lord of the ring games from Game shop in the UK. Got home excited and put the disk in and it just kept throwing up a disk read error. Tried over and over.

So I took the game back to the shop and and explained to the staff it didn't work. Then as they were exchanging the game I realized I had picked up the Xbox version 😂😂😂

I then had to explain I needed the PS2 version instead. 😂😂😂

What made it worse was that I went into that shop regularly and had a crush on the girl serving me 😂😂😂

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Was playing Diablo when I realized the fan of my PC was making a LOT of noise, so I decided to remove it to have some peace and quiet while gaming.

A few minutes later I didn't have a PC anymore.

Think I was twelve. Twelve out of ten on the stupid scale, that is. :goog_relieved:

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
When I got Street Fighter EX 3 for PS2, I bought it brand new but the disc was somehow damaged. The game played fine, but had no music, only sound effects. My dumb ass legit thought that EX3 just didn't have music for probably about five years until I played the game at a friend's house and heard music. It dawned on me that I was an idiot, so I went out and bought one of those disc buffer things, used it on the disc, had music and everything after that. Never felt dumber.

Game has a good ass soundtrack too, maybe the best fighter soundtrack of all time, which makes it even more of a sour memory that I played it for years without music.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Bought Half life 2 episode 1 thinking it was just Half Life 2.

Tbf, that was on valve for making the name confusing to begin with.

Oh, and the game couldn't even run on my PC in the end.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The dumbest thing I’ve ever done was break a controller out of anger. But not by throwing it…

See, I had been playing Master mode in a rhythm game called Gitaroo-Man on PS2, and for anyone who’s attempted that, you know it’s holy-shit-hard. After a few days of attempting the same damn song over and over again, I let loose and threw my controller. Nothing happened, the controller was fine.

But then I got more and more frustrated. I kept throwing the controller. Eventually, I actually spiked it on the floor, and that was enough to finally break my beloved DualShock 2.

But that’s not the controller this post is about.

See, after saving up a bit of money and buying a new controller, I decided I obviously couldn’t afford throwing the controller anymore, and promised myself I wouldn’t throw another one. But, stupidly, I kept playing the unbeatable level in Gitaroo-Man.

The frustration kept building, failure after failure. But I held true and did not throw the controller. Instead, I just started gripping it. HARD. Every time I failed, I squeezed the controller harder and harder, with my knuckles going full white and my hands getting a bit tingly.

But I kept playing.

Over ONE WEEK LATER, I still hadn’t beaten this level. But I was close, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a few solid runs, where I made it to the final batch of notes, only to lose it all. The anger continued to build, but my controller remained safe.

Until one run. THE run. I was nailing all of the notes, it was the best I had done, and I knew that if I could just get through the last section, I’d finally conquer this song. There it was… the finish line. The final few notes. Victory was almost mine.

Then it happened. I failed on the VERY. LAST. NOTE. I literally could not have been ANY closer.

The rage boiled over. I could only see red. I squeezed my controller harder than I ever have, but it wasn’t enough. My desire- no, NEED to throw that fucking controller could not be suppressed, but I made myself a promise.

That’s when, in a blurry primal rage, instead of throwing the controller, I went the other direction; I SLAMMED the controller RIGHT on my fucking face. I hit my stupid head SO HARD with that controller, that BOTH analog sticks snapped inward and went limp. I had broken a controller on my face.

The worst part was that I had two circular, analog stick-sized bruises on my forehead for the next few days, which I tried to explain at school that it was some sports accident. (No one was buying it.)

Since then, I don’t think I’ve thrown or broken a controller out of rage. I took a break from Gitaroo-Man for about a month, and when I finally came back, I beat that song on my THIRD try.

That’s definitely the dumbest gaming thing I’ve ever done.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Banned
When I got Street Fighter EX 3 for PS2, I bought it brand new but the disc was somehow damaged. The game played fine, but had no music, only sound effects. My dumb ass legit thought that EX3 just didn't have music for probably about five years until I played the game at a friend's house and heard music. It dawned on me that I was an idiot, so I went out and bought one of those disc buffer things, used it on the disc, had music and everything after that. Never felt dumber.

Game has a good ass soundtrack too, maybe the best fighter soundtrack of all time, which makes it even more of a sour memory that I played it for years without music.
Damn I can almost feel the same hole in my heart just reading this. That had to be an awful realization, especially considering how amazing the soundtrack for that game is!

I bought the Playstation Eyetoy which was fun for a few days (with the bundled games). Then never bothered with it ever again.

41nw-C4G27L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Bought a Series S thinking it would last the generation.

Bought a Series S because I couldn't buy a PS5 at the time as it was sold out (and those who had one listed the console for sale at x2 or x3 times the retail price)

Was happy with the purchase but quickly got bored as there was nothing worth playing on Xbox at the time so I sold it. Some nice features though like quick resume.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Started playing some game in the middle of the night with my open back headphones on except the sound was coming from my home theater system. Problem was the sound was turned up so high that I didn't realize that I was blasting the whole damn house.. I thought the sound was coming from my headphones.

Next thing you know my wife is throwing stuff at me and using some very unlady like words....

Uh Oh Oops GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

JBat

Gold Member
10 year old me got final fantasy 7 and thought something was wrong with my game because the save menu option was grey'd out. This was my first jrpg and I didn't know what a save point was.

Bonus: I tried to buy a year of ps plus but accidentally bought a year of ps now back when that was a thing. Contacted customer service and got a refund. Went to buy the year of ps plus... Did the same damn thing lol. My pride prevented me from refunding it the second time

Spyxos

Gold Member
Bought this crappy game. I think i never even finished 1 round.

61YD9ZYlLIL._SX425_.jpg

I remember when I played cs 1.6. I got some pc upgrade and immediately installed it. But I didn't use almost any screws. When I stood up, my foot hit the PC and the graphics card fell out. After that, all the games were stuttering, including cs.

I have replaced almost everything in the pc but never found the error. After about 1 year I gave up and bought a completely new pc.

nkarafo

Buying all the first wave N64 roms on the original Wii Nintendo VC, without doing research first.

Then i realized i bought a bunch of garbage 50hz PAL roms because i live in Europe, having completely forgotten about the 50hz issue (because supposedly the industry had moved past that long ago) and not expecting Nintendo would make it relevant again.

And the funny thing is, i already had these games on the N64 since they got released. And i already had the 60hz roms to play them properly on a flash cart or on my PC. But i wanted to buy them anyway and use their service, thinking it will be better than the homebrew emulation experience and to support the endeavor. Isn't that hilarious?

I was stupid but got wiser. I never again supported any emulation effort from any company. And turns out i avoided a lot of issues down the road. The homebrew emulation experience was, is and will always be better anyway.

nkarafo

And I moved my beloved homemade arcade machine

And caught by sleeve on the door handle and dropped it on the floor 😭😭😭
Eh, if that makes you feel better, these bartops are rarely any good. Let me guess, Retropie? Some random setup downloaded from arcadepunks? A Pandora's Box?

It sucks but think of it as you got spared from bad/inaccurate/laggy emulation and maybe seek/research for something better.

Fbh

"My friend is going to the US. I'll ask him to buy a 360 for me because it's much cheaper there!!!. Sure, I won't have any warranty but I've never had a console fail on me so I'll just take my chances since normal failure rates for electronics are fairly low and this is a well known brand. It's really unlikely this is going to have some design flaw that will massively increase the failure rate haha"

poodaddy

Gold Member
Damn I can almost feel the same hole in my heart just reading this. That had to be an awful realization, especially considering how amazing the soundtrack for that game is!
Bro....it cut me bad! Lol. Here I am two plus decades later and I've got tons of EX3 songs in my playlists, but I didn't get to hear those tracks while actually playing the game they're from despite playing the game for hundreds of hours.
Oh No Reaction GIF by BrownSugarApp

buenoblue

Eh, if that makes you feel better, these bartops are rarely any good. Let me guess, Retropie? Some random setup downloaded from arcadepunks? A Pandora's Box?

It sucks but think of it as you got spared from bad/inaccurate/laggy emulation and maybe seek/research for something better.
Haha wow.

It's a PC mate. I managed to rebuild it, currently has my old 2070 super ryzen 5 2600 in it. I built it completely by hand, no templates completely custom. Rotating screen, Wii mote light guns, pinball buttons. 22 emulators and mame with a custom maximus arcade frontend.
TiCxex3.jpeg
6lB0QuL.jpeg
c00Yjti.jpeg
Let's see what you built you piece of shit 😂

Edellus

The dumbest thing I’ve ever done was break a controller out of anger. But not by throwing it…

See, I had been playing Master mode in a rhythm game called Gitaroo-Man on PS2, and for anyone who’s attempted that, you know it’s holy-shit-hard. After a few days of attempting the same damn song over and over again, I let loose and threw my controller. Nothing happened, the controller was fine.

But then I got more and more frustrated. I kept throwing the controller. Eventually, I actually spiked it on the floor, and that was enough to finally break my beloved DualShock 2.

But that’s not the controller this post is about.

See, after saving up a bit of money and buying a new controller, I decided I obviously couldn’t afford throwing the controller anymore, and promised myself I wouldn’t throw another one. But, stupidly, I kept playing the unbeatable level in Gitaroo-Man.

The frustration kept building, failure after failure. But I held true and did not throw the controller. Instead, I just started gripping it. HARD. Every time I failed, I squeezed the controller harder and harder, with my knuckles going full white and my hands getting a bit tingly.

But I kept playing.

Over ONE WEEK LATER, I still hadn’t beaten this level. But I was close, I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I had a few solid runs, where I made it to the final batch of notes, only to lose it all. The anger continued to build, but my controller remained safe.

Until one run. THE run. I was nailing all of the notes, it was the best I had done, and I knew that if I could just get through the last section, I’d finally conquer this song. There it was… the finish line. The final few notes. Victory was almost mine.

Then it happened. I failed on the VERY. LAST. NOTE. I literally could not have been ANY closer.

The rage boiled over. I could only see red. I squeezed my controller harder than I ever have, but it wasn’t enough. My desire- no, NEED to throw that fucking controller could not be suppressed, but I made myself a promise.

That’s when, in a blurry primal rage, instead of throwing the controller, I went the other direction; I SLAMMED the controller RIGHT on my fucking face. I hit my stupid head SO HARD with that controller, that BOTH analog sticks snapped inward and went limp. I had broken a controller on my face.

The worst part was that I had two circular, analog stick-sized bruises on my forehead for the next few days, which I tried to explain at school that it was some sports accident. (No one was buying it.)

Since then, I don’t think I’ve thrown or broken a controller out of rage. I took a break from Gitaroo-Man for about a month, and when I finally came back, I beat that song on my THIRD try.

That’s definitely the dumbest gaming thing I’ve ever done.
Lol. I can relate. Not to the point of hurting myself. But I can relate.

I've broken around 4 controllers due to rage. And they weren't accidental breaks. I was actually trying to break them. I made these controllers the objects of my rage. I wanted to tear them apart. And I did. So I've spent around $240 just because some multi-player game got the best of me and I couldn't control myself enough. We'll, it is around $300 now because I very recently broke my current controller and I had to order a new one.

It's stupid and expensive, but luckily it seems to be the only instance where I seem to loose it a little bit. I hope to keep it under control soon rather than to continue wasting money.

Rockman33

I was playing Gears 1 on my Xbox 360 with a 720p tv thinking it looked amazing for about 6 months. I then realized you needed to hit a switch on the chord to enable the HD. And god damn did it look good after that, lol.

nkarafo

Haha wow.

It's a PC mate. I managed to rebuild it, currently has my old 2070 super ryzen 5 2600 in it. I built it completely by hand, no templates completely custom. Rotating screen, Wii mote light guns, pinball buttons. 22 emulators and mame with a custom maximus arcade frontend. Let's see what you built you piece of shit 😂
Hey, that's awesome. Just checking.

Here's some of the stuff i made:

JL60Qte.jpeg

ReBurn

Gold Member
I bought the Playstation Eyetoy which was fun for a few days (with the bundled games). Then never bothered with it ever again.

41nw-C4G27L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Bought a Series S because I couldn't buy a PS5 at the time as it was sold out (and those who had one listed the console for sale at x2 or x3 times the retail price)

Was happy with the purchase but quickly got bored as there was nothing worth playing on Xbox at the time so I sold it. Some nice features though like quick resume.
I would have to say eye toy was mine, too. I was bitten by the bug at first but ultimately that grainy little camera sucked and was a complete waste of money.

StereoVsn

I used to sell a lot/most of my older game when I was younger so I could buy new titles. That included selling off old consoles as well. Sigh…

I stopped doing that shit with PS2 finally… but I sold off whole bunch of Dreamcast games and the console itself for that.

Now, I rebought most of my collection… partially in Japanese (oof at some of the prices), but yeah, still a bit sad at the stupidity.

Then again, I was pretty poor till I actually started working post college so don’t know if I had a lot of choices if I wanted to keep playing newer titles.

Fahdis

Got scammed by a "friend" in school at the end of the year as a kid, who "borrowed" my Sonic 3 for some really shitty games. Think they were Sword of Sodan, World of Illusion and some top down Shooter. Went to his place after a month and found out his whole family moved to another city. Fuck people like this, I never forgot about it. Betrayal.

Top Bottom